Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

codo27 posted:

Man what is that loving announcer voice? I'm so glad I didn't buy this game

There are multiple announcers, default is just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Twibbit posted:

There are multiple announcers, default is just fine.

Ed boon personally came to my house and threatened to burn it down if I didn't use the omniman voice

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

codo27 posted:

You have to pay extra to get that boring voice

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

mexican willie posted:

You have to pay extra to get that boring voice

I still kan't believe they gave the best pack away for free. The 2nd best one, I still bought.

Best one being Johnny Cage's, which you get I think after clearing the Invasions tutorial? And then 2nd best is Shang Tsung's, at least in my opinion.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Really struggling with MK1 at the moment. I feel like I'm not getting any better, still making a lot of really stupid mistakes. It's two things really, I'm bad at defense and I'm not putting out enough damage in terms of stringing together good kombos. I know that accounts for like, most of the game, but still

Edit: I switched to Havik recently because I like his vibe and like a gross character but I don't know if he's the right fit for me.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

codo27 posted:

Not your tempo?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
something about the way characters bounce/bound when launched.. i can't land a combo to save my loving life in this game. I always panic and hit too early

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Firstborn posted:

something about the way characters bounce/bound when launched.. i can't land a combo to save my loving life in this game. I always panic and hit too early

Sometimes you gotta be 2 inputs ahead of what's on screen and sometimes you gotta wait. It's weird. Wearing headphones seems to help me time it out.

But holding Jump before an animation is finished is the part my brain can't grasp.

Smash their face into the dirt with omni man, and I'm supposed to input Jump before they even get thrown in the air or else it's too late to Jump?

Whaaaaaa ?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't have a ps5 yet, is Johnny Cage an announcer option?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't have a ps5 yet, is Johnny Cage an announcer option?

One of the first you unlock for free even

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My own fault for getting the PC version instead of the PS5 (it was way cheaper) but I'm having horrible stuttering after one or two fights.
Does anyone know a fix for this? I Tried changing settings on my Nvidia as per some steam post, but didn't seem to work... It's pretty unplayable like this.

Besides that, game fun. It's been a while since I picked up a proper fighting game (instead of a platform fighter) and I'm really bad, chaining combos is way beyond my ability right now. Getting through the story on Hard for now, but between the PC being a challenging opponent for my complete lack of skills and having to reset every 15 minutes I'm not getting anywhere fast. Besides practicing a bunch, any newbie recommendation I should consider?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Go to normal or easy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Unbound posted:

Go to normal or easy.

Yeah, story mode is not the place to learn, so trying to push through a higher difficulty on it doesn't make a ton of sense. Also in some chapters, the characters' movesets are constrained.

You should do the tutorials if you haven't already. They are very good and maybe the best hands-on explainer of fighting game mechanics I've seen.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If you plan to play vs. other people you should do the tutorials first, then watch a couple of combo/general strat for your chosen character -> practice mode -> go online.

Playing vs. AI is not going to teach you anything.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr. Neutron posted:

Playing vs. AI is not going to teach you anything.

Just getting through the campaign first for some getting used to basic mechanics, I know it's not proper practice but MK campaigns are always fun.

Thanks for the suggestions though! Will check out the tutorials.

Any idea about fixes for stuttering on PC? I can play like 5 fights before they start and make it unplayable. My rig is good so I can't be the only one having all these issues.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Any idea about fixes for stuttering on PC? I can play like 5 fights before they start and make it unplayable. My rig is good so I can't be the only one having all these issues.

I haven't had any issues. Have you tried verifying your game cache?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yeah, I'm on PC and the only time I've had stuttering issues is right after a game or driver update where it didn't fully compile shaders on the first go around.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I haven't encountered any stuttering but every time there is any lag during a match, for the rest of the match the game starts to skip frames which makes it nearly unplayable. I don't know if it's just my PC or what but it makes online highly unenjoyable. Neither mkx nor m11 had that problem. So I all but switched to console.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/81daniel18/status/1729555104519311758

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sooo I hadn't played in a couple of weeks and was getting caught up on this season's invasion tonight and I discovered that you can do a brutality on a timeout victory if you're the winner and you time it right.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/Domoralize/status/1729425319000481811

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The Thanksgiving one would have been better if you vomited up your entire skeleton.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMQOKRhpc_s

Hi Peacemaker!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's the koolest Khameleon has ever looked.

