Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Elite posted:

Polly Deisma was in the previous 2 sections too (in a more minor role), and we’ve only just started this one so there’s still scope for more characters to turn up. I’d be surprised if Polly turned up here and I think you’re right about Kane being the connection between these viewpoint characters but there might be some other connecting characters that turn up (can easily imagine Vels running into some of the cops or maybe Ossa later on).

And Kane is more of a nuanced character than I expected. In the first section he seems like a total slimy loser, in the second it kind of shows that he has some principles even if they’re ones that other people disagree with. Also funny how basically everyone dislikes him.

He gets better once he loses his hair and starts raising scorpions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The dude in a suit with a big old coat, gloves in a diner, and a big old scar on his face; the man who says he totally doesn't do any real wet work. Yeah, he seems totally trustworthy. Kriah seems like an excellent judge of character, and Yi totally will look out for him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

We got a great glimpse of what Vels wanted. They want to keep a low profile, be left alone and stay the hell out of this.

Unfortunately, they also have an idiot for a friend so...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

A dog. Oh, thank God, this user shared their picture of a dog. I really appreciate getting to see this specific dog. It's not like there are a hundred goddamn dog pics posted to this hellsite every day Jesus Christ. It astounded me the poo poo people thought was worth posting about.

We're playing as a complete monster.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dead person trapped in a container that makes you sleepy with the doors closed. Wonder what sort of gas was still in there.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

In game yes, well be on the boat.

Out of game, what a stupid rigged bet. Woman, you're telling the story. You can break it up anywhere you want, and with knowledge of the bet, you can thus make the outcome of the bet whatever you want! No sane person would ever take this bet.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ZCKaiser posted:

It would be very funny if the mechanic of the game was that she will always rig the outcome against us, therefore we have to bet against whatever we want happening.

But for the sake of playing in good faith: Yes, it seems likely boat adventures will continue. It would be odd to set up the story as "trapped with a killer on a boat in out at sea" only to immediately escape that situation the next chapter.

The thing is, if we assume this tale is based on a true story(tm) in the universe, she's at least constrained by the truth of what happened. Here? The bet entirely hinges on the pace she tells the story, barring our viewpoint dying on the boat without getting tossed overboard. And she is part of that bet.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

The twist is that both Thanes were fake Thanes. The actual Thane died years ago and has since then been replaced by a long string of increasingly less competent idiots who manage to bumble their way into killing the previous Thane. The Duat noticed like five seconds in, but don't care, as it makes things harder to track by the police.

We lost another one? Darn.

Oh well, the next one will get him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

oh dear, this viewpoint doesnt know. posted:

On the other hand, rich people tended to be pretty intelligent.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Man, Laverna and her audience are really highlighting why those last couple of characters fell a little flat for me. Instead of one character expositing giant paragraphs at me we've got mysteries inc hamming it up together.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

How has lock not gotten a bullet to the head, old western style? If he pulls this kind of nonsense on the regular, you'd think someone would have just blasted him and taken their money back.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, his plan is to swindle pandora as a whole and he just put a big mayoral candidate into comical debt, however much suspension of disbelief was broken by him being an obnoxious munchkin rules lawyer. I imagine the next stage involves forcing him to do stuff to work off the debt.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Marluxia posted:

It was a swindle UNTIL Bach explicitly agreed to the rules, as they were stated. There was no rules stating that there was X number of cards, no rule... etc.

And Lock gave Bach an opportunity to ask questions to clarify the rules a bit more. That's not on Lock if Bach failed to do so.

Nah, the whole thing was pretty goddamn ludicrous. Right down to Locke going "did I say that? I didn't say that in front of this guy. Can you prove I said that?" He pretty blatantly and clearly reneged on the bet terms as given. And suddenly made the stakes comically higher by lying about the initial agreement to the neutral third party.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yi is a slimeball using textbook abuser talk. "Be glad I'm hitting you"

And really, who could have seen this coming? He seemed like such a nice guy!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Awww, Seth no! I liked you!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

This path definitely picked up once he had some other people around to play off.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I like how they're too busy being upset at each other to see the obvious point of concern. If none of the three people they think knew about the oncoming hit did it....

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Elite posted:

The most obvious read is that Aija organised it but didn’t want to justify or explain herself to Devon. Meaning she has two hitmen at her back and call, that don’t know about each other.

