Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally caught up with this show and I have two questions:

1: Is there any particular rhyme or reason to when new Helluva Boss episodes come out?

2: Why is it that almost none of the voice cast from the 2019 pilot is coming back for the Hazbin Hotel series? I thought the majority of them did a great job for the most part (I’m also curious how much of said pilot will be rehashed for the actual premiere)

Also why did it take this long for the show to finally get picked up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I kinda hope they put the every demon has a rainbow song in it or at least in the ost as a bonus.

Also they removed the helluva boss pilot from the channel.

They did release this video a few weeks ago showing off some of the new Hazbin Hotel VAs (which I’ll admit sound at least fairly close to the originals):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=q1MT8GZ3c-E

I’ll be curious if the premiere is going to rehash the pilot with some changes here and there (which would make sense since by the time the show comes out it’d be 5 years from then) or just pick up where it left off.

Also I kind of love that this franchise is basically a Disney musical only with swearing and sex jokes

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 9, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How long is Helluva Boss supposed to run for at minimum again (same question goes for Hazbin Hotel when that starts up)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also sort of curious how much direct crossover there’s going to be between Hazbin and Helluva (they both take place in the same universe and there’s a few nods to the former within the latter)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’d explain why Charlie looks the least demonic of probably any major character in the franchise. I forget, has Lucifer himself made a speaking appearance in HB yet?

If not I assume he’ll play a big role in Hazbin at least seeing as the protagonist is his daughter

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 15, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m personally curious about what lies beyond the Hazbin Hotel premiere, Charle’s entire plan focuses around redeeming demons (which is a rather holy plan ironically enough, not to mention the fact that her girlfriend is thus far her only real supporter in all this) so I’ll be interested to see how she intends on following through and what the consequences end up being in the long run (particularly with everything going on elsewhere over in Helluva) and how much Alastor ends up actually helping/gumming up the works seeing as he’s mostly in it for his own amusement. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more direct Lucifer involvement in this one as well.

So far the show apparently has two confirmed seasons with 9 episodes making up the first one (interesting they’re going with Amazon Prime for this rather than YouTube releases like HB)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 16, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also having caught up with the series recently I’m sort of disappointed to discover that this was just a fanmade song (albeit one from the official singing voice of Alastor in the Hazbin pilot):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=juJkNKodgdE

On another note, hearing Richard Horvitz swear was a surreal experience (though I kind of appreciate the fact they had him voice the boy scout of the group)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 20, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still find it funny that they have Horvitz voicing the most moral, sensible and polite member of the cast. Not that he's always played total jerks (Norbert is actually the nice one in Angry Beavers if you pay attention) but Moxxie is probably one of the first prominent characters he's played who'd actually be pleasant to be around most of the time.

Also I made a joking comparison of Stolas and Octavia to Dr Orpheus and Triana, and now I'm down the mental rabbit hole realising Blitzo reminds me of Rusty, and Rusty having a tumultuous relationship with Orpheus would make a weird amount of sense as well as being hilarious. Also wanna see that fanart theme. Would Loona be Brock?

He was also the voice of Alpha 5 in MMPR who wasn't a jerk (most of the time) either

Come to think of it, is this the first time he’s had a major role in something clearly not made for kids (I know he’s had some bit parts here and there)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 25, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can see why their parents prefer Dag.

Also kinda lol given Norbert is pretty much Salem with less of a criminal record, what with having the same voice and all. (He also played Salem in the (first) Sabrina cartoon, and apparently was also a writer on both. Explains a lot.) That show basically had those two's voice acting as the rock solid foundation. I hope they get him for Helluva Boss somehow, if only as a cameo.

Nick Bakay apparently hasn’t done anything major since 2019 but yeah, that’d be cool.

Kind of curious if we’ll see any HB characters pop up in Hazbin for that matter (even if only just as a oneshot cameo)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my guess is Helluva boss characters CAN be in Hazbin but hazbin can't be in helluva boss. My guess is the most we will get ins background shots the IMP billboard in a shot. I am guessing you will see goetic demons and the Sins and probably Imps around though. I believe at least. it would be weird if its just dead humans.

Why would characters from the former be able to show up in the latter but not vice versa? Something to do with the fact Hazbin is going to be on Amazon Prime while Helluva will remain a free YouTube series?

I’m pretty sure Helluva’s had at least one Hazbin cameo by now at least (though it was only a picture or something)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 27, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Since Hazbin is essentially owned by A24 I know for matter of fact NO Hazbin characters are ever showing up in Helluva Boss because it would be a whole legal kerfuffle. I mean episode 8 should show what happens when the lawyers get involved. But seeing as Viv co-owns Helluva with Brandon it shouldn't be to much of an issue for her to put her own characters into the former. I least I think so since Helluva boss is an indie animation with no sticky ownership issues.

Ah nevermind then, but I thought Hazbin was by the same creators? Or is it more complicated than that (also I only got into/caught up with the series recently so which came first for that matter? Helluva Boss or the Hazbin Hotel pilot)?

