Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

going from peak Sonya in MK3 to the humorless cop that inhabited X/11 was the worst possible route. Even if it's not the MK3 version I'm glad this game gives us the Pat Benetar outfit

She was always portrayed as a bit dour and a hard-rear end. If anything I would say her X/11 portrayal humanised her a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The style changes in Deception were cool, you could quickly change between them but you couldn’t attack immediately so you were vulnerable. You also couldn’t change mid-combo unless you were doing the specific style-change combos. Everybody had two empty-hand styles and one weapon style and their specials. They were way overboard on the dial-a-combo system, some of Shujinko’s combos specifically were like 12 moves long and impossible to remember. At least the roster was small enough that it kinda worked. Armageddon sucks so bad, they didn’t have enough fighting styles for all the characters so they each got one empty-handed and one weapon style but even then there were repeats.

Anyway I enjoyed wrecking people in Deception with Mileena because she was insanely good, I wish I coulda played online.

Edit: I’m also a sicko who loved Konquest mode.

IIRC Mileena was pretty much bottom-tier, but then again some characters had ludicrously easy infinites (most infamously I think Bo' Rai Cho's f3, throw), sidestepping was worthless because you could track every opponent by holding up and developing actual skill was barely necessary because characters like Dairou, Noob/Smoke and Kobra could cycle between spamming the same three moves and usually still come out on top. Someone else said we look back at DA/Deception now more critically, but that's not true. Most serious players knew how lovely Deception was from the get-go. It just took some time for the wider community (kommunity?) to let it sink in.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

pretty soft girl posted:

Of all the MKs is Deception competitively the worst? I know MKvDC is really bad too but I'm not familiar with why. People have mined at least some depth and a functional meta out of the rest of the series, even Armageddon if you agree not to use air infinites. Everything about Deception just seems awful and braindead.

I'm not sure, I stopped playing competitively after Deception after a really creepy encounter with a psychopath. I've heard nothing but bad stuff about Armageddon as well though. Even without infinites, it would still have been a shitshow because of the 50/50 problem for starters. I don't know enough about the mechanics of MKvDC to answer that one but I don't think it ever got picked up at competitions like EVO so that should tell you enough.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Wanderer posted:

I see we've directly addressed the "is Tanya black" question.

Was this ever a question?

Also; there was a screen grab that 95% confirmed Reiko on the main roster and Motaro as a Kameo.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

EorayMel posted:

What does Kollector's era look like :thunk:

A multiverse of MLMs. A multiversal-level marketing scheme, if you will, with Argus's pyramid literally replaced by a pyramid scheme.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I would have bet large amounts of money that Geras was a one-and-done. He had no personality and saw little play. Really, really surprised they saw something salvageable there.

NRS (and old Midway) pull surprises like that on the regular though. No one predicted Li Mei would be back on main roster duty after Deadly Alliance because she was perceived as whitebread and boring, yet there she was in Deception. Or how they saw fit to bring back Bo' Rai Cho in the MXL ultimate DLC despite him not being in demand nor well-liked by the fanbase.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mover posted:

why would they not make the cool hat skin go to kung lao. mods???

I think they already did that in MKX/11 (can't remember which one) with a Gaucho Kung Lao skin that even had a bushy drooping moustache.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Diabetic posted:

Johnny Cage loving rules.

It also feels like his family is the only canon use of the letter C.

Cyrax and Chameleon disagree

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

It was alright in a "everyone did their best but no one's gonna win an Oscar here".

People hating on that movie have no idea what it was like to endure Mortal Kombat Annihilation. Even as a 14 year old watching it at the movie theatre I could tell it was lovely and dumb and almost no one involved had any genuine love for the source material. Still, my brothers and I sometimes still go back to some of its unforgettable one-liners. I still appreciate the insane and inappropriately dramatic tone Brian Thompson brought to the role of Shao Kahn.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

MK's fanbase will go to bat for every single character in a way that other fighting game fanbases don't - the SF producers aren't fielding angry tweets from Retsu fans and Harada's not being bombarded with requests for Forrest Law or whoever but I guarantee you there are thousands of people screaming BRING BACK DAIROU at Ed Boon right this second.

Oddly, speficically Dairou doesn't seem to have that kind of fan base. I was always a lot more baffled by the Sareena fan club.

exquisite tea posted:

Reptile is a classic FG example of having an outsized fanbase despite never being especially popular at any point in the series. I'm surprised that Kung-Jin is somehow the 12th most popular pick.

True but don't forget the pro-players making some characters more visible, IIRC Reptile's often been a top-tier pick so he was quite visible among the more dedicated players. And among the old-timers, he's remembered fondly as the first secret NPC.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Gavok posted:

Here's a fun article I wrote: 15 Things You Never Knew About Mortal Kombat

Well, some things should be known. I did talk about the Eric Roberts/Bo' Rai Cho thing here a few days ago.

As an OG superfan who knows embarrassingly much about MK history, I want you to know I really appreciated this fantastic deep cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Haven't played since MK9 but still follow new games with great interest, so I while I can't say much about the gameplay, here's a few stray observations I had:

- Story Mode: I'll agree with whoever said this is the flimsiest one yet. It feels weirdly toothless and low-stakes until it becomes supremely ridiculously omni-stakes at the end. The goon here who said they were aiming for a Deadly Alliance - Deception - Armageddon speedrun expressed it best. I did enjoy Good Guy Baraka/Reptile/Mileena/Tanya but they did almost nothing with Havik and Reiko is so painfully bland that I'm half-convinced NRS considers him a practical joke now. His moveset looks extremely pedestrian and uninspired as well.
- Story Highlights:
> The friendship development between Cage and Kenshi
> Ashrah's introduction
> Madam Bo
- Story Lowlights:
> Shang: "I killed your family already, Reptile." Reptile: "Oh no! Anyway,"
> Megan Fox's voice acting (it's not as bad as Rhonda Rousey's, but it's up there)

- Character Design Changes, the good:
> Shang's perma-smug expression is awesome
> Giving Quan Chi his intense withering gaze back
> The "ninja" costumes all look fantastic, with Reptile as the standout
> Li Mei's slightly tired Outworld beat cop aesthetic is great
> Geras's design is glorious - he looks majestic and otherworldly at the same time

- Character Design Changes, the bad:
> The face designs for Kenshi and Cage look too much alike to me
> Shujinko looks too much like Shang Tsung
> Why does Quan Chi suddenly look Indian - is the idea to visually remind us of Mola Ram from the Temple of Doom?
> The face designs for Kitana/Sindel/Mileena look off-putting somehow, like they're botoxed-up distant relatives of the Kardashians
> Ermac's design is terrible and it gets worse once he becomes Jerrod - it somehow looks unfinished
> I miss Quan Chi's deep, buttery voice from MKX