Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

codo27 posted:

I will never forgive the variations system. Its bad enough all the new characters were lame, but you cant even properly use the klassic ones because their movesets were split up into 3 modes. Stupid.
Yeah at least on a purely psychological level, picking a Kameo character is much better than deciding which special moves you're leaving behind. Variations felt like adding complexity for complexity's sake, solving a problem that didn't exist, not unlike the "fighting styles" of 5 thru 7. Man did anybody like Fighting Styles?? Felt like something that should have been a single character's gimmick, at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Until now, MK9 was the only one with no new kharacters in the base roster right? Even Armageddon had those 2 dudes.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
People really overthinking this imo, WBD couldn’t care less about MK lore as long as the game has Scorpion, Sub Zero and fatalities

There’s timeline reset stuff because… that’s how MK11 ended?? Like I get that studio mandates are a thing, but I don’t see it playing an especially big role here

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
There's no indication of any content differences between PS5 and Xbox versions right? IIRC, SF6 had some bonus stuff that was only for PS5 pre-orders, but I'm not aware of any such thing for MK1. I'll prob just go for Xbox since I already have a Brook adapter for it (although I did mostly use pad for MK11 on PS4... but it's nice to keep all my control options open).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is it pretty much assumed that the Kombat Pack 1 will be $40? I guess i might as well go for the MK1 Premium Edition then. fwiw, the Kombat Pack 1 for MK11 was $40, and I wouldn't expect this one to be less. Soooooo $110 is a great deal!! :shepspends:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
biggest downgrade from MK11 is the lack of Prince references in Rain’s move list. wtf

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
UMK3 had some weird P1/P2-specific stuff, glad to see they are cribbing awful glitches from my all-time fave in the series!

a while back someone was asking about button layouts, particulary the placement of Block on an arcade stick, and it's wild to think that far more people have been introduced to MK on consoles/console sticks than arcade at this point. My reflex response was to think "how can you play stick without block in the middle :psyduck:" but like it's entirely possible I'd rethink that layout if I approached it totally fresh, with no habits or muscle memory to unlearn.

Using this game's default layout for a stick feels like madness to me though, I have to assume people aren't actually intended to play that way and the lack of an arcade (or any!) control presets was just another casualty of the rushed release. For people brand new to MK controls, I could see a Virtua Fighter-style layout working, where block is on the bottom-left so the thumb naturally rests on it (basically how the Run button was positioned in MK3). And then the attacks are basically laid out like Tekken, except shifted over one column. Kameo above Block maybe, or a pinky press all the way to the right like it's an MvC2 assist? And just stick Stance Flip anywhere since it isn't a real button (shortcut for pressing both kicks together)

but my takeaway after some messing around is that I actually prefer the regular controller (Xbox Series X in my case) for this game overall. Clicky d-pad feels good for specials when the game doesn't use true diagonals IMO. I thought I'd prefer the stick for the d,u inputs (I liked flicking it down for teleports in the old games, where the slight recoil on a US stick would result in an up input) but even those felt better to me on pad. And I have an easier time enhancing moves when I'm able to rest a finger on the Right Trigger at all times.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
is there other stuff I should be saving the basic koins for, or should I just dump everything in the shrine? A little gun shy after MK11's Krypt economy haha

also i got some sort of premium kurrency from purchasing the Premium Edition, what's the best way to spend those?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 27, 2023

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Urethane posted:

as far as I can tell the different currencies are all exclusive to the shops you can use them on

gold koins are for the shrine
silver koins are for the seasonal shop
dragon krystals or whatever are your real money stand-in for the premium shop
aha thanks

So right now the premium shop has a Shang Tsung with microphone icon for 1000 premium kredits... I assume that's an announcer voice? Sounds rad, am I korrect in assuming there's no way to unlock that in-game? If that's the case, I know where these credits are going!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are the brutalities actually locked, or is it like MK11 where they’re technically available from the start but “unlocking” just adds them to the move list?