Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

MK11 let you completely alter Sonya being voice acted by Ronda Rousey and completely change her into Bridgette Wilson circa 1995. So going back in time would erase this and that's lame.

Replaying 11 reminded me how honestly just bad Rousey was in the role, especially replacing Tricia Helfer in X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Cannot get over the fact Sonya shows up in Aftermath without a single line of dialogue. Fifty fifty it was NRS realized Rhonda couldn't act her way out of a wet sack or she just cost too much

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Bonus answer she went full blown Krazy between takes about transgender people or Sandy loving Hook or some such

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HebrewMagic posted:

Cannot get over the fact Sonya shows up in Aftermath without a single line of dialogue. Fifty fifty it was NRS realized Rhonda couldn't act her way out of a wet sack or she just cost too much

The only time I felt Ronda really acted with any real energy - kinda uncomfortably so - was when Sonya calls somebody (another female Kombatant, I forget which one) something like "do-nothing bitch!" It was a clearly something she'd delivered before, perhaps in her daily life, perhaps often. Maybe the direction was 'pretend she's Holly Holm' and it worked a bit too well.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

HebrewMagic posted:

HebrewMagic posted:

Bonus answer she went full blown Krazy between takes about transgender people or Sandy loving Hook or some such

It could be all three at once, plus there was a very vocal clapback when it was announced that made it clear she wasn't a draw that sold any more copies- I don't think I saw a single person whose response to her involvement wasn't "so?" or "that's a terrible idea". Regardless of the reason I hope it turns NRS off of stunt casting like that in the future

I suppose if they were still in that head space they probably would have made JCVD the default voice and likeness of Johnny

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

codo27 posted:

I will never forgive the variations system. Its bad enough all the new characters were lame, but you cant even properly use the klassic ones because their movesets were split up into 3 modes. Stupid.
Yeah at least on a purely psychological level, picking a Kameo character is much better than deciding which special moves you're leaving behind. Variations felt like adding complexity for complexity's sake, solving a problem that didn't exist, not unlike the "fighting styles" of 5 thru 7. Man did anybody like Fighting Styles?? Felt like something that should have been a single character's gimmick, at most.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

going from peak Sonya in MK3 to the humorless cop that inhabited X/11 was the worst possible route. Even if it's not the MK3 version I'm glad this game gives us the Pat Benetar outfit

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

going from peak Sonya in MK3 to the humorless cop that inhabited X/11 was the worst possible route. Even if it's not the MK3 version I'm glad this game gives us the Pat Benetar outfit

She was always portrayed as a bit dour and a hard-rear end. If anything I would say her X/11 portrayal humanised her a bit more.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Minidust posted:

Yeah at least on a purely psychological level, picking a Kameo character is much better than deciding which special moves you're leaving behind. Variations felt like adding complexity for complexity's sake, solving a problem that didn't exist, not unlike the "fighting styles" of 5 thru 7. Man did anybody like Fighting Styles?? Felt like something that should have been a single character's gimmick, at most.

I have a certain fondness for that era of Kombat but I don’t know that it’s earned at all. I think I just like dumb MK bullshit.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Minidust posted:

The difference is that variations are tuned for kompetition and balance (even if certain kombatants had ones that were just better than the other two) and fighting styles were slapped together as a gimmick

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Minidust posted:

Fighting Styles were necessary growing pains for Netherrealm to learn to not give every character the exact same basic moveset. We all arrive at these things in our own time

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I am not psychologically weak, so I did not having a problem khoosing a variation of a karacter for my playstyle

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Minidust posted:

Man did anybody like Fighting Styles?? Felt like something that should have been a single character's gimmick, at most.

Whenever those 3d era fans start talking about how underappreciated the DA/Deception characters are the gameplay/moves are almost never mentioned so I don't think anyone liked it

I think the fighting styles were a huge part of the reason a lot of the 3d era characters failed to launch. Special moves were de-emphasized and the normal strings everyone got were extremely boring, badly animated, haphazardly assigned, and lacked personal character

Mavado does wing chun, but why wasn't it like, dirty wing chun? He's supposed to be a red dragon dirtbag. Instead he just does whatever bland moves Carlos studied out of Wing Chun for Dummies that morning with zero flair

For all the criticism VF gets for having boring characters, their movesets have some personality to them. Their judo guy has a dirty looking judo style that meshes with his look and it would look weird if they gave it to anyone else. If the midway devs spent even a little more time thinking about it people might at least remember Mavado as the evil trenchcoat ip man guy instead of that dork with the ropes

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I did like how they started recycling some moves in fun ways, like how Scorpion's sliding forward somersault kick with fire tracing his ankles started out as a special move in MKDA, then got integrated into a combo in MK9.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think the only real reason I remember Movado is because he's got the same name as that fancy watch company.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Teenage me thought Mavado in his black trenchcoat and Kabal's hookswords was the coolest poo poo but in hindsight lol you suck Mavado you have two moves and one is a command sidestep. WOW.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

HebrewMagic posted:

In addition, IIRC, every intro Sonya has with a DLC character after the first Kombat Pack is recycled dialogue on her end. They really punted her straight off the project.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

She was always portrayed as a bit dour and a hard-rear end. If anything I would say her X/11 portrayal humanised her a bit more.

