Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Was anyone from Gravity Falls working on that the latest episode, the summer camp one because wow were those backgrounds were a familiar and comfy sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I'm sure ya'll have gone through this already but I finally say down to watch Hazbin Hotel and it feels like something happened to it from the pilot and it's not... right? I'm 3 episodes in and it's weirdly straightforward with everything, all it's edges got sanded down maybe a little too much. Maybe I'm spoiled from Helluva Boss. Does that change as the season goes on?

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Jeez, what timing! I guess I'll get back to it then and report back. Thanks

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Honestly I thought the pilot was too edgy, as was early Helluva Boss, but it felt like all that Newgrounds/Tumblr gently caress You energy was sanded down so much in this now finished product. Didn't feel as personal and bumpy as Helluva does, but as stated, I still have more to go to find it finding its footing

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Y’all were not kidding. Just finished episode 4 and Wow! That’s what I’m looking for. That’s the energy I’ve been getting from Helluva. Thanks everyone for saying keep going

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Thank you everyone that told me to keep trucking after not feeling it after 3 episodes. This series is fantastic and exactly what I wanted and I am so excited for season 2. I am now gonna go watch Helluva Boss again to scratch the itch.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

So, what especially scratched your itch?

I mean the songs, especially Angel Dust's, in episode 4 really helped. The first 3 episodes felt too simple and straight forward, like it was any other cartoon. It was lacking the zest I get from Helluva Boss, that messy emotional drama of characters dealing with their feelings in a messy hosed up world.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i kinda like that its not safe but its also not "mean",

This this this, a hundred times this. It's something I remember from watching the pilot and glad it was removed that just cruelty to people in the universe was a constant punch line. Needless meanness and cruelty seem to be a punchline in a lot of "adult" cartoons and I'm so happy Helluva and Hazbin moved on from that without loosing the "people are dealing with lovely situations" energy. It's very refreshing.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

The Last Call posted:

It's cheesy to say but Hazbin Hotel has something a lot of shows lack.

It has heart.

You can tell it's a work of passion for a lot of folks.

You make a very sad but true point about today's animation landscape. It's what I was scared of those first few episodes, like all the little bumps and idiosyncrasies that come from passionate people making things were sanded down and removed.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Also want to shout out the show for changing my mind on there being a character name Vaggy. At first I rolled my eyes super hard cause it seemed super juvenile, but then learning the fact that Adam names all his angels, and he names them simple names of things he likes, and he loving sucks completely changed my position

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Have they said why the Helluva Boss songs aren't on Spotify? The Hazbin soundtrack is and I'm dying to be able to put stuff like Cotton Candy on my playlist.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Adrianics posted:

Just finished watching season one of Hazbin Hotel. I don't know if this is a common experience but I was kind of cold on it until a few episodes in and then it reaaaaaaally started to click for me and by the end I loved it; "The Show Must Go On" is probably my favourite episode of tv from this year.

As someone who asked the thread about it and had the same exact experience as you, yes it is pretty common, which remains weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I feel like Skullgirls could crossover with HH/HB pretty easily style-wise. Maybe a guest character?