Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh hey, ground floor, can't wait to see where this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Okay, so we uh, have a guy named polytheism and his father is called Odin? Is that what i'm getting here? Cool beans bro.

I think Athen died first. The simple deduction is this - we know 2 things:
1. Athen could not have died before the lights went off.
2. The guy exited shortly before the blackout. He said he was going for a smoke break and i think that's actually entirely true. It takes a hot moment to smoke 3 cigs and he must have removed the device by then... therefore he must have died way after Athen, presumably by whover he was waiting for.
And yes, i am assuming that our dead guy here is, in fact, the murderer, it's just that there are more people involved.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

A-ha!

Clearly the original coffee was drugged, making Herc fall asleep while the laptop was stolen! The thief then flushed the remaining coffee down the toilet to get rid of the evidence!

The issue with that, of course, is that the guy said he wanted a REFILL, which necessarily implies reusing the cup, or else he would say he went to get a new cup.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

There is a number of ways to cheese the poo poo out of it, some more absurd than others.
For example, there is no rule that you can't just push all your stacks to the loser, once you win, to make them pay more.
Also no rule that you can't steal their stacks. (the only rule is that stacks cannot be altered or split)
That same rule, i think, also precludes checking the stack afterwards, since that would require altering it?
That's some weird-rear end gamble there, tho i like the basic premise.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 11, 2023

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

She has a statue of ... jade emperor on her desk? That's a little on the nose.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Also, i'm sorry but when did we veer into straight Kaiji territory? This is very reminiscent of the emperor and slave game, with the bonus finger-cutting of the lottery.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 5, 2023

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

To be entirely fair, we know Milo opened it, and presumably he used either the key or the passcode and the passcode is easier.
How would they set the safe's password to the one Milo used? That's largely the issue with that line of thinking.
(and if they could set it to that, then you are assuming they know the passcode and then the whole safe switcheroo thing line of thinking becomes irrelevant)

That said, it's Seth who said that no one found any shards - if we assume he's lying, that's actually the sticking point.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 15, 2023

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Laverna rubbing her eyes and suddenly feeling tired doesn't seem to be for nothing. Feels like something's going on. Is she running herself ragged, just tired, or something involving foul play?

Well there WAS a sleepytime maritime container....

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

a test what? Are we back to the cards as plot device in that very same way previous game handled it?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

So um, why was the milk, which Kane had an opportunity to drug, kinda tangy?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Wait the theme's name is Furiten? Aka a situation in Mahjong, where if you previously discarded a tile, which you could now use to win your hand, you lose the ability to call on tiles from other players to complete your hand? huh

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Does Eris make the line about 'the third brother, Devon' if you haven't played enough of Devon's stack for that reveal?

Anyway uhhh gonna split my bet and go Art and None of the above.

Wait, did i miss the reveal that EZ is Eris?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah p sure he did

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ZCKaiser posted:

They never refer to each other in their narration, only in dialogue to other characters, and the phone call between them was clearly just Laverna playing a recording, and reciting a script back. What clinches it to me is that as soon as Baldera interjected into that conversation, she hung up--because otherwise the ruse would be exposed. (And indeed, Eris's next line between them doesn't sound like she's responding to Baldera before she's cut off.)

So i've tracked down that update and i have to agree.
What actually convinces me is this:

quote:

was going to respond... but then I felt my phone buzz. Ah, finally. I pulled out the phone and turned on the speaker.
And then all that happens is her bickering with Eris... and telling her she can't really talk because she is at the crime scene. Now, if she is on the crime scene and it's inconvenient to talk, why would the reaction be "Finally"? and why, would you TURN ON THE SPEAKER??? So yeah i think you got that one right.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Mix. posted:

The next update is tonight. Be ready.

instructions unclear, became a bread.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

So at this point the question is - who's god?

If we go by meta conventions it has to be someone who we
A: have seen a sufficient amount of
B: not obvious

This eliminates Aija Marduk Odin and the entirety of Deismas from consideration.
Considering that all player characters do not exist, i'd say we only got the following candidates:
- Kane
Obvious one, because he's remarkably omnipresent in every story, even if Mercury's was as a backstory to mandjet infiltration.
- Lara
If she's god, then that explains Odin's odd move... which frankly might have been her reward for winning which she was smart enough to do.
- Krish
lol.
-Ez
that would...make sense
-Us
also...makes sense

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

This entire bit goes a bit funnier when you remember that Laverna is Thane and thus was the one to pitch the entire plan to do this to Yi in the first place.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ZCKaiser posted:

I wonder if, as effectively the only remaining senior officer, if "Thane" will come back and take over?

Yi isn't dead, so he could easily gently caress up THAT plan by just making Thane unmask under any pretense like "Oh the leader of the Duats cannot hide their face from them".

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

This is also one of the important clues if you want to piece together the actual timeline of events too.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

In restrospect it's really funny how i posted something to the effect of "That milk must have been spiked, c'mon" but then trhe further Eris chapters made no mention of it so i discarded it, when actually it absolutely came into play.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Another round of star alignment then?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ZCKaiser posted:

I'm kind of surprised it allows for two sentences, I figured it'd end up being something like, "Because Kane killed Devon where I planted a camera, if Kane does not learn..." etc.

Still, Kane's finally made a mistake that could get back to him. It doesn't much matter if no one believes he's the "God" of Panthera if he's in prison for murder.

Lmao if you think he's even gonna get anywhere past a holding cell at best, let alone get a trial.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ZCKaiser posted:

His entire schtick relies on anonymity to work, so if he's exposed in any way to the power players they aren't going to help him. Unless you mean he won't make it because someone will have killed him, in which case, fair.

I mean, that would require you to prove to them that god of panthea killed devon, not that Kane Shay killed Devon, and uh...
If you don't, he likely has any amount of blackmail he can deploy at-will, though most likely it will hinder him tremendously.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Sybot posted:

I think Devon dropped/threw it in his final moments. Hey, he was actually useful for something.

I'm going to go against my instincts and say Bach will be fine. This whole story he's basically been a guy who listened to the last person to talk to him, so him breaking out of that or somehow turning that instinct towards good would be a nice surprise for the epilogue.

Gangiri always hits the target, no matter what or how long that takes. High-quality gift from Odin.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

What did Kane have?

Well let's see:
He has several identities - at minimum it's Kane, Devil and Djinn, most likely he had more.
He has the tech skills - he was clearly able to plant a tracker and create a falsely encrypted file that didn't immediately seem like bullshit. He could also use drones.
He clearly has a talent for convincing and manipulating people - otherwise he wouldn't have the 3 pillars under his control.
Killing, well, we know he killed Maximillian and that was for sure not his only victim. If we count indirect kills like Jacy, he probably killed quite a few people.
He was also obviously not a complete idiot in a fight and was capable of using a gun effectively.

So yeah, Mercury is probably better on the physical fighting front and we have no idea how good Kane is at gambling (he's certainly good at sneaky poo poo like drugging someone's drink though), but otherwise they are relatively evenly matched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

- There is a wrong screenshot in the Themis section
- There is no screenshot of the Themis options
- There are 3 big questions you can ask EZ but the "Corrupted data" option is completely unmentioned.