Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Last Call posted:

Perhaps.

Modern shipping is still annoying as hell.

Took the SPN fandom for me to realize how batshit nuts some of these people are.

Everyone is crazy all the time. What's SPN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lammasu posted:

Everyone is crazy all the time. What's SPN?

Supernatural.

It was a TV show.

That fandom with it's shipping was....extra crazy to be put it mildly.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Last Call posted:

Supernatural.

It was a TV show.

That fandom with it's shipping was....extra crazy to be put it mildly.

Oh yeah, with all the incest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lammasu posted:

Oh yeah, with all the incest.
As I recall, they (the Wincest people) harassed the real-life wife of one of the actors for getting in the way of Sam and Dean. While I am sure this was merely a handful of maniacs, that sure is an outlier!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Nessus posted:

As I recall, they (the Wincest people) harassed the real-life wife of one of the actors for getting in the way of Sam and Dean. While I am sure this was merely a handful of maniacs, that sure is an outlier!

There were people that legit believed the actual actors were a secret couple. When one of them got married it flipped out some, so much so they went to where that couple was going for their honeymoon to give him a petition saying how it was okay to be with the other actor and not have a beard to pretend in a sham marriage.

It was complete lunacy.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

There were people that legit believed the actual actors were a secret couple. When one of them got married it flipped out some, so much so they went to where that couple was going for their honeymoon to give him a petition saying how it was okay to be with the other actor and not have a beard to pretend in a sham marriage.

It was complete lunacy.

I genuinely have no idea how people get so invested in fictional characters touching peepees. These people stalking writers and actors are the covid Karens of entertainment and they have no idea. Like have they no shame? Are they not embarrassed doing this to somebody in real life? Looking them in the eye while whining about their incest ship? Like how the gently caress do they manage it? I get embarrassed asking for an autograph!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flopsy posted:

I genuinely have no idea how people get so invested in fictional characters touching peepees. These people stalking writers and actors are the covid Karens of entertainment and they have no idea. Like have they no shame? Are they not embarrassed doing this to somebody in real life? Looking them in the eye while whining about their incest ship? Like how the gently caress do they manage it? I get embarrassed asking for an autograph!
Lowtax was a wife-beating pill enthusiast but he was right about one thing: The internet DOES make you stupid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Covok posted:

Is there some greater goal or is just about stirring the pot?

Righteousness is a drug.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's also probably a measure of tall poppy syndrome towards someone who actually accomplished poo poo. There's a reason that the whole idpol scold thing only survives elsewhere in young adult wannabe writers all shanking each other trying to cancel the competition.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's also probably a measure of tall poppy syndrome towards someone who actually accomplished poo poo. There's a reason that the whole idpol scold thing only survives elsewhere in young adult wannabe writers all shanking each other trying to cancel the competition.

I hate to say it but all the "I'm saving these characters from Viv!" re-writes/re-designs absolutely reek of this. They like the elements they fixated on but the rest pisses them off and they're big mad that she made it where they haven't. Hell I've seen character takes that are so far out of left field I don't even know what to do with them. Like calling Vaggie and Charlie toxic. And yes I did see a thread calling every single relationship in the entire hellverse toxic even Moxxie and Millie and Fizz and Ozzie. Literally all of them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The redesign posts are so funny cause they always give Alastor a much worse design every time.

Also the hater side gets up in arms about Alastor using voodoo and the voodoo symbols, which to me I already whatever as if the show isn't already playing fast and loose with religion. But I saw a post that was like "it's okay she'll gently caress around with voodoo and she'll find out" and it's like you can just hate the show, you don't have to do this whole thing where you pretend voodoo and magic are real and Viv is gonna get some kind of voodoo wrath upon her

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda funny given Disney went out of their way to make sure Princess and the Frog didn't have genuine voodoo symbols, but then making a cartoon where Lucifer himself is a significant character probably means that barn door is already open no matter what way you slice it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Flopsy posted:

I hate to say it but all the "I'm saving these characters from Viv!" re-writes/re-designs absolutely reek of this. They like the elements they fixated on but the rest pisses them off and they're big mad that she made it where they haven't. Hell I've seen character takes that are so far out of left field I don't even know what to do with them. Like calling Vaggie and Charlie toxic. And yes I did see a thread calling every single relationship in the entire hellverse toxic even Moxxie and Millie and Fizz and Ozzie. Literally all of them.

People who have never been in an actual relationship don't know what relationships look like.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny given Disney went out of their way to make sure Princess and the Frog didn't have genuine voodoo symbols, but then making a cartoon where Lucifer himself is a significant character probably means that barn door is already open no matter what way you slice it.
Does Hazbin have actual voodoo symbols or just patterns with a similar shape? I'm sure some industrious Tumblerite has documented this already.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

this. Woke scold types kinda died outside some media critics and weirdo YA wannabees when trump won. Now its either really bad media critics who fried their brains or Weird socially broken/fail adults who only read kids media.

