Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Good MKs: OG 1 (for its time), 2, 9. Will this be the Fourth Good Mortal Kombat?

It's a current-era WB game, so it will not be good. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Shinji2015 posted:

You say that, but there are people that are still upset that version of Sonya isn't still around.

I'm only upset because we ended up with Rhonda Rousey as Sonya and I, too, would like to go back in time.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like how they announce the 6 DLC characters you can pay extra money for, before fully announcing the base game roster. It really is a case of characters being developed and deliberately withheld from the actual game so they can charge extra for them, at this point. Which isn't anything new, I know, but I'm just so loving tired of these scummy practices.

I think Darrius is the first Kameo character shown not from the first three games, so I guess that opens the door for everyone now and throws my theory out that the Kameos were all from the original trilogy, and now I'm wondering if every character from the entire Armageddon Timeline will be available. If Darrius is in there, everything's on the table.

That could be Khameleon in the trailer too. I can't think of any other characters that would fit who that is supposed to be, unless it's just a cutscene rando and not actually anyone important, but you don't just make someone look like an MK ninja unless they ARE an MK ninja, dammit.

Also Rain totally infected Mileena. He's just casually drinking next to her while she's getting sick.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

I really hope that they get Anthony Starr in to do voicework for Homelander, though I'm not expecting it.

I'd be surprised if they didn't get him, John Cena, and JK Simmons to voice their characters. If you're worried about the strikes, this would've all been recorded months ago.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Re: the post on the last page about scummy practices, yeah I wish Ed, being one of the OGs of the industry would have bucked that trend, but instead embraces and pioneers the roguery of DLC. Announcing DLC characters before the game or even the base roster is even released is a huge slap in the face

Wanderer posted:

Boon may not have had a choice.

MK1 is a WB Games joint, so Boon reports (probably not directly) to David Zaslav. Even after the Warner Bros. Discovery spinoff, the company was still $45 billion in debt as of March 31.

As such, it's safe to expect that anything from WB Games for the foreseeable future will have a bunch of microtransaction-based, penny-pinching bullshit baked into it. It's not that anyone who actually makes these games isn't aware that moves like this are unpopular with consumers; it's that they're owned by a conglomerate that's desperate to make whatever extra money it can.

It's really why I don't have any intention of buying the game. I'll still be looking at what comes out and taking an interest is a spectator, but I just don't want to give my money to this kinda thing anymore. MK11 felt like a live service game that had all of its microtransactions removed at the last minute because it was at a time when things were really coming down hard on the exploitative practices of it all, but the boring grind was already baked into the game. Now everyone's forgotten or given up again, and WB is desperate right now, so I expect every underhanded practice will probably be in full effect. Can't wait for MK NFTs and Kryptocurrency.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Buschmaki posted:

Who gives a krap about that stuff . . .

People do. Maybe not you, and that's absolutely great that you are not as susceptible to the predatory practices of microtransactions and things like that, but we gotta acknowledge that these things are done because they are effective on those that are vulnerable to these practices.

In the context of MK11, like I said, it felt like there was a structure in place to sell people koins or whatever it was to "skip the grind," but then it was removed at the last minute. I can't prove it, but I do know I gave up on the weekly challenges and doing X amount of fatalities with each character and poo poo like that and never fully unlocked everything because it was just so boring and repetitive to me.

There was similar stuff in MK10, and if I remember right, that actually DID have microtransactions for the in-game currency, right? These games also had additional costume packs and fatalities and stuff that weren't included in the Kombat Pass stuff either. So I'm just saying to be prepared for all kinds of poo poo like this to be loaded into this game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

To be clear I don’t particularly disagree with you that they are lovely practices but I’m curious if you’d prefer to go back to owning five copies of each fighting game, which would absolutely be $70 a pop nowadays.

Like for console exclusives? I didn't realize it was a significant issue in fighting games because I'm not big on fighting games overall, but I think if a version of a game has a platform exclusive, the other versions should cost less since you're getting less content. I thought it was funny how Kratos wasn't allowed in tournaments because it wasn't fair to XBox people who didn't know how to play against him though.

I'm just an old man disillusioned with the games industry. I still like Mortal Kombat and I'm interested to see what they do with the actual meat of this game, so I'm not intending to just jump in here and poo poo on everything.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I liked Havik as more of a completely hosed up lich, so I also don't vibe with the more human look. Making Ashrah more demonic in appearance makes sense, but yeah, give her the hat and veil back dangit.

Also I noticed that in Ashrah's reveal, they're fighting in a more tranquil-looking Living Forest, but when they reveal Havik, they're fighting in what looks like an alternate version of Living Forest, where everything's way more hosed up. I wonder if we're gonna be getting alternate versions of other stages, or maybe stages that phase back and forth between realities.

codo27 posted:

Who is everyone besides reptile?

