Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Yi is not to be trusted. That entire conversation was a bit too convenient, and Krish is extremely naïve if they think Yi is merely a good guy in a bad spot.

Also, since I just caught up and missed the earlier chapters: it's too late to vote but I'm pretty sure the guy killed outside was killed first. The police arrested a culprit after one of the murders, only to discover that he couldn't have committed any of the other murders, and claimed not to know about staging related to the poem. Given there's no apparent connection otherwise between the victims, the easiest conclusion to draw is that who they were didn't matter; the person messing with the bodies just wants to establish a pattern. The nature of the murder in the mansion means that it's virtually impossible to have messed with the scene after the fact, and the only reason I can think of to go through that much trouble to set up a pattern like that is to draw people to the wrong conclusion. Meaning the guy outside was almost certainly killed first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Judging by the hashtag, the Bach we saw briefly at the end of Lock's chapter is Aija's political rival.

Keeping the gods theme I guess that would make him Bacchus?

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
It would be very funny if the mechanic of the game was that she will always rig the outcome against us, therefore we have to bet against whatever we want happening.

But for the sake of playing in good faith: Yes, it seems likely boat adventures will continue. It would be odd to set up the story as "trapped with a killer on a boat in out at sea" only to immediately escape that situation the next chapter.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Seems like we have our first big question on a timeline here: is the Thane on the boat the real Thane or the imposter? Presumably the real one, but who knows what the fake ends up going through.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
It would be funny if we found out it was fake Thane, and those two people were actually members of the Duats that they were trying to get info out of before offing them. People can do some desperate things if they think they need to in order to survive. It would also explain why this dangerous assassin couldn't catch and kill a random stowaway of seemingly no appreciable skill.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Elite posted:

Bit inconsistent here. Art says his office has super expensive decorations, then it turns out he has a minimalist office because decorations would distract him.

Could be a mistake, or it could be that he's the type that spouts BS out of a sense of self-importance. Or maybe when he says "my office has expensive decorations" he means "my father's office".

Early call is that it's Odin trying to teach him a lesson of some kind.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
To expand on five, it was basically "the crime cannot have been committed for inscrutable cultural reasons." It was meant to avoid cases of lazy writing where a character's nationality was used in place of giving a proper motive, and usually used with cultures the reader would consider "exotic."

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

It's amazing how disgusted I felt after reading that. I didn't think it was possible for Lock and Ossa to go lower than Olif.

There is no way that Nohoi's Nest should be able to operate like this and retain a player base.

Lock himself points out that no actually canny gambler would ever accept this challenge, since he's so clearly trying to pull something with the "I'll pay double if I lose" nonsense.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

AweStriker posted:

Also Lara and Thane both being Duat officers raises a number of questions with Mercury’s story…

The dark comedy option is that the real Thane died on the boat and the current one actually killed Mercury who'd taken their place (assuming all this happens after).

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Hmmm...the way Devon spoke of his dad attending his ceremony, they aren't/weren't close, so it would be a more interesting choice if he were around than not. So I'll vote Still Around

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
The witness also, I believe, claimed to see blade from where he was sitting in the bar, then found the body, then saw someone with the blade...which would make it impossible for the murder to have actually be done with the blade he saw, as he claims.

I don't think this is a setup for Laverna--the cops wouldn't be here if it was. I think someone wanted this den gone and made up a murder to get it cleared out. Maybe Locke covering his tracks?

Also Seth definitely murdered Isa (or at least set him up to be killed), probably on Duat orders.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
An interesting game. The real game is about managing your chips; so long as the Ruler has chips, they can effectively negate any existing pattern on their turn. So for the Dreamer to win they have to do one of two things: make six patterns over the course of the game (ensuring the Ruler has to use all five chips to prevent them), or arrange the cards such that the Ruler has to use more than one chip on a card to ensure there's no pattern. The latter is a lot more difficult but I suspect the only real way for the Dreamer to win. And because the winner gets to pick their role, it's easy for Odin to trap an opponent in a role they don't know how to win as (and I suspect he can win as either role unless the opponent has a good grasp on how to play).

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Regallion posted:

That said, it's Seth who said that no one found any shards - if we assume he's lying, that's actually the sticking point.

Yeah, the real issue is that we know Seth covers for the Duats, so the crime scene could have been tampered with in a number of ways, either actively by Seth or just via him turning a blind eye to someone else.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
The answer to "how do you call this bet if he has no secret" is "he dies". Once a player is off the stage there's a limit to how important any secret can be. But regardless, Bach has a secret. Here's a thought: what if he's our Thane perspective?

