Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

illcendiary posted:

Buddy of mine posed an interesting hypothetical/thought exercise earlier. Say there’s a guy who’s a terrible hitter/defender (let’s say OPS ~.500), but no matter what, gets high pitch count ABs. How many pitches per AB would he have to average to be 1. an everyday player 2. an all-star 3. an MVP

You just described every catcher Cleveland has had for the past 4 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sydin posted:

Nah he's consistently had weird hangups about letting the young guys eat and attaches himself to crusty vets like a security blanket. The Hosmer situation was hilariously mismanaged by Ross trying to treat him as an everyday player. Ortega took up a stupid amount of starts last year. Velasquez came up and hit a grand slam in his first game back this year and then Ross inexplicably benched him for a week until he could be sent back down. The Rios and Torrens situations were just bizarre while also being eerily identical to how Ross treated younger bench guys prior with Hermosillo, Robel, Frazier, etc. And yeah, none of these guys are exactly superstars but any potential ability they may have had/have to impact the MLB team is unknown because Ross won't give you any runway unless you're being paid a bunch or over 30.

He's also slavishly dedicated to matchups to the point I'm surprised opposing managers don't gently caress with him more over it. Like he will happily come out and pull a guy having a 3-4, BB, HR day for a PH with a 60 wRC+ because it gives him the handedness matchup.

On one hand the Hosmer situation was bad, but on the other look at what has happened since they got rid of Hosmer. Makes you think...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

The clear and obvious better choice was to just roll with Mervis and give him runway to figure it out. If there are no good options anyway then why not let the rookie try to find his footing instead of squandering AB's on a busted veteran who doesn't factor at all into the future? That was true of Hosmer when he was gobbling up starts at 1B/DH and it's just as true now of Mancini.

Teams don't like to let a guy who's clearly in a deep rut just keep wallowing away in the Majors. Whether that's because they think going back to AAA and working on things and building confidence or because they don't want to draw ire of the fan base for not even pretending to contend by letting a 1b with a .500 OPS keep starting every day idk.

Also I don't think Ross has much input if Mervis stays up or gets sent to Iowa, I'd think that's a FO decision.

I'm not saying Ross is a great manager, I'm fairly ambivalent about him. I just don't think it matters much who is managing, the Cubs aren't doing anything this year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m always a little skeptical of how much control Ross has over personnel or even the lineups. He seems like a guy the FO hired so the FO could maintain control over the lineup.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In general I’d say it’s safe to say a manager isn’t unilaterally deciding who to play at least for any extended pattern especially when it becomes a story. That’s just not how baseball works anymore. The front office is involved and wants to be sure their acquisitions and callups are being utilized as intended. A manager might decide day to day matchups and rest days but like Ross wasn’t the one deciding to play Hosmer. That was a Cub decision from the day he was signed to say he was cut, at least in the macro.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hmm it seems that the Cubs are loving terrible. Puzzling

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1676012874496344068?t=ln9eQ-z3I4ki_URxP2_UQQ&s=19

lol

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

I heard the kids were more into Squirt these days

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1676038749493313539

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Poque posted:

Hmm it seems that the Cubs are loving terrible. Puzzling

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jose Abreu has ~.850 OPS in his last 30 games. Therefore, he is back.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

I sure hope so. He's definitely looked much better lately. Instead of his hits looking like babip miracles his outs are hard ones

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I think I hate this Cubs team even more than I hated last year's team, and I'm pretty sure I hated that team more than any previous iteration in my lifetime. Following the guys in the minors was cool when they were tanking to build that World Series core, but even though I love PCA, there's just not the same juice in the minors. They aren't building a new core down there and they probably aren't buying a core, so they're just an aimless boring mess. There's no Zambrano or Farnsworth or anything to soothe the badness outside of Morel and Stroman, who seems like he's going to be traded. Just a joyless mess of a team.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Trout may have broken his wrist or hamate bone in his left hand on a swing so lmao the Angels are done.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

it's a testament to how incredible a player trout is that he gets hurt like he does and still is already a no doubt hall of famer at his age

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Mike trout has hit within 300 points of .580 in literally every year of his career outside the first one where he didn't even play enough to not count as a rookie the next season.

In a full season. I admire him as much as anyone does, but if he ever plays 140 games again, I will eat my hat.

His days of playing 140+ games a year are over.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mariners closer only gives up 3 runs, sufficient for the win! :toot:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Mariners closer only gives up 3 runs, sufficient for the win! :toot:

I like when Mariners closers give up 3 runs personally :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Could be! I was worried about that little dip in mid-June but it's encouraging!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

illcendiary posted:

Buddy of mine posed an interesting hypothetical/thought exercise earlier. Say there’s a guy who’s a terrible hitter/defender (let’s say OPS ~.500), but no matter what, gets high pitch count ABs. How many pitches per AB would he have to average to be 1. an everyday player 2. an all-star 3. an MVP

Who is Austin Hedges, OP?

N: Triston McKenzie out until effectively the end of the season, he's elected to try and work through the right teres strain before seeing if he needs TJ surgery.

