Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AlternateNu posted:

I feel pretty much the same way. Wasn't the best episode. Moxxie was at his most annoying and neurotic which was a big put off. And I have a visceral hatred of the valley girl archetype, so that only compounded the issue. Millie's stuff was good but still revolved around her relationship with Moxxie which...bleh.

Blitzo's deal was obviously more set up than anything, but they kind of half-assed making it plot relevant but obviously not fully fleshed out and it just kind of fails to be satisfying if not interesting at least. Guess we'll see.

I sorta agree, I kinda like that it shows the shittier side of moxxie by showing him as kinda of a self important dick who goes full theater kid and wants to be the center of attention and he can’t admit that his plan won’t work. It also shows why blitz is sorta an important dynamic and keeps his ego in check. Apperently a ton of people are deeply offended by the joke at the end. People are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What, where Blitz calls him a loving disgrace? Because he's right, Moxxie took the job and spent a full week playing dress up instead.

Yeah, weird dynamics in this episode. But the imps all getting hit full in the face with a bag of powdered heroin was funny, and the incest joke at the end as well.

possibly the incest joke. also the councilor and barbie also the camp name. least from what i see.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It does feel like some of these people have graduated from MLP and Owl House and the like and are suddenly learning that crude adult humour exists. It's not even the most egregious example, there's plenty of moments in South Park and various Adult Swim shows that go way harder.

yeah thats the thing, Helluva boss has dark and crude humor but its pretty light least for some weird gently caress like me, like aqua teen is way darker and obviously south park and stuff like moral orel and etc.

mycomancy posted:

A South Park episode exists where the whole punchline is that environmentalism and working towards a better future is gayer than a huge pile of dudes all loving each other. Nothing Viv has ever made is as controversial as a mid South Park episode from 15 years ago.

i think south parks messages suck alot(insert all the various arguments and etc), but i think the message of that episode was basically "the adults are afraid of not being white anymore and having equality, so they gently caress each other out of a better world".

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm starting to feel like there are a lot of people that need to pick something that isn't the R rated cartoon to watch :shrug:

Like, did they have the same complaint for episode 1 when the elementary schoolers saw two adults loving and then the subsequent murder/suicide?

who knows. I think alot of online folks who are like who are younger(like teens 20s) basically view fandoms and shows and etc as things that provide moral instruction and need to always say the right thing always. so when you have hosed up mean jokes, thats bad.

Macaluso posted:

The camp name is the wildest one, because the complaint was like UHHH AND THIS IS A CAMP WITH MINORS??? which is loving dumb of course, no one whined about Ms Chokesondick in South Park being the name of an elementary school teacher. It's just another thing to find something to hate Viv about, not actually something legitimate

yeah, i think viv is just popular to hate now and some of these weirdos are desperate for some kinda "vivian molests kids or is bigot" type news. like you can just not like the show, you dont have to act like spindle horse are the GOP or something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pulsarcat posted:

I mean hell, for all the language and violence the show never comes across as mean spirited as so many other adult cartoons do.
It's clear the creators love the show and all its characters and just want their audience to have a fun time.

yeah, thats kinda like it. its dark and can be hosed up. but the characters actually like each other or at least respect each other. also most of the antagonists are fun. also M and M actually love each other, so it doesnt turn into the beth and jerry hate off poo poo like in every other show.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 10, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pulsarcat posted:

Yeah, exactly, nearly all of the characters and their interactions are meant to be enjoyable.
A big part of this is when the crew behind the the two shows create a character they are actually creating a character.

They have personalities, a purpose and a fun, if busy, design.
You just need to look at crowd shots to see just how much fun they have designing characters.

Compare that to something like say Family Guy and how it treats the overweight.

Crowds of them all look virtually identical, staring dull eyed while they gasp, fart and eat candy.
They exist purely as a fat joke.

That's not too say fat jokes can't be funny, early Simpsons had some great ones, like Homer eating all the donuts in hell or being constantly outwitted by pie.

But Family couldn't care less about creating characters or telling jokes, they just think fat people are gross and they'll use any excuse to let their audience know.

But Helluva Boss never does that, it's rude and crude, but it's shockingly....I dunno....wholesome?