Yeah, but someone else being on to them and is playing their own game is a much more fun read.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It could also be Locke or no murder at all. Both him and Laverna were hitlist targets, and a goofy unsolvable murder(possibly because there was no murder) is an excellent way to put our plucky detective exactly where you want them. Locke didn't work for Bigass Corp Inc, but I don't exactly trust our caller, who is probably our killer.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Welp. I suppose accessory to murder isn't a huge stretch for a bought cop. :cop:

With all the police and Aija talk, I'm kind of surprised the chief being a political appointee hasn't gotten more spotlight.

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Oh good. I didn't think there was a murder here.

Ossa may be terrible for what he did to Bach, but he has fared well against Baldera, Laverna, and Arrianne.

The Devil's theory was that Aija, the Police (Arrianne), the Duats, and Olympo (possibly with Kane at the Oracle) are working together. I do not get the sense that Arrianne is involved from this scene. Some people must be uninvolved; it's hard to explain why else they keep inviting genius detective Laverna into their circle.

Not quite sure what the motive is for the prank call, other than to distract the police from something else.

Among other possibilities, it's already been stated that this duat den would never have been raided and dismantled without the murder call.

It could be our hitman creating bait that would lure Lav in so he could do the hit on her.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I feel like the game wants me to root for locke, and yet I can't help but feel disappointed he wormed his way out of it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

TheDavies posted:

He'd still lose.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Good thing Chara has swooped in to save the day. If that didn't happen, Vels' route would have ended with them leaving Panthea.

Poor Vels. So close to a happy ending.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I honestly felt a bit of a threat in there, but that might be my knowledge of his dirty status

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The Duat power struggle seems more advanced than in the imposter's card and this guy seems to be a terrible shot against anything that isn't moving. It feels out of character for our imposter, but it has to be him or yet another new thane.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It took a bit to get there, but "Thane" is one of the stronger routes so far because the main players have a good amount of banter and even the faceless goons have a good amount of character.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not sure if non card characters count, but at his point I wouldn't be surprised if some doofus chucked a spear in the air and yelled, "I dedicate this battle to Odin."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

So a glaring thing stood out to me there. Why did nobody try Milo's key? That seems a better judge than the label on if it's a different safe or not.

For that note, it's interesting that the police force managed to snag Thane's identity and that so little came of it. You would think the tabloid reporter out front would have been all over that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm going to go with No for the vote. Of the cocktail ro in killings we've seen all have been fully independent actions, including the gimmick, by Devon save one. And while she was on scene for that one, the body wasn't found by the police which seems counterintuitive if she was killing people and/or dramatically flagging the bodies with props.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

No secret. Never trust anyone that offers you a bet and says that there's no way you can lose.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Oh, I expected a mansion with security. Because she's the Mayor, and Mayors usually would have some onsite security. :(

Or a fence or even cameras around their super mansion.

Aija being as low-quality on security as Milo is something I didn't expect, and she's supposed to be a pro at this!

The only way it makes sense to me is if this is a more private dwelling than her formal mansion, and she doesn't keep cameras because she meets Devon there. Don't want to have a pile of evidence showing that you did know and meet that serial killer after all. That's just one warrant away from biiiig problems.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Honestly, at this point, I'll be disappointed if Odin isn't down there to smug at them.

There is a person

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Well, between lending Devon to the olympo feud and everything, this update the Devil's assertion that all the big players in the city were working together under somebody's direction seems accurate enough. This Djiin sounds like something other than a code word for the duats and the likely ringleader.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Vels probably nailed it when he figured they would just disappeared into the woods. The story still holds up if Polly is the only one around to be found.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Because it was a shithole diner with bad food and facilities. She's snobbing the place for being a dump.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I loved Mercury just casually dunking on Odin about his sons, completely oblivious to how rare someone one upping Odin like that was.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I always start on the fries before the burger. :colbert:

It's the only proper technique. The burger retains its tastiness for a fair amount of time, but French fries are so much better fresh from the fryer compared to even a few minutes later. The woman is as batty as her sister.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think Devon will absolutely get together a room full of people who want him dead. I don't think he'll be remotely successful at killing them, but we do need to hit the point where all these separate stories start pooling their information to find the truth at some point.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Probably Odin and Yi for me. They're the ones that really seem to have accepted their role in the story and are just having fun being the baddy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mix. posted:

No, if you haven't hit the reveal it's removed completely, as is the option to vote for him :eng101:

I'll guess Devon and none of the above

If only because if it is actually Devon, none of the above being an answer that flips to correct if you don't know about him yet would be really cool/clever of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Interesting. So Mercury's timeline just reached 'Thane's timeline. He killed thane in the woods right where that deck kicks off.

And his deck still has cards?