Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
dishwasher
fridge
goku
water heater
View Results

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
can’t say it enough but samsung appliances are utter garbage

up there alongside is electrolux too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

miele makes dumb appliances too

like they make the best vacuums but i wouldn’t want one of their built in superautomatic espresso makers (which just seem like dumb poo poo ideas generally tbqh)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cool av posted:

my drier burns clean, efficient, natural gas

heating ur clothes and the planet one load at a time

did u know

6% of residential energy use in the us is clothes drying

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kernel Sanders posted:

towels and sheet get too soft when tumbled

???????

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh no my towel doesnt scrape my skin off after the shower, it sucks

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

things sociopaths say:

Kernel Sanders posted:

precisely. tumbled towels are for infants and people with skin diseases

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kernel Sanders posted:

but enough about your towel preferences

yea whats your favourite grit level of towel for after a bath

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah i hang all my stuff to dry in the basement and put a fan on them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kernel Sanders posted:

microwaves should only have one button, which gives you 30s of full power

literally one of the reasons we bought our current piece of poo poo and i wish more had it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

yeah and on the flip-side of that all phone os's that require you to spin a wheel to select time should be shot into the sun

just let me punch it in microwave style it's way better

are there any phone oses in the market that force this

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

microwaves are rad and i think people who hate on them mostly don't know how to use them effectively

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

I fell for the whole Bosch/Siemens home-connect smart appliance scam and now I have an oven that likes to crash and reboot in the middle of cooking things.

I miss the old one where you turned a knob and it got hot, and you turned another knob to decide how hot.

lol you idiot

you absolutely know better than this!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goblin week posted:

the literal apple ios

incorrect

if you tap on it the numbers come up and it’s been this way forever

now there is absolutely a case to be made that apple hides too much poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

rotor why have you shed blood on this thread

fortunately i have a mini carpet steamer to clean it up

which apparently doesnt work on cat pee which was the entire reason we got it in the first place :mad:

scrub it first with some oxy spray it should work p well

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

doesn't work for timers!!!

fair point, i bet they did it because people get confused with digit timers (this is not an excuse and the option should still be there)

have you filed a comment on it? i actually find stuff i complain about in ios changed or fixed periodically (i assume im not the only one who complains)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

definitely don’t buy piece of poo poo electrolux anything

here’s the combo otr microwave and oven (yes it’s dirty i’m cleaning the kitchen atm)

the lights on the bottom don’t work anymore and also the capacitive buttons only respond when the screen isn’t updating so you have to press them between seconds flashing on the countdown if you want to add time lol

you may also notice i’ve had some trouble with the handle that opens the door

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

post hole digger posted:

more like electrosux boom headshot

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

one of many cases of a brand that was supposed to be really good 50 years ago which got sold and bought about ten times since then but still gets enough recognition that slapping it on whatever garbage gets it to sell

like rca or general electric

yeah i bought it for the feature set rather than the name but that also ended up being a lovely decision and we ended up buying a standalone steam oven later on anyway

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the issue at the time was that this was pretty much the only residential combo microwave toaster oven

anyway bad purchase i knew i shouldn’t combine functionality lol.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

you have to tell it what you're cooking, it's got a handful of stock photos for each food group.
it came with a temperature probe that i've never used that i think is required when you tell it to cook meat, but i just use the pizza program or manual hot air for everything else

all the buttons are touch sensitive and refuse to register a press half the time. it is kinda baffling how much worse it is than a dumb oven with mechanical knobs.

probes are the best and probably that ovens best feature

shove it in a roast then blast the temp and remove immediately when it hits your target temp

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well-read undead posted:

ok thank you so much for answering my question, now you better stop posting those pictures before rotor gets mad again

you don’t understand.

rotor is already mad. he’s always mad

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ya convection takes care of all the worst parts of consumer ovens imo, usually the uneven baking and temperatures. plus it also helps dry out the surface of some meats which is a plus

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

for sure, which is why fan bake is a thing..

but fan grill, or in american "fan broil", never made sense to me to do a big meat roast.. until I tried it and it was such an excellent result

this is not an elaborate hoax I pronise

ah, so you're cooking it entirely top down, thanks for the clarification

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i was gonna say something like "it'll make the whole thing dry!" but once the surface moisture evaporates there should be a crust that prevents more water from leaving, and besides what makes a roast juicy is largely the fat that melts and seeps through it and that's not going anywhere

but i don't have one of those fancy ovens with a fan in it so i won't be able to try that with that roast beef recipe i haven't made in forever where it's slathered in a blend of dijon mustard and herbs, even though it probably would be a good candidate

this all made me hungry though

the thing that really determines how much moisture is left inside a piece is just the temperature it gets to, a fan is unlikely to do much more than keep the surface dry imo

you can still do a recipe like that in a non-convection oven, it'll work fine

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

induction is rad and gas sucks sorry

i have a ceramic top electric now and i’d rather have coil electrics even than gas again. you can smell it as soon as they’re turned on and lol if you think combustion byproducts in your house are great

it’s hilarious to see people online try to come back with “you must not like to cook then” because fuckin’ lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The_Franz posted:

induction really is fantastic. non-induction electric still sucks though, sorry

it's fine. you just have to do more interactive work with the food

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The_Franz posted:

that reminds me of my biggest kitchen design pet-peeve: vent hoods that don't vent outside

