Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
dishwasher
fridge
goku
water heater
View Results

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Eeyo posted:

yeah and on the flip-side of that all phone os's that require you to spin a wheel to select time should be shot into the sun

just let me punch it in microwave style it's way better

are there any phone oses in the market that force this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

you gotta lower the power to make nachos otherwise you just end up with a crust on your tostinos

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

there are some microwaves with actual variable power but yeah, usually it's just a ~10s variable duty cycle or whatever.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

panasonic's inverter microwaves actually run the magnetron at a lower power and it can be much better for reheating or thawing food

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
would y’all care for some opinions about microwaved food to go with those spicy dryer takes?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

I have never in my life changed the power setting on a microwave.

that setting has always been locked in every apartment ive lived in

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

that setting has always been locked in every apartment ive lived in

i dont think that's correct, it's not a setting in the sense that it persists longer than a single run. you just hit 'power level' and then a number for 10% increments. on our microwave you have to keep hitting the 'power level' button and it goes down by 10% each time. it is very bad. but i don't think there's a way to turn this feature off, and even if there were there would be no reason to do so

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

you gotta lower the power to make nachos otherwise you just end up with a crust on your tostinos

if I wanted my food to be not all coagulated and hosed up I would use something other than a microwave.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Kernel Sanders posted:

would y’all care for some opinions about microwaved food to go with those spicy dryer takes?

post hole digger posted:

if I wanted my food to be not all coagulated and hosed up I would use something other than a microwave.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If a microwave is good enough for dave chang it's good enough for me

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

my microwave has a knob to set the time instead of a number pad and it’s very annoying, though it is a minor thrill when you spin the knob to the exact time you want in one go (this rarely happens)

but it does have a 1-minute button and i mostly use that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

microwaves are rad and i think people who hate on them mostly don't know how to use them effectively

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

mediaphage posted:

microwaves are rad

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have a zojirushi rice cooker and water heater

i have the zojirushi one that has hello kitty on it
i also have a rice polisher that needs a stepdown transformer to run

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im no hater, i use my microwave all the time, but im accepting a certain convenience-for-quality trade-off when heating something up in that thing.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
i used to have a microwave cupcake recipe from Modernist Cuisine that was just boxed cake mix batter in a whipping siphon and microwaved in a cup for ten seconds.

it truly was the gooniest parlor trick but it made the lightest cake I’ve ever had

and to make this a YOSPOSt I tried to find the clip from Myhrvold’s kitchen krew on YouTube only to have my keywords discarded and pages of crappy results show up.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I fell for the whole Bosch/Siemens home-connect smart appliance scam and now I have an oven that likes to crash and reboot in the middle of cooking things.

I miss the old one where you turned a knob and it got hot, and you turned another knob to decide how hot.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

is that... a picture of pizza on a builtin screen?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

well-read undead posted:

is that... a picture of pizza on a builtin screen?

its like a backup camera but for your oven

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

instead of the hassle of going to the kitchen and turning on the oven light, just join your ovens livestream on twitch #easy #lifehacks #boschforliving

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

I fell for the whole Bosch/Siemens home-connect smart appliance scam and now I have an oven that likes to crash and reboot in the middle of cooking things.

I miss the old one where you turned a knob and it got hot, and you turned another knob to decide how hot.

lol you idiot

you absolutely know better than this!!

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

its like a backup camera but for your oven

i was trying to decide which would be more pointless: an in-oven camera that displays your food on a tiny screen right above the window where the food is, or a screen that displays a generic version of roughly the kind of food you are making??

then i had to just stop thinking about it before i got too mad

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

my oven has spirals on top of it that get hot through the miracle of passing an electric current through a material with high resistivity. same thing for the inside of the oven itself, but the thingies aren't spiral shaped. there are 5 knobs to make things less hot or more hot. last time i thoroughly cleaned it i found a yellowed folded piece of paper taped to the inside of where the knobs are mounted which turned out to be the list of parts and parts numbers, and the full circuit diagram for the whole thing which i imagine is there in case you ever need to repair it with supplies you scavenged from the bombed-out ruins of a radio shack after surviving thermonuclear war with the soviets, which most likely was still a concern at the time it was built

anyways what i'm trying to say is i don't have problems with my oven rebooting and i'm never replacing it unless i'm absolutely forced to

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

To be fair all the other tech bullshit appliances have been pretty reliable.
The coffee machine has only crashed twice in 5000 cups!

They initially got their foot in the door with the wifi dishwasher with mood lighting:

I'm very sorry about all this, I know I am part of the problem.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
this all sucks. what the hell?

~~emotion light~~

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

loving gamer dishwasher, jesus christ

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rotor posted:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I come from the lepers colony to say: lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rotor posted:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

tor_blackblood
Feb 14, 2012

Where death seems to dwell...

sharknado slashfic posted:

rotor posted:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

thank you rotor i don't think i could've taken much more of this

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

mediaphage posted:

are there any phone oses in the market that force this

the literal apple ios

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

rotor posted:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goblin week posted:

the literal apple ios

incorrect

if you tap on it the numbers come up and it’s been this way forever

now there is absolutely a case to be made that apple hides too much poo poo

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rotor why have you shed blood on this thread

fortunately i have a mini carpet steamer to clean it up

which apparently doesnt work on cat pee which was the entire reason we got it in the first place :mad:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

rotor why have you shed blood on this thread

fortunately i have a mini carpet steamer to clean it up

which apparently doesnt work on cat pee which was the entire reason we got it in the first place :mad:

scrub it first with some oxy spray it should work p well

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

it did not! it was just a cheap ikea rug so i tossed it. we just don't keep any soft things in that room anymore since it was the only place with problems.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

To be fair all the other tech bullshit appliances have been pretty reliable.
The coffee machine has only crashed twice in 5000 cups!

They initially got their foot in the door with the wifi dishwasher with mood lighting:

I'm very sorry about all this, I know I am part of the problem.

Jesus Christ

edit: thank u rotor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted: