Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that rana shows up for 3 minutes at the start then fucks off for the rest of the episode. iconic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
it would be pretty funny if she just showed up and left after a few minutes every single episode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im hoping her 'immediately knew the song' tech from this ep means she wont actually practice with them and will just randomly show up five minutes before they go on stage

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Rana doesn't have a school or year listed in game yet so I fully believe all she does is show up to Ring to play and eat parfaits

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
Soyo is definitely making some kind of play, but I can't tell if she's being supportive or manipulative.

Tomori attaching hard to Anon was kind of cute, though next episode preview makes it look like Taki's going to take it a bit hard.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

It's funny that people are reading sinister motives from Soyo, I'm not getting that at all. She just seems really depressed and blaming herself for the breakup and not really over it.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
The most sinister I could see Soyo getting is using the new band as a reason to get Sakiko and Mutsumi back, and booting Anon out to reform CRYCHIC instead of settling/moving on with what-will-become-MyGO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she seems like shes manipulating the others a bit, but i imagine her goal is just to try and reconnect with sakiko and mutsumi, yeah.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

KariOhki posted:

The most sinister I could see Soyo getting is using the new band as a reason to get Sakiko and Mutsumi back, and booting Anon out to reform CRYCHIC instead of settling/moving on with what-will-become-MyGO.

This is where I'm at, and it's her scenes with Mutsumi that make me think it. Mutsumi was pretty clear that she didn't like being in the band and Soyo was really pushing her "getting the band back together (literal)" thing and Mutsumi just seemed intensely uninterested.

If it does end up being true, I could see her being the last person to be invested into MyGO!!!!!, since Anon and Tomari basically brought each other in, it looks like Tomari might bring Taki around on Anon and Rana just seems down for whatever.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Soyo stands out because she reads as false. Everyone else in the main band right now might not be exactly forthright (given this show is about the difficulties of communication) but they are at least honest in the way they are presented and in how they interact and go about trying to get what they want. Anon is putting on a show and trying to be popular, but she's obvious about that and has been from minute one. Soyo herself pointed out that if Taki hadn't confronted her about it her posturing was going to come to a head eventually. Meanwhile Taki has made no secret that she is super protective of Tomori and that's a major motivation for her, and we got an entire episode from inside Tomori's head so we have a sense of what she's like and what she struggles with.

Soyo though? Out of all the characters who've got a lot of screen time Soyo is the one person the show hasn't really opened up about. The way she constantly talks about everyone getting along and talking with each other to solve their problems is fascinating because it feels hollow. It comes across as kind of naïve actually, and extremely idealistic in a way that the show really isn't. I wouldn't say the series is "cynical" per se, but it's grounded enough and realistic enough in the way it treats its characters that Soyo's approach of "let's all talk it out and be friends" feels really at odds with the story so far. The entire show is predicated on a communication failure splintering a band, so that Soyo is still banging on about how everyone should just talk it out and get along with each other tells us something about her. Specifically this suggests she is actually deeply naïve and/or possibly in denial, or that there's something more going on with her and she's putting on a front. Given all the lingering shots with her and all the times that Soyo has actually been aware of people's problems I'd put my money on option number two.

It would also fit the show to a T if the person who constantly goes on about how everyone should be open and honest communicate their feelings is also the person who is least honest about what's going on in her own head.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its interesting because the cast talking things out has led to better results so far, but the difference between how soyo frames it and what actually happens is pretty clear. in crychic's case it wasnt just a communication breakdown it was that everyone kept the negative things bottled up. soyo seems to have realized a lack of communication was a problem but she doesnt seem to get that conflict is a natural part of things. she allows it with anon and taki, but lowkey it feels like part of that is that she doesnt really see anon as part of their group. when it comes to conflict where taki or tomori are being questioned shes quick to shut it down.

shes constantly making excuses for taki to anon but the moment taki tears into anon soyo goes 'well you had a point'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, id need to go back and check if it was just the subs or if its a nuance that was conveyed in Japanese, but there's a line in episode 2 where Soyo refers to crychic in the present tense. if shes just using Anon as part of some bizarre scheme to try and get crychic back together, thatd explain a lot.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Soyo has mentioned before to Mutsumi about wanting to bring her back into the band which Mutsumi has not shown any interest and I'm not sure if Soyo is not catching it or just naively thinks if they get together they'll be able to work through things

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

the spinny from-the-ceiling shot when stray cat entered was great
taki keeps being best
the scene of tomori practicing singing at home was very funny
soyo trying to get the original crychic back together seems more or less confirmed (although by having anon misinterpret her words she helped forge the mygo together)

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Anon finally gets serious, but feels ignored.
Taki takes Soyo and Tomori's offers to help as an insult instead as a genuine offer, which is bad for the "we need to talk things out" and general way bands end up working out in this franchise where it's all about working together - maybe that's a thing IRL too, I've never been in a band.
Soyo confirms her goal is reforming CRYCHIC, not moving on.
Tomori is caught up in all this and I'm feeling like she'll catch on to all the above and snap somehow. Her way of practicing was very much in line with how she is too.
Rana is cat :3: Or kitten since she's a year younger than the rest?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Soyoy waiting every day to meet Saki but instead meeting Anon/Tomori is just gonna make the argument even more painful as Anon definitely thinks Soyo is being helpful while Soyo is just ducking out on everything Anon does (Her not joining Anon/Tomori when they went to look for Taki is a big sign)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Soyoy waiting every day to meet Saki but instead meeting Anon/Tomori is just gonna make the argument even more painful as Anon definitely thinks Soyo is being helpful while Soyo is just ducking out on everything Anon does (Her not joining Anon/Tomori when they went to look for Taki is a big sign)

Given the way she's acting Soyo's schtick of constantly talking about how everyone should just talk things out and work together to solve everyone's problems is going to blow up in her face in a big way, and likely very soon. It's really clear from this episode that whatever band she's in right now it isn't MyGO. She's been treating the band entirely as a way to try and get Crychic back together, and regardless of how it shakes out Sakiko that ship has sailed. Say what you will about Taki (and the show did) she is working really hard to try and get the band together in a way that Soyo hasn't really. You got it in one, the fact she completely sat out the search for Taki is absolutely damning.

