Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Minidust posted:

Yeah at least on a purely psychological level, picking a Kameo character is much better than deciding which special moves you're leaving behind. Variations felt like adding complexity for complexity's sake, solving a problem that didn't exist, not unlike the "fighting styles" of 5 thru 7. Man did anybody like Fighting Styles?? Felt like something that should have been a single character's gimmick, at most.

Fighting Styles were necessary growing pains for Netherrealm to learn to not give every character the exact same basic moveset. We all arrive at these things in our own time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I did like how they started recycling some moves in fun ways, like how Scorpion's sliding forward somersault kick with fire tracing his ankles started out as a special move in MKDA, then got integrated into a combo in MK9.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: I’m also a sicko who loved Konquest mode.

Didn't everyone?? It was kind of stupid as hell, and really fun. Shujinko going around bring the biggest moron, getting into fights with time-displaced people for no reason, and me just about breaking the controller in half with frustration because I can't get the timing on a combo with two style switches right.

I've tried the Konquest mode in MK Armageddon, but it's so awkward playing with a Wiimote.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zebia posted:

I honestly don't remember the jump scares in Deadly Alliance's Krypt. I thought that started with MKX.

I think you're right there, MK:DA had, I think, the occasional "lol empty!" koffin, though you could often tell, they were deliberately cheap.

Was MKX the most fun Krypt? I enjoyed that one, all with having to collect a few items to help you past parts.

MK9's was horribly confusing and had way too many of Ed Boon's cocktail napkin stick figure fatality sketches.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

EorayMel posted:

Bring Back Hsu Hao

You know, at this point, why not. They're clearly having fun redesigning characters from the ground up, and it's working.

Though, how many times can you say Umgadi in one trailer?

I really hope that they get Anthony Starr in to do voicework for Homelander, though I'm not expecting it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Went out with a bang.

edit: drat it, I'm getting tempted to pull the trigger on the premium edition again even though I really regretted that for MK11, €25 isn't worth a pack of six characters.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 22, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also, Netherrealm hasn't been consistent about it. After clearly being black in MK4 and MK Deception, she was suddenly white in MKX's story mode. But they corrected that when they made her playable.

I kinda liked the Egyptian hair & dark make-up she had, though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Liu Kang likes to watch. He's a prankster.

He's a fan, of man.

Wanderer posted:

Either way, in MK cosmology, there are the Elder Gods (unthinkably powerful, rarely directly active), the Titans (Kronika, Shinnok, Cetrion), the gods (Raiden, Fujin, Argus), and then demigods like Rain. Kang's acting like Raiden, which means he's willing to take a direct hand in things if it means keeping Earthrealm safe.

Shinnok and Cetrion are Elder Gods, I think Kronika's the only "bigger than" that's been brought up.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't there also some many-faced singular omni-god?

I remember one or more MK9 endings involved the Elder Gods turning out to have splintered off one primal being, and were, I think, merged again against their will. But it's kind of iffy whether those get treated as canon.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Donnerberg posted:

He's generic and forgettable. It's Cole from the new MK movie if it isn't a redshirt.

Boon even joked about adding him at the time. In fact, that was the troll. Making us think he was joking.

poo poo, I would love that. Like how Hsu Hao immediately dies in the MKX prequel comic.

Just, Cole Young swaggering in and summoning his golden basket shirt. Then Kung Lao's hat flies in and cleanly takes off his head.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Liu Kang why did you make everyone Chinese?

Liu Kang: *shrugs*

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jax is haunted by the fact that his Revenant was the coolest look he's ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

oswald ownenstein posted:

Stryer looks awesome and they just owned the MK3 design which is great

It even sounds like they made an effort to give him an MK3 style voice with the kind of pinched-throat "HuH!"-s.