Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
We're going to get Cyber-Reptile instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shujinko will be the main villain of the game.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I hope Goro somehow has even more arms in this timeline.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

My main memories of the 3D era were the Deception and Armageddon intro cinematics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpEJrkjBXWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmg66B-SSQ

Little kid me thought Onaga tanking everyone's attacks was the coolest thing.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Finally, it's Hsu Hao's time to shine!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Liu Kang, how did you end up turning tarkatans into an infectious disease?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, if Ashrah makes it into MK1, she needs the outfit from this movie.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Sonya really isn't in this game(outside of a kameo), then I'm curious what they do with Johnny. I've gotten so used to Johnny Cage, loving husband and father, that it's going to be weird to see him in a game with no Sonya or Cassie.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

Some story stuff revealed:

- Scorpion is confirmed as Kuai-Liang. Whether Smoke is still Tomas or changed to Hanzo is now the big question.

It's kind of weird how the ninjas all got mixed up like this and at least one of them is going to just be out of the story. Personally, I hope the truth is that Liu Kang made sure Hanzo and his family never died, so he's just off living a nice, peaceful family life somewhere away from all thing while Liu made sure Kuai-Liang got his powers in case they ever needed them.

"Hanzo deserves to be happy, but man those powers are cool. Better make sure someone gets them at least."

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I like how, at least at the start of the story, all the OG ninjas are good guys now. Sub-Zero seems like the only one who might turn at this point. Ermac might be evil when his dlc drops, unless they bring back the "Ermac is Jerrod" plot from MK9.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What's with Johnny's armor and sword in the trailer?

Is he just trying to look cool for the big adventure?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

widespread posted:

Either that or they're doing something pretty dumb with Kenshi.

Kenshi is right there next to him in that shot. You can see his hand on Johnny's shoulder.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Making Ashrah more demonic in appearance makes sense, but yeah, give her the hat and veil back dangit.

They should have just copied her super 80s look from that new Johnny Cage movie.

EDIT: Actually, it's appears Ashrah has her hat in another shot

Guess it'll be an alt costume.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 7, 2023

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

So then Liu Kang decides to just have Reptile start off as part of the hero crew. He's better off, accepted, and appreciated.

Johnny seems super impressed by his abilities, I hope they become buddies and he tries to get Reptile to appear in his movies.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I had to double check to make sure I was reading it right.

"Well, that's an interesting Kung La-...Sub Zero?!"

At the very least, pick the ninja that is typically associated with skulls.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I saw a video the other day of some of the intro dialogue, and one of Johnny Cage's intros mentions that his mom is a cop. Was that a thing before? Because now I have this wild idea that this Johnny is actually Johnny Cage Jr. and the old Johnny and Sonya are his parents, and that's why Sonya isn't in this game. Am I crazy?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jamesman posted:

If you think about it, Liu Kang is just kinda remaking people he barely knows based on memories and assumptions. He spent a couple weeks with these people before dying and becoming a zombie lord, and that probably hosed his brain up real good too.

He's also a fusion of his evil undead self and his living, still heroic self from the past, and also some of Raiden is in there too, I guess?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izI9gYmjus8

a few of these make me chuckle and I can already tell I'm going to love these pre-pre-fight interactions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW9HmgvI2Ko

Johnny and Li Mei just trading bad jokes with each other.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 12, 2023

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Feels like they're still holding a lot back about the story, too. I'm still not entirely sure what the overall conflict is about beyond "Shang Tsung is causing problems." And yeah, that is bad, but I'd like specifics. We're this far in and they haven't even really revealed that many antagonists other than pre-order bonus Shang Tsung and Havik(Sub-Zero and Rain are probably going to be villains too, but they haven't outright shown that yet).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

At this point, with this insane (in a good way!) roster, it is so goddamn weird that we're getting playable Johnny Cage but not the Sonya/Jax/Kano troika. They're supposed to be at the tournament too!

Did Cassie just really piss off Liu Kang and he's trying to prevent her birth?

The match intro dialogue between him and Kitana is pretty flirty. He also asks Liu Kang if he "hooked up with someone else last time around".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VwkaCMB9gg

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Johnny is going to end up with someone else, but then at the end of the game a 5 year old Cassie will show up on his door step, revealing that he had a one night stand with a woman named Sonya years ago.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Hey so I got to play Mortal Kombat 1 early(again, new build!) and got to play the story mode, and the new single player invasion mode!