I think my favorite line of the episode, though, is Taki's classmate who mentioned she was doing gigs for three different bands in one of the earlier episodes telling Taki she's jealous that Taki has a band she can worry about. There is an extraordinary amount packed into just that one line.

I am both looking forward to and dreading the next episode. I have a nasty suspicion this first concert isn't going to go very well. In fact I suspect it falling apart might be what finally gets the band on the same page.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Taki's line about 'I can't do it like Sakiko can' while looking directly at Tomori was a lot. She cares a lot about Tomori but it doesn't feel like she gets her in the way Saki seemed to, and it also feels like Tomori senses that. Not that Tomori dislikes her, she clearly trusts her, but she seems to click with Anon much more.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah it's pretty clear Tomori wants Anon in the band and I think Taki gets it now but Soyo doesn't...which is gonna be interesting when it blows up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/unicococ/status/1683659717800001538

i like that the writer's been putting relationship charts up on twitter after every episode and they keep getting more and more convoluted

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also for translation:

Anon -> Taki: Don't run away!
Taki -> Anon: I'm not running away!
Taki -> Tomori: Precious and cute.
Rana -> Tomori: Interesting.
Anon <-> Tomori: Let's move on together?
Taki -> Sakiko: Inferiority complex
Soyo -> Sakiko: I'm planning an ambush.
Sakiko -> Soyo: She's too persistent.
Sakiko <-> Mutsumi: Childhood friends.
Sakiko -> Tomori: ?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
well, that was painful

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

had to take several breaks to get through the first half

i liked that anon turned to taki when she was having trouble

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
That episode took many swings between "Oh dear..." and "Oh whew!" before finally landing on "Oh poo poo"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rana giving tomori's dramatic confession a backing track was the best gag so far

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Megamissen posted:

had to take several breaks to get through the first half

i liked that anon turned to taki when she was having trouble

those super long dutch angle shots + the ticking clock as the only background noise for like 5 minutes is so uncomfortable i love it.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Endorph posted:

rana giving tomori's dramatic confession a backing track was the best gag so far

that's my favorite part of the episode. it's so absurd but it's also such a sweet and unexpected moment of support from rana

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

Yeah that was great and it leading into a song was amazing.

The fact Soyo shut down in the second song cause it was a Crychic one/she caught Saki in the crowd was rough and the show made it pretty clear she wasn't really part of the band than. Her just sulking was everyone was just getting into it hurt

Also Saki's breakdown wasn't what I was expecting. Really curious as to why she left now

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Thick enough to cut with a knife as they say.

I love that the framing of a couple of shots made it clear that right then and there Soyo wanted more than anything to ditch the band and chase after Sakiko. I also have to wonder if part of her outburst at the end was partially resentment, after spending god knows how long trying to track down Saki it must absolutely be messing her up that it was "Anon's Band" that finally pulled her out of hiding.

God this show is good. And the CG models aren't super fancy but they are used beautifully, the animation of Saki stumbling and nearly tripping on the stairs absolutely nailed the motion on it.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
The full MV for Hekiten Bansou was uploaded, so we can hear the first part of the song "properly" now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsO9_fZP2Uc

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

KariOhki posted:

The full MV for Hekiten Bansou was uploaded, so we can hear the first part of the song "properly" now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsO9_fZP2Uc

I love how it looks like Anon, Soyo, Taki, and Tomori are working through their issues and bonding/crying and Rana is just smiling like this is the time of her life

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
She even shoves her guitar into the big hand holding circle :lol:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
That was definitely painful to watch but it really made that ending and stinger land. I really love how well realized all of the characters are, and how we finally got to see Soyo snap. Can't wait to see where it goes next.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
gently caress, this show is so good.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

my favorite thing about mygo's music is their use of vocal harmony, it's so pretty and fits the music perfectly.

Endorph posted:

using it to transition in spring sunlight was godlike performing too, the part where everyone realizes what's happening ruled

Big Leg posted:

those super long dutch angle shots + the ticking clock as the only background noise for like 5 minutes is so uncomfortable i love it.

i loved the shot where tomori and taki are on the couch. they're only in like a third of the frame and it captures so much of the mood of the dressing room.

this show is so loving good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I enjoyed this fanfic

https://archiveofourown.org/works/49018381

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I'm glad that everyone has settled on Rana being a literal cat, I've seen probably five versions of this meme done

https://twitter.com/ah_hahauccu/status/1686177871365382146

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/unicococ/status/1686880898640478212

the relationship charts are becoming more and more incomprehensible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope soyo gets therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Soyo going from "we need to talk things out so there's no misunderstandings" to being the one to avoid people is pretty good character (un)development, and it's really in your face that this entire time she's only cared about reforming CRYCHIC and does not like being called out on that.

The long silence after Sakiko leaves with just her and Mutsumi there and barely any movement was great.

I think now the one minor dislike I have of the series is Rana purely being comedic relief and also an enigma, in a sea of characters who have all had much more development. Since this is part of a multimedia franchise, she'll probably end up getting some down the line, but for just this anime it's really visible she exists to be a cat, with I guess her only insight being that Tomori/the others are most interesting to her when they're all together and/or have a strong conviction for what they want to do, and boring (and therefore not worth her time) when they're not.