That's a weird as hell way to describe Helluva Boss, but at the end of the day, I want nothing but the best for these stupid violent children.

yeah helluva boss is never Hateful. its edgy and kinda mean at times, but its more like smiling friends then rick and morty.

its more the world can be mean and antagonists can be hosed up psychos but the show is pretty explicit that they are hosed up losers. Stryker is a egotitical dickhead who gets thrown off really easly, Stella is narsstic moron who doesn't think two steps ahead in a plan because she lets spite dictate everything, even when it would be in her best interest to just leave. Krims is mobster who is control freak sociopath who is desperate enough straights to get hoodwinked by some fuckboy ex employee. but like the main cast do actually like each other in their own way.

also sorta releated. I love krims expression. it has some genuin menace https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1BfO7VlIw4&t=1387s like you know chaz had a very very very bad couple days after that where the best part was him dying.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, I enjoy watching a show where I don't feel like the creators have nothing but contempt for me and want to spit in my face.

Obi Wan and Picard spring to mind.

Agree about Picard but I liked obi wan a lot least the last half.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/wolfnanaki/status/1678851468277829632?s=46 More drama and conspiracy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Good lord. All Erica did was take a social media break because AI bros were hounding her about her quite reasonably not wanting somebody to use her voice in an AI generated song and not, to quote a goon in Video Games, steal her voice like a sea witch in a children's movie. Their "complaint" was it wasn't making any money so it was harmless.

apperently also she had some really tragic poo poo happen in her personal life recently(not sure on specifics) but yeah that didnt help. I love loving around with voice AI for weird dumb memes/poo poo from dead cartoons but like ehh.

AlternateNu posted:

I seriously hope this thread doesn't turn into the Viv Drama thread. Can we make an agreement to not repost assholes being assholes to her?

I like these shows. I don't want to dread coming in here to hear about internet drama second hand.

good point. i wont as much unless it gets big or is genuinly weirdly funny, the issue is until a new episode drops/Hazbin ad campaign starts, stuff will be somewhat slow.

Flopsy posted:

Velma is one of those breathtaking things where every single moment is just soaked through with raw unfiltered contempt. Both for the audience and the source material. And it's even weirder with all the producers and writers going around talking about how much they love the show and its characters. Mindy was especially atrocious about it because she has no loving clue who or what the character she's portraying is but claims Velma is her favorite. Imagine if you will you got called to play your favorite comfort character from your childhood and your way of showing it is by portraying them as the most hateful and most hated creature you can imagine. That's Mindy's deal and I still don't get what the end game was. Why even bother? Why put the energy in? There's a mystery for ya.

because she misread the room/is an idiot and thinks uber contrarian cyncism is still in, its not, even rick and morty and south park have backed off of that a bunch because its boring and people hate it. like i think a dark comedy scooby do could work, its just you would have to like the characters and make it interesting instead of just make it lazy and mean and "look we made them POC now so we are woke or something".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inJUFqeJehE
this is only 4 min and does it better.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Her husband died last year. I think it was cancer?

i believe so, i think it was more recent sadly. I am not sure. I dont follow the personal lives of these people. I heard about it from a discord chat. i know the reasons she isnt in as much of season 2 is because of budget, they recorded most of season 2 two years ago.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 12, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Viv confirmed as much

https://twitter.com/lukacopelli/status/1678873301937012736?s=46&t=Fgeawy8q1j1l1WnsKnAIjg

She also mentions how Kesha and Norman Reedus didn't actually cost more than the regular cast

i can believe that. neither of them seem like greedy psychos who want a couple mill for an part in an indie animations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MJeff posted:

"Didn't cost more than the regular cast"

Confirmed: The guy from Invader Zim costs 2 mil an episode.

honestly i still find it weirdly nuts that moxxie is basicaly just his regular voice. not an insult. sorta cool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I said it in the other thread but he's the kind of voice actor where he rarely does more than just his one voice, but he puts little changes and inflections and different ways of saying things so the characters all still seem distinct. Dagget and Zim and Moxxie all talk very specific ways despite having the same voice

Yeah, dudes an artist. He really conveys moxxie as the put upon office schlub who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and wife guy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I don't know if you can label that whole thing a rivalry, yet. Loona's got a crush. We're not in love triangle territory yet.

Yeah, I took it more as loona is super socially awkward with people and reacts really badly when she feels threatened. Her actions in the show and previous parties. Then the dude who she has a crush on is bf of a greater demon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Viv posted a preview for an upcoming ep featuring on her Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu2_4s-pd6-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

lol fun times ahead. also summer sale will probably hit tonight or next week. so thats nice.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I've heard it said, only half jokingly, that this is what going to an Ivy League school does to a person.

that christ i went to a state school.