I thought it was an interesting inversion of a typical character beat that Sonya turned out to be the married-to-the-job person who'd allowed that to strain all her personal relationships, while Johnny had softened and matured with time. There's a lot of good characterization in MKX and MK11.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

I thought it was an interesting inversion of a typical character beat that Sonya turned out to be the married-to-the-job person who'd allowed that to strain all her personal relationships, while Johnny had softened and matured with time. There's a lot of good characterization in MKX and MK11.

I did like Johnny had the good grace to be embarrassed by his younger self.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If and when Reptile comes back, they need to give him his ridiculous crab style from DA

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Wanderer posted:

In addition, IIRC, every intro Sonya has with a DLC character after the first Kombat Pack is recycled dialogue on her end. They really punted her straight off the project.

I wouldn't be shocked if Rhonda Rousey was forced onto NRS by WB Games ("hey, we got Rousey and WWE signed to a deal to plug the game, so she's now in it!"), and once they got that out of the way NRS was like "gently caress it, she sucks and we're not using her anymore."

Did Bridgette Wilson record any extra lines for the other DLC characters, or did she just have the same lines as Rousey's Sonya?

Dawgstar posted:

I did like Johnny had the good grace to be embarrassed by his younger self.

Watching older Johnny die inside while dealing with his younger self was probably the best part of MK11's story mode

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DeadButDelicious posted:

Teenage me thought Mavado in his black trenchcoat and Kabal's hookswords was the coolest poo poo but in hindsight lol you suck Mavado you have two moves and one is a command sidestep. WOW.

Mavado’s weird lunging bungee-cord kick special was absurdly good.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If and when Reptile comes back, they need to give him his ridiculous crab style from DA

Omg I forgot about that, Deadly Alliance was such a bizarre game

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

So I've been playing deadly alliance and Deception and I can't help but notice that the game has such slow forward and back dashes. Is there any way to wavedash or make yourself go faster in some way in those games or is my sneaking suspicion that they're not very good games correct

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

You're gonna want to sit down for that answer

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Smoking Crow posted:

So I've been playing deadly alliance and Deception and I can't help but notice that the game has such slow forward and back dashes. Is there any way to wavedash or make yourself go faster in some way in those games or is my sneaking suspicion that they're not very good games correct

Deception was awesome when it came out, I’m sure it hasn’t aged well.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Smoking Crow posted:

eff you.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

Iirc the big thing with DA (and maybe Deception?) is that a lot of good poking normals and strings can be cancelled into backdash to make them safe

I think there's also sidestep wave dashing in certain stances, I distinctly remember Shang Tsung being able to move laterally really quickly

You're also very correct in your suspicion, those games were embarassing efforts even when they were new compared to the 3D Game golden age that brought Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 5, VF4, and DOAwhatever. They're pretty much only saved by having decent side content, even weirdos who are hardcore evangelists for the 3D era never seem to talk about the gameplay

If it weren't for the MK brand those games would be sitting in the dustbin of history with Tao Feng and Kakuto Chojin

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

pretty soft girl posted:

Iirc the big thing with DA (and maybe Deception?) is that a lot of good poking normals and strings can be cancelled into backdash to make them safe

I think there's also sidestep wave dashing in certain stances, I distinctly remember Shang Tsung being able to move laterally really quickly

You're also very correct in your suspicion, those games were embarassing efforts even when they were new compared to the 3D Game golden age that brought Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 5, VF4, and DOAwhatever. They're pretty much only saved by having decent side content, even weirdos who are hardcore evangelists for the 3D era never seem to talk about the gameplay

If it weren't for the MK brand those games would be sitting in the dustbin of history with Tao Feng and Kakuto Chojin

I think in my case, it's more "if I had to pick between the three 3D Kombats, I'd go Deception".

But yeah, I think there was some absolutely hosed tech in that time frame from what I hear. I haven't looked for a fuckload of health Kombos for them though... but I imagine having two styles and a weapon stance to swap quickly between wasn't a good idea.

Very valid to assume that the MK Brand kept it afloat long enough to get DC on the horn... and then longer still to actually make a solid game. I'd say the main benefits are like "side content was goated (maybe staple Motor Kombat to Hsu Hao's corpse as he goes through a wood chipper ad infinitum), lore had SOME effort between 4 and DA".