But in any case yeah, I’m guessing Hazbin will go a little more into the upper echelons of Hell while HB is mostly the misadventures of a mercenary group near the bottom rung (I believe Stolas is the highest demon up the food chain the gang is on somewhat good terms with)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 27, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still a pity they had to replace pretty much the entire Hazbin cast (compared to Helluva where I believe only Millie and Stolas changed between the pilot and the series proper). But I am looking forward to the show and where they go with it at least

Do we know if the series is going to have a set release schedule?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, why did they change the entire Hazbin cast again? As I said, all but two of HB’s cast stayed on past the pilot (well, one technically since Milly was originally played by the same actress as Loona)

I’m especially sad to lose Alastor’s singing voice (I remember being disappointed to learn that Insane was not actually a song from the series proper).

From what little we’ve heard of them Charlie and Vaggie sound close enough at least but I kind of prefer the original Angel (though to be fair we’ve only heard a little bit of him as mentioned)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 29, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nikumatic posted:

Hazbin Hotel is a SAG-AFTRA production under A24, so it had to be union actors.

Ah, makes sense then (though Helluva also uses a lot of union actors despite being a free YouTube series)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Alternatively, I think Kesha did an incredible job as Bee, and I'll be sad when she eventually shows up again and she's voiced by someone else.

Agreed. Also I’m curious when/if the show is finally going to revisit the plot from Season 1 with the human government agents having evidence of the gang’s existence

Speaking of the above post, have the creators of this series done anything else noteworthy in the past? HB seems to have a lot of star power for a YouTube show

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 29, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drat that was a good song and Bryce knocked it out of the park, I love that this irreverent show about literal demons can hit so hard emotionally. And yeah, I’d love a full fledged movie with this level of animation

On another note, there been any word from the creators about the release of episode 8 yet? The recent arc with Fizz has been good but I kind of want to get back to the I.M.P. gang again

Also have we ever gotten more than one episode in the same month before? One of the upcoming titles sounds somewhat Christmas related

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 3, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Episode #8 is releasing in April. Between then and now we'll be eating at the Hazbin hotel table to tide us over.

Ah, so the show’s going on hiatus for a bit while they work on Hazbin then. Makes sense, I’m looking forward to seeing where that goes too

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It still sucks they had to replace the excellent pilot cast but the new voices are fine for the most part (especially Charlie and Vaggie)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ll miss the old cast (especially when it comes to Angel and Alastor) but the new one seems fine (also this version has Keith David).

Nice to see some HB alumni jumping onboard as well even though we probably won’t see most of that group here except maybe the Sins

I liked the pilot and the trailer intrigued me so overall I’m looking forward to this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean we were probably never gonna see most of them anyway. maybe next season if everything goes well but i go by we see an ad or billboard or something for IMP and also like maybe a stolas or blitzo in a crowd shot.

As has been mentioned, some of the Sins might have a decent chance of showing up in Hazbin at least (especially since the trailer seems to imply things will eventually escalate into an all out war with the angels). I imagine we’ll finally see Charlie’s dad at some point as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

New Angel Dust song just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr1itWFugW0

I can definitely see why they went with the cast change. Lot less alteration than Addict to carry the tune.

Still a shame we lost Michael Kovach but I honestly like this a lot

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though HB didn’t really redo its pilot either when it went to series (in fact I think the only major change in between was that Millie and Stolas got new VAs).

But yeah, considering it’s been a couple years since the pilot released I would have assumed Hazbin would have more or less started from scratch given the premise

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what do you mean by this is basically incomprehensible if you haven’t seen the pilot ? Does it not start the story from the beginning or something?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

eldomtom2 posted:

It starts where the pilot left off, there's no attempt to retell the events of the pilot.

Huh, considering the pilot came out in 2019 that seems like a weird move

That aside what did you think of the show overall based on the leaked episodes, is it quite on the level of HB in terms of quality so far?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Has to be on somewhere and YouTube ain't gonna cut it for a big studio production.

Though HB could still push the limit in terms of spectacle when it wanted to (the recent Stolas music video for example) so I’ll be curious to see how much grander Hazbin will be visually with a full studio backing

Also once the show premieres do we have any idea how often new episodes are going to come out (I’m finally buying a Prime subscription exclusively for this series so I’m not sure how it normally works)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 12, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I haven't seen any of the episodes yet, but someone uploaded the little Vox/Alastor duet and it's quite a fun time. So far the music I've heard from the show, that song, Poison and Charlie's Happy Day in Hell song are all pretty excellent. And I'm someone who did not like the songs in the pilot and was not looking forward to the show being a musical with multiple numbers per episode. But if they're all this good, I'll happily be wrong.

