Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, I think that suits Rana's role. That joke in the cafe about woman versus girls, and then her calling the others 'boring girls' instead of 'interesting women' - Rana already sees herself as developed, she's confident in her skills and in what she does. It's probably why the cafe staff/bands - a lot of whom are in college - are already familiar with her, and why she likes cats, she isn't the type of person to hang out with actual people her own age. So in a sense, she's lonely too.

Of course, it'd be nice if we could get some insight into her home life or past to explain how she got that way, but I think you can read into her character to give her some depth if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's fine, there's drama enough in the rest of the cast.

I'm glad that Soyo's drama isn't resolved this episode. Also jeez, girl...

I kinda suspect right now that Crychic actually sucked to be part of. We were shown how great it is specifically from Tomori's POV, and we know that she's bad at reading social cues. Taki is just happy to be with Tomori no matter what. Soyo's "we should have talked more so there isn't any misunderstandings" looks a lot like "I should have talked more and gaslit/manipulated/guilt tripped everyone into staying around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

It's fine, there's drama enough in the rest of the cast.

I'm glad that Soyo's drama isn't resolved this episode. Also jeez, girl...

I kinda suspect right now that Crychic actually sucked to be part of. We were shown how great it is specifically from Tomori's POV, and we know that she's bad at reading social cues. Taki is just happy to be with Tomori no matter what. Soyo's "we should have talked more so there isn't any misunderstandings" looks a lot like "I should have talked more and gaslit/manipulated/guilt tripped everyone into staying around.

Mutsumi's 'being in this band wasn't fun. Not even once.' comes across very harsh in the moment but everything we've seen in later episodes has shown Mutsumi to be fairly reasonable.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

what was up with rana making the staff member send the the message for her?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cats can't type

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

Eh, I think that suits Rana's role. That joke in the cafe about woman versus girls, and then her calling the others 'boring girls' instead of 'interesting women' - Rana already sees herself as developed, she's confident in her skills and in what she does. It's probably why the cafe staff/bands - a lot of whom are in college - are already familiar with her, and why she likes cats, she isn't the type of person to hang out with actual people her own age. So in a sense, she's lonely too.

Of course, it'd be nice if we could get some insight into her home life or past to explain how she got that way, but I think you can read into her character to give her some depth if you want.

I think it just stands out to me since she's the only one to not have any weight from drama. I'm sure it'll turn out fine once the band is actually...y'know, a functioning band, and one character being more of a comedic relief or already developed character will be fine - I think every one of the seven other groups has one like that.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

rana being a cat with van halen shred skills is a fine character as long as you don't overdo it, and i think they've done a good job with that so far.

the bit where soyo was googling if people can see if you've been blocked on messaging was brutal

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The most telling, and perhaps most damning bit of the episode for Soyo was her saying straight to Mutsumi that it was is all her fault to guilt trip her into getting to Sakiko. That is an incredibly toxic thing to say, especially from little Miss "let's talk it out and come to an understanding".

This episode was absolutely brutal to Soyo both implicitly and explicitly, but I can't say I didn't see it coming and perhaps I can even say she had it coming. The scene at the end of the episode says straight out that she doesn't actually care about the band that she is currently in and moreover it calls out her hypocrisy about it. And the hell of it is I'm not sure she realizes how two-faced she's being.

And with the next episode being called "disbanding" I suspect the fallout is going to continue apace. Oddly, I do think that Soyo probably will turn the corner when she realizes she's the one who's destroying a band and hurting people this time. I really don't think she's a bad person, and I think she does believe the stuff she talks about when it comes to communication and smoothing things over, but I also think she has a really serious blind spot when it comes to herself and to Crychic.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This episode sure was a lot for Soyo and while she had it coming I felt for her given I remember teens getting attached to social groups and than reacting badly when they fell apart

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah her reaction this ep hit a bit to close to home lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How bad is the Bang Dream game? Is it terribly exploitative?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's not bad for Gacha in that you get a decent amount of free crystal and if all you want is to read the story and play the songs free units are more than good enough for that. They give you all the original music and covers don't take too long to get the in game currency for. Plus they've added a spark system so if you have 300 rolls you can guarantee a character you want

However if gacha is a concern even if it isn't bad and you can read Japanese you can get the Switch game which has no gatcha. It doesn't get updates AFAIK but is a way to play it

Game is fun even if I have never forgive it for not having covers of Kaze ni Nare, Pageant or Ikari no Jysuhin. You own New Japan Bushiroad!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also one big thing it has going over other music based games is the cast is aging. One of the recent events had a bunch of the cast on a graduationtrip

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
The English version of the game is about 7 or 8 months behind where the Japanese version is and slowly closing the gap until, I believe, it reaches 2-3 months behind. So the holiday/seasonal events don't match up to the correct (northern hemisphere) season anymore, in exchange for whenever the game shuts down, English players won't be missing out on a year of story. The MyGO anime takes place after all the graduation events and year advancement that the Japanese version finished up back in the spring.

