Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Wow, is it really the 10th season of the ISO:FT Fantasy Football Beer League!? Most of you who read this already know the premise: this is a fantasy league in which instead of league dues, you commit to sending out a box of beer worth over $50.00 curated from your local craft beer scene. Boxes should include growlers, bombers, and cans of beer that are not available outside of your geographical region, and that people might want to try. Because of this, we generally ask that you have some experience shipping beer, although most of us have experience in that arena and are happy to help.

Last year Worthleast/Seven-round Mock Draught took home first place. Spacejung/Trappist Friermuth 88 came in 2nd place and due to shenanigans in the Bills/Bengals game Veritek83/Saison Barley and Wild Man of Yolo/Indianapolis Kolsch! were our two bronze medalists.

This year I'll be retaining the position of commissioner unless I'm handed huge sacks of money not to.

Here's some background:

- Last year's league settings, for reference:
https://fantasy.espn.com/football/league/settings?leagueId=1018860

- Your beer boxes are due out shortly after the league ends, with the target date being before February 4, 2023. We understand that life gets in the way but boxes should be out before the Super Bowl.

- Participants are required to post a Toxx. You are responsible for shipping your beer to your recipient or you will be banned.

- We've typically put any rules changes to a vote on the first page of the thread.

- This is the payout structure

Winner- 5 Boxes of Beer
2nd Place- 3 Boxes of Beer
3rd Place- 2 Boxes of Beer
Highest Single Game Point Total- 1 Box of Beer
Winner of the Loser's Bracket- 1 Box of Beer

-Spaces are grandfathered in for the people who participated last year:

Returning (?)

Coronaball
Wild Man of Yolo
YamataNoOrochi
Funkybottoms
Veritek83
Ayudo
B_Sketchy
Zam
Quiet Feet

Out for 2023

Yellow Dart
Spacejung
Alfalfa

Yellow Dart has informed me that he'll be bowing out due to a move overseas. Congrats and good luck! Spacejung has climbed the mountain and sounded like he needed a year off last I heard from him. Thanks for playing y'all and hope we'll see you in the future.

I will be updating this as need be. This has been a 12-team league and hopefully will stay that way, although I do believe the first year of the league ran with only 10. If you want back in please post here or send me a PM. Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year!

Once we have participants ironed out I'll set up a poll to determine what time the draft will be. We've been using an auction draft and if you've never participated, it's not as hard as it looks. It is a way more active experience than a snake draft and is tons more fun. I heartily encourage it in all leagues.

Edit: vote for draft date is up https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/ep2L13mb

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Veritek83 posted:

one of my favorite leagues every season

I, veritek83, :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name: Saison Barley (subject to change, if inspiration strikes)

Same :hfive:

I, Quiet Feet, :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name: Dallas Sucks

Gaston Bachelard posted:

If there are a couple openings, I'd love to throw my hat in the ring. My credentials are that I enjoy beer and fantasy football.

More than happy to :toxx: shipping a $50 box of beer to my destroyer.

There are! PM me with an email and I'll have you in in a bit.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Also, draft poll should be up by Wednesday. For now I'm on vacation and none of you'se is the boss of me. :colbert:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

i, funkybottoms, :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name: ice cold coorsdarelle (for now)

oh, new guys, it's also highly encouraged that you get trashed during the draft

All I'm gonna say is that the one year where I didn't drink was also the only year I didn't make the playoffs.

Anyone got any opinions on intermissions during the draft? Last year was the first time we tried it and I did two but now I'm thinking one was probably enough.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Thom and the Heads posted:

Can I get in on this or on a wait list? Thanks!!

Heh, just noticed you're actually on my wait list from last year.

Sure thing hit me up with an email address and I can get you in.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Okay, draft Doodle has been made. I've sharply limited the options this year because A: we've never voted for a slot earlier than 8:00 PM EST and B: Doodle now makes you sign up and pay if you want to have more than 20 options.

