Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a bit of a complex I think where people struggle to view a marriage as either a hateful mess or picture perfect Happily Ever After, or wildly swinging in between.

Helluva does have some issues there with Millie being a bit underdeveloped, and unfortunately her spotlight episode ended up being obnoxious, but you can still see the chemistry with her and Moxxie, and also their contrasts. Both of them are not just among the nicer people in Hell, even if they're open to ultraviolence to solve their problems, but they're actually genuinely polite, friendly and upbeat, contrasted with how mean, petty and casually rude so many demons are of all social classes. (and a lot better at reading the room and less overbearing than Charlie) They have their clear weapon specialties and respect their division of skills, while also learning from each other, with emphasis on the scenes where Moxxie uses melee and Millie uses guns, simply because they're the right tool for the moment.

In fact I think it comes to mind because the show repeatedly implies the idea of a happy, healthy, stable marriage in Hell is met with skepticism at best. Blitz is clearly fascinated by the couple and probably not necessarily just because of his clear desire for a threesome, Ozzie seems both skeptical and perhaps jealous of the pair, since they can have their relationship openly, and Crimson openly dismisses the idea of their marriage having any value at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a bit of a complex I think where people struggle to view a marriage as either a hateful mess or picture perfect Happily Ever After, or wildly swinging in between.

Helluva does have some issues there with Millie being a bit underdeveloped, and unfortunately her spotlight episode ended up being obnoxious, but you can still see the chemistry with her and Moxxie, and also their contrasts. Both of them are not just among the nicer people in Hell, even if they're open to ultraviolence to solve their problems, but they're actually genuinely polite, friendly and upbeat, contrasted with how mean, petty and casually rude so many demons are of all social classes. (and a lot better at reading the room and less overbearing than Charlie) They have their clear weapon specialties and respect their division of skills, while also learning from each other, with emphasis on the scenes where Moxxie uses melee and Millie uses guns, simply because they're the right tool for the moment.

In fact I think it comes to mind because the show repeatedly implies the idea of a happy, healthy, stable marriage in Hell is met with skepticism at best. Blitz is clearly fascinated by the couple and probably not necessarily just because of his clear desire for a threesome, Ozzie seems both skeptical and perhaps jealous of the pair, since they can have their relationship openly, and Crimson openly dismisses the idea of their marriage having any value at all.

yeah. i like that m&m just seem to genuinly love each other and be nice people outside being assassins. like i feel like if your not trying to gently caress with either of them and they arnt after you for a contract, they would be pretty chill neighbors.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, have we seen another intact married couple in the franchise besides M&M (Lucifer and Lilith seem to be at least estranged at the moment and I don’t think it was explicitly established that Moxxie’s mom was actually married to Crimson)?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, have we seen another intact married couple in the franchise besides M&M (Lucifer and Lilith seem to be at least estranged at the moment and I don’t think it was explicitly established that Moxxie’s mom was actually married to Crimson)?
Hazbin has Charlie/Vaggie and Valentino/Vox although these both seem like 'established relationships' more than 'marriage.'

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nessus posted:

Hazbin has Charlie/Vaggie and Valentino/Vox although these both seem like 'established relationships' more than 'marriage.'

They explicitly say that the former are just girlfriends (though they do live together at least)

I think Millie’s parents might also still be together if I remember right

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

They explicitly say that the former are just girlfriends (though they do live together at least)

I think Millie’s parents might also still be together if I remember right

No indication they're not at any point.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I've seen Val and Vox described as friends with benefits.

Makes sense, especially if Vox is actually pining for Alastor.

Thin line between love and hate and all that.

Millie and Mox could both use more time to shine, Millie does need the development a bit more. Mox meanwhile needs to show his skill more.

Given time we'll see both as the folks on the show have expressed intentions to do so.

Season 3 should be quite eventful. Plus we got season 4 as well in which we're bound to see every character shine as best they can as the show wraps up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

I've seen Val and Vox described as friends with benefits.

Makes sense, especially if Vox is actually pining for Alastor.

Thin line between love and hate and all that.

Millie and Mox could both use more time to shine, Millie does need the development a bit more. Mox meanwhile needs to show his skill more.

Given time we'll see both as the folks on the show have expressed intentions to do so.

Season 3 should be quite eventful. Plus we got season 4 as well in which we're bound to see every character shine as best they can as the show wraps up.

yeah millie needs more time in the sun, also i kinda hope we see mox grow more and maybe do a lead a mission where he isnt a theaterkid gently caress up.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I walked by a solid Lucifer cosplay at a Starbucks near Sakuracon this morning. Suit, wings, hat and all. I was too lazy to stop to ask for a rubber duck, angry fiddle noises, or a photo, sadly :effort:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

I walked by a solid Lucifer cosplay at a Starbucks near Sakuracon this morning. Suit, wings, hat and all. I was too lazy to stop to ask for a rubber duck, angry fiddle noises, or a photo, sadly :effort:

It's got to be the coolest sensation in the world when people start cosplaying your work. I mean getting your own fanficiton heading at Ao3 for sure but that ones more visible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

How tall were they?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Cugel the Clever posted:

Man or woman?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Nessus posted:

How tall were they?
Middling! They were looking resplendent in the window without a good point of reference.

Lammasu posted:

Man or woman?
Lucifer! Given the getup, they might have been an alien from Ceti Alpha V, for all I could tell in passing :cheeky:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Cugel the Clever posted:

Middling! They were looking resplendent in the window without a good point of reference.

Lucifer! Given the getup, they might have been an alien from Ceti Alpha V, for all I could tell in passing :cheeky:

I would make out with Lucifer just in case.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
People have made some amazing cosplay with the characters.

Just saying.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

People have made some amazing cosplay with the characters.

