Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Hey, how do I get Talismans in the Invasion mode? I played a bit of it several months ago, and I jumped into it again the other night and found a portal that said if I jump through it, I'd leave the tutorial and there were items I hadn't gotten yet. But I ran around for a good five minutes and couldn't find anything that didn't say Complete on it, so eventually I gave up and went through the portal. Did I miss something super important?

e: also am I being handicapped if I play Scorpion? I saw he's low tier but I really wanna play my favorite old-school MK character. Is he missing a lot of options and stuff? I still haven't quite got my head around the gameflow of MK, so I don't want to build bad habits or whatever.

You can get them after fights or in chests. It seems like they've been toning down the amount you get cause first season I got enough to fill my inventory about 3 times and last season I only had to sell of a couple of them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I beat every map with scorpion only in invasion s1, half of s2, and s3. I just max attack and use his back sweep that covers the entire screen or spear into uppercut or spear into his low kick combo. you don't need to worry about tier in invasions.

They've changed talismans that you get in the world to be very rare but they're all legendary quality which generally means very good. Like I got an ice fart (incredibly op if you just block and push the computer into it), a thing that shoots 30 ice balls, and a thing that rains down 25 ice comets. You can buy talismans from the vendors on each map too that are weaker versions of the legendary if you want to craft.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jerkface posted:

I beat every map with scorpion only in invasion s1, half of s2, and s3. I just max attack and use his back sweep that covers the entire screen or spear into uppercut or spear into his low kick combo. you don't need to worry about tier in invasions.

Yeah, character tier absolutely doesn't matter. One thing that could matter though is character element type. Certain fights will be way harder with certain characters because of it. Like last season sucked if you wanted to play Johnny because energy is weak to blood and a ton of the fights were against blood element because it was the vampire season.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, character tier absolutely doesn't matter. One thing that could matter though is character element type. Certain fights will be way harder with certain characters because of it. Like last season sucked if you wanted to play Johnny because energy is weak to blood and a ton of the fights were against blood element because it was the vampire season.

I think I just rolled Geras since there were hardly any Acid elements in Season 1 to my knowledge.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Does this have crossplay with PC yet, and if not when will it

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

Does this have crossplay with PC yet, and if not when will it

Crossplay is coming in February.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
this must be the least talked about NRS game of all time

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Areola Grande posted:

this must be the least talked about NRS game of all time

Yeah, i'm really disappointed and sad at how bad this game did, and how disappointing in general MK1 is. I was really hyped for it until release. I guess the writing was kinda on the wall too. MK11 launched as a total mess, but did get way better, but it was a pretty jarring release after how good Injustice 2, and MKX were right at the start.

But for MK1, it kinda feels like NRS doesn't really care. They've had since September to address the player complaints and haven't yet. With MK11 they were pretty fast to fix the issues, and MK11 was just stability and bugs, MK1 is that it lacks any interesting content besides the story.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I remain grateful that I am completely oblivious to the differences between "good" grindy pointless bullshit and "bad" grindy pointless bullshit

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Invasions kind of sucks but anytime I play the game with a friend I have a ton of fun.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Finished mk1 story mode today and….i can’t be the only one tired of all this multiverse and timeline poo poo right? It’s lazy storytelling

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I think a lot of the problems with MK1 are all signs of WB Games struggling. Everything from the announcement of the game during an accounting call to the half-finished feel that everything outside of the actual Kombat has just screams "pushed out to keep the parent company afloat"

I haven't played an MK game this little since MKvDCU and even that had like double the playtime as I got in MK1 before just being done with it.

I got the season pass (because I will literally always throw money at MK) and I haven't even updated the game since before Omniman came out. The invasions didn't pull me back in like I thought they would either.

I wish the PC releases of the other MK games had a community that I could game in, but they are all essentially dead.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m in the same boat. This game’s content was supremely disappointing to me after MK 11’s wealth of poo poo To Do. Invasions wasn’t terribly fun the first time and I’m certainly not compelled to repeat it over multiple seasons. The towers of time and unlocks system isn’t compelling to me here.

I haven’t touched the game since before Omni-Man came out and I had bought the ultimate gently caress you edition purely based on how much I enjoyed the previous MK games.

This one ain’t it. I find the kameos tacky, the guest characters lame, the content lacking, etc. pretty much all I got out of it was the story mode was fun. But it was fun precisely once. In a world where SF 6 was a full package and Tekken 8 is on the horizon, this didn’t manage to stay in my rotation.

I have to wonder if COVID played a part in this game coming out kind of lackluster.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I still play but I have yet to touch any other modes besides vs. and practice so that's most likely why. Shame the single player offering isn't as robust as it was in the past.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
this, just like all WB's woes is David Zaslav's fault of mismanaging everything from top to bottom.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

I still enjoy fighting strangers online so long as it's after midnight, voice chat is muted and I'm good and drunk. that's when I'm unchill enough to kick some rear end.

brutalities have never been more gratifying but I do miss mercies

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Having not played an MK game since 9 I was very excited to jump on board this day 1. The story mode was fun but I tricked myself into enjoying invasion mode - way too long and grindy in hindsight. I never took the game online for versus because I wanted to jump into playing with my fighting game buddy... Who is on PC, so our combined interest died off well before we had an idea when crossplay was coming. Then there's the whole Anthony Starr not voicing Homelander thing which sucks because I was excited for Homelander.

