Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well this is an interesting set-up.

I guess Gani, Pandora and Waiter are three of our other perspectives? I guess that would make Pandora the Gun in the stack, being a cop. Waiter would be the Mask. Gani being the secretary is harder to pin down but I guess that would make him what looks like the Computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mix. posted:

If you're using the chip dialogue icons as your basis I'll go ahead and say that all of the non main characters in this LP will have those, there's a lot more minor spriteless characters this time (since, well, it's not a death game setup) so thats my workaround :v:

That doesn't rule out that any of the other perspectives aren't involved with the gala, though :smugdog:

Are we sure it's not a death game setup? :smugdog:

But that's good to know, I'd probably have been eyeing any chip icons with suspicion otherwise. I mean, I still will be. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mix. posted:

Odds are low that we would ever get a unanimous vote but if we do then it'll loop back around to betting half our chips. ...but I don't think it'll happen personally :v:

Are you saying you'd... bet on it?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nine's the magic number, Kane? Playing Monkey See, Monkey Do? And the Monkey is the ninth animal in the zodiac race?

Subtle.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Not a huge fan of Vels' perspective so far. It's been mostly NPCs expositioning to each other while he stands in the background thinking to himself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It feels kinda weird to have a bet right before a cut-off point. Might be better when actually playing it (I guess it's to entice you to keep playing as that perspective, as Vels did very little so far).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
We started off so well with Laverna and Lock too but the last two perspectives haven't been that fun so far.

But I guess this is pretty much just 'Kane's life, from different points of view' so the idea is interesting, just gotta see how the execution pays off.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wait, is Olif meant to be an anagram of 'Foil'? I mean he would be a terrible representation of that role, to be fair.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This route seems better than the last couple ones at least. Don't know if Mercury is a more interesting perspective, but the set-up is.

I think one weakness of this and the last one though in a LP-specific setting is the heavy amount of narration. Without NPCs talking to each other, it's just a lot of text. Hopefully it'll ease up once we start moving past the initial stacks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh, no minigames in that stack sequence. And no Kane.

Anyway uhhhh I dunno. Gonna say no we'll still be on the boat, because I can't tell what mindgame this is but without any other info like how many cards are left in the stack I assume we'll have to get off the boat at some point to meet up with Kane. And it could be that we get off at the very end of Mercury 3.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well that was... something. And we've come full circle.

No bets this time either, all narration.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AweStriker posted:

Mercury is on the boat. He’s the one I’m most interested in at the moment, as it happens!

Really the only two I have mixed up are Lock and Vels. One’s a gambler, one’s a fighter… who was who, again?

We don't even know what gender Mercury and Olif are, since during their entire perspective they don't interact with anyone who would have referred to them with a gendered pronoun.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

mycelia posted:

Lock's the gambler because he's the sleazy, silver-tonged Loki (or at least named for him). Vels, uh, I got nothing. Same with Olif, unless there's a god of internet trolls.

Laverna, oddly enough, is a goddess of cheats and the underworld. Kind of fitting for a consulting detective, I guess. And Mercury is Mercury, and we don't know "Thane"'s real name.A thane is a Scottish noble title (see: Macbeth, thane of Glamis and Cawdor), which makes sense if he's serving his "king" Marduk.

I'm jealous I didn't think of "modern setting where everyone has somewhat-appropriate mythological names" first :sigh: It appeals directly to my special interests...hence the effortpost

edit: oh and Devon just makes me think of Devon ham. Sorry, Devon.

Not sure if it's up your (or Mix's) alley, but Stray Gods: The Roleplaying Musical is an upcoming game (it has a demo) that features murder mysteries! People with similar names to gods! Choices! Musicals!

Dropping the trailer because it might interest people.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Laverna is a lot more fun than some of our last few perspectives. I think what really helps is having more NPCs to bounce off of, plus unlike Vels, she's an actually active participant.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Laverna is still the best perspective so far, but at least Lock keeps things interesting, this is pretty similar to Dog's route from the first game. Helps that he's also chatty enough to prevent internal monologues from being too dull.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This really is the Dog route, huh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well, back to a trio of boring perspectives. :v:

(It'll probably get better for those guys... maybe.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's definitely more of a 'Krish' route than anything, but I guess Vels being the spectator to it still works.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Getting some nice crossover, at least. At least now we know how much to trust Seth when we get back to Laverna.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
...Look I'm sure Olif's route has some actual interesting bits in there but I think the developers could have done something more interesting with the formatting there. Without any portraits or even real scene changes, it's just a lot of text that I just glazed over.

