Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Throw Velma on that trash pile too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSuajHpF9Eo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm amused at the idea that dealing heroin in hell is totally honest, upstanding work because it's basically about as strong tylenol to them.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

This is the absolute last thing any of those two need. Jesus loving christ :cripes:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

Good lord. All Erica did was take a social media break because AI bros were hounding her about her quite reasonably not wanting somebody to use her voice in an AI generated song and not, to quote a goon in Video Games, steal her voice like a sea witch in a children's movie. Their "complaint" was it wasn't making any money so it was harmless.

apperently also she had some really tragic poo poo happen in her personal life recently(not sure on specifics) but yeah that didnt help. I love loving around with voice AI for weird dumb memes/poo poo from dead cartoons but like ehh.

AlternateNu posted:

I seriously hope this thread doesn't turn into the Viv Drama thread. Can we make an agreement to not repost assholes being assholes to her?

I like these shows. I don't want to dread coming in here to hear about internet drama second hand.

good point. i wont as much unless it gets big or is genuinly weirdly funny, the issue is until a new episode drops/Hazbin ad campaign starts, stuff will be somewhat slow.

Flopsy posted:

Velma is one of those breathtaking things where every single moment is just soaked through with raw unfiltered contempt. Both for the audience and the source material. And it's even weirder with all the producers and writers going around talking about how much they love the show and its characters. Mindy was especially atrocious about it because she has no loving clue who or what the character she's portraying is but claims Velma is her favorite. Imagine if you will you got called to play your favorite comfort character from your childhood and your way of showing it is by portraying them as the most hateful and most hated creature you can imagine. That's Mindy's deal and I still don't get what the end game was. Why even bother? Why put the energy in? There's a mystery for ya.

because she misread the room/is an idiot and thinks uber contrarian cyncism is still in, its not, even rick and morty and south park have backed off of that a bunch because its boring and people hate it. like i think a dark comedy scooby do could work, its just you would have to like the characters and make it interesting instead of just make it lazy and mean and "look we made them POC now so we are woke or something".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inJUFqeJehE
this is only 4 min and does it better.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

MJeff posted:

I'm amused at the idea that dealing heroin in hell is totally honest, upstanding work because it's basically about as strong tylenol to them.

Barbie is providing a service, it’s a victimless crime except for all the victims.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Tragically they don't have the balls to go as hard as this did.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apperently also she had some really tragic poo poo happen in her personal life recently(not sure on specifics) but yeah that didnt help. I love loving around with voice AI for weird dumb memes/poo poo from dead cartoons but like ehh.

Her husband died last year. I think it was cancer?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Her husband died last year. I think it was cancer?

i believe so, i think it was more recent sadly. I am not sure. I dont follow the personal lives of these people. I heard about it from a discord chat. i know the reasons she isnt in as much of season 2 is because of budget, they recorded most of season 2 two years ago.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 12, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i believe so, i think it was more recent sadly. I am not sure. I dont follow the personal lives of these people. I heard about it from a discord chat. i know the reasons she isnt in as much of season 2 is because of budget, they recorded most of season 2 two years ago.

Viv confirmed as much

https://twitter.com/lukacopelli/status/1678873301937012736?s=46&t=Fgeawy8q1j1l1WnsKnAIjg

She also mentions how Kesha and Norman Reedus didn't actually cost more than the regular cast

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Viv confirmed as much

https://twitter.com/lukacopelli/status/1678873301937012736?s=46&t=Fgeawy8q1j1l1WnsKnAIjg

She also mentions how Kesha and Norman Reedus didn't actually cost more than the regular cast

i can believe that. neither of them seem like greedy psychos who want a couple mill for an part in an indie animations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Didn't cost more than the regular cast"

Confirmed: The guy from Invader Zim costs 2 mil an episode.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Honestly, he deserves it

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I agree up until the most recent episode, where he should give me two million dollars for that accent.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MJeff posted:

"Didn't cost more than the regular cast"

Confirmed: The guy from Invader Zim costs 2 mil an episode.

honestly i still find it weirdly nuts that moxxie is basicaly just his regular voice. not an insult. sorta cool.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Happy Landfill posted:

Honestly, he deserves it

Same. He's been in the business since the 90's (I know he's most recognizable as Invader Zim but I'll always associate him with Dagget from the Angry Beavers) and has a very recognizable and unique voice. If he's not A-list material, I don't know who is.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah he's incredibly talented. Dude kills it in everything he's in

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly i still find it weirdly nuts that moxxie is basicaly just his regular voice. not an insult. sorta cool.

I said it in the other thread but he's the kind of voice actor where he rarely does more than just his one voice, but he puts little changes and inflections and different ways of saying things so the characters all still seem distinct. Dagget and Zim and Moxxie all talk very specific ways despite having the same voice

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I said it in the other thread but he's the kind of voice actor where he rarely does more than just his one voice, but he puts little changes and inflections and different ways of saying things so the characters all still seem distinct. Dagget and Zim and Moxxie all talk very specific ways despite having the same voice

Yeah, dudes an artist. He really conveys moxxie as the put upon office schlub who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and wife guy

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I have a friend who's taken VA workshops with Horvitz, and he really is just a master at his craft.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I have to say, I like how they handled Queen Bee.

Often when it comes to the "romantic rival" writers make them, at best, people who are secretly awful, or at worst, overtly awful.
Usually it's because otherwise the audience might realize that the protagonist trying to break up a relationship to get with one of them is a really lovely thing too do.

