Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fingers crossed for a surprise Nitara appearance. The time is right for a vampire pirate.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's one of the things I appreciate about MK. You have these ancient deities representing absolutely fundamental domains such as Death, Nature, or even Time itself, beings that exist on a wholly different scale and plane than mere humanity. And they absolutely can and will get punched in the dick by a washed-up stunt actor until they die to death. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

lol yeah, I guess it does sound like I do, but I normally don't. I just like their normals a lot, and that they're both zoners happens to be secondary

Yeah, same, Jade immediately appealed to me for having a lot of reach her moves and has usually been my go-to in any MK she featured in. I'm fairly casual at fighting games and don't really go to deep into the technical side of it, but even I can appreciate "press button -> bonk a guy from half a screen away"

Speaking of me being a filthy casual, has there been any word on whether they're planning on doing something like SF6's "modern" mode that simplifies inputs for specials? Because gently caress me if I can reliably do Z-inputs or full circles.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's kinda funny how Injustice had the whole subplot with some wonder drug to explain how regular humans could fistfight the likes of Superman without being instantly annihilated. Meanwhile Mortal Kombat is just out here going "yeah that's just how humans roll don't worry about it".

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that Sareena's new design kinda owns. More of MK should go after the "spraypainted on the side of a van" aesthetic. :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:laffo: at Sindel's x-ray basically being the taint reaper. I do like how she switches between looking fairly normal and going Big Hair mode for certain moves.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

*creates a perfect new timeline*

*keeps in the fight to the death for the fate of the realms tournament*

Well death is a part of the natural order, so clearly konquest murder tournaments should be as well.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The ad is pretty dumb, but for me it's exactly the right kind of dumb. Shame they couldn't get the original mortal kombat scream guy to do his thing. :allears:

That said, they certainly can do better. The launch trailer for 11 was the hypest poo poo ever, I hope they'll manage to match that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 29, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The new movie did have some legitimately good bits (turning Sub-Zero into basically a horror movie villain for the first act was pretty inspired), but yeah in the end turned out to be less than the sum of its parts. Which is a shame cause they had so much raw loving martial arts talent in there. You could really tell where the execs stuck their dicks in and hosed with it ("But you gotta EXPLAIN how they have those powers!", also the entirety of Cole Young and his family). Ultimately it was just too much setup for not enough pay-off.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

I skipped 4 to 8 so who is Hsu Hao and why does everyone hate him so much?

He's from the era where they kept trying to do kharacters that were basically just "Kano but a little different" instead of just using Kano, and he's arguably the least interesting of the lot. Another aspect is that his visual design was... unfortunate.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Oh yeah I recall that. MKX PC was somehow even worse, though I can't remember exactly how.

IIRC they tried to do some sort of streaming release, where you could download the game in parts and start playing earlier while the rest still downloaded, like you can do with the blizzard launcher. Trouble is that they just attempted to sort of hack it into the Steam DLC system and it super didn't work.

Or was that MK9?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lmao loving Reiko :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sindel certainly has a visual villain vibe once she goes full Big Hair mode. I'm curious what they'll do with Mileena though, since she seems to have a much more sympathetic backstory this time around.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Only just got started with the kampaign, but goddamn they really put their whole rear end in there. A lot of effort went into it and it really shows, it's a lot of fun so far.

But yeah, gotta say Fox's Nitara is distractingly bad. Doubly so when she's put next to the actors for Quan Chi and Shang Tsung, who are clearly having a lot of fun with their roles.

e: Just finished it, holy poo poo that was the first game in a long while where I basically sat down and blasted through it in just two days. The final act was incredible, had me giggling the whole time through.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 23, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think the biggest mistake beginners make is actually going too fast. If you're not nailing a combo, try to slow it down in your mind and feel the exact sequence of buttons in the correct order. Being precise is a lot more important than getting it out as fast as possible, and there are points in an animation where you'll actually mess up the combo if you start too early. One other thing is that the game is way more tolerant of overclicking your buttons rather than messing up a directional input. If you want a BF2 special to come out, then MK is okay with you pressing Y more than once. But if you accidentally fat finger a directional button or anything else in between that B and F, then you're way more likely to drop it. Playing with the input history in practice mode will usually let you see where you're going awry. In most cases when I'm dropping stuff it's actually because I'm pressing buttons in the wrong order despite it being correct in my mind.

That said, there are some strings that seem to need insanely quick inputs for no apparent reason. I'm currently messing around with Kitana, and her Edenian Dance thing (IIRC it was BK 6FK FK) basically needs you to hit the second input instantly after the first, even though the actual animation takes much longer. The timing's so tight that for a while I thought the notation was simply wrong because literally every other string and special I tried until then had way more relaxed timing. I don't even know why, since IIRC there's no real mixup after the BK.

Anyway, I'm currently mostly loving around with different characters in the invasion to get a feel for them and unlock some stuff. So far Li Mei clicked the best, she's just nice and straightforward. I kinda want to learn Tanya because I just like her big stick, but the whole thing with the buff and parry seems pretty intimidating and specific.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, some of the encounters in invasions can get a bit tiresome and gimmicky. I'd rather they just crank up the health and/or damage of the bosses instead of giving them all the loving armor all the time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

The armor on bosses will run out over time if you can stall.

I don't know if it's from chipping the armor or if it has a duration.

Their auras are permanent though.

There seems some variability to the armor duration, yeah. First time I got up against boss Kitana I got dumpstered because the armor seemed to last forever and I died before it even ran out. Second attempt it seemed to go quite a bit faster, while I mostly just stayed defensive and spammed projectiles. I think I also did a lot better in the preceding round (the dodging minigame) in that attempt, maybe that's got something to do with it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I don't mind invasions in principle since the single-round setup makes it a decent way to just knock out a few matches at a time when you're just loving around, but drat it feels way too big for what it is. Like at this point I very much got the impression that I've seen all there is to see in the current season and I've done like two mesas out of... what is it, seven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Unbound posted:

I haven't played with the upblock, really at all tbh. Does it open you up to mids or anything?

Nah it blocks mids as normal, but it does have a bit of recovery and IIRC if you get thrown while doing an up block you can't counter out of it.