V: :smithicide:

Monathin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 4, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ohtani is finally pitching here in San Diego today, so of course it’s on the 4th when I have long-standing plans with friends.

Maybe some day I will see this man pitch in person.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
July 4th means the anniversary of the 19-inning Mets-Braves game with the Rick Camp dong, hadn't heard the Mets broadcast side of it till stumbling on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spOofaFiuaw

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Good Dog posted:

Trout may have broken his wrist or hamate bone in his left hand on a swing so lmao the Angels are done.

I wouldn't say done. But that's loving bad. Their league batting average is something like fifth, but their RISP hitting is bad. Let me look it up.

"Situational hitting has been a source of frustration for the Angels this year, as their .332 team on-base percentage ranks fifth in the Majors and should lead to more runs being scored. But they’re hitting just .246 with runners in scoring position, which ranks tied for 24th among the 30 MLB clubs."

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-trout-exits-after-foul-ball

They need to buy some pitchers yesterday. Their offense is there.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
I'm glad I didn't watch the Cubs game yesterday, I would've still been mad today. Holy crap, what was that? :yikeseroo:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

orioles need the all star break so bad as do I.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Naz al-Ghul posted:

I'm glad I didn't watch the Cubs game yesterday, I would've still been mad today. Holy crap, what was that? :yikeseroo:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

loving blackout rules I can't even watch the godsamn game when it's the free game of the day.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

it's a testament to how incredible a player trout is that he gets hurt like he does and still is already a no doubt hall of famer at his age

I don't know if he's still on pace, but for quite a while he was at or better than Mantle at his age, stats wise.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Naz al-Ghul posted:

I was there. In person. It sucked.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

Remember the "joke" that if you split Barry Bonds' career in half you'd have two HoF careers? See if you can spot which one is Bonds through age 31 season and Trout through age 31 season:

Player A: Mike Trout (I didn't realize he got HBP so much)
Player B: Barry Bonds (the SB probably gives it away)

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

No Safe Word posted:

Remember the "joke" that if you split Barry Bonds' career in half you'd have two HoF careers? See if you can spot which one is Bonds through age 31 season and Trout through age 31 season:

The three bunts on Player B are killing me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

No Safe Word posted:

The K:BB ratios give it away pretty easily, Trout actually does strike out a fair bit and IIRC only has 1-2 seasons where he managed to walk more than he struck out.

Still highlights just how absolutely insane Trout has been though, yes. It's funny that he just doesn't really exist in the modern popular consciousness of all time sports greats because he's also an extremely normal dude who doesn't really exude much of a force of personality. You can't even really blame it on the Angels, because Ohtani has managed to garner way more media attention on the same team.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 4, 2023

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

July 4th means the anniversary of the 19-inning Mets-Braves game with the Rick Camp dong, hadn't heard the Mets broadcast side of it till stumbling on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spOofaFiuaw

Mets announcers specifically had to mention Camp had never homered. They deserved everything coming to them.

Skip Caray used to comment that it wasn't the only time he'd come home after a ballgame at 5 a.m., but it was the first time he'd done it with a clear conscience.

The Atlanta Constitution's press deadline meant they only had a game report through 16 innings. Camp homered in the 18th. Somehow, the Journal has the whole report in their July 5 edition. They also squeezed in the headline for the final edition on 1A: Stadium fireworks go off at 4:01 a.m.. There was an estimate of 8,,000-10,000 left in the stadium at this time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

gently caress.

Trout's hamate bone fractured.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-trout-has-left-wrist-injury

Also, Judge is discussing surgery. Hasn't got back to hitting yet. Outlook - Not Good.

Which is a shame. I enjoy watching a God Damned Giant hit tanks.

https://www.mlb.com/news/aaron-judge-might-need-offseason-surgery-on-toe

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Add Altuve to injury list. Hurt during batting practice

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Monathin posted:

Who is Austin Hedges, OP?

N: Triston McKenzie out until effectively the end of the season, he's elected to try and work through the right teres strain before seeing if he needs TJ surgery.

V: :smithicide:

I know he’s still very young and has a lot of time to get past it, but he’s looking more and more like Danny Salazar 2.0 at this point. Great pitcher, tons of potential, just can’t stay healthy. Here’s hoping he comes back strong in 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1676312211508318209

He stinks but they replaced him with a random minor leaguer. They got him to be a clubhouse leader so this seems symbolic.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I hear former beloved Padre veteran and clubhouse leader Eric Hosmer is available. :)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sydin posted:

I hear former beloved Padre veteran and clubhouse leader Eric Hosmer is available. :)

4x rawlings gold glove winner eric hosmer? wow, can't believe this opportunity, how is he available??

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs should bring back Hosmer and issue a public apology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Goddamn rain delay with the Rangers up 6 to 2 with two outs in the bottom of the eighth. That's close enough right? Surely the Rangers bullpen won't blow this one too? Right? Can we just call it a win now please? I really can't take another bullpen disaster.