If you're new here, click the following link to vote for your draft date! Note that while I've listed the time as 8-11, this has never taken us an entire 3 hours.

https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/ep2L13mb

E: Jesus Christ I can't even edit my own votes anymore without a "Pro" account. That's some serious bullshit. :psyberger:

EE: Fixed first poll.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 13, 2023

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Veritek83 posted:

not sure if it'll be a problem to edit, but you've got 8AM-11AM here, as opposed to PM

Doh! Fixed it.

https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/ep2L13mb

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Veritek83 posted:

just checking in on where we stand re: scheduling the draft

If we don't include the yellow votes then right now it's a two-way tie between August 20th and 27th. Meant to send out an email yesterday to nudge everyone who hasn't voted but was out all day. Think I'll do that now.

E: it is done. We're at seven respondents.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 31, 2023

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Full transparency: Doodle counts every date I added to the vote as a date I personally voted for, I guess because it assumes the creator is automatically fine with each date. Which, yeah, not the case here so I voted under the initials "QF". Votes under the name Nick C will not be counted but this would be irrelevant anyway because adding one or subtracting one from every single option leaves us with the same result.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Alfalfa posted:

I’m unfortunately out this year and apologize for the late notice. :/

No prob. Hope we'll see you again some time. :cheers:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This sounds like the kind of league made for me. :cheers:

If you still have an opening, I'll join. I'm good at beer and bad at fantasy football.

My team name in other leagues has often been I Like Beer.

Heading out the door right now but I'll send you an invite this afternoon. Welcome!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I'm literally packing the car to go camping for the rest of the week, so if I don't respond soon it's because I'm in a tent on a mountainside. With beer.

Cool cool. Just hit me up with an email I can send the invite to. If you find time before you're out, please do vote on the draft date at https://doodle.com/meeting/organize/id/ep2L13mb.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Looks like with everybody but SouthShoreSamurai's votes in, August the 20th is the winner with 12 (technically 11) votes. Next highest date only has 9 so one more vote won't change things. Gonna officially set the date on ESPN.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Does anyone have experience shipping alcohol out of Massachusetts? It's technically illegal here, so haven't done it.

Fellow Masshole here. Been in the league for five years and never had any issues with it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Nice. You just roll into your local UPS store and drop off a (properly packaged) case of beer?

Basically yeah. You'll want to not only wrap up individual bottles in bubble wrap but also stick them in Ziploc bags to protect against leaks. I found UPS is usually the cheapest option and I started buying labels through Pirateship last year, which brings it down a bit more. Wine shipping boxes are great if you can get your hands on one. Some people (in this league I think) have suggested checking out your local bottle shop if they have any they're getting rid of, but I've never been able to reliably get them and have just rolled with whatever packaging I have around.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Gaston Bachelard posted:

Does the league use a chat channel for draft night/in-season fun laughs good times trash talk or pretty much stick to the thread?

Former league member/still current SA goon Drunknerds used to put together a draft night Discord but bowed out last year. I'm personally fine with just typing into the draft client but I'll pop in if anyone wants to make a chat room.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Super helpful, thanks.

Is there anything against shipping cans? Seems like it would be easier/safer, and most places around here use the 16oz cans for most beers.

Nope. Cans are totally fine and even sensible for that reason.

It feels like 16 oz cans are the way everything is going these days. I used to prefer it that way but now I'm old and falling apart and prefer 12 oz cans and bottles because it takes me forever to finish a full pint.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I've only ever shipped glassware. Or occasionally a box marked "kitchen."

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

:siren: Less than 48 hours to draft time! :siren:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Oh no, could the Goon Beer League draft really be in about 2 and a half hours, at 8:00 EST tonight!?

:eek:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Debating but I'm leaning towards the Bourbon County Cola stout that's been lurking in the fridge.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Draft room is open. I won't be on for a bit but feel free to hop in early.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I'm flip flopping and going with a Treehouse Hazelnut Brownie that's been calling to me.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm flip flopping and going with a Treehouse Hazelnut Brownie that's been calling to me.

Update: it was a pain in the rear end getting the wax seal off but it's delicious.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Gaston Bachelard posted:

Trip report: I dipped into some beers I did not realize were 9.8%, got drunk, botched several entire positions and then fell asleep on my office floor with the light on. 10/10

It'd tricky finding that exact balance between just buzzed enough to draft properly and having enough alcohol in your system that you spend 4x as much as you should have on Melvin Gordon.

