Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If and when Reptile comes back, they need to give him his ridiculous crab style from DA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One of the insanely cool things about Deadly Alliance is that, because it doesn't have blockstun in the traditional sense, drat near everything is minus on block, except for the moves that bug out the blocking animations which makes them plus on whiff

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think they would have announced the contents of the entire season pass so early if it hadn't already leaked.

One aspect of DLC nobody talks about is having paid unlocks for characters that are already in the game - Frost is not available in MK11 from the jump (or wasn't, maybe that's changed) and has to be unlocked by playing a ways into story mode, but the way she's initially presented on the character select is as if she's strictly DLC, and I do wonder precisely how many people felt compelled to pay money for her because they didn't know better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

pretty soft girl posted:

Lol that they bothered putting in Darrius just to make him have some of the most boring generic looking moves in the entire game so far

Guess it's true to the source material, the weird hardcore 3d era fans must be thrilled

I think I posted this in the other thread when he was first revealed but Darrius is the absolute worst of the 3D-era characters in terms of memorable moves, which makes him especially ill-suited to be a cameo since they're all staying faithful to whatever the characters originally did. That spin-kick he does in the new trailer (which they basically changed into a completely different thing by having the main character fling him around) is the most memorable move he has, and it's completely recycled from Cyrax from the game before.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's been a long time since I played Mythologies but Sareena's ridiculous halloween-devil form isn't a thing that was ever depicted in any of the games, is it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can only presume they're using the exact design they came up with in the '00s because good lord is it dumb.

It seems like their soft rule with cameos is to keep them traditional, in contrast to the playable characters which are all reimagined to varying degrees, so it strikes me as odd that they'd take a character that most people would struggle to recognise to begin with and then have them look completely different on top of that... but again, they're stuck with the necessity of divining interesting utility from characters with zero mechanical identity, so I guess you'd practically have to basically have to completely reinvent a character like Sareena just to wring three interesting moves out of them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Evil Canadian posted:

The PC version is handled by a completely different company(high voltage), so having a PC beta isn't quite as easy.

QLOC's doing the PC version - they've done all NRS' PC stuff since MKXL, which they were given after High Voltage hosed up the initial PC version of MKX.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PostNouveau posted:

They didn't have much choice but to reboot after the last one. I guess they coulda got cosmic with it or something?

They could've gone back into the past to the era of the original Kung Lao, like they suggested they would in that one ending - still a reboot, but more of a let's-try-this-again from an as-yet-undepicted point in time, rather than Liu Kang trying to reshape the universe. MK has so many super-old/practically immortal characters that they could've kept a ton of the classic characters, even.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MK's fanbase will go to bat for every single character in a way that other fighting game fanbases don't - the SF producers aren't fielding angry tweets from Retsu fans and Harada's not being bombarded with requests for Forrest Law or whoever but I guarantee you there are thousands of people screaming BRING BACK DAIROU at Ed Boon right this second.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 2, 2023

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SUNKOS posted:

I thought the Nitara trailer was cool but she's a new character to me since I have no memory of the 3D MK games where these are coming from. I did see comments though that her original design was more like a vampire pirate, with a hat and eye patch? I wish they had leaned into that more to make her look more distinct since a pirate vampire is a really fun concept for a character and is a refreshing change from all the ninjas.

Speaking of, the same place I read about Nitara's original design being like that also commented on Reiko as well, and are they another character confirmed for this game that we haven't seen the reveal trailer for yet? Or is their presence on the roster speculation? I hope they're weird.

I really wish they weren't using the old designs for Cyrax/Sektor/Kano/Sonya etc. and actually modernized them because they look like they're in the wrong game. It reminds me of Gran Turismo and the standard/premium cars thing where there were actual current gen cars and then a whole bunch copy & pasted from the PS2 games which stuck out and looked terrible. I enjoyed MK3 a lot back in the day and like Cyrax & Sektor a lot in particular but they look ridiculous appearing next to modern updated characters. The newer updated designs they had were perfect and I wish they'd stuck with them, same goes for the others as well. Motaro got a nice visual design upgrade that brought him on-par with the other characters so the whole thing seems messy and nonsensical to me, and also like it probably would have been easier to just re-use and slightly tweak/update the newer models than recreate those old ones that look silly now.

Not a dealbreaker and I've got the game preordered with the first DLC pack because it looks insanely fun to play but some of those kameos look so bad. Do we know if they'll get skins maybe?

Nitara's not actually pirated-themed, she's just wearing a whole bunch of random bullshit because they had zero idea what the gently caress they were doing during that era. One of her alts has kabuki makeup or something.

The basic theming with cameos is to keep them using classic designs, to make them immediately visually distinct from the playable characters but also because their appearance isn't supposed to be canon, with the conceit that they just got yanked out of some other timeline for this fight or whatever (except for Sareena who looks completely different 90% of the time?). They aren't direct cut/pastes, either.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I saw that pop up on my feed and was like "...why?"

A lot of the entertainment industry's striking, that's why

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dpulex posted:

No crossplay at launch is a decision i guess you could make for a fighting game in 2023

Crossplay is only really essential for smaller games with a low player population, and if you gently caress it up then it ruins the experience for everybody, so if they need the time to make sure it'll work before they add it then I'd rather they wait.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I just saw Darrius' fatality and it's not even his old fatality, ie the one memorable thing he ever did. Why is he in this game

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's been long enough, where's Bruce Leroy

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Diabetic posted:

I know it's been said to death on this one but I think, had they had enough time, the New Era would've been more focused on the past with the first Kung Lao. They had to change it at some point to just use the standard roster as the template.

I tend to think so too but on the other hand, it's not like they didn't walk back all their other big obvious teasers for their other games - MK9 supposedly wiped the slate clean but being dead didn't really keep many characters out of the game or even keep them dead, MKX promised edgelord Raiden going against other realms but rushed through that and literally deleted him ASAP, etc.

I still think they could have kept a lot of the supposedly-necessary characters had they done the Great Kung Lao timeline, too - a ton of the characters have super-long lifespans, others like Scorpion and Sub-Zero are mantles they could technically throw onto other characters without having to change them too much, etc.

TulliusCicero posted:

He made him even WORSE than before

Yes and also in the sense that he's a Reptile-tier jobber in the story

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The only weird thing about bringing padding Jade padding back is that Tanya basically took their old personality for the new timeline

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Wanderer posted:

It's not really for normal players. It's for tournament organizers who need to unlock all that on 10+ systems.

Get this: what if it was, like, a button command, instead of $20

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A lot of elements around this game feel undercooked and I don't doubt the voice recording was similarly strained, and that professional VA are just more capable of competent performances under duress.

Megan Fox being so bad is probably more beneficial for the character than if she'd even just been okay, because now Nitara has one memorable feature instead of none

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Between this game and the mobile game they have ramping up, it really seems like someone at WB decided the IP wasn't being milked hard enough and that they had to establish a status quo where multiple versions of every conceivable character could justifiably be milked at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I remain grateful that I am completely oblivious to the differences between "good" grindy pointless bullshit and "bad" grindy pointless bullshit