Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Good MKs: OG 1 (for its time), 2, 9. Will this be the Fourth Good Mortal Kombat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I will never forgive the variations system. Its bad enough all the new characters were lame, but you cant even properly use the klassic ones because their movesets were split up into 3 modes. Stupid.

I've always wondered why they cant use an updated version of the tech they used for the original 2D games to create photorealistic sprites. Ed did allude to a full fledged remaster (not that disgraceful arcade kollection) being in production years ago but halting, and saying he might one day explain why, but he never has.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Li Mei looks sick.

I wanna take a ride on your disco stick

Re: the post on the last page about scummy practices, yeah I wish Ed, being one of the OGs of the industry would have bucked that trend, but instead embraces and pioneers the roguery of DLC. Announcing DLC characters before the game or even the base roster is even released is a huge slap in the face

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who is everyone besides reptile?

Not really a fair evaluation seeing I watched it on my phone but the sfx seem very bad.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I didn't like the last 2 games due to the variation system, and the kameos are kind of throwing me off so I ended up trying SF6, my first real foray into that franchise besides the most casual of time spent in the old days. I just couldn't make sense of the rules. Struggled making it out of bronze until the other night when I just decided it was all more frustration than it was worth. First time I've ever really backed down and given up on a game. So I guess now my focus is back on MK1 again.

MK2 makes up about 80% of my fighting experience, I was pretty serious about it from 07-12 or so. But I guess there isn't going to be much that will apply here. One of the big things in SF6 I struggled with was blocking, so used to MK2 where down+back was all you had to do, couldn't even be thrown. Now having to decide whether to block high or low or to get ready for a throw, I found it hard to judge, especially seeing there seemed to be something of a delay. Its like its not enough to be holding down+back if a low attack is coming in, you already need to be crouched before it hits for it to block. Which I guess isn't illogical but its not what I'm used to.

Is this carrying a lot of gameplay mechanics over from 11?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Are you guys mad? They are totally trying to recapture the whole Mortal Monday vibe and it works. I dunno if the game will be any good but this commercial is hype.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

timp posted:

(Ferra/Tor, Erron Black, Geras, the various kids of the original characters)

All of these were hot garbage and even resurrecting the 3D era jobbers is an improvement

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There ain't no recent mk movie and there never was

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Making MK into prestige television, now that would be hard. Though they did very well with that first series of shorts that came out 10 years ago or whatever.

Making MK into a schlocky but serviceable fun ride should be easy, but they couldn't find the line that separates cheesy bad and cheesy endearing with that last atrocity.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember our VCR failing when I rented MK:A. What mercy that was, though we did see maybe a half hour or so of it before it died.

The new movie is also complete cow dung but in a different, more modern way. I keep thinking back to Shang Tsung going "the great nitara, isn't she beautiful?" Shut the gently caress up you ridiculous excuse for a villain. The 1995 Shang is such a great villain, by any standard, even in a pure cheese movie. But of course, mainly, you have motherfucking 30 years of loving video games to draw from, why oh loving WHY create this generic new poo poo character no one could possibly care about just for the movie? Hollywood's about, what, 90% remakes and reboots currently? They coulda made this movie on autopilot and been a serviceable flick for us fans, but nope. Lets create a MK movie in name only that no one will like!

Sorry, I've been drinking

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whoa Val Kilmer with a funny hat.

I spent $92 on beer this past weekend but I'm thinking really hard of taking a gamble on this at full price, knowing I'll have to spend even more to get the rest of the characters later on. The marketing thing is pretty alarming.

While we're dunking on RR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlBbwyRtU9w

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

I really wish they weren't using the old designs for Cyrax/Sektor

You telling me its unreasonable for cybernetic beings to wear Lululemon full body suits under their armor?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Isn't it fuckin wild how there have been pages and pages of discussion about the story of a fighting game? A Mortal Kombat fighting game?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Doesn't look like him at all.

Thats loving pathetic beyond words if Boon actually paid to be on a loving youtube video, even if it is one of the most popular gimmicks out there right now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got my PS1 second hand from a fighting game nut, it came with MKT, Tekken, Soul Blade, and WCW vs the World. Soul Blade was such a cool game, and I've wanted to try and get into the series more recently but I kind of count myself out, like it would be too steep a learning curve to become competitive.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dont you just move around from place to place like Mario 3's world map?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The thing that gives me pause is all the juggling. And I know its been a part of fighting games for a long time. Its the very core of what combat is, you make a mistake, you get punished. But being juggled and bouncing off the floor for these really drawn out combos with nothing that can be done until the combo is exhausted or your opponent makes a mistake just irks me. I guess its something I just have to learn to deal with.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a tournament next weekend that begs my focus and attention so I'm waiting til after that to buy. Pending reports itt.

Does the game just use your steam name for online play?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ultimate nitpick but I cant stand the beige life/EX bars. I wouldn't pay for it, but it would be cool if you could unlock the klassic UI elements from previous games.

Watching some vids earlier, and I'm still a bit uneasy at all the juggling and how easy it is to get bounced, plus the involvement of kameos to further extend combos. I still think I'm gonna get the game next week.

Can anyone recommend any tips or reading material for someone who hasn't played the last 2 games?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Regrettable posted:

There's a mod to fix the framerate just like at the launch of MK11 but it was made with the prerelease version and I think it needs to be updated because it made Reptile's face get smushed in.

I'm just imagining fatalities now with 500% facial animations

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does Raiden have the superman move still?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How come I've seen videos with life bars that are 950/1000/1100?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Andrew Verse posted:

Some characters have lower or higher health than others, and kameos can also give a health buff or debuff.

Wow, thats complete horse poo poo. Thats one thing you just cannot gently caress with, everyone starts with the same life bar.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wanna wait till my birthday in late October to pick up the game (get as a gift) but I'm concerned with how much the player base might have dwindled by then, especially on PC with no crossplay

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone made a video with the thumbnail saying "OMG OMNIMAN SO BROKEN" and boon shared it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant really explain it but there is something about the sfx, particularly the blunt impacts that really sounds off to me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Man what is that loving announcer voice? I'm so glad I didn't buy this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Quan Cheap-o