Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Wanderer posted:

At this point, it seems like the most reliable leaks are coming from "r0000r." From what's been said so far, the characters that haven't yet been revealed are Reptile, Sindel, Tanya, Reiko, Li Mei, Nitara, Havik, Ashrah, Baraka, Geras, and a new version of Shao who's a general in Outworld's forces, with Takeda, Quan Chi, and Ermac as DLC.
Lmao at Li Mei probably being retooled for a third fuckin time. But Havik and Ashrah might be dope. Wonder if Havik still has his weird condition where he must break his body to stay anchored to his physical form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I figure it's a 50-50 shot that, if she does return, Li Mei ends up throwing in with the ultimate villain, then gets chumped in a cutscene. That seems to be her thing.

Guess someone would be right in saying that Raiden taught Liu Kang how to gently caress up.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Gavok posted:

I want the ending of MK1 to be an alternate take of MK9 where things go to poo poo and Liu Kang realizes he completely hosed up as Earth's protector god. The difference being that when Shao Kahn's death justifies everything, it's because Shao Kahn pulls off a heroic sacrifice against the true threat.

What if instead, Raiden realizes he might have hosed up in making Liu Kang a god and he goes back to the events of the first game just to blatantly kill Shang Tsung and Goro on the spot.

But since it's MK, that in turn causes a whole other issue to come up somehow. Maybe Shao Kahn just invades Earth outright and kicks aside any notion of tournaments in favor of simply sending it.

Basically:

Crowetron posted:

I'm kind of hoping that whatever happens is still somehow Raiden's fault.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I hope Goro somehow has even more arms in this timeline.

Liu Kang probably would be like "Goro was a formidable opponent... but still killable. I shall fix that."

And now we got fuckin' eight arms Goro, with like eight titties or something.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

pretty soft girl posted:

Iirc the big thing with DA (and maybe Deception?) is that a lot of good poking normals and strings can be cancelled into backdash to make them safe

I think there's also sidestep wave dashing in certain stances, I distinctly remember Shang Tsung being able to move laterally really quickly

You're also very correct in your suspicion, those games were embarassing efforts even when they were new compared to the 3D Game golden age that brought Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 5, VF4, and DOAwhatever. They're pretty much only saved by having decent side content, even weirdos who are hardcore evangelists for the 3D era never seem to talk about the gameplay

If it weren't for the MK brand those games would be sitting in the dustbin of history with Tao Feng and Kakuto Chojin

I think in my case, it's more "if I had to pick between the three 3D Kombats, I'd go Deception".

But yeah, I think there was some absolutely hosed tech in that time frame from what I hear. I haven't looked for a fuckload of health Kombos for them though... but I imagine having two styles and a weapon stance to swap quickly between wasn't a good idea.

Very valid to assume that the MK Brand kept it afloat long enough to get DC on the horn... and then longer still to actually make a solid game. I'd say the main benefits are like "side content was goated (maybe staple Motor Kombat to Hsu Hao's corpse as he goes through a wood chipper ad infinitum), lore had SOME effort between 4 and DA".

But yeah, Soul Calibur also existed and that let you make whoever the gently caress you wanted and it looked fun with whoever the gently caress you wanted.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1681356039764033544?s=20

for those of you who don't know, triplemania is the largest show of mexico's 2nd biggest wrestling promotion, AAA

Wonder which performer's gonna promote it, I think there are a few that'd fit a sorta-MK aesthetic.

... I forget if Super Porky's still active.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

i'd guess pentagon jr

super porky is dead

Oh. :(

But Pentagon Jr is a very solid choice for the promotion.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

:argh: about half of those wrestlers woulda made sick Kameos dammit

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I ran to this thread as soon as someone elsewhere was yelling about fuckin' Khameleon being back.

Are they?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Orv posted:

People are speculating she’s back cause one of the Umgadi kinda has wispy, translucent hair but also that one is in a yellow outfit so it feels pretty reach-y.

Looked almost like a statue behind Tanya, if it weren't for the yellow outfit... so maybe as DLC.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

This... works, what the gently caress.