Maybe it plays out more interestingly when you're actually playing the game and reading it in real time, but I was already wanting a TLDR by the second conversation with the Devil.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
'Thane' is a lot better when they get to bounce off people. We get to see a lot of worldbuilding without them being wallpaper like Vels gets close to sometimes. They're probably just behind Laverna for me right now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Best to worst:
Laverna
Thane
Lock
Devon
Mercury
Vels
Olif

Laverna still hits all the right beats as a protagonist. Has her own personality and a good supporting NPC crew.

Thane shot way up in my rankings. They were very dull at first but now they have some actual NPCs to bounce off of.

Lock's alright, his last chapter wasn't as fun as the first one. But still decent.

Devon's okay? He's not super interesting, but he's got enough going on.

Mercury's the least memorable for me so far. They're only ahead of the other two because they're not actively boring (Vels) or unlikable (Olif).

Vels is too much of a spectator.

Olif's walloftext style just doesn't do anything for me. And they're (so far) an unlikable troll.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well thanks to some of the other cards we know who might have tipped the Duats off. The question is if there even was a murder in the first place, or someone plotting to expose the gambling den.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do like Arrianne, she has a bit of a dry wit that works as a nice contrast to Laverna. Plus she admits that ACAB.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing to note is that the rules seem to vastly favour the Ruler; there's nothing in the rules that say you can't place chips on a card that already has chips on it. Which means that it can be very easy to disrupt existing or potential alignments even if the Dreamer sets one up. The only upside is that you can't split chips between cards and the Dreamer goes last, which means if you get lucky once the 12th card is revealed, you can set up a win for the round with minimal loss.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
No bet or minigames this time round, guess that was a pretty short card.

Hmm, there's not a lot of information to go off on, but I wonder if Vels is actually a previous Thane; they're clearly good at fighting, they seem decently familiar with the workings of the Duats, but they don't know the specifics like that Yi was actually rotten. This might be that they used to be a Duat, but it's been a while. If they were the original Thane, that might explain a bit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can't remember, is this the first time we've seen a mechanic from a stack show up in another? The 'fighting' minigame I think is normally Vels' territory, right?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like the bottom trio is still some mix of Vels, Olif and Mercury. Olif got more interesting now that she's actually interacting with people instead of it just being walls and walls of text, but she had such a rough start. Vels kind of the same, most of it he's just standing by the side and he got to talk to other people finally recently. Mercury isn't bad but... they're the least interesting set-up so far, kind of in the same boat as Vels. We're learning more about Lara and that's it really.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Considering how heavily the last game was inspired by the 999 series I wouldn't be surprised if the 'us' was like some kinda Blink Winkle like character like in VLR.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean I thought it was clearly established at the end of the last game that Monkey's story had kind of come to an end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That's some real Persona 3 talk there with all the masks and uh, persona chat.

I do like the dynamic between all three officers. Lara and Yi keep each other on edge.

Anyway, I'm going with... no.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
We're only just starting the second half? Dang, the game is longer than I thought. If each stack has 10 cards then that's 70 scenarios, and presumably at least an 'endgame' stack. 77 seems like a nice figure to end it on. :v:

Anyway err guess things haven't changed too much for me. Laverna > Thane > Lock > Devon > Vels > Eris > Mercury. Vels and Eris are good when they're actually interacting with more people, but it's inconsistent and Eris is a drag when she's just muttering at her screen. Mercury is honestly the most forgettable story so far and we're only getting their backstory now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Laverna rubbing her eyes and suddenly feeling tired doesn't seem to be for nothing. Feels like something's going on. Is she running herself ragged, just tired, or something involving foul play?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Doesn’t seem like they have enough evidence to actually arrest Lock for anything without also implicating Aija in the process.

And seems like Thane got involved in knocking off Lock at the drop off instead, just that something happened to make it Gant.

I’m guessing that Lock keeps a low enough profile that sending Devon after him isn’t easy (and they already tried so once). Lock ‘willingly’ being at a known place and time with a physical description would have been lining everything up for them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Forget everything else, Devon trying to injure Vels’ eyes by pressing down on them was perhaps the most squeamish part for me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I always start on the fries before the burger. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well I'll give them this, they captured the essence of 'long-winded old man' pretty well in Odin.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I thought Mercury was a girl? At least, that's from my fuzzy memory. Though I don't remember how many people have had confirmed genders. Like Laverna and Eris obviously are girls, and Lock and Devon are guys. Not sure if anyone else has been locked in.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll be contrary and say yes. Let Devon accomplish something, he's not done that in a while.

Anywa, I don't think anything's changed too much, though we're starting to see more of the cast interacting with each other and really starting to explore the side characters like Arrianne more. Mercury has actually gotten more interesting now that they're off the ship, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh? What? is appropriate.