edit: also that finisher genuinely gave me a chuckle. Quan gets such good fatalities.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 3, 2023

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

looks awesome especially after how wack omniman is

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Quan Cheap-o

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
He's even doing a reasonable facsimile of Tang Soo Do from the ps2 games

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
let's be real it's also the coolest quan chi has ever looked

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Digging Quan Chi getting MK9 Noob Portal Gimmicks. Khameleon also looked great.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/reneiscursed/status/1734684496149324216

Quan Chi and Khameleon tomorrow

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Xaw6RXOB8

I ran through the first half of the season of blood right before expiry so I could get some of the skins since they looked dope and it was a much better experience than the first season. Season 3 looks really cool too. Maybe MK1 will steadily improve and become a good game. It looks like we'll be getting prematch dialogue for at least the bosses if not more single player stuff (which is insane they didnt include it to begin with) and the skins look really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qXK9VwWSk

Chameleon has a pretty weak fatality

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/18id2l6/quan_chis_second_fatality/

Quan Chi's are both gold tho

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/18ieb09/new_christmas_fatality/

Christmas fatality is actually lol Very good. (still not buying it)

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 14, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Am I completely off the mark with thinking Invasion loving sucks?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

I said come in! posted:

Am I completely off the mark with thinking Invasion loving sucks?

No, it really does and in general makes me regret buying the game. (Though story mode was fun)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I played invasions for about ten minutes and dipped. Tbh if the single player offerings suck I don't care so much. But I think the partner system was pretty poorly thought out and the way they're patching seems insane to me as someone who definitely prefers the online experience. I've never expected great balance from them, and if the game didn't have the kind of combos it does I would consider it a net improvement over 11 because the variation system was trash. But much like Soulcalibur, another series that has had something of an identity crisis in its last three entries, the gimmick poo poo hurts a game that imho should trim down and start over, mechanically speaking.

Put more simply they should design characters that are just good and balanced against each other instead of trying to create novel ways to vary one character. Makes the game harder to balance, forces weird meta bullshit, creates way too much variation to very little gain, etc etc.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 17, 2023

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I liked it the first time but quickly lost interest on the new seasons.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Urethane posted:

I liked it the first time but quickly lost interest on the new seasons.

Yeah I am trying to get through the newest one, I finished the last few, but the motivation just isn't there anymore. I'm glad we still have just normal towers, but MKXI's was so much better.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hello I am very stupid with MK characters who is the new kameo (to the right of Jax) and how do I unlock them?

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
Khamelion will be released in a few days for those of us who paid for early access. the padlock icon on her face means u can't choose that rear end rn

:tipshat:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey, how do I get Talismans in the Invasion mode? I played a bit of it several months ago, and I jumped into it again the other night and found a portal that said if I jump through it, I'd leave the tutorial and there were items I hadn't gotten yet. But I ran around for a good five minutes and couldn't find anything that didn't say Complete on it, so eventually I gave up and went through the portal. Did I miss something super important?

e: also am I being handicapped if I play Scorpion? I saw he's low tier but I really wanna play my favorite old-school MK character. Is he missing a lot of options and stuff? I still haven't quite got my head around the gameflow of MK, so I don't want to build bad habits or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Phenotype posted:

Hey, how do I get Talismans in the Invasion mode? I played a bit of it several months ago, and I jumped into it again the other night and found a portal that said if I jump through it, I'd leave the tutorial and there were items I hadn't gotten yet. But I ran around for a good five minutes and couldn't find anything that didn't say Complete on it, so eventually I gave up and went through the portal. Did I miss something super important?

e: also am I being handicapped if I play Scorpion? I saw he's low tier but I really wanna play my favorite old-school MK character. Is he missing a lot of options and stuff? I still haven't quite got my head around the gameflow of MK, so I don't want to build bad habits or whatever.

Its been a while since I did the invasion tutorial, but I don't believe you missed anything there. I remember getting a talisman somewhere in the first map I did. I do remember it feeling slow to start, but by the end you just get so many that you are constantly throwing them away.

Scorpion is always a solid character to start with in MK if you haven't played a lot of it. He's generally pretty good in every MK game and uses the fundamentals of the games really well in his overall plan. Being said, don't feel discouraged to try different characters, especially in invasions where you are likely to come across a fight that is difficult for you just because the damage modifiers lined up poorly for you. Who knows, another character might just hit that sweet spot in your brain and you leave Scorpion behind for them.