Also Johnny Cage is a grandma's boy.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

EorayMel posted:

What if there are 3 dlc packs and the third one has all the remaining 3d era characters

I'm already konspiring to main Peacemaker, don't make me think of maining Kobra god dammit.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Rhonne posted:

What's with Johnny's armor and sword in the trailer?

Is he just trying to look cool for the big adventure?

Either that or they're doing something pretty dumb with Kenshi.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Kenshi is right there next to him in that shot. You can see his hand on Johnny's shoulder.

Oh. Right. Maybe a disguise for Johnny Cage since in some other shots he's wearing other weird armor. I dunno.

Guess we'll see September 19th.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Sockser posted:

Havik doesn't look hosed up enough
I hope his alt costume is way more hosed up

Well one, his alt is probably gonna be his 3D era appearance. And two, he's absolutely gonna look more hosed up in a fight.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Reptile looks dope.

Ashrah needs the hat. Sorry, the only thing I remember about her is the hat, so it doesn't matter if you're trying to make her a real character or something she's gotta wear the hat.

She does wear the hat tho.

It's just in the Johnny Cage movie.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I legitimately thought she was Meat when I watched the trailer lol

Truth be told I thought Havik was gonna be a stand user what with how he hunched over in the trailer as Sareena does her stuff.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Goro's biggest mistake was breaking Johnny Cage's sunglasses.

(Also I feel like arcade endings and such should also be viable choices for Biggest Fuckup.)

Would Raiden's original ending be a Fuckup or a Good Idea? Because on one end, gods destroying the world. But on the other end, gods destroying the world.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

John Romero posted:

make the fuckin mortal kombat yakuza Ed

Only if we get Smoke Missions. And only if Smoke actually says the name when giving you them. :colbert:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I saw a video the other day of some of the intro dialogue, and one of Johnny Cage's intros mentions that his mom is a cop. Was that a thing before? Because now I have this wild idea that this Johnny is actually Johnny Cage Jr. and the old Johnny and Sonya are his parents, and that's why Sonya isn't in this game. Am I crazy?

To be fair, Liu Kang might have pulled a funny and made Johnny and Stryker bros or cousins at least.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Rhonne posted:

He's also a fusion of his evil undead self and his living, still heroic self from the past, and also some of Raiden is in there too, I guess?

Probably. Just blame Raiden Liu Kang for anything confusing.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Why yes Liu Kang invented the Plot Fist.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

maruhkati posted:

This is kind of the fundamental problem with how Aftermath ended. With a mighty god capable of rewriting time on the side of good, it's impossible for evil to be much of a threat unless said god is a colossally stupid fuckup.

Said god learned from Raiden. I think we'll be fine.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Do you think Cole Young got Boon to re-think Hsu Hao

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Unbound posted:

Annihilation was better imo. But only because as soon as nightwolf shows up, the whole movie goes off the rails. Fun to watch and make fun of.

New mk movie was just about some dude with literal plot armor for a super power.

Klearly the new movie needed animalities as a plot device :colbert:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Areola Grande posted:

kameo roster

Kung Lao here looks like he's got a cowboy hat on.

That, or I should yell at the Switch version for looking weird.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Crowetron posted:

Well, someone must have invited her in!

It was clearly Liu Kang's* Fault.

*Shang Tsung but transformed into Liu Kang

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

I wonder if it will be another 3d wierdo from DA or Deception

I'm really glad MK didn't throw out all of the 3d characters/ ideas, because people like Ashrah, Li Mei, Having, Nitara had potential, as well as their Realms, it was just bathed in mediocrity, and some of the worst rosters in MK history

...and then there are characters like Kira and Kobra :ohno:

Kira just needs to not be Female Kano (because we got him back now). And Kobra just needs his heart ripped the gently caress out, god he was loving stupid.