Just saying.

She knew what the assignment was and ate till there were no crumbs left on the plate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Speaking of Lute, this 16 second video's dumb as hell, but it made me laugh like an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3SdgQwR03c

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
A gag that has stuck with me my entire life was watching the syndicated dub of Samurai Pizza Cats, where a mother and child are standing in front of an untranslated sign. "Mommy, what does that sign say?" "How should I know? It's all in Japanese!"

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Speaking of Lute, this 16 second video's dumb as hell, but it made me laugh like an idiot.

It's even funnier when you consider she'd totally act that way.

Nikumatic posted:

A gag that has stuck with me my entire life was watching the syndicated dub of Samurai Pizza Cats, where a mother and child are standing in front of an untranslated sign. "Mommy, what does that sign say?" "How should I know? It's all in Japanese!"

Samurai Pizza Cats was so good. Never getting the scripts was the best thing that ever happened to the show. That and the guy getting drunk and then singing the intro song.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's a quality gag, but the thing that strikes me the most is how close the Japanese voices are to their English counterparts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Last Call posted:

It's even funnier when you consider she'd totally act that way.

Samurai Pizza Cats was so good. Never getting the scripts was the best thing that ever happened to the show. That and the guy getting drunk and then singing the intro song.

Even the original Japanese version was a comedy show (albeit kind of a mediocre one) that rarely took itself seriously most of the time, but the dub is why people remember the series

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Madurai posted:

It's a quality gag, but the thing that strikes me the most is how close the Japanese voices are to their English counterparts.

The voice actress for Sera is amazingly close.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

Even the original Japanese version was a comedy show (albeit kind of a mediocre one) that rarely took itself seriously most of the time, but the dub is why people remember the series

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it prove to be so good they exported that version back to Japan and was a hit?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The voice actress for Sera is amazingly close.

Huh, I’m tempted to rewatch the series in Japanese at some point then, how well do the songs translate?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/Luximus17/status/1774840467147936003

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
My therapist: Mimzarolli isn't real, it can't hurt you

Mimzarolli:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Larryb posted:

Huh, I’m tempted to rewatch the series in Japanese at some point then, how well do the songs translate?

I have no idea, I've just watched a bunch of clips on youtube.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Like through lyrics or tone? They absolutely butchered Lucifer's speaking for voice for no good goddamn reason I'll say that much. Especially since his voice actor is a young man who sings like a pop star for fucksakes. They committed to having him imitate a wheezy old guy voice for uh reasons I guess.

Performance varies heavily across the board.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, that’s weird. Were they able to keep a variation of the “Your medium is getting rare” line at least?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Huh, that’s weird. Were they able to keep a variation of the “Your medium is getting rare” line at least?

Eh not especially, here's a rough translation of Vox's part for you:

Welcome to the show
"Well, the first news is that someone who has been missing for seven years has been seen in the city! Did anyone notice? Who was happy? Let's take a look!"

"Looks like that radio devil is back! For what purpose? What will happen to our lives? Don't worry! Because he's a loser, an old-fashioned, and I hate to say it, but you idiot!
“This is destiny! Everyone is glued to the TV!
Radio is already old! It's a waste of time! It's no use just listening! I don't know if it was a good vacation, but there's no point in going back!
Since he disappeared, the main role has been TV.
The radio is already rotten
Ever since he disappeared, hell has been the best!"

The radio is already rotten line is referencing the medium is bloody rare bit. They didn't have an equivalent in the language so that's the best they got. Like I said some voices and performances are pretty good others are just--I don't really know what they were thinking.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Who else from the dub besides Lucifer isn’t great in the voice department in your opinion?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Translations between Japanese and English can be very hit and miss. Some things do not translate.

It's why the translating team have to get a bit creative and come up with differen phrases or lines that translate better for that particular audience. Otherwise you get lines that make no sense, are stifled or has no real context in the opposite language.

It's a tricky thing. There are stuff online about it you can read up about I'm sure.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Like through lyrics or tone? They absolutely butchered Lucifer's speaking for voice for no good goddamn reason I'll say that much. Especially since his voice actor is a young man who sings like a pop star for fucksakes. They committed to having him imitate a wheezy old guy voice for uh reasons I guess.

Performance varies heavily across the board.

yeah. i dont get an OLD MAN vibe from luci. maybe like middle age life crisis but depressed and out of touch

Larryb posted:

doesnt he say "your medium is getting Bloody rare"?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I don’t think meat rarity in that sense comes up in Japanese cuisine

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

One thing the Japanese dub does do cleverly is Alastor doesn't have the specific radio interference noise thing on his voice. Because the sort of radio that sound comes from was never used in Japan commercially.

So instead Japanese Alastor uses a soundscape appropriate to Japanese Radios of the time period.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
localization is so cool

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While we’re on the subject, how are some of the other Hazbin dubs out of curiosity (and did they all get the pilot as well)?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

localization is so cool

yeah. i remember thinking of buying this book about undertale and translation, the book was basicaly about how they translated undertale into japanese and how basicaly all the jokes are different because audiance stuff. I am sorta finally dipping my toe into anime at 33, so i find it sorta interesting.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Great translation teams are some of the unsung members of a team. 1: 1 translations tend to be horrible, dry, stale and overall not translate well to another language. It’s why I’m always supportive of a translation team being able to do what is right for their audience and have the freedom to make something make sense in that language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Great translation teams are some of the unsung members of a team. 1: 1 translations tend to be horrible, dry, stale and overall not translate well to another language. It’s why I’m always supportive of a translation team being able to do what is right for their audience and have the freedom to make something make sense in that language.

yeah, keep the spirit of the work and the tone and probably keep alot of the plot but change what you need too.