Here is the full Prologue and Chapter 1 of MK1 if ya wanna watch it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fKicrl8AmI

For Invasion mode and gameplay stuff ill be posting that later today on the channel as well, but I figure people are gaga for the MK story so here's as much as I can give ya

Neat. So Madam Bo is this timeline's version of Bo Rai Cho, right? Going by some on the earlier trailers, I assume this Lin Kuei attack was all a test for Liu Kang, which makes Smoke beating up an old woman and throwing her off the balcony really funny.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

Well, he did have his own TV show where he teamed up with the lady Terminator and the star of MST3K's Future War.

They all died in the end, so I guess he wasn't that great.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

If the seasonal "invasions" are all Mortal Kombat What Ifs, I'm very excited. I love MK's stupid story and seeing Scorpion get hella mad that his alternate timeline self is both literally Sub-Zero AND marrying his wife is great.

drat, what does Liu Kang have against Hanzo? Giving his name, powers, AND wife to Sub-Zero is hosed up.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I've been making points in Liu Kang's favor lately, but seriously, after watching the prologue, letting Shang Tsung live at all is his own drat fault.

I assume taking away his powers was an attempt to humble him, but he just became a snake oil salesman instead.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DeadButDelicious posted:

He wasn't playable in Deadly Alliance and only appeared in the intro getting his neck snapped and soul eaten by Shang Tsung.

Although he did appear in Kano's ending, of all people, when Kano is killed by Quan Chi and a Liu Kang's soul from the soulnado shoots into his body.

Honestly, it was a huge missed opportunity to not do a story about Kano possessed by Liu Kang. Like, just imagine him trying to convince Sonya that he's actually Liu Kang and not just Kano trying to mess with her.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

On one hand, I really like Cassie Cage and Cool Dad Johnny Cage, so it's a bummer to see that stuff go. On the other hand, I do love me some cocky young Johnny, and I've really liked the characterization we've seen so far from the character intros and story clips. And if he does end up paired with another girl in this timeline, that could be a fun story to explore, too. Hopefully, they find a way to work Cassie back in too eventually.

Can't believe Ronda Rousey was so bad that she got Sonya kicked off the main roster.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's almost as if everybody involved wanted to disown the new movie or something. There was no tie-in marketing for it in MK11 either, was there?

They were too busy doing tie-ins with the original MK movie.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

We've had what, two MK games about a fighting tournament?

Yeah, but the whole movie was about gathering fighters for the tournament, and then it ended before it started.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah, I forgot that they felt like they had to explain all their powers by saying they all come from the same source and only those chosen for the tournament get them(including Jax' robot arms?????). I don't need you to explain to me why Sub-Zero is a magic ice assassin movie!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cole Young really feels like someone at some point going "well, we need an AMERICAN to be the main character" and they didn't want it to be Sonya, Jax, or Johnny for whatever reason. Well, the reason for not using the first two is probably sexism and racism, but no idea why they couldn't have made Johnny the main character. I guess they were really committed to the Scorpion relation plot point, too.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Meat is just a dude made of meat.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

:lmao: that Reiko is going to be the big final reveal trailer. Maybe he'll just be shown alongside Shang Tsung.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Bumper Stickup posted:

Pot calling the kettle black I know but who was asking for Nitara? Feel like someone at NRS/WB is trying to push her what with her being in the movie and now gets a whole reveal trailer dedicated to her.

They're pulling a lot from the 3D era in this game and Nitara was one of the characters from that era that people look back on and think "hey, she was alright".

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, they put Guile in Mortal Kombat!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sindel is a villain?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Necalli is the Kotal Khan of Street Fighter.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

sonya voice actress was so bad she got booted out of the next game.

honestly kind of relieved jax/jacqi/sonya/cassie aren't in this one as the image of characters doing fatalities do their kids just seemed like a bridge too far in the gore department. Granted we're getting Takeda anyway so ah well.

I mean, Sindel, Kitana, and Mileena are in this game too.

The invasion Mode ending is also up on Youtube and :lmao: that the only timeline Liu Kang could find that could make old Hanzo happy was the one where his wife became Scorpion instead.

Honestly hope they make Harumi a playable character at some point. She comes up here and also in Kuai Liang and Smoke's arcane endings.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 14, 2023

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mover posted:

Funniest part of story mode:

Quan Chi starts out as a fairly dark skinned person of color but then he gets jumpscared by a spooky ghost and goes “aaah” and turns white as a sheet but then he just, um, stays that way forever

I also liked the part where they try to sneak Quan Chi's unconscious body through a parade, and when he starts to wake up, Johnny and Kung Lao just kind of shrug and start beating his rear end in the middle of the street. Quan Chi has a pretty rough time in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The final chapter is wild. I really love that you get to choose your fighter