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
So, here's a thought: if someone is manipulating all sides Panthea to their own ends, the most obvious answer of who could be doing that so far is Odin. Our main refutation of that idea is the same person spreading the "someone is secretly controlling Panthea" theory, The Devil, who claims it has to be someone comparatively unknown. However, here's my thought: The Devil is also Odin, manipulating events from shadows. After all, The Devil has given Eris info, who has in turn passed it along to Mercury, who is now in a position to maybe play kingmaker for the Duats.

It's unlikely, but it's a fun theory.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Yes. Thane's whole gimmick is passing as Thane and that's probably going to stay 'til the end. Nobody has any reason to doubt him right now, and I suspect asking the same question again is a trap, because you expect the answer to be different now.

I wonder if Lock set this up or if he just lucked out again?

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Well played, Lock. Aija's kind of dumb, falling for that setup--that Lock was setting her up to kill someone else was my first thought even before I remembered we've already seen how this plays out! Also we have our first bit of real proof that there is, in fact, some unknown benefactor pulling stings behind the scenes.

I'm kind of suspicious of Baldera; maybe she'll be some catalyst to uncovering the corruption in the police, but I can't help but think she's a little too squeaky clean for this story.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Marluxia posted:

Yes, yes, ACAB, but part of that statement is that not all cop are monsters, some people, if you removed them being officers, would probably be otherwise okay people. But a good chunk of the cop ARE monsters, and the rest enable and protect them and the rotten system they enforce.

We now know for a fact that Seth and Arrianne are dirty. It would be kind of lazy if literally all three cops with a face were all dirty.

Probably should've phrased it better, but I didn't mean specifically because she's a cop that she should be dirty or something. Rather, every other character in the story has a much more interesting relationship with the power structures at play, generally either trying to reinforce them or fight them. I'm suspicious of her as a character that otherwise hasn't really been important to the plot thus far, so I figure either one of two things will happen: either there will turn out to be more to her than meets the eye, or her sudden helpfulness will get her killed to up the stakes.

Part of it is also that, if we believe The Devil, the person pulling the strings is someone comparatively humble in the grand scheme of things, and there are only so many characters who have been introduced who both fit that bill and also have been seemingly passive enough that they're a candidate.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
The small bit between Thane and Lara confirms that Thane's perspective occurs after Mercury's--I wonder if that suggests that Thane gets killed while chasing them, by someone who falsely believes he's after them instead? Or perhaps that's Mercury under the mask, if we're going with the "multiple perspectives" theory, though that seems unlikely.

Mercury is fun, not only because they impressed Odin, but also just refuses to be intimidated by him. Calling him out on his legacy actually being his sons was great--because Odin obviously considers his legacy his power and skills, and seemed briefly surprised and/or angry at being corrected.

ZCKaiser fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 3, 2024

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Ah, didn't quite catch up in time to vote, but I think "someone else entirely" is a good pick; signs point to Mercury passing whatever test Odin has in store, and therefore Odin probably supporting him in some way. Either that or Odin himself is going to get fed up and step in and retake control.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I don't think Eris is The Devil. The Devil is almost certainly one the Duat players we've seen. It could be Mercury, now that we know Mercury = Thane; they're invested in searching for the truth. A bigger twist would be Marduk himself, if he's got some kind of plan.

With that in mind, I don't think Eris = Mercury. Most of this is based on Lara's reaction: she seemed surprised that whoever she recognized Eris as would help her, and I don't think that would be her reaction to Mercury.

Also, I went back to check some stuff, and I'm pretty convinced now: Laverna and Eris are the same person, putting on an act as if they're twins. They never refer to each other in their narration, only in dialogue to other characters, and the phone call between them was clearly just Laverna playing a recording, and reciting a script back. What clinches it to me is that as soon as Baldera interjected into that conversation, she hung up--because otherwise the ruse would be exposed. (And indeed, Eris's next line between them doesn't sound like she's responding to Baldera before she's cut off.)

Edit: While I think it's unlikely that Eris = Mercury, because that would make Mercury, Thane, Laverna and Eris all the same person, I can't rule it out just yet either.

Regarding who's who, I think we can rule out a few things at least. Devon can't be Vels because they've been in the same scene; similarly, Locke can't be Thane/Mercury for the same reason. I think we can also rule out Devon being the same person as anyone who's interacted with Odin (who would not fail to recognize his son), so Devon can't be Mercury or Locke either.

ZCKaiser fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 13, 2024

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Darda is my favorite faceless NPC; gotta love someone whose response to finding out the company they're high up in is to laugh and go "I feel so alive!"

Kane was, I think, too in the public eye to ever be the God of Panthea. He's too exposed and inserts himself into too many situations. It would be pretty fun if it was, in fact, Mouse, though that would suggest Mouse was thoroughly corrupted by the power she acquired.

