Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I mean hell, for all the language and violence the show never comes across as mean spirited as so many other adult cartoons do.
It's clear the creators love the show and all its characters and just want their audience to have a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, thats kinda like it. its dark and can be hosed up. but the characters actually like each other or at least respect each other. also most of the antagonists are fun. also M and M actually love each other, so it doesnt turn into the beth and jerry hate off poo poo like in every other show.

Yeah, exactly, nearly all of the characters and their interactions are meant to be enjoyable.
A big part of this is when the crew behind the the two shows create a character they are actually creating a character.

They have personalities, a purpose and a fun, if busy, design.
You just need to look at crowd shots to see just how much fun they have designing characters.

Compare that to something like say Family Guy and how it treats the overweight.

Crowds of them all look virtually identical, staring dull eyed while they gasp, fart and eat candy.
They exist purely as a fat joke.

That's not too say fat jokes can't be funny, early Simpsons had some great ones, like Homer eating all the donuts in hell or being constantly outwitted by pie.

But Family couldn't care less about creating characters or telling jokes, they just think fat people are gross and they'll use any excuse to let their audience know.

But Helluva Boss never does that, it's rude and crude, but it's shockingly....I dunno....wholesome?

That's a weird as hell way to describe Helluva Boss, but at the end of the day, I want nothing but the best for these stupid violent children.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I have to say, I like how they handled Queen Bee.

Often when it comes to the "romantic rival" writers make them, at best, people who are secretly awful, or at worst, overtly awful.
Usually it's because otherwise the audience might realize that the protagonist trying to break up a relationship to get with one of them is a really lovely thing too do.

So I like that they made her one of the nicer people in hell, not flawless, but someone you can see actually making the protagonists love interest happy.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

You'll get Funko Pops and you'll like it!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Personally I would have just said thank you and then have been like "Oh, if any one else wants to help make Lackadaisy a thing, here's the link"

But I suppose accusing another person who worked their rear end off and actually managed to "make it" of flaunting their wealth when they try to help you is cool too.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

On the one hand I'm glad to see an era where creators can easily interact with their fans.

On the other hand I kind of miss the days where the angriest, dumbest motherfuckers in the world couldn't spend all day, every day, screaming at show runners or making multi-hour long videos where they scream about show runners.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 3, 2023

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

The pilot is a really good example of why traditionally we didn't get to see a show's pilot episode until either people were sure it wouldn't get picked up, or until the show had already established itself.

They tend to be really weak when compared to the show proper, particularly after it's had a few episodes, or even a season or two too refine itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, the reasons the imps at IMP don't use glamour magic to appear human is

A) It's funny as hell.

B) It's more fun for both the writers and artists to come up with new scenarios and costumes every time they go to Earth rather than just giving them a human form.