Any Kobra apologists wanna convince me otherwise?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Gavok posted:

I believe there's plenty of potential in the idea of making Kobra and Kira the scummy, evil opposites of Johnny and Sonya. Their endings in Armageddon are a lot of fun because they're both based on the idea that they care for each other, but will absolutely stab each other in the back at the first opportunity.

Go full hog on the Ken Masters comparison by having Kobra get huge into bitcoin and dressing like a hobo.

I'm not gonna lie, it'd be pretty funny for people to go "wait Kobra planted a bomb at the shaolin tournament? THAT Kobra?!". So yeah, full send to that idea.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Could the last character potentially be a Kreate-A-Kharacter slot?

That would imply that either there is Kreate-A-Fatality or the kreated kharakters don't get fatals or brutalities.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Gavok posted:

They played him up as a big mystery and in the arcade/N64 endings, he just ran through a portal and that was it. The PS and DC endings showed him putting on Kahn's mask, which was supposed to insinuate that he was secretly Shao Kahn all along. The Game Boy Color ending was more blatant about it. The problem was that he had zero similarities to Kahn at all, so the twist felt off.

Later, they just said that Reiko was a separate character who enjoyed sneaking into Kahn's throne room and putting on the mask when he wasn't around.

Reiko: The original kosplayer of Mortal Kombat

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I am just saying that if I am a horrifying specter of Vengeance And Anger and I discover that someone erased my children from existence I would be a bit miffed.

You ever think that maybe Liu Kang did this just to make sure Hanzo stays a spirit of vengeance? But instead of the Lin Kuei, Hanzo now hunts the Shaolin monks.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Wanderer posted:

It's particularly strange in MK1, since most of the characters are at least friendly acquaintances with one another. They're trying to do the same thing as Street Fighter where they're just meeting up for friendly sparring or training matches, but in a game where most of the cast's basic throw is a lethal attack.

Granted, this is a problem that most fighting games deal with, but MK's more realistic graphics make it more obvious. Soul Calibur in particular is arguably worse, but doesn't have blood or fatalities, so you don't notice as readily.

Homies let other homies do fatalities on them. :colbert:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I know everybody wants to talk about the shiny new game, but can we just be honest for a moment? A lot of people are having a really hard time right now, and the world can be a scary place. But if you're feeling the same way, I want you to remember something important: If your life ever seems directionless, meaningless, or lacking purpose, it's probably because you were once a powerful sorcerer and some petty fire god cheated you to win. Death to all of them.

I can't believe the Deadly Alliance was a good idea

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

DeadButDelicious posted:

Basically if you gender-swap Johnny Cage (Jenny Cage?) he'd be set.

They had a kharakter that was somewhat like that oddly enough. Her name was Cassie Cage and oh whoops she and the other Kombat Kids got jabroni'd lmao

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Johnny was too much of a wife guy and never wanted to hang out.

Liu Kang made sure he would never have this problem again

I mean, I guess he sure did if this is anything to go by (spoilerinos maybe, but it's just menu stuff): Also he confirms that Mustard AND Ketchup are canon. :colbert:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Twibbit posted:

So Shujinko can be used to steal sento stance.

https://twitter.com/zephyire/status/1703895166015115474

Because of loving course he would :v:

At least they still remember Deception sorta

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It was 100% to appeal to the terrible part of the fandom, it's like the most weirdly mean-spirited thing to happen in the game. It's just that since it is MK they can have their cake and eat it too by going 'we know these guys suck but if you don't think they suck here they are playable for money!" I mean hell this entire game is "Hey, we know (x) sucks, but we're going to use them anyway and maybe you'll like them this time!"

I'll believe this when they try to sell us Kobra or Hsu Hao in a future Kombat Pack. Madam Bo probably was a decent step, even though I thought people liked regular Bo Rai Cho in MKX.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

They're going to give us Darrius and you know it.

But that means they're gonna give us his Pikasso fatality in 4K. I think we'd all be here for that, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Unbound posted:

Its backwards to me that Motaro cost 50HP when he was a sub-boss. But also that teleport is really fun.

I do wonder how much Shujinko costs, since he just straight jacks moves and does em slightly differently (if not better).