MJeff posted:

I'm amused at the idea that dealing heroin in hell is totally honest, upstanding work because it's basically about as strong tylenol to them.

i like that Hell is just here but shittier with shittier moral sytems and poo poo. it reminds me of a mix of barker and burton. i like it. but then again i kinda view hell as like that and only small hopes to string you along until you die again or something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

isn't that kind of unfair to the other nominees? I don't really watch any of those others but at a cursory glance they're about what I would expect from personal or small time animation channels while this show is practically in the big leagues fit to compete with any other real cartoon

i feel like meatcanyon is like a year too late. his stuff can be pretty good but his peak was like 2 years ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvLP1stpyhm/?img_index=1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CupK5Q7J_KL/?img_index=1

anyway. i had some extra cash and kinda commisioned my custom stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Look at those guys :kimchi:

I have a jingle(the little reindeer dude) a stolas from another artist, a Luna, a Octavia and Collin. I’ll try to post some pictures later of them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I need Helluva Boss to get big enough that they start making Helluva Boss Nenderoids, I need one of each of the main 5 immediately

I think hazbin takes off, especially if it’s good and the various strikes keep knew big shows from launching. So probably in another year or two. Also new sale. https://sharkrobot.com/collections/vivziepop

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pulsarcat posted:

You'll get Funko Pops and you'll like it!

I think shark robot kinda has the monopoly unless you have extra cash to spring for like good fan made poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

https://twitter.com/mistmistly/status/1684640915061870593?s=46&t=A2dAs186kc-kFL1y5YrbkA

This was in response to Viv posting that she donated $5k to the Lackadaisy Kickstarter on behalf of herself and the Spindlehorse team. The reason it's extra lovely is because it's someone on the Lackadaisy team. Viv has been super vocal about animation not being a competition and has supported Lackadaisy since day one, and it's wild that not only is someone still hating on her, it's someone working on Lackadaisy itself. Especially dumb considering people are working on one that have worked on the other

Yeah that person is probably fired. Like I like both shows, I am probably gonna add more money to my backer kit. But like how can this dipshit be so dumb.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tristesse posted:

It's such a shame that there's any drama at all towards either of those shows. They're both great and should both exist and people getting super mad about cartoons should chill out.

its this weird thing people look toward media as kinda of weird replacement for morality and ideals and people get ultra loving partisan over it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pulsarcat posted:

Personally I would have just said thank you and then have been like "Oh, if any one else wants to help make Lackadaisy a thing, here's the link"

But I suppose accusing another person who worked their rear end off and actually managed to "make it" of flaunting their wealth when they try to help you is cool too.

yeah this. "thank you so much for the support from another creator, here is the link if you too want to help us"

Happy Landfill posted:

jfc :cripes:

Would love to be in on that work call

oh me too.

whats funny is i have autographs from both viv and lackadaisy lady. so i win. also peter weller.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

People being petty assholes to Viv just makes me wanna support her stuff more. The Streisand Effect works!

yeah, i bought the loo loo land shirt and hate yesteday plus a stolas shirt. though i am probably waiting for halloween for the best sale.

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1684968108900159488

https://twitter.com/Angeru_Crafts/status/1684944313526964224

i still think viv or the merch team should hire this lady to the design the premium plushes. all the HB poo poo is mine lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm glad it seems like fans are mostly really positive and supportive, but man the assholes are just relentless at her. Like that idiot that would not stop hounding* her because she didn't actually name the jock hellhound with three lines from Bee's party. Like, she blocked them and they just started a new account to continue harassing her until she gave the hellhound some bullshit name just to get people off her back.

like, gently caress, go outside!

*pun intended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4jaNWQUeRU

touch grass the song.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

anyway. new actual news.

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1686066475474567168

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm loving stoked for 207 holy poo poo

i hope Opps is just about all the horrible accident or whatever that happened to fizz.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mono3o2iJxI

i love some of the weird fan creation poo poo.

ai audio poo poo bad, but i chuckled at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDaBr4KZAi0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

People know that actors arnt their characters right? Like I met Peter weller at a con and I just talked to him about art. He was cool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

in stephen king’s book danse macabre, which was written in 1981, he recalls an anecdote where a Star Trek actor (forget which) offhandedly mentioned at a con that he wasn’t his character in real life, at which point one middle aged woman stood up in tears and screamed that he was a liar

Sad. Probably Nemoy.

Anyway how are these people this dumb. https://twitter.com/ladiesman217g/status/1686419378852581386?s=46

https://twitter.com/vivziepop/status/1686854233189122055?s=46

You know there are probably like 50 more episodes of the show right? Like lol.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Viv.

Put down twitter Viv.

yeah, as fun as it is to see her dunk on morons, she really needs to stop feeding them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

The amount of times I want to shake people and say, "the show isn't done yet!!!!!" when they start complaining about dropped storylines in a show that's still ongoing is too many to count.