Macaluso posted:

The redesign posts are so funny cause they always give Alastor a much worse design every time.

Also the hater side gets up in arms about Alastor using voodoo and the voodoo symbols, which to me I already whatever as if the show isn't already playing fast and loose with religion. But I saw a post that was like "it's okay she'll gently caress around with voodoo and she'll find out" and it's like you can just hate the show, you don't have to do this whole thing where you pretend voodoo and magic are real and Viv is gonna get some kind of voodoo wrath upon her

thats the poo poo i find funny. like people twist themselves into knots to paint Viv as some super chud who laughs at minorites killing themselves. like people turn her into some great satan and its loving weird. like the cartoon isnt even offensive or anything. i do think alot of it is because they can't find the right "scalp" to cancel her so they keep trying anything. its like the online dipshit version of Comers impeachment hearings. i think at worst viv has alot of the same problems any any late 20s/early 30s person has if they spent to much online and she seems to have gotten past worst of it years ago.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 25, 2024

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nessus posted:

Does Hazbin have actual voodoo symbols or just patterns with a similar shape? I'm sure some industrious Tumblerite has documented this already.

Hazbin has accurate symbols with real meanings that are appropriate to Alastor as a person and his proposed method of death, since Alastor seems to have been a Voodoo believer in life (unrelated to why he is in hell, which is the cannibal serial killer thing).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am just gonna drop insane takes for fun. since it came up and people were wondering what other meant and i like to watch insane takes
https://twitter.com/cloudi_days/status/1772221042007634099
https://twitter.com/strwblitzy/status/1771536726969753758
https://twitter.com/Exspiritmental/status/1769696505370190172
https://twitter.com/eve0fthegarden/status/1769367105369952710
https://twitter.com/saggingarts/status/1768958872507601012

also new merch today.
https://twitter.com/HELLAVERSE/status/1771269356254621708
https://twitter.com/HELLAVERSE/status/1771271406627570163

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still no word on the next HB episode yet other than likely sometime within the next month or two I assume(last I heard production was basically finished and it’s a webseries so they don’t need to cowtow to some network or streaming platform, unless YouTube has some stake in the series beyond hosting it that I’m not aware of)?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

Still no word on the next HB episode yet other than likely sometime within the next month or two I assume(last I heard production was basically finished and it’s a webseries so they don’t need to cowtow to some network or streaming platform, unless YouTube has some stake in the series beyond hosting it that I’m not aware of)?

they said a while back that it was probably april or so, which wouldnt shock me. right now they are recording stuff for hazbin season 2(possibly more) and did more stuff for HB.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just want them to finish putting actual subtitles in the earlier episodes.

Most still have the autogenerated ones which vary wildly from being either completely wrong to simply absent.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Keith David doing a musical number was something I didn't know I needed in my life. Also, what's an acrylic standee?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Flopsy posted:

Some people get lost in their own made up fantasies and refuse to accept anything else. If anyone says anything opposite they flip out and take it personal in ways you don't expect, they act like you are attacking them. It happens with certain people in every fandom I ever seen. There was one woman who was a huge Megatron fan way back in the day and took it badly if you wrote him or the Decepticons as anything but the actual heroes. Did I mention she once carried around her large snake and tried to intimidate the VA for the Beast Wars Megatron VA at a con? She called him the pretender cause his character dared to use the name Megatron! People be crazy. This was over 20 years ago. They've always been crazy.

Nessus posted:

They actually do use legit voodoo symbols EXCEPT they edit or modify them slightly. Add a line or two, erase part of circle, edit out something, you know that sort of thing. If you know the symbols you'll still reconize them.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just want them to finish putting actual subtitles in the earlier episodes.

Most still have the autogenerated ones which vary wildly from being either completely wrong to simply absent.

They did drop the ball hard on getting languages for the show for different countries in the Hazbin pilot and Heullva. So much so it's largely been left to the fans to create them. One of the reasons why The Amazing Digital Circus succeeded was due to them ensuring it had subtitles for so many languages.

It sucks if we don't get any more Helluva this month but hey we get Murder Drones in four days. Only took eight months. Good thing it didn't end on a pivotal moment or anything....no....that didn't happen at all, not at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Last Call posted:

They actually do use legit voodoo symbols EXCEPT they edit or modify them slightly. Add a line or two, erase part of circle, edit out something, you know that sort of thing. If you know the symbols you'll still reconize.
good plan. Don’t want to offend the Baron.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Hazbin pilot got a Japanese dub at least (albeit also using a different set of actors than they would in the main series) but I’m not sure about other countries.

