Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Official Site
"Would you be in a band with me for the rest of your life?"
It's the end of spring of Anon's first year at Haneoka Girls' High School, and almost everyone seems to be in a band.
In order to fit in with the rest of the class, Anon, who started school late, scurries to find band members, and finds out that "Haneoka's Weirdo" Tomori has yet to join any bands.
So, Anon resolves to speak with Tomori at any cost, but...

Episodes 1 through 3 are currently available through Crunchyroll and Muse Asia, with new episodes on Thursdays.

This series takes place in the same universe as the previous anime seasons/mobile game at the current period of the timeline, but doesn't require in-depth previous knowledge of the franchise as it's focusing on a new group, with references to the other seven bands and cameo appearances by existing characters.

MyGO!!!!! has a YouTube channel with animated shorts, a radio program, clips from the live band, and music/lyric videos (unfortunately all unsubbed but at least watch the Silhouette Dance MV)
Something that is (fan)subtitled is the first half of the MyGO!!!!! no Shiori mini-documentary, where the voice actresses/band members talk about themselves and the group.

If anyone watches this and is interested in previous animated content, there's:
-Three seasons of anime
-Four short comedy series: Pastel Life, BanG Dream! Girls Band Party!☆PICO, BanG Dream! Girls Band Party!☆PICO~OHMORI~, BanG Dream! Girls Band Party!☆PICO FEVER!
-The Episode of Roselia movies, the Poppin' Dream movie, and the Morfonication OVA (if you want to go find this).

There's also the mentioned mobile rhythm gacha game with lots of stories, mostly irrelevant to this series, but you can read any of them here if you want. Feel free to talk about any of the series content here, even the live concerts.

KariOhki fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this anime kicks rear end. ep 1 and 2 were good but ep 3 was probably the best individual episode ive seen this year

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the first three episodes of this loving rule and are some of the best anime i've seen all year. looks nice, is deftly written, and gets the music nerd poo poo right in a satisfying way (loved in ep1 when the piano song was maid with the flaxen hair). if your eyes glaze over at girls starting a band or gacha or whatever i strongly urge you to give this a shot anyway.

the bit in the second episode where a girl walks into an open mic at a coffee shop, does two minutes of evh-style shred over plot developing conversation, says "i'm satisfied", and walks out is one of the funniest things i've seen in an anime

also like half the girls have seven strings and i'm hoping that someone is lowkey a metalhead

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 4, 2023

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
ESP Guitars did a short article detailing the guitars and bass models used by MyGO!!!!!

I forget who shown had a seven string guitar though I know it's a thing that's been noticed.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

KariOhki posted:

ESP Guitars did a short article detailing the guitars and bass models used by MyGO!!!!!

I forget who shown had a seven string guitar though I know it's a thing that's been noticed.

there's two - the crychic guitarist's pink schecter and then the black/gold schecter in the sumimi video

the reliced potbelly is sick

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

My Go is really good but I do recommend checking out season 2 and 3. More typical musix/idol anime but still really fun. Season 1 can be skipped cause it's just there.....

Episode 3 of My Go just hits really hard especially how it recontextualize's the band breaks up. Just hits extra hard. Also I like how in the quiet moments the show isn't afraid to linger on shots or moments to show that the entire cast has issues they are working through

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I don't watch much band anime, so was kinda disappointed in episode 3 to see that it looks like the main songs will be unsubtitled due to whatever lyric licensing crap still prevents that. I wish they'd find some way around that by this point, seems like kind of a critical thing to miss out on when the lyricist is such an important character so far.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Season 1 can be skipped cause it's just there.....

I'm a season 1 supporter since despite the sometimes budget animation, it has really good music direction and backgrounds, and Saya's arc about midway through is very good. It's basically a light version of what is shown so far in MyGO's season.
Seasons 2 and 3 are good enough but suffer a bit from "we have to introduce all these characters to the anime-only fans" in the front part, splitting the main plot up between the seasons. Probably fine to burst through now, but at the time of airing since Season 3 was delayed it hurt a bit.

Hargrimm posted:

I don't watch much band anime, so was kinda disappointed in episode 3 to see that it looks like the main songs will be unsubtitled due to whatever lyric licensing crap still prevents that. I wish they'd find some way around that by this point, seems like kind of a critical thing to miss out on when the lyricist is such an important character so far.