"but it has a filter…"

yeah, and it's still just blowing the hot, humid air back into the room, minus some coarse particulates. i get that renters don't have a choice, and it's not necessarily easy to install a proper vent hood in an old home not designed for it, but there's no excuse for installing those crappy ones that just blow the air back into the room in a new or renovated home

theyre so fuckin hateful. we had to get a house without one and it's the top thing on my redesign list

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

when i bought my house i replaced the old vent since it had fallen off the outlet on the roof and was probably just pumping all the smoke into the attic for years now all my noxious garlic fumes are free to please my neighbors

you mean delicious garlic aromas

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

blenders are made to mix and liquify and food processors are made to chop

it’s mostly this. they’re separate devices. generally if you don’t need fine purées or soups or making smoothies or something, you can get by with a food processor just fine. food processors can also handle much thicker products more easily than a blender can.

imo i like the breville food processor because the bowl is sealed so if it’s full of wet stuff it keeps the surrounding area cleaner but the price has gone way up since i bought one.

for blenders i like the vitamixes but the blendtecs have their following too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what keeps a food processor from blending as well as a dedicated blender?

id say the speed of blades and the fact that good blenders are designed with jars that direct the flow of food back down into the blades so you get the content passing through and around the blades with greater frequency

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

can a food processor crush ice without chewing up the blades?

yes, ice is softer than metal

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

food processors also generally have a small maximum liquid capacity because of the way they're constructed so you can't puree a whole soup in them

this is a big plus to that breville i mentioned. fill the fucker up it’s fine

(but i do liquids in the vitamix anyway)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Internet Old One posted:

Nothing. I have a Ninja that’s a blender, food processor, and mixer. You have the change out the bowls and blades and push buttons.

incorrect you just have a motor that you can swap between the bowls on, the bowl and the blades make all the difference in the world

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

look i’ll just myself as a blender snob but the ninja does not compare to a vitamix or blendtec period. i think they may have a more robust single unit now but that nonsense with the multi blades for example is a gimmick

now you may not give a poo poo about the extra processing that a vitamix or blendtec can do and that’s also fine

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

kitchenaid does not make quality big appliances - dishwasher, fridge, etc. their mixers were bad for a bit - they went to using nylon gears that broke in their mixers (there is an astonishing amount of grease inside one of those) but now they’re good again.

i kinda want to get one of the cute baby 3qt models to leave on the counter

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well-read undead posted:

ooh, i didn't realize kitchenaid mixers weren't bad anymore. we have an old one and it's a warhorse, glad to hear if it ever goes out (unlikely) there's a way to reasonably replace it now

in fairness i haven’t bought a new one for a while since i could fix mine but this is my understanding of it. generally i think like their 7qt pro models are a safe bet, the 5qt and smaller may be iffier but if you aren’t doing stiff doughs you’ll never have to worry about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TerminalRaptor posted:

I specifically meant the mixers and left that part out in my post.

I didn't know they had a bad phase. Any idea when that was?

i got my mixer in the 00s so sometime probably between 2000 and now, i don't know a lot about but there was definitely some complaints about the plastic gears.

though again for many many people thats actually fine, the issue is just knowing what kind of stuff you're likely to make (still not an excuse mind you i'm always mad about appliance enshittification)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

we don't have a lot of counter space for both things, i was kinda wondering if there was an acceptable all-in-one, the ninja sounds like that. i would want it to be decent quality though. a dedicated tool is always better, but i'm also drawn to the dremel ethos of "look, anytime you need a high speed low torque motor, use this, we got alllll types of spinamathings for it"

well it’s kinda like what are you going to make with it? i think a lot of people like the idea of a blender for example but don’t use it very much. a food processor is pretty versatile though again often doesn’t get used a lot. if you want something that mostly chops small things or makes small batches of hummus, kitchenaid makes a small wireless food processor that is shockingly capable (not a huge amount of battery life though enough to get through hummus ime). you could fit that sucker in a drawer and still get a blender for example

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

update: my piece of poo poo samsung refrigerator has finally broken. Apparently a box that keeps things cold isnt something they know how to make very well.

can’t say i’m surprised. sorry you have to spend money on a new icebox. congrats that you get to get rid of that piece of poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

when we bought a new lg washer to replace the lovely shamesung that came with the house we mocked the internet connectivity

but its actually based bc i can do a load of clothes and it tells me when its done. otherwise it goes into the black hole of my working memory never to be seen again