Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Sure looks like Sindel is the main villain if she's literally going Evil Mode for her X-Ray and Fatality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PostNouveau posted:

*creates a perfect new timeline*

*keeps in the fight to the death for the fate of the realms tournament*

I'm guessing it's a bit friendlier than old timeline Mortal Kombat but things go Horribly Wrong.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr. Neutron posted:

He is also not being voiced by Richard Epcar any more which is a bummer (even though all the other character's VAs seem to be returning) and if he is supposed to be a regular dude now, sup with his godlike lightning powers?

probably recasted so they could have an actual asian person playing him, the same reason steve blum isn't sub-zero anymore

looking it up it's this guy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
But the status quo isn't being reset. It's another completely different status quo.

like if this was all about trans media synergy we wouldn't have alive scorpion who is a totally different dude, fire god liu kang, humble monk raiden, wizard rain, princess mileena, a bunch of obscure nobodies revived as major characters, etc

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Wanderer posted:

I'm talking about MK11 suddenly abandoning everything to do a time-travel plot, not the MK1 reboot.

But MK11 still has Liu and Kitana as a couple, Past Scorpion being redeemed after present Scorpion's death, Cassie and Jacqui, Liu becoming a god, dead modern Sonya in like the first fifteen minutes. and ends with the timeline being exploded. I don't think that reads as "corporate vetoed them doing new things".

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 31, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
surely there's a tournament in the sequel

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

exquisite tea posted:

Reptile is a classic FG example of having an outsized fanbase despite never being especially popular at any point in the series. I'm surprised that Kung-Jin is somehow the 12th most popular pick.

the baiken of mortal kombat

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
jesus christ my man is looking like a 1942 US army recruitment poster

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

man nurse posted:

So now that the game is out in the wild, is there any word on like, what the content is? Is there a krypt still? Any customization to unlock? Towers of Time type stuff?

All I’ve seen or heard about is the story mode and invasion mode. What are the hooks to keep you playing besides just online vs this time around

Invasion is the krypt, the customization unlocks, and the towers of time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Invasion is basically the Towers but on a map you can explore.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This is easily the coolest version of Shang Tsung

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
...but Street Fighter also just launched with a big single player story mode.

Like, story modes move copies. They're not going to stop.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If you don't like them then why did you watch the story mode

Is this a "surely this time putting my finger in the socket won't shock me" thing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lammasu posted:

The opponents in the final chapter are randomly generated. They really want you playing this multiple times.

they aren't totally random, there's just a big pool the game pulls from.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

porfiria posted:

I came up with a theory in my brain that this was originally Injustice 3, but then they got worried about the Discovery acquisition and the rights to the IP, so pivoted relatively late in development. This is why all the character designs are very basic and the DLC is all superheroes. Is there anything to this?

No. Why would that have anything to do with the character designs being basic?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The basic pared-down character designs are an artistic choice, just like the much brighter color palette, the techno soundtrack that's kind of reminiscent of classic MK1-3, and making Outworld into Magical East/Southeast Asia Pastiche instead of whatever the gently caress it was before. Things you do when you're looking for a new angle on an old property.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 17, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I just saw Darrius' fatality and it's not even his old fatality, ie the one memorable thing he ever did. Why is he in this game

Havik needed a buddy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

The designs are good, actually.

They are! Basic doesn't mean bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A lot of the pre-fight dialogues also imply Ashrah and Reptile kind of have a thing going on

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PostNouveau posted:

Reptile got over the death of his wife and kids really fast

Eh it's not clear how long of a period of time all the endings/pre-fight lines are covering considering there's also a bunch about Scorpion and Harumi getting married

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Lmao. What was lui kang smoking at the dawn of his time onaga eh, gently caress it, godzilla mode

Also i thought shao was dead? Didnt shang take his soul in story?

That was the Shao from Titan Shang Tsung's timeline. Regular Shao gets arrested off-screen and breaks out of prison in his arcade ending.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You know it's weird that given the four foundational pillars of Mortal Kombat's inspiration are martial arts movies, 80's action, gorey horror movies, and comic books that we've never gotten any guest characters from the first one unless you want to count the Ip Man-ficiation of Kung Lao (which I don't despite it being super cool)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
let's be real it's also the coolest quan chi has ever looked

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Regrettable posted:

I assume the helmets will probably be the different pieces of cosmetic gear that you can change.

Probably not because they all look the same since there's a joke about losing track of which one does what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Regrettable posted:

Going back a few days but I'm looking through the files right now and the helmets are his changeable cosmetic gear.

well gently caress me then!