Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agronox posted:

Is giving someone cucumbers in a chocolate bag some kind of big diss? Feels like I missed something

mutsumi was giving her a very heartfelt gift (something she grew herself) but also the way she was talking to soyo made it sound like she pitied her so soyo blew up at her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

We don't really know much about Sakiko given the perspective of the show, but from what we see of her it doesn't seem like she blew off Crychic casually or even necessarily by her own choice. Right at the cold open of the series she shows up to rehearsal after being missing for a day, soaking wet to break up the band. That is not normal behavior. Later when we learn her history with Tomori we learn she wanted to start the band because she met Tomori, who she knew full well wasn't some famous person. She also herself scouted out Taki and Soyo so if them "not being famous enough" was the problem it wasn't when she started Crychic. I also point out that in episode 7 it looked like she was having a genuine emotional breakdown after MyGO played her old song, whatever happened that wound is still way more raw than she lets it show.
nyamu also asks sakiko in this ep if it was 'difficult' for her to come meet her at the fancy cafe they're at.

there's also a detail that i dont think is directly pointed out, or if it is it's only in passing.

mutsumi and soyo go to a very fancy, seemingly catholic, rich girls' school (soyo's even surprised when her mother wants to send her there).

here's mutsumi in the uniform.

sakiko goes to the same school as anon and tomori, but what uniform is she wearing in the flashbacks?

so my working theory is that sakiko's family used to be rich but lost all their money somehow. given the 'changing circumstances' angle for a lot of the characters (anon moving to the uk and back, soyo's family situation, rana's grandma retiring) itd track.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 1, 2023

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Endorph posted:

so my working theory is that sakiko's family used to be rich but lost all their money somehow. given the 'changing circumstances' angle for a lot of the characters (anon moving to the uk and back, soyo's family situation, rana's grandma retiring) itd track.

That's my guess too. I'm curious if the next season showcases black mirrors of MyGO: [Soyo: poor to rich, Sakiko rich to poor; Anon: friendly popularity chaser, Nyamu: backstabbing popularity chaser; Tomori: overcomes communication problems to lift up her band, Mitsumi: succumbs to communication problems and gets taken advantage of by her band; etc.]

But I don't know this franchise, that's probably too dark. Would you whale on gacha for heels?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given Granblue, Honkai and others yes....people will whale for heels if they like them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agronox posted:

But I don't know this franchise, that's probably too dark. Would you whale on gacha for heels?
theyre just one band out of a bunch, and bang dream's been around a while. rather than needing to be like, The Most Popular Group, they (and mygo) are probably meant to appeal to a different demographic, or people who are burnt out on the other characters all broadly fitting into the same tone.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's a band based on Visual Kei too so having them appear to be heels at the start is not a bad hook (especially since given the bits we've seen probably most aren't...except Nyamu who already is my favorite )

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Music video for Melody was uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STgVa-reZkM

Also, more general franchise news than MyGO specific, but the seiyuu for Maruyama Aya (Pastel*Palettes' vocalist) is returning after a hiatus

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/suw4xsweetie/status/1697765129486573689

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/nashinashi_0074/status/1699359719419428996

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A fun Eupho/MyGO interview

https://natalie.mu/comic/pp/mygo02

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
https://twitter.com/shu_atelier/status/1699799695420219629
https://twitter.com/ttisrn_0710/status/1699808067867824181

Happy birthday to best fang

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
oh neat, ~8 of their songs are on apple music (and I assume spotify but don't have it to check)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They added a bunch of MyGo songs to the game today too

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Updated relationship chart for episode 12
https://twitter.com/unicococ/status/1700409976743960714
(Translation)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lamo Soyo's No Mercy to Anon best couple

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I've translated this interview, you can find it here! It's a great discussion with a lot of fun bits, and I'd be delighted if you checked it out.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Terry van Feleday posted:

I've translated this interview, you can find it here! It's a great discussion with a lot of fun bits, and I'd be delighted if you checked it out.

I'm delighted to have read it, thank you.

We have to assume 13 is a Sakiko PoV episode, right? Given the end of that interview and the fact that it's really the only question set up (from the first minute of the show!) that hasn't been answered.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Is there going to be an episode 13? I thought this season was over since there wasn’t a new one last week.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yes, there's one last episode tomorrow.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

quote:

Personally, I like girls who destroy others’ lives through no ill will of their own.

lmao

Great interview, thanks for translating + sharing it

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Episode 13 first half really was just a victory lap for MyGO, with the actual meat of the episode landing in the second half with tying up Sakiko's motivations and the start of Ave Mujica. The franchise going as dark as a drunkard father is something new.

And from that, something to look forward to in the future... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4fgMLZxRK4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

man. my loving go.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Great stuff. Over a span of thirteen episodes we got at least two excellent ones, and possibly one masterpiece of anime.

It gets under my skin a little that the Tomori - Sakiko loop STILL hasn't been closed, but fine, I guess it's a hook into the next season.

I suppose if the theme of MyGO!!!!! was "hey maybe you should talk to people", Ave Mujica's might be something like, "hey maybe you should rely on people."

Anyway, kudos to the team that made this. I was totally unfamiliar with this franchise but now I'm definitely watching the next season and might pick up the game too...

Agronox fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 14, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terry van Feleday posted:

on the note of this interview, the writer's credit was updated from 'mygo supervisor' to 'mygo/avemujica supervisor,' so we can assume she'll be writing the avemujica anime too.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the decision to end mygo with 15 minutes of sakiko's corporate, soulless, metaphor of a band instead of anon + tomori's final conversation or whatever is so gutsy and i love it. sakiko was such a compelling character to me despite her minimal screen time and it's cool that this has just been festering the entire time in the background.

i'm kind of happy i ended up watching episode 12 + 13 back to back, because they work pretty well as companion pieces. the contrast between tomori's band introductions (which might end up as the most endearing moment in the entire show to me) and the ave mujica introduction is incredible.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i think what i like the most about the ending is how ave mujica appropriates most of the language and themes of mygo (being lost, the fear of being inhuman or other, finding solace in building on individual moments), just twisted through the lens of a creepy theatre performance.

i thought i was going to finish these two episodes and be mostly content with the ending, but i really want to see where this next season goes from here.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

They really couldn't give Taki any sort of last heart to heart with Tomori like Anon and Soyo got? Or... let her do anything at all?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

BlitznBurst posted:

They really couldn't give Taki any sort of last heart to heart with Tomori like Anon and Soyo got? Or... let her do anything at all?

They let her get clowned on by Soyo stealing Tomori away for a nice monologue.

(Yeah, I thought they did her a little dirty there too...)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I appreciate Ave Mujica's full blown Visual Kei act even if the song felt like a mid tier Roselia song

Can't wait for their season especially since their performance gave big Revue Starlight anime vibes. And I don't think it's a coincidence

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

on the note of this interview, the writer's credit was updated from 'mygo supervisor' to 'mygo/avemujica supervisor,' so we can assume she'll be writing the avemujica anime too.

Excellent news!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also it's amazing that it looks like Sakiko is mirror image Soyo - Soyo was put into an awkward situation and had to work through it cause her mothers hard work led to a better situation. Sakiko has been put into a pretty awful situation and has to work through it cause it looks like her bad dad messed everything up

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I imagine Taki's plot will be season 2 stuff given we know she has issues with her sister but we don't even see her.

That said Taki x Tomori shippers ought to know what they signed up for.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Also it's amazing that it looks like Sakiko is mirror image Soyo - Soyo was put into an awkward situation and had to work through it cause her mothers hard work led to a better situation. Sakiko has been put into a pretty awful situation and has to work through it cause it looks like her bad dad messed everything up

Also in terms of her trying to control her band. Though Sakiko is pretty much just telling them what to do. I expect lots of cat herding ahead.

Edit: thinking about it, it's maybe significant that Taki's sister goes to the posh school and Taki does not.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 15, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitznBurst posted:

taki and the rest of mygo are probably going to be in ave mujica a fair bit given ave mujica were in mygo a fair bit, and they're being treated as linked anime

also honestly they probably had to get the ave mujica stuff in there and as far as conversations to have go anon and soyo are definitely the right calls over taki

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Soyo getting the final scene with Tomori also makes sense narratively as it's to reinforce that the breakup of Crychic still isn't resolved and is still gonna be a major thread in Avemujica. Soyo pretty much says it at the end even!

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I took Soyo's scene and her line about never forgetting CRYCHIC as more of an acceptance that it's fine to not forget the good times that had happened then, but also move on. Which is what Tomori seemed to agree with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KariOhki posted:

I took Soyo's scene and her line about never forgetting CRYCHIC as more of an acceptance that it's fine to not forget the good times that had happened then, but also move on. Which is what Tomori seemed to agree with.
this is definitely the intent of that scene, but its also true that we're getting an entire anime from sakiko's perspective and that she will probably have, character development, and that character development would probably have to involve tomori/soyo/taki.

i doubt it'll end with anything as simple as everyone is friends now yaaay but tomori/soyo/taki have clearly found some peace with what happened but sakiko (and probably mutsumi) dont seem to have. so that plot thread will probably continue into ave mujica.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mutusmi especially seems like she's not in a happy place right now with everything going on

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/hanamukes/status/1702777546058735646

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

spent the night catching up with the anime. poo poo's loving incredible, i teared up at ep 10.

i'm so loving in for ave mujica's cheeseball ghost theatrical horseshit combined with their 70s hooks in the songwriting with the organs and deep purple-esque riffs. it's so loving dorky in the most perfect way imaginable and they've given out great hooks for more drama. think their song was my favorite of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Fell off of Bandori for a number of years even if I try and keep up with the new songs, and I finally got around to watching this last week. Was not expecting a Bandori anime to go this (relatively) dark, goddamn.