So I like that they made her one of the nicer people in hell, not flawless, but someone you can see actually making the protagonists love interest happy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don't know if you can label that whole thing a rivalry, yet. Loona's got a crush. We're not in love triangle territory yet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I don't know if you can label that whole thing a rivalry, yet. Loona's got a crush. We're not in love triangle territory yet.

Yeah, I took it more as loona is super socially awkward with people and reacts really badly when she feels threatened. Her actions in the show and previous parties. Then the dude who she has a crush on is bf of a greater demon.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Viv posted a preview for an upcoming ep featuring on her Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu2_4s-pd6-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Viv posted a preview for an upcoming ep featuring on her Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu2_4s-pd6-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

lol fun times ahead. also summer sale will probably hit tonight or next week. so thats nice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flopsy posted:

Velma is one of those breathtaking things where every single moment is just soaked through with raw unfiltered contempt. Both for the audience and the source material. And it's even weirder with all the producers and writers going around talking about how much they love the show and its characters. Mindy was especially atrocious about it because she has no loving clue who or what the character she's portraying is but claims Velma is her favorite. Imagine if you will you got called to play your favorite comfort character from your childhood and your way of showing it is by portraying them as the most hateful and most hated creature you can imagine. That's Mindy's deal and I still don't get what the end game was. Why even bother? Why put the energy in? There's a mystery for ya.

Mindy's whole deal is being a pickme Indian-American chud who plays herself or mouthpieces of herself. I think she musta been quite surprised that she didn't get the same reception when she used an existing character for that.

Pulsarcat posted:

I have to say, I like how they handled Queen Bee.

Often when it comes to the "romantic rival" writers make them, at best, people who are secretly awful, or at worst, overtly awful.
Usually it's because otherwise the audience might realize that the protagonist trying to break up a relationship to get with one of them is a really lovely thing too do.

So I like that they made her one of the nicer people in hell, not flawless, but someone you can see actually making the protagonists love interest happy.

I found it extra funny just to pile on poor Loona's misfortune. She meets a big nice hot guy and gets a crush... oh no, he's taken and in a happy relationship
Oh no, his girlfriend is hot and charismatic and also literal royalty
Oh no, she's also really nice and likeable and even is specifically nice to me AND my fuckup drunk dad

Macaluso posted:

Moxxie strikes me as being basically halfway between Zim and Dagget, and I think they're especially having fun with him being the relative voice of reason. Also agreed that he definitely works best when he has someone who's willing to hear him out sometimes but also tell him to stop overthinking it. Blitzo is actually pretty good at thinking on his feet in a pinch.

Also apparently Horvitz is Alpha 5 as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mindy's whole deal is being a pickme Indian-American chud who plays herself or mouthpieces of herself. I think she musta been quite surprised that she didn't get the same reception when she used an existing character for that.

I've heard it said, only half jokingly, that this is what going to an Ivy League school does to a person.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I've heard it said, only half jokingly, that this is what going to an Ivy League school does to a person.

that christ i went to a state school.

MJeff posted:

i like that Hell is just here but shittier with shittier moral sytems and poo poo. it reminds me of a mix of barker and burton. i like it. but then again i kinda view hell as like that and only small hopes to string you along until you die again or something.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

HB's been nominated for a Streamy :yayclod:

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1683624076781436928?s=20

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
isn't that kind of unfair to the other nominees? I don't really watch any of those others but at a cursory glance they're about what I would expect from personal or small time animation channels while this show is practically in the big leagues fit to compete with any other real cartoon

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

isn't that kind of unfair to the other nominees? I don't really watch any of those others but at a cursory glance they're about what I would expect from personal or small time animation channels while this show is practically in the big leagues fit to compete with any other real cartoon

Jaiden's at least pretty popular, especially thanks to her animating her Nuzlocke runs.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That very much seems like a two horse race.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

i feel like meatcanyon is like a year too late. his stuff can be pretty good but his peak was like 2 years ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvLP1stpyhm/?img_index=1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CupK5Q7J_KL/?img_index=1

anyway. i had some extra cash and kinda commisioned my custom stuff.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Look at those guys :kimchi:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Look at those guys :kimchi:

I have a jingle(the little reindeer dude) a stolas from another artist, a Luna, a Octavia and Collin. I’ll try to post some pictures later of them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I need Helluva Boss to get big enough that they start making Helluva Boss Nenderoids, I need one of each of the main 5 immediately

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I need Helluva Boss to get big enough that they start making Helluva Boss Nenderoids, I need one of each of the main 5 immediately

I think hazbin takes off, especially if it’s good and the various strikes keep knew big shows from launching. So probably in another year or two. Also new sale. https://sharkrobot.com/collections/vivziepop

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

You'll get Funko Pops and you'll like it!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pulsarcat posted:

You'll get Funko Pops and you'll like it!

I think shark robot kinda has the monopoly unless you have extra cash to spring for like good fan made poo poo.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I'm gonna need a Moxxie nendo immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/mistmistly/status/1684640915061870593?s=46&t=A2dAs186kc-kFL1y5YrbkA

This was in response to Viv posting that she donated $5k to the Lackadaisy Kickstarter on behalf of herself and the Spindlehorse team. The reason it's extra lovely is because it's someone on the Lackadaisy team. Viv has been super vocal about animation not being a competition and has supported Lackadaisy since day one, and it's wild that not only is someone still hating on her, it's someone working on Lackadaisy itself. Especially dumb considering people are working on one that have worked on the other