Dropping entire seasons of a show in one go was a mistake

edit: also, really, the cannibal family??

Yeah, idk. Like they will bring back the cherubs and dhorks at some point but like have these guys ever watched poo poo like game of thrones or honestly any show where plots arnt wrapped up in an episode or a season. It took like 3 seasons to bring gendry back. Like gently caress me. I hate how loving awful media criticism is. It’s either this or weird nazi poo poo. Or weird poo poo where people get offended by anything and screaming pernicious. And good critics like Lindsay Elise get chased away.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The wildest one so far is the guy, directly talking to Viv herself on Twitter, that he had seen leaks and so he knows they aren't bringing up stuff like Dhorks or the cherubs. They have since deleted those tweets but the sheer gall to @ the creator of a show and just so casually mention the leaks you saw

I didn’t read them but not shocked. Like anyone with half a brain realizes that this season is “ok let’s crank up the emotional pressure on stolas and blitzo and see if they admit blitz0 can admit his feelings and try to better poo poo or will they go separate ways, also setting up more plots with the found family. Also krim is so much better villian than some joke characters. He has some actual menace. I also love people bitching about Stryker being “retconned”, like he always been like that, it’s just the show was taking the piss out of him as much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

It's shocking how much media literacy has gone down the drain. I know parts of this fandom skews a little young but it's like, have some of you never experienced any form of serial storytelling? Ever?? One of these episodes are going to end on a legit cliffhanger and people are going to be insenced, like, "what do you mean they just cut the episode off like that???"

I partly blame media literacy critics and such pivoting toward "why doesnt thing agree with my politics or morality" or really black and white views as well as the rise of the Matt patt types and shows and games then catering to the crowed.
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2021/02/satanic-panics-and-the-death-of-mythos
this article covers alot of this poo poo why stuff so dumb in politics and media.

Happy Landfill posted:

It's like, have any of you ever had to wait for the next book in a series you like? A new chapter of manga? Anything?? Are you even old enough to had to wait for Steven Universe Bombs? The hostility of this fandom absolutely baffles me. The fandom for a two year old show should not be as jaded and aggressive towards the creator as the ASOIAF fandom is towards George RR Martin

yeah like they treating it like the show just ended. the show has again like maybe 40 or so more episodes give or take. again alot of them are used to shows doing full lore poo poo and then getting patted on the head for guessing poo poo. whats funny is i guessed stolas would die in season 1. lol guess i hate the show now.

Bussamove posted:

Hey now, the real deranged parts had a couple years before that to really distill themselves down into hatred elementals with nothing but the pilot and fandom poo poo. :v:

yeah as much as i think hazbin will be good. its nuts how big and nuts it is over like a rough(but fun) 20 min pilot and some podcast interviews.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of discussion in another thread about how GRRM may have written himself into a corner trying to surprise the audience that guessed where his foreshadowing was going to go, and how Westworld hosed itself over because the writers cared more about showing off how smart they are than writing a good or coherent story. A certain kind of fandom brain sees stories as puzzles to be solved or documentaries of otherworldly events, and struggles when understanding anything that requires them to think of it as a piece of fictional artifice.

I'm not sure whether the previously discussed people who freak out when fiction isn't properly morally instructive or provides their exact desired flavour of comfort and catharsis on command is the opposite end of the spectrum or what, though maybe just a different kind of idiocy manifest of a similar dysfunctional mindset.

Funny thing with Striker and Crimson is that their silliness doesn't actually make them less dangerous- in fact a big part of their menace is because they're off-balance and unpredictable and lack the redeeming features the wacky violent protagonists have. Crimson is used to being unquestioned and doubles down on bad decisions violently where even Blitzo would change tack or cut his losses, and Striker is a violent opportunist who gets a mariachi band singing along because he's kind of able to live up to the hype (besides in the trousers department, probably) but his ego also means he falls victim to classic villain pitfalls of not just shooting his target.

Also I get the feeling Stolas has a major rescue kink with Blitzo now.

i have seen it on both sides of the spectrum, the chuds are just louder and dumber about it. most of the lefty/woke type ones are either really anal culture critic types or pissed off too online tumblr/twitter teens who feel like anything bad that a character does should be loudly condemed because they dont understand anything that isnt a fog horn.

its like people who genuinly bought into strykers bullshit in his first appearence of being some tough rebel who totatlly meant what he said and wasnt just a skilled but preening douche. then when the show makes it super loving explicit. they get mad and scream retcon. i want to say people don't understand subtley this days but it wasnt even subtle.

also i like crimson, he has alot of desperate sociopathic menance. I feel like