Last I checked HB has only ever been dubbed in Russian and French (though the latter’s only put out two episodes to my knowledge)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Judging by the amount of fanart from Japanese artists I see going by, I have to think that Hazbin has gotten a significant number of Japanese fans.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Madurai posted:

Judging by the amount of fanart from Japanese artists I see going by, I have to think that Hazbin has gotten a significant number of Japanese fans.

It has.

It's super popular over there. I posted an image a few pages back about it doing great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of surprised Helluva Boss never made its way over there honestly

Also did any other countries dub the Hazbin pilot out of curiosity (and if so, did any of them actually keep their existing voice cast when they went on to the main series)?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Some people get lost in their own made up fantasies and refuse to accept anything else. If anyone says anything opposite they flip out and take it personal in ways you don't expect, they act like you are attacking them. It happens with certain people in every fandom I ever seen. There was one woman who was a huge Megatron fan way back in the day and took it badly if you wrote him or the Decepticons as anything but the actual heroes. Did I mention she once carried around her large snake and tried to intimidate the VA for the Beast Wars Megatron VA at a con? She called him the pretender cause his character dared to use the name Megatron! People be crazy. This was over 20 years ago. They've always been crazy.

yeah, i will never understand THAT level of crazy and i commison loving plushes of cartoon characters. like none of this shits real. Like yeah some of the actors or writers may like said property or get into it more but like its their day job. it always reminds me of this story i heard about some hasbro suit doing like sales calls back when the MLP stuff was at its peak and randos would call in asking like lore questions and charatcer poo poo and its like this lady is just reading the quaterly earnings.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's Monday.

Nutty online stuff can be fun to talk about, but you now what's best in life?

Dad jokes! I give you OG Alastor giving some with the actual OG Hazbin Hotel crew of Angel Dust and Nifty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me0XrTTM_3s

Animated by one of the actual Hazbin Hotel artist who is also the real girlfriend of OG Angel Dust! She's the rabbit character.

If you liked it, I give you the sequel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FKg8-YSkUs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

It's Monday.

Nutty online stuff can be fun to talk about, but you now what's best in life?

Dad jokes! I give you OG Alastor giving some with the actual OG Hazbin Hotel crew of Angel Dust and Nifty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me0XrTTM_3s

Animated by one of the actual Hazbin Hotel artist who is also the real girlfriend of OG Angel Dust! She's the rabbit character.

If you liked it, I give you the sequel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FKg8-YSkUs

https://twitter.com/HELLAVERSE/status/1772308029314158980
new merch is out. its solid. i might get the tiny verosika.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/HELLAVERSE/status/1772308029314158980
new merch is out. its solid. i might get the tiny verosika.

Not into plushies myself but those will make a lot of people happy.

From what I gather the merchandise really does extremely well.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Well if we're posting neat stuff we found this japanese fan made some pretty cute gifs:

https://twitter.com/marsh_poco/status/1772218003259617395

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Flopsy posted:

Well if we're posting neat stuff we found this japanese fan made some pretty cute gifs:

Those are great.

You got to love how talented some people are.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Not into plushies myself but those will make a lot of people happy.

From what I gather the merchandise really does extremely well.

as someone who is. the plushies look kinda ehh, but good for the price, though id knock the price to 40 instead of 50.

Flopsy posted:

i always like seeing what gets popular in other countries. outside moomins what other western stuff got big in japan?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as someone who is. the plushies look kinda ehh, but good for the price, though id knock the price to 40 instead of 50.

i always like seeing what gets popular in other countries. outside moomins what other western stuff got big in japan?

Anne of Green Gables.

It's crazy popular in Japan, so much that there are regular Japanese bus tours of the locations listed in the book. But wait you ask, does that take place in Japan? No, Canada!

Turns out a young girl with a fiery bold personility really appealed to the people over there.

https://www.anneofgreengables.com/blog-posts/how-anne-became-popular-in-japan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39809999

Anne of Green Gables was the inspiration of another character, Pippi Longstocking.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Anne of Green Gables.

It's crazy popular in Japan, so much that there are regular Japanese bus tours of the locations listed in the book. But wait you ask, does that take place in Japan? No, Canada!

Turns out a young girl with a fiery bold personility really appealed to the people over there.

Anne of Green Gables was the inspiration of another character, Pippi Longstocking.

thats nuts.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Last Call posted:

Anne of Green Gables.

Isn't Little Women big there too? They made an anime of it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They made an anime out of a lot of western stories (Robin Hood, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Jungle Book, Wizard of Oz, Huck Finn, and probably more I’m forgetting)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They're also crazy about Columbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lammasu posted:

Isn't Little Women big there too? They made an anime of it.

Apparently so!

Japan has enjoyed a lot of stuff from other countries.

Know how anime and manga has become popular in other countries besides Japan?

Japan has it's own dedicated fanbases of American cartoons like Spongebob etc.

Makes it kinda funny thinking how some fans over there say how fans should only listen to such shows in their original language much like some do with the Japan stuff.