But yeah, Soul Calibur also existed and that let you make whoever the gently caress you wanted and it looked fun with whoever the gently caress you wanted.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

pretty soft girl posted:

i found this video by the GOATs ketchup and mustard that explains deadly alliance and yes, you can dash cancel and wavedash in DA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIPRTY6Qv2g

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The style changes in Deception were cool, you could quickly change between them but you couldn’t attack immediately so you were vulnerable. You also couldn’t change mid-combo unless you were doing the specific style-change combos. Everybody had two empty-hand styles and one weapon style and their specials. They were way overboard on the dial-a-combo system, some of Shujinko’s combos specifically were like 12 moves long and impossible to remember. At least the roster was small enough that it kinda worked. Armageddon sucks so bad, they didn’t have enough fighting styles for all the characters so they each got one empty-handed and one weapon style but even then there were repeats.

Anyway I enjoyed wrecking people in Deception with Mileena because she was insanely good, I wish I coulda played online.

Edit: I’m also a sicko who loved Konquest mode.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
My main memories of the 3D era were the Deception and Armageddon intro cinematics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpEJrkjBXWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmg66B-SSQ

Little kid me thought Onaga tanking everyone's attacks was the coolest thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One of the insanely cool things about Deadly Alliance is that, because it doesn't have blockstun in the traditional sense, drat near everything is minus on block, except for the moves that bug out the blocking animations which makes them plus on whiff

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Didn't everyone?? It was kind of stupid as hell, and really fun. Shujinko going around bring the biggest moron, getting into fights with time-displaced people for no reason, and me just about breaking the controller in half with frustration because I can't get the timing on a combo with two style switches right.

I've tried the Konquest mode in MK Armageddon, but it's so awkward playing with a Wiimote.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSFSotb8NMs

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

davidspackage posted:

Didn't everyone?? It was kind of stupid as hell, and really fun. Shujinko going around bring the biggest moron, getting into fights with time-displaced people for no reason, and me just about breaking the controller in half with frustration because I can't get the timing on a combo with two style switches right.

I've tried the Konquest mode in MK Armageddon, but it's so awkward playing with a Wiimote.

remember when shujinko spent like 20 years in prison lmao

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

davidspackage posted:

Konquest in Armageddon was a lovely beat-em-up with a bad story. Not as much fun as being dumbass Shujinko.

Buschmaki posted:

remember when shujinko spent like 20 years in prison lmao

Yeah the story was really funny and goofy. Also it had tons of side quests to get Koins and unlock stuff. It was cool.

Remember how Deadly Alliance had a Krypt with way, way too many unlockables and sometimes you’d unlock one and it would just be a jump scare? God, Deadly Alliance was terrible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The jumpscares are funny.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

exquisite tea posted:

The jumpscares are funny.

But it was basically a waste of coins! That krypt was so awful.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The style changes in Deception were cool, you could quickly change between them but you couldn’t attack immediately so you were vulnerable. You also couldn’t change mid-combo unless you were doing the specific style-change combos. Everybody had two empty-hand styles and one weapon style and their specials. They were way overboard on the dial-a-combo system, some of Shujinko’s combos specifically were like 12 moves long and impossible to remember. At least the roster was small enough that it kinda worked. Armageddon sucks so bad, they didn’t have enough fighting styles for all the characters so they each got one empty-handed and one weapon style but even then there were repeats.

Anyway I enjoyed wrecking people in Deception with Mileena because she was insanely good, I wish I coulda played online.

IIRC Mileena was pretty much bottom-tier, but then again some characters had ludicrously easy infinites (most infamously I think Bo' Rai Cho's f3, throw), sidestepping was worthless because you could track every opponent by holding up and developing actual skill was barely necessary because characters like Dairou, Noob/Smoke and Kobra could cycle between spamming the same three moves and usually still come out on top. Someone else said we look back at DA/Deception now more critically, but that's not true. Most serious players knew how lovely Deception was from the get-go. It just took some time for the wider community (kommunity?) to let it sink in.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

My favorite thing about Deception: it was one of the few pre-360/PS3 era console fighting games with online play, but had a character with like a 10 frame full screen unblockable full combo launcher that has to be jumped over in a game with lovely jumps and it hits you before the delay based netcode even realizes it happened

Of all the MKs is Deception competitively the worst? I know MKvDC is really bad too but I'm not familiar with why. People have mined at least some depth and a functional meta out of the rest of the series, even Armageddon if you agree not to use air infinites. Everything about Deception just seems awful and braindead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Deception had puzzle and chess kombat though, which should be brought back just like motor kombat from Armageddeon