If we go by detective fiction rules though, and assume it's someone who has been introduced to use already, my money would be on Baldera. The kind of dopey seeming, too-helpful cop being the actual mastermind is something of a staple, after all. There isn't really any concrete proof to that theory; the only thing that I can really point to is that there was one time when Laverna showed up to a crime scene when Baldera hadn't been the one to contact her, and she seemed a bit upset by that--almost like she didn't want Laverna to show up unless she was the one who called. It would also make sense if she was, in fact, full aware that Seth was a dirty cop.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Take it easy and get some rest, Mix!

As for the last chapter, yeah, Lara was being an idiot; she mentioned that Yi didn't have the guts to kill her, and yeah, that's because Marduk would've punished him for it. Don't taunt him into it now that the guy holding him back is gone! Maybe she was counting on riling the crowd up enough to jump on him first. Still, bad plan. Interesting that the point of the ship was to secretly kill off captains who were throwing in with Lara though. Guess the original Thane really was all in with Yi.

Pretty funny that after all that worrying about it, none of them thought for a second that it was Thane that capped Marduk. I wonder if, as effectively the only remaining senior officer, if "Thane" will come back and take over?

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Regallion posted:

Yi isn't dead, so he could easily gently caress up THAT plan by just making Thane unmask under any pretense like "Oh the leader of the Duats cannot hide their face from them".

Our lovely guide suggested that Yi is basically done for and likely won't be seen again, I'm guessing because he both murdered his fellow officer in front of the entire gang and because he then failed to stop Marduk's killer from getting away (even if he is a little confused about which person that was). By the time her recovers, the shock of what he did is going to wear off. Oh yeah, and he stabbed his own guy, so if that guy survives you have a first hand account that Yi is perfectly willing to literally backstab fellow Duats if it's in his interest.

Which isn't to say Thane wouldn't have problems if he came back, just that I don't think it'll be Yi who's in any position to question him. Someone is eventually going to figure out that A) Marduk was shot B) Krish didn't have a gun on them and C) Thane was the last person before to see Marduk before that, and definitely has a gun.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I'm going to go with neither lives; Mercury is up against their worst kind of enemy, one who is aware of their identities and has more information than them. And I think they are more than dedicated enough to sacrifice themself if it means taking down the Djinn. After all, Kane is apparently the glue that's keeping Panthea the way it is (for better or worse), and things are unravelling on all sides. AIji is losing it (and now unconscious), Olympo is in chaos (and while, legally speaking, the dissolution probably wouldn't hold up, the damage is done), and Duats may well be leaderless (Lara's dead, Thane's gone, Yi is at best in a very tenuous position and at worst is going to face retribution for killing Lara in front of everyone). The only person seemingly unscathed so far is the police chief, though her rep might have taken a hit since even after Seth was unmasked the money still got stolen. Still, if her complicity in murder is comes out, she's ruined too.

So yeah, were I to guess, Mercury makes the sacrifice to take Kane out of the picture.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I'm kind of surprised it allows for two sentences, I figured it'd end up being something like, "Because Kane killed Devon where I planted a camera, if Kane does not learn..." etc.

Still, Kane's finally made a mistake that could get back to him. It doesn't much matter if no one believes he's the "God" of Panthera if he's in prison for murder.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Regallion posted:

Lmao if you think he's even gonna get anywhere past a holding cell at best, let alone get a trial.

His entire schtick relies on anonymity to work, so if he's exposed in any way to the power players they aren't going to help him. Unless you mean he won't make it because someone will have killed him, in which case, fair.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Something will thwart him. There are too many ways it can go wrong. Aija's has blackmail on him still. He's caught on Mercury's camera here, which is a problem if anyone else gets a hold of it. Or if he leaves any other evidence for the police to find. The police chief might act anyway. Or maybe someone else gets suddenly popular enough to run. There's also whatever interloper threw that kunai for Mercury to grab, clearly they've been keeping an eye on things and could well have their own plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I think Mercury's ending is rather appropriate for them; as Baldera suggested, they aren't going to learn and grow from this, or put it behind them (they even noted at the time how hollow getting revenge felt). What really motivates them, I suspect, is the risk. So they're going to go to another city and gamble with their life again, and again and again until they lose. Given the mythology theme, Zahak/Kane represented absolute order and authority, and Mercury represents absolute chaos--they cannot build, only disrupt and destroy.

Also I feel like we should have won the bet given Bach apparently immediately got ejected from his position.

Overall I liked the story, if not as much as the first game. The big twist was really good, but I was honestly disappointed Kane was the mastermind; I was hoping for something a little less straightforward. (I really wanted it to be Baldera, who seemed too naïve and good, but I like what they did with her in the end.) Also sad the game apparently isn't going to answer where the knife came from in the final confrontation (unless I missed something during Devon's death about him planting it, which would be a little convenient but thematically appropriate). Given what Mercury's favorite con is, it begs the question: did Mercury uncover the full conspiracy? Or only the part they were meant to?