Also coming back to MK from such a long absence I don't think I "get" NRS fighting games. Having played SF6 for a few months before MK1 dropped it feels oddly restrictive to throw out these short combo chains instead of poking and then free-forming into a combo. And information felt so scarce! Feels like I was spoiled by Supercombo wiki because it took a while to discover that the fastest moves were 10F so anything -9 or lower was safe on block. Then I remembered TYM still exists but by then my interest was pretty much gone. Which is a shame because there looks like a fun game here, it just didn't make a good first impression.

Oh well, at least my YouTube recommendations are full of 6Arakin getting mad or stomped.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Jailing should be shot into the sun. Stupid mechanic.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

unattended spaghetti posted:

Jailing should be shot into the sun. Stupid mechanic.

Frame Traps in my fighting games?!?!?

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

khameleon drops today for early access havers. anybody check her out yet :allears:

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

:eng99:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Checking out these drops feels like work now :negative:

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

Ruffian Price posted:

Checking out these drops feels like work now :negative:

:agreed: :ferrari:

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

DeadButDelicious posted:

Having not played an MK game since 9 I was very excited to jump on board this day 1. The story mode was fun but I tricked myself into enjoying invasion mode - way too long and grindy in hindsight. I never took the game online for versus because I wanted to jump into playing with my fighting game buddy... Who is on PC, so our combined interest died off well before we had an idea when crossplay was coming. Then there's the whole Anthony Starr not voicing Homelander thing which sucks because I was excited for Homelander.

Also coming back to MK from such a long absence I don't think I "get" NRS fighting games. Having played SF6 for a few months before MK1 dropped it feels oddly restrictive to throw out these short combo chains instead of poking and then free-forming into a combo. And information felt so scarce! Feels like I was spoiled by Supercombo wiki because it took a while to discover that the fastest moves were 10F so anything -9 or lower was safe on block. Then I remembered TYM still exists but by then my interest was pretty much gone. Which is a shame because there looks like a fun game here, it just didn't make a good first impression.

Oh well, at least my YouTube recommendations are full of 6Arakin getting mad or stomped.

I took my SF6 break to play Mk1. Did story mode and the first season of invasion and... I haven't gone back to it. The game didn't "stick" at all.

1. Buggy as hell.
2. Overt monetization/microtransaction crud. While this also creeped its way into SF6 in a way I don't like, there it feel entirely optional where in MK1 it seems to be the emphasis of the game.
3. Invasion is simply no fun at all. Just grinding fights while moving through the environment is painfully slow.
4. Kameo system/concept is gunk. Why can't I just play as classic scorpion instead of man-bun scorpion with horrible fatalities?
5. The non-mk guest character crap is so tiring. It was bad in Mkx, it was bad in mk11, and looks to be just as bad in mk1.

I do like the faster gameplay and return of air juggles in Mk1 over the gameplay in Mk11 as well as the rehabilitation of 3d era characters... but outside of that this game is severely lacking.

G-III fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 19, 2024

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Invasion needs to be about 1/3 to 1/2 the current length.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Invasion needs to be about 1/3 to 1/2 the current length.

It's shorter than it was first season, thank god. Whether they shortened it due to complaints or just the amount of work it took to fill so many nodes with fights I'm happy about it. This season's length seems fine to me considering they gave people two months to complete it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This should be a thing you can buy:

https://x.com/GohBilly1/status/1751095508813119864?s=20

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wish I could post this without the Youtuber influencer but whatever watch them on mute since these are pretty amusing and this threads dead until the next DLC anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FpFpAw6aao&t=27s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1xUJb45jw4

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
That is amazing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've always said Smash Bros with fatalities would sell millions, but nobody takes me seriously. They will learn today.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

no kasual opponents available at 1 AM on PS5. truly pathetic

this is when I normally play which is probably a bad plan but still. this game is on a slippery slope to outright failure :gas:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

:hmmyes: might be because I was downloading the ffvii rebirth demo. my bad :shrug:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1760480348515774930

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-NGYeVxzUA

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Don't understand why they're bothering with more dlc for a clearly dead game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's the DLC they were already going to do.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Was way more excited to see Janet Cage than anything Peacemaker was doing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

So I've never watched the show or read the Peacemaker comics, does PM usually have a super helmet with forcefields and stuff?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Technowolf posted:

So I've never watched the show or read the Peacemaker comics, does PM usually have a super helmet with forcefields and stuff?

yea he has a bunch of different helmets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jerkface posted:

yea he has a bunch of different helmets

I assume the helmets will probably be the different pieces of cosmetic gear that you can change.