Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Octatonic posted:

Okay, sure, fine, but Laverna is very clearly :chord:. The real reason she's a private eye is that she's impossible to loving get along with, right?

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, a lot of that dialogue was difficult to read.

She’s giving me major flashbacks to that hat guy from the Pokémon Reborn LP a while back.

That said, I’ve been looking forward to this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I see we’re playing the game’s rogues gallery :P A pompous detective, a smarmy gambler…

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Cloacamazing! posted:

I don't think that Yi has Krish's best interests in mind. He doesn't have anything against them and if their interests happened to align, he'd be on Krish's side for sure, but if Yi said only one truthful thing during this entire exchange, it's that he looks out for himself first and foremost. If his interests require him to betray Krish, he will betray them.

This exactly.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Definitely getting exposed. Already had a murdersuit near miss, can’t imagine they’ll be much sharper going forward.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Junpei posted:

Who are you the most interested in of all 7 perspectives-Laverna, Lock, Vels, Olif, Mercury, "Thane", and Devon?

I think a problem here with the huge number of PCs is that they kind of blend together in my head. It’s hard to write that many protags at once, you know? Like, Olif stands out for being godawful, but at this moment I couldn’t tell you who Mercury was without rereading (the street fighter or the guy getting hunted on a boat?) their entire bit. Some of them have really distinctive voices for good or ill (Laverna being aggressively flairful, Olif sucking hard, “Thane’s” perpetual oh god oh gently caress, Devon’s analytical mind) but the rest feel very similar.

And for most of them, I’d say their setup is really what makes them interesting. Nothing wrong with that, though. I think the Laverna vs Devon thing is interesting as hell, and Fake Thane is a really cool setup.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

mycelia posted:

edit: oh and Devon just makes me think of Devon ham. Sorry, Devon.

Makes me think of cream tea, mmm.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Laverna posted:

Truly an impressive caper. If I didn't know better, I'd say a theft of this beauty was the work of the Auto Larcenist.

Laverna’s fought Doug Judy?

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Huh, it’s pretty interesting to see inside the head of someone running a grift. He’s an rear end, but an interesting one.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Junpei posted:

We haven't seen much of either of them, but would you vote for Aija or Bach?

I’d vote for Laverna :allears:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
…Wow, that was artless as hell. This guy :rolleyes:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

There's nothing exciting about this scam, and I don't see what Lock is getting out of targeting Bach.

After losing the game and suffering through Lock's gloating, a competent Bach can still argue his way out. Ossa will have no choice but to acquiesce since there won't be any rules broken with these approaches.

See, now I’m gonna be disappointed if this doesn’t happen, because drat that’s good counter-sophistry.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I like that Seth was like “Come on, assholes, I bought you so much time and you still do this?”

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Was “playing to your outs” explained in this or in Zodiac Trial? I swear I’ve heard it before but don’t remember what it means.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Junpei posted:

It means if something is fixed-either a guaranteed win or loss-you don't devote any thought or consideration to it because it's an expenditure of energy. Focus on the things you can change, rather than things you can't.

Mix. posted:

It's a concept that comes up a lot in competitive games like poker, chess, even stuff like magic the gathering, where you don't let yourself get hung up on the games you were going to lose no matter what and, sometimes, instead actively develop the willingness to lose for the games that aren't guaranteed losses... because sometimes being willing to lose is what actually gets you the win. Sometimes the reckless play will pay off whereas being reserved/careful would ensure you lose there, and it's better to go for it and possibly put yourself into a win then do nothing and ensure the loss, since if you go for it and lose anyway, well, guess you weren't winning that one either way, yknow?

Elite posted:

It was in zodiac trial yeah.

Edit: In update 39 “Playing your outs”.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
This guy rules :allears:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Does the Thane mask have a voice changer in it? Because that whole scene I was wondering how close “Thane’s” voice is to the real one.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Mix. posted:

It does, Mercury mentions how artificial the voice sounds when that Thane first speaks, and this "Thane" mentions they have to grab the helmet to modify their voice before answering Yi when Yi calls them in Thane 1.

Ah, I forgot. Thanks!

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Actually, the real Thane was Rooster, and we’re all screwed :P

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Maybe she was gonna send him to Monkey, and this is actually a Zodiac Trial prequel :P

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Schadenfreude city right here :allears:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I don’t think he’d win this time, either. Lock’s been impressively good at fleecing bottom feeders largely through cheating and just outright nonsense. If he can’t control the engagement, I don’t think he’ll win— if he got to go back, he’d probably be better served to pull out for the night and not get Odin’d at all.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Good thing Chara has swooped in to save the day. If that didn't happen, Vels' route would have ended with them leaving Panthea.

I hear Hightower’s nice this time of year :D

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Thane’s scenario rules. It really leans into the same feeling as Mouse’s route from Zodiac Trial, the “I have to get away with murder, treachery, and manipulation” element that’s so awful and compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I think Baldera is the Jade Emperor.