Helluva Boss was technically a musical too though it didn’t have a song every episode (and both of them have a lot of the trappings of a Disney production only with more vulgarity)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

Watched the first two eps and I really like it so far! Watched it with my roommate who has only Helluva and not the Hazbin pilot and he seemed to follow it just fine? The songs rock so far

Wait, is the show available officially yet or is this still the leaked versions someone mentioned before? If the latter, could someone PM me a link/some info on where to watch them?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

The leaked eps showed up on my friend's plex server :shrug:

Gotcha, thanks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally broke down and watched the leaked episodes, while I still prefer a couple of the pilot VAs the new cast is pretty decent for the most part and I’m at least interested to see where this goes. Odd though that despite the pilot coming out in 2019 they decided to more or less continue straight off it rather than start fresh (which I could see being a bit off putting to new viewers). Apparently we’re getting at least two confirmed seasons out of this with the first consisting of 8 episodes

There’s also one more Helluva Boss alumni in this series so far aside from Blitz’s VA playing the newscaster (Adam is voiced by Alex Brightman)

Also this will be my first time watching something off of Prime Video so what’s their release schedule typically like and do they put out episodes one at a time or in batch format like Netflix (or if it varies from show to show do we have a release schedule for this series yet)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 14, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Alex Brightman is voicing Sir Pentious as well and James Monroe Iglehart is voicing the overlord Zestiel.

Interestingly, the latter actor actually had a bit part in the original pilot (he was one of the patrons at the bar)

Also not sure what some people were talking about earlier as Alastor’s voice filter is very much still present

The music and character writing is about on par with HB in my opinion which is a good sign

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 14, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Last Call posted:

I chuckled.

As for the leaked episodes, quite enjoyed them. It feels almost weird to get progression after what, four or five years. Wow Adam is a dick. And he's the original Adam? Yeah he ain't going to like Charlie due to who her mother and father is. Quite curious why Angels have horn like costumes. Originally I thought it was a bit of a mocking thing towards demons during the cull but they're wearing them in Heaven. None of the angels had been killed until now? Didn't expect that. The voices were all pretty great overall, Angel Dust sounds like the original VA for example. The others do a drat good job as well. Nifty is amusing. The only voice I actually hated was Katie Killjoy, it's bad, it's real bad. I actually thought they had given the wrong character the speaking line at first and it was meant to be her co host talking. The original VA was infinitely better.

So, Lilith has been missing for seven years. Alaster vanished seven years ago. Surely no connection there! Seems fans were a bit surprised by Valentino's characterization here. Overall I expect a fair amount of fandom backlash over certain scenarios, ships and the like some have worked up in their own minds in the several years since the pilot. Vox was cool.

I look forward to seeing how the show develops.

Katie is now played by Blitz’s VA for some reason (and I can definitely hear him in the performance), I agree it’s weird but everyone else sounds fine at least and I’m glad Alaster retains his voice filter contrary to what some in this thread thought based on the trailer.

The writing feels about on par with HB to me as well only this one’s even more of a musical (the songs so far are pretty good though). Definitely on board with this so far

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still find it odd they decided to just continue from where the pilot left off considering the former came out nearly 5 years ago but I like what I see so far. What time does Prime Video usually update?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Fridays, they update by twos I think?

Except this week where they're releasing the first 4 episodes at once, meaning we'll have the entire first season in just 3 weeks

A second season is already confirmed however (maybe more depending on how well the show does overall) and if I recall correctly Helluva Boss will resume in April

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 19, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, thought it didn't start until tomorrow. But yeah, the first 4 episodes are up on Prime right now.

I wonder if the early release was a bit of damage control for that weird fan animation someone spent 50K on recently

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 19, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caros posted:

Doubtful. Amazon has been doing that for a lot of their stuff (they did it for genV for example)

Overall as someone who didn't know a drat thing about this before the trailer dropped, I'd say it is pretty good. The angel stuff in particular was very well done.

The original pilot is canon and available on the creator’s YouTube page I will say so track that down if you need any extra context

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I got used to Vaggie after a while (her current actress apparently also played Gosalyn in the 2017 Ducktales series), but pretty much everyone else was fine though I do miss Michael Kovach as Angel (Keith David is always welcome however)

The only weird one to me was Brandon Rogers as Katie Killjoy (she just sounds like a higher pitched Blitz)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 19, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A few characters apparently got a slight redesign for the series proper (though I don’t really see much of a difference in regards to Charlie)

Speaking of, based on the trailer she’s apparently going to be leading an open rebellion against the Angels at some point so I look forward to seeing how that winds up going down

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 19, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I agree that Vaggie and Ivy have similar character traits such as being tough as nails and in love with a naive clown girl (well more like a mime in Charlie’s case). Plus, Harley Quinn Ivy is my favorite version of the character so no complaints here honestly.

And yeah, Vaggie being a fallen angel would make sense given what we’ve seen so far (also her full name Vagatha is apparently a real name that means “good woman” in Greek)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 19, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I wonder if we’re going to meet Lucifer and/or Lilith in the flesh at some point (official full body artwork is already out there for both of them after all).

But yeah, I imagine some of the Sins showing up is the closest we’re going to get to a crossover between the two shows (maybe an appearance by Stolas at the most)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Lucifer's going to be in episode five and play a big part in the ongoing plot. He's also a lot shorter than Charlie and Alastor dunks on him for it.

He’ll also be voiced by Jeremy Jordon it seems

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 20, 2024