Yeah, it's rough for these music-theme/heavy series - there's been a fan translation of the ending theme "Shiori" done, at least.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

when anon goes "i can play anything, even f!" then the chord is muted i loving died laughing

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Episode 4 highlights for me are mostly related to Anon again.
First by breaking the rules of anime and making everyone sit down and talk to each other.
Then, not getting the popularity boost by finally joining a band like she expected. She really seems to be trying to leverage becoming popular as seen later with taking over their first meeting, wanting to be lead vocals and guitar, etc. I think it'll bite her in the rear end sooner than later.
There's some outside-this-anime knowledge about some of the other characters featured so far, including the new one appearing today talking to Taki so I won't go too far into that but I'm really intrigued to see how things with them unfold.

Also, Rana.

Southern Cassowary posted:

when anon goes "i can play anything, even f!" then the chord is muted i loving died laughing

This is good detail that I didn't catch since I know nothing about guitar!

KariOhki fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 6, 2023

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

lol hell yeah. i'm sure we'll get some emotional backstory about why she needs to be the center of attention, but i kind of just love anon being an overconfident scheming dope who still manages to bring this broken friend group back together.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i love the cadence of their meeting at ring. lots of cool visual flourishes like the extended under the table leg conversation, or the way the scene gradually places more emphasis on the heterochromia guitarist (sorry i don't know if you've been named yet, extremely badass guitarist girl) in the background. the first 3 episodes absolutely crushed the tragic elements, so i'm really excited they were able to bring the same level of direction to a much more upbeat sequence. also they still managed to weave in my favorite visual motif of the show so far: soyo finger closeups

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Big Leg posted:

lol hell yeah. i'm sure we'll get some emotional backstory about why she needs to be the center of attention, but i kind of just love anon being an overconfident scheming dope who still manages to bring this broken friend group back together.

same, having her be a kinda scummy climber was a good choice
her interactions with taki (best character, i hope she gets her girl) are fun

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

KariOhki posted:

This is good detail that I didn't catch since I know nothing about guitar!

there's so much conveyed in this scene by guitar knowledge - whoever wrote this is absolutely a guitarist or did their homework. the chords she shows off - c, g, a minor - are all incredibly basic and among the first things you'd learn on the instrument and she plays the basic cowboy chord versions of them that you'd absolutely learn first to strum yellow submarine or whatever. the f chord is kind of the final boss of this early beginner stage in learning guitar because it requires barring across the entire neck of the guitar with your index finger which can be tricky to learn. she kind of fumbles with c and absolutely is in the middle of the constantly loving up learning to barre stage, so she's not a proficient guitarist at all.

they also get extra credit for animating her fingering each of these chords properly as she says them, a flourish only people like me are going to notice and appreciate.

anon being smugly satisfied with barely being proficient at the basics and thinking that entitles her to being the lead in a band, taki's incredulous "are you serious?" and asking soyo if she's holding back to keep the friend group together (they both absolutely realize anon can't play at this moment as they're both competent musicians, but taki is tired of anon's poo poo while soyo is trying to play peacemaker), anon responding with "guitar begins and ends with chords, though as a drummer i'm sure you wouldn't understand" (this line is incredible), tomori just being into it anyway because she loves the human interactions that come with being in a band, anon kind of freaking out when they want to play spring sunlight, it all works because they were smart enough to go "drat it's really loving funny if anon is such an overconfident dipshit that she thinks it's impressive to barely be able to play a c chord".

chucking rana into this mix as a catalyst when she's already an incredibly competent musician as well as someone who is clearly a unique character even with what little we've seen of her is going to be incredible.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 7, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Tomori was the star of the first three episodes but Anon is making plays

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the basic character interactions in this show are just genuinely hilarious. anon and taki going after each other never gets old, the 'why are you even here' when anon kept jumping into the other 3 trying to make up was amazing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The aside Anon had at the band meeting was just a really great visual gag. Anon just has big gremlin energy going too

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Something I remembered from episode 1 about Anon and her guitar.

When she takes it out, she has to blow dust off of it and it's also severely out of tune, which she seems surprised about. Combined with what was seen in episode 4 and she definitely seems to be a novice and potentially not yet serious about playing.

It's interesting to compare to Kasumi from season 1, who also started out as a complete newbie but ended up with a dedication to learn how to play so she could form the band she wanted.
Also I'm taking Anon offering the castanets and tambourine to Tomori to play as references to previous content - Poppin' Party's Arisa plays castanets in season 1 episode 3 when dragged on stage to perform:

And in the first iteration of the franchise (tl;dr it launched in 2015 and had a reboot to the current version in 2016), Arisa played both tambourine and keyboard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

with anon's personality she probably bought the guitar just because it was trendy and didnt really play it

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

both bocchi and anon started playing guitar to be popular but their guitar skills/social skills are inverse

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Anon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jQkxsEbnS4

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Megamissen posted:

both bocchi and anon started playing guitar to be popular but their guitar skills/social skills are inverse

I love the idea of Anon as mirror universe Bocchi. They even have the same bubblegum pink hair!