It's a solid rhythm game and as stated, the gacha isn't strictly necessary unless you really care about doing well in events - all the fun character stories attached to the gacha cards are available to read online.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the gacha units have very little impact on gameplay unless you care deeply about ranking on leaderboards so its very easy to ignore.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It helps the music is really good but more diverse than say Love Live's game due to each band having different styles . Plus some nice covers that cover a decently wide variety of shows from Kids anime to late night shows

Of course Japan has stuff we don't get cause as much as the music rights has gotten way better some companies still gonna geo lock stuff

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ep 9 This has to be the lowest point, right? Right? Right?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Apraxin posted:

well, that was painful
just gonna make this same post every episode i guess, aaaaaaa

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It hurts so good

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Apraxin posted:

well, that was painful

Endorph posted:

i hope soyo gets therapy
And I cried at the end, that shot of Tomori collapsing leading right into the ending theme hurt.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rip

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love the wistful preview jingle. Especially the woodwind at the end

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Apraxin posted:

well, that was painful

Best/worst scene was the bit where Taki brought in a ringer. That entire sequence was rough.

Shoutouts to the show for doing multiple episode's worth of backstory on Soyo in exactly 10 seconds with just her changing her surname on her notebook.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

This bang dream is turning into a bang nightmare

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Bang, the dream is dead.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Omnicrom posted:

Best/worst scene was the bit where Taki brought in a ringer. That entire sequence was rough.

as painful as it was, i really appreciated umiri's blunt message of hope to a complete stranger.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
soyos memories of crychic being sepia filtered and entirely about the process of cataloguing her being in a band is such a cool contrast with those scenes from tomori's perspective.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You know for how badly Soyo is handling things Taki sure is loving up even more in the opposite direction this week. Just casually tossing stray bullets at Anon :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Crowd goes feral https://twitter.com/ForrevaEiEn/status/1690795521420718080?s=20

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Forreva's got a lot of good posts and replies to people who went to the live.

Also the setlist:
https://twitter.com/ForrevaEiEn/status/1690334251349344258
And first album announced (includes Haruhikage!):
https://twitter.com/bang_dream_mygo/status/1690322802891751425

Next live is November 4th as part of BanG Dream! 12th Live at their largest venue yet, roughly four times bigger in capacity than yesterday. I'll be going to all three days, first time seeing MyGO!!!!! and all of Poppin'Party for me.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

How does the live show for this work exactly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

How does the live show for this work exactly
its just a concert with the VAs where they do in character skits between songs

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
One of the driving forces and draws behind the franchise originally was the seiyuu who are voicing the characters also play the same instruments and do live concerts as them. It was more of a thing before the gacha game where they had to stuff it full of other characters and chose to pull in veteran seiyuu without the requirement to know instruments, so there's three groups who don't fully perform live...but that also gave rise to one of the later added bands in the series which is also my favorite one (RAISE A SUILEN). It's definitely what drew me into the series further a couple weeks after the game launched.

Both the main series youtube and MyGO's specific channel (anything with "official live video" in the title) have video clips of performances.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ep 10 The solution to band drama is to violently seize your other band members and drag them on to the stage!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

sssh. No drama.

Only dreams now.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
How does the writing keep getting better each episode?

Skipping the opening theme, going right to Taki's admittance that things are over, leading into Tomori's inner thoughts
Uika seems to recognize Tomori from the old CRYCHIC picture so she knows she's connected to her friend Sakiko. Wonder if that spurred her some to give that advice?
I figured that the catalyst for the band reforming would take Tomori finding her resolve, which would attract Rana back :3:

Also Soyo. No apologies, no magical fixing of everything she did, but she's still accepted. Maybe they'll talk things out next episode and lead back into figuring out what's up with Sakiko.

The MV for Utakotoba will be up in 12 hours from now!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I laughed at the expression swoops

Everyone else: :cry:
Rana: :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rana is truly just vibing

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

This show is better than it has any right to be. Every episode is super dramatic but somehow it doesn’t feel sappy even when the whole band is jammin out while ugly crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Looking forward to Tomori's spoken word solo album