Not really a fair evaluation seeing I watched it on my phone but the sfx seem very bad.

Ashrah and Havik are from MK Deception. Ashrah's a demon who began earning salvation by killing other demons. Havik has popped up since, in some different endings in the last game or two. He's a cleric from Chaosrealm who just wants to spread disorder across the universe.

The person fighting alongside him is Sareena, who first showed up in MK Mythologies. She was a member of Shinnok's Brotherhood of Shadow who switched sides to help Sub-Zero defeat Shinnok, and she was killed for it. She's popped up on occasion as "Oh right, this person's kind of a character) in things like a lovely GBA port of an MK game, MK Armageddon, and in a cutscene in MKX or MK11, I can't remember.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 7, 2023

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like the low grab/chomp that Reptile does, with the alligator roll animation.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

The only characters who aren't gently caress ups are the ones who take a look at that hourglass and go "nahhhhhhhhh".

Or dump it in the infinity ocean like Erron Black

I'm gonna miss Erron Black. He woulda ruled in the new timeline.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just saw someone refer to Johnny Cage as Kenshi's seeing-eye himbo and now I'm kinda excited for this game?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you think about it, Liu Kang is just kinda remaking people he barely knows based on memories and assumptions. He spent a couple weeks with these people before dying and becoming a zombie lord, and that probably hosed his brain up real good too.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

There's also Johnny's self-proclaimed brother Jimmy Cage, shown only in Federation of Martial Arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZ_pfez9fw

Might I remind you that this was an official Mortal Kombat thing.

You unlocked a memory, and I wish you hadn't.

FoMA was astonishingly bad, even by 2000 standards.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just noticed that there's a Premium Edition of the game and that it comes with 5 more Kameos. I wonder how those are balanced.

Kinda legit psyched to see Shujinko as the Ancient Master character they envisioned him as but failed to realize so long ago. In-story, they could slot him in Bo Rai Cho's place, but I have no idea if Kameos will actually be involved in any story stuff at all.

Edit: I always look at the characters in Mortal Kombat and think about Injustice, and what it would be like if NRS was able to create a Marvel fighting game. So many characters in MK could be swapped out for Marvel ones pretty easily.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 22, 2023

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

EorayMel posted:

The final kameo released alongside the final DLC playable character is Ed Boone himself

If Zebron was a Kameo I would cave and pre-order this game right now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Liu Kang just didn't know that Edenia and Outworld were two different realms, once. Just like he didn't know Syzoth's race were originally from Earth.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

The degree to which they hammered the reset button for MK11 right out of the gate makes me think it was some corporate overlord decision.

I think it's more likely that they wrote themselves into a situation they later changed their minds on, either because they didn't know what to actually do with what they set up, or they came up with this other plot they liked better.

I'm trying to remember anything I actually liked about MK11's story, and I've got nothing. Two Johnny Cages was fun, I guess, but that's about it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Megan Fox is leaps and bounds above Ronda Rousey when it comes to talent, but she still sticks out compared to the rest of the cast of actual voice actors. Had I not known it was her, I'd be like "Why does Nitara sound so weird?"

Also I think she would have been a much better D'Vorah.

Edit: Wait, are they actually referencing MK Conquest of all things with Kung Lao in this trailer? Holy poo poo.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 7, 2023

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

I thought it was Jennifer's Body.

OK, that would make more sense. But his girlfriend's name WAS Jen in MKC, wasn't it?

Siro,Taja, and Vorpax DLC when, NetherRealm?

KungFu Grip posted:

is there a missing dlc kameo fighter with the grey slot?

It seems the five characters that are shown as "locked" would be the 5 characters you get for buying the Super Ultra Special Deluxe version, so that slot could be an unlock or a placeholder for future DLC, or just Random. It's also there on the main roster selection screen.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The premium edition just gets you the DLC, and Shang Tsung is the preorder bonus for anyone.

There's just locked characters you get from the story mode, and 1 fighter and 1 kameo that are a secret unlock, it seems

It says right at the end of every video they've put out that the Premium Edition includes 5 Kameo characters.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yeah that’s the first DLC pack

OK, I went and looked at the website to see how they break it down. In the videos, it lists the extras as "Kombat Pack" and "5 New Kameo Characters" which makes it seem like they're separate from the DLC. Looking at the website, it says "6 New Playable Characters" instead of "Kombat Pack" so it's slightly more clear there.

(This is also how I learned that they want $110 for the loving thing holy poo poo.)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Edited this whole post because I thought I knew a thing and I appear to be very wrong and now I'm confused.

Gavok posted:

Here's a fun article I wrote: 15 Things You Never Knew About Mortal Kombat

Well, some things should be known. I did talk about the Eric Roberts/Bo' Rai Cho thing here a few days ago.

So you brought up the Kombat Kodes showing up in media, and I was always lead to believe that the campaign for the arcade release included clues to unlocking Smoke.

For example, here's an ad;

You're shown 5 symbols, and a number. Each Kombat Kode was 6 symbols long, so if this is hinting at a Kombat Kode, then one symbol is missing. My understanding had always been that you discover the missing symbol, and the number means that missing symbol went into that slot for the Ultimate Kombat Kode to unlock Smoke.

I was coming in all smug to talk about this and how cool it was... only to actually look poo poo up, and none of what I thought was true actually adds up. In this ad, for example, there's no code that corresponds with these symbols. Have I been lied to this whole time?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 10, 2023

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

A lot of the game is apparently only going to arrive with the big day-one patch, which is in keeping with past games.

I love how we don't actually own video games anymore when we buy them.

Anyway I hope the last character is Drahmin.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Lol megan fox’s line delivery is terrible haha.

Holy gently caress you're not kidding. Everyone else is a voice actor and doing a character voice, and she's just... Megan Fox. I thought it would at least be better than Ronda Rousey, but it's just as bad. Maybe even worse, since Megan Fox can act but is simply choosing not to.

Has there ever been stunt casting in a game that was actually good?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Been watching Story Mode. I have questions.

So... Liu Kang decided that he would make Quan Chi and Shang Tsung's lives miserable to prevent them from causing trouble... but then just decided Shao Khan could stay a barbaric warmonger? Didn't think that one through eh, Liu Kang?

Also Liu Kang created them for the purpose of making them suffer for things other versions of them had done. That's really petty and cruel. He coulda just given them some decent lives they'd be content with instead or something.

Shang Tsung and Quan Chi shoulda been a couple of gay dads raising their own Kombat Kid. Then when "Kronika" shows up and is like "Hey I will give you all the power you could desire" they'd just be like "Nah we're good. We're taking Shao to Gymboree now, bye."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Story Mode is redeemed by Ninja Mime Johnny's silent war cry.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I liked Shinnok in MKX and Noob in MK11. What kinda playstyle are those characters considered, and what would be closest to that style in this game?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I datamined the Nokia N-Gage version of MK1 and the guest DLC characters for KP2 will be Gollum, Audrey II, and Dark Betty from Riverdale.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not that we really got to see much, but he seems like he'll play similar to Jax. Got heavy brawler/grappler vibes from what we saw.

Was more excited to see Tremor though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Dads everywhere dismayed that there's a guest character that wasn't in a film released when they were 10

We were cockteased with Ash, and I will never get over it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Homelander will be a buff character that drinks bottles of breast milk to power up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/81daniel18/status/1729555104519311758

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Was way more excited to see Janet Cage than anything Peacemaker was doing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
A lot of the sentiments being shared are pretty much how I was with the last MK game. I enjoyed it well enough, but not enough to have warranted pre-ordering the special edition with the Kombat Pack and stuff. I never played beyond the first released DLC character, so it was a waste to have spent money for all of the rest.

It just didn't hold my interest, and I always held onto the suspicion that the game was originally meant to be heavily monetized, but they scrapped a lot of that after backlash for other games at the time doing similar things. It always kinda felt grindy to me to unlock things, and you could easily slot some Premium Currency in there that was hastily taken out last-minute. Basically, what I envisioned was once the plan for MK11, you are now seeing realized in MK1.

Which really sucks, because I used to be such a huge nerd for the MK series. I fell off with Armageddon and MK vs DC because... well, look at them, but then my interest was drawn back in with MK9 and 10. I was really hoping the series was seeing a cool new renaissance, and maybe it did for a brief moment. But now it just seems like it's fallen victim to the same predatory practices that you see from all these major gaming companies and popular titles nowadays. Sucks.

At least we got some fun Johnny Cage stuff.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

otherwise they're just selling skins and extra DLC characters like every other fighting game, aren't they?

Just because it's normalized, doesn't mean it's OK.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
loving lol, I'm seeing people Having A Normal One over Janet Cage, saying it's pushing a trans agenda and it's a dev self-insert and "nobody asked for this."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

thankfully we have our reporters in the field to give us all of the latest updates on them

It's the only interesting thing going on with this game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love seeing these Deadly Alliance/Deception characters because they're still as dumb as ever.

I really hope Takeda comes packaged with Kira or Kobra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Genuinely forgot they hadn't released Homelander yet.