I'm dead on my feet today not from alcohol but because I woke up at 5.

Also my typical draft experience is right on track: felt good immediately after, woke up this morning and looked at my roster and was struck with overwhelming dread. Freling ambivalent on Robinson but Gibson is a nothingburger and B-Rob has not gotten shot this offseason so hey, he's gotta improve right? I hate having so little depth but it seems pointless since 3/4s of the bench players I draft aren't on my roster by the end of the season anyway.

Need Jard Garf to go totally nuts or guess maybe stream QBs this year! :shepface:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Ayudo posted:

With Minshew on the roster you should be loaded for bear!

(When does the wire open so we can cure our idiot teams?)

Wire will be open tomorrow for all your dumpster diving needs.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Spacejung would have had at least a dozen insane trades thrown out there by now. I kinda miss that.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Spacejung would have had at least a dozen insane trades thrown out there by now. I kinda miss that.

This was not actually an invitation but I appreciate y'all.

gently caress, I just realized I can't be Dallas Sucks this year with Dallas Goedert on my roster!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Worthleast posted:

Post the insane offers.

They're not even all that bad. Just thought it was funny that I got two offers shortly after that last post.

Although a certain somebody did try to trade me a Cowboy. :mad:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

New team name is Gofftoberfest. I have photoshopped MS Painted Jared Goff's head onto a buxom cartoon German lady but I'm afraid the pic is to small to make it obvious. :(

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

coronaball posted:

Forgot that ESPN won't let you drop bench players if they have already played. Guess Toney will sit there and rot until Tuesday!

I'd drop Justyn Ross but he's still a mystery box compared to every other Chief who "played football" today.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Gaston Bachelard posted:

Wife is from western NY, so to celebrate the Bills first game tonight I tried my hand making the Buffalo classic "beef on weck." Since you can't easily go out and buy kummelweck rolls around here, these are an improvisation. Traditionally the sandwich is topped with horseradish sauce and jus, but we opted for just the latter. The beef itself came out super tasty, but my difficulty slicing it thin made for a hearty chew. Paired with a cold Labatt Blue, of course.

Enjoy the game!

Gooo Billz this whagon etc!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Gaston Bachelard posted:

My team stinks!

I think you'll bounce back a bit at some point. Would not have expected Chase and AJ Brown to have such lackluster starts.

I banked on a few guys here and its worked out so far? Of course my teams usually collapse like 5-6 weeks in, so I guess we'll see!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I'm not gonna win this week after getting Mostert bombed but I love that it's still this close with only 1/2 of MNF to go.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I normally wouldn't bother checking for a couple more weeks but seemed like a lot of players went off.

Pliny the Younghoe Koo is the current high score holder with 136.08 We had a few scores in the 130s last week, and the usual high score on the year is north of 150, and often higher than that, so admittedly that's probably not gonna hold.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

spacejung posted:

I may be gone but I am always offering you guys a handcuff RB for your WR2 in spirit.

Usually my WR2s were bad enough I had to consider it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Ale division is pretty fuckin' feisty.

Also, of course after I go and post the league high score it gets broken by two teams. Consolation Prize currently holds the crown with a 149.1 bomb delivered to Tyreek Chill Haze last week. Week 4 was all haves vs have nots. The smallest deficit in any match was still 25 points.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Gaston Bachelard posted:

What’s a Gofftoberfest without its namesake? :(

Yeah. :sigh:

He hasn't really done much to separate himself from that mid-range QB clump and the Lions have a bunch of road games and a bye in the next month. I think Love ends up a bottom-end starter in that 10-12 range by the end of the year, but I'm hoping he has more upside.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Consolation Prize and Mock Draught match shaping up like a kaiju battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Yeah. :sigh:

He hasn't really done much to separate himself from that mid-range QB clump and the Lions have a bunch of road games and a bye in the next month. I think Love ends up a bottom-end starter in that 10-12 range by the end of the year, but I'm hoping he has more upside.

I hate to triple post but...

God dammit.