Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Nice. You just roll into your local UPS store and drop off a (properly packaged) case of beer?

pretty much- they may ask you what's in there, I've always threaded the needle(and assuaged my rule-following, lapsed Catholic conscience) by saying "home-brewing equipment"

Packaging can definitely be tricky, I think three years ago I had to re-ship a box after a leak in transit. Happily there are a lot of resources on how best to do it, including the institutional memory of this league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Nice. You just roll into your local UPS store and drop off a (properly packaged) case of beer?

Basically yeah. You'll want to not only wrap up individual bottles in bubble wrap but also stick them in Ziploc bags to protect against leaks. I found UPS is usually the cheapest option and I started buying labels through Pirateship last year, which brings it down a bit more. Wine shipping boxes are great if you can get your hands on one. Some people (in this league I think) have suggested checking out your local bottle shop if they have any they're getting rid of, but I've never been able to reliably get them and have just rolled with whatever packaging I have around.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3443315

i highly recommend bundling everything up inside a garbage bag, sealing it, and then placing that inside the box. and, yeah, never say that it's beer; say it's food or something

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Gaston Bachelard posted:

Does the league use a chat channel for draft night/in-season fun laughs good times trash talk or pretty much stick to the thread?

Former league member/still current SA goon Drunknerds used to put together a draft night Discord but bowed out last year. I'm personally fine with just typing into the draft client but I'll pop in if anyone wants to make a chat room.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

funkybottoms posted:

i highly recommend bundling everything up inside a garbage bag, sealing it, and then placing that inside the box. and, yeah, never say that it's beer; say it's food or something

I list the contents as "trophies." Technically true!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

funkybottoms posted:

Super helpful, thanks.

Is there anything against shipping cans? Seems like it would be easier/safer, and most places around here use the 16oz cans for most beers.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Super helpful, thanks.

Is there anything against shipping cans? Seems like it would be easier/safer, and most places around here use the 16oz cans for most beers.

Nope. Cans are totally fine and even sensible for that reason.

It feels like 16 oz cans are the way everything is going these days. I used to prefer it that way but now I'm old and falling apart and prefer 12 oz cans and bottles because it takes me forever to finish a full pint.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
32 oz crowlers (big cans) are ideal for beer shipping. 16 and 12 oz are also good.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

yeah, cans are ideal for shipping, but they weren't nearly as common when that post was made. if you go the all-can route, there are specific shippers for that

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
Just one week til draft day!

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

My liver is ready

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Hi, this is a really need way to run a "money" league. I'm curious how y'all handle the shipping process though, in terms of any state-specific laws. I assume that as a Canadian I'd be ineligible to participate in this league if a spot were available, yea?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

we lie and, yes, international shipping of alcohol is just way too risky

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I say that I am shipping "olive oil", helps explain the weight and any potential sloshing or clanking that might be heard. No issues so far.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I've only ever shipped glassware. Or occasionally a box marked "kitchen."

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

"Home brewing equipment"

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Fantasy football prize.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

I list the contents as "trophies." Technically true!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Haha awesome, thanks for the info. Have a fun draft & season!

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

I've shipped beer for about 14 years now and never once had anyone ask what it was.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

:siren: Less than 48 hours to draft time! :siren:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Oh no, could the Goon Beer League draft really be in about 2 and a half hours, at 8:00 EST tonight!?

:eek:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

Oh no, could the Goon Beer League draft really be in about 2 and a half hours, at 8:00 EST tonight!?

:eek:

I really hope so, otherwise I've started drinking at 5 o'clock on a Sunday for no reason.

Ok, so like, a normal Sunday evening, but still...

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

What's everybody got on tap for tonight?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Debating but I'm leaning towards the Bourbon County Cola stout that's been lurking in the fridge.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

I'll start with a Walter's Waffles stout from Norfolk VA.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Draft room is open. I won't be on for a bit but feel free to hop in early.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

Ready to roll

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

What's everybody got on tap for tonight?

Greylock Greater Good.

Though only a couple before switching to something else. That 12% ABV comes on strong.

(The something else will likely be an 87, from Night Shift.)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I'm flip flopping and going with a Treehouse Hazelnut Brownie that's been calling to me.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

Opening with a Hop River Dr. Hop

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

Opening with a Hop River Dr. Hop

thats a sweet lookin can

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm flip flopping and going with a Treehouse Hazelnut Brownie that's been calling to me.

Update: it was a pain in the rear end getting the wax seal off but it's delicious.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

Gaston Bachelard posted:

thats a sweet lookin can

Thanks, I started working out again

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

Five of my seven bench players are rookies. I might be a little too into dynasty these days

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

Trip report: I dipped into some beers I did not realize were 9.8%, got drunk, botched several entire positions and then fell asleep on my office floor with the light on. 10/10

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

Already in midseason form

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Gaston Bachelard posted:

Trip report: I dipped into some beers I did not realize were 9.8%, got drunk, botched several entire positions and then fell asleep on my office floor with the light on. 10/10

It'd tricky finding that exact balance between just buzzed enough to draft properly and having enough alcohol in your system that you spend 4x as much as you should have on Melvin Gordon.

I'm dead on my feet today not from alcohol but because I woke up at 5.

Also my typical draft experience is right on track: felt good immediately after, woke up this morning and looked at my roster and was struck with overwhelming dread. Freling ambivalent on Robinson but Gibson is a nothingburger and B-Rob has not gotten shot this offseason so hey, he's gotta improve right? I hate having so little depth but it seems pointless since 3/4s of the bench players I draft aren't on my roster by the end of the season anyway.

Need Jard Garf to go totally nuts or guess maybe stream QBs this year! :shepface:

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Need Jard Garf to go totally nuts or guess maybe stream QBs this year! :shepface:

With Minshew on the roster you should be loaded for bear!

(When does the wire open so we can cure our idiot teams?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Ayudo posted:

With Minshew on the roster you should be loaded for bear!

(When does the wire open so we can cure our idiot teams?)

Wire will be open tomorrow for all your dumpster diving needs.