Edit: and it occurs to me that would make Tomori as the singer this band's counterpart to Kita, and she fits alarmingly well as Kita's bizarro version being a socially awkward introvert as opposed to an extrovert who's trying too hard to please. And Taki is also acting as the polar opposite to Nijika and she's the drummer and also has a thing for Tomori, who as reverse-Kita corresponds to the person in the band Nijika was never really teased as having a relationship with... and Soyo is the other guitarist and basically diametrically different in character from Ryo.......

I think I just gazed into the abyss.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 8, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

I love the idea of Anon as mirror universe Bocchi. They even have the same bubblegum pink hair!
also the drummer is mean to her instead of nice to her

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I see Anon as a weird mix of reverse Bocchi and also Yuri is my Job's Hime with her facade (but she isn't even good at that either)

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I wasn’t sure about the animation in episode 1 but yeah this show fuckin rules. I also laughed real hard at Anon’s lovely F chord.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
keep thinking about anon's stupid rear end smile she does while scheming in the tub

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I see Anon as a weird mix of reverse Bocchi and also Yuri is my Job's Hime with her facade (but she isn't even good at that either)

overconfident + slightly more genuine hime is exactly who i was thinking of as well.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Ok, I am putting this in spoiler tags because although its already released information it hasnt happened in the show yet:

Lmao, Sakiko and all the other girls who aren't in MyGO are going to pool their collective drama elemental powers together into a drama singularity of a band: https://bandori.fandom.com/wiki/Ave_Mujica

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that super interesting and I wonder what their story is. They have a super unique aesthetic that stands out for Bandori though and I'm super glad the series is being more experimental with new bands and also actually allowing the cast to grow up

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
The drip feed of information for Ave Mujica early on was also interesting as it had a ARG element to it leading up to their 0th live (I went to it, was pretty good though a bit short). Plus figuring that Sakiko and three of the other character shown so far end up there just based on the character art and people who can hear and see better than me matching the seiyuu.
The band having stage names and being masked also probably ties into what happened to Sakiko that made her disband CRYCHIC - ending up in a group where she doesn't get found out.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the bit where anon goes "gently caress practice, i'm watching youtube" is so relatable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some very funny english, but fun ep. i like that the show was like 'yeah anon kind of did need to get chewed out for being so wishywashy.' instead of treating taki as the bad guy for being mean to her

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

a lot of growth this episode, anon and tomori are the obvious ones but i think this is the first time taki has left tomori protection mode and acted on what she herself wants
---
there was a very ominous face-below-the-eyes shot of soyo

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Anon was extremely relatable in this episode with both not wanting to practice and watching notYoutube instead, and being a "smart kid" and then feeling like an utter failure and giving up at the first sign of any obstacle.
The group once again having a sit down and actually talk about your feelings moment that lead to Anon actually getting called out was also very good and I'm glad the series is continuing those.
The lighting and framing in all of the scenes is also continuing to be very good and such an improvement over seasons 2 and 3.

Relating to the before mentioned "released information that isn't in the show" that girl in the video Anon was watching is the final Ave Mujica member

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

The anglos were responsible for this...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tomori's writing/drawing/lyrics to cheer up Anon was just a great touch too.

Also learned the Band's name is a pun cause the Kanji for maigo in English is Lost Girls

Edit: also Anon both running at her first obstacle but also not getting any support as well is super reletable and definitely hits home with my experience from advanced class

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 14, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

迷子 (maigo) means 'lost child,' specifically. it means that literally so its used for like, literal kids getting lost at shopping malls or whatever, but it can carry a slight 'carried away by spirits' or such meaning too. its used a few times in spirited away, and the kids who got lost in the lost woods in ocarina of time and became skull kids are referred to using it once, iirc.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's so fitting for them in a way...both the meaning and pun

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Megamissen posted:

a lot of growth this episode, anon and tomori are the obvious ones but i think this is the first time taki has left tomori protection mode and acted on what she herself wants
---
there was a very ominous face-below-the-eyes shot of soyo

the way they frame soyo is so interesting to me. she always sounds so pleasant but every close up is either shrouded in darkness or a despondent quote that zooms in on her eyes and fingers. or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
some things i really liked about this episode:

1. the noise they use when anon falls down and the shot of her eyes after meeting her middle school friends are just brutal
2. all good anime should have a quality nighttime train crossing scene. glad bang dream checked off this box early (bonus points for immediately cut to a sunny day)
3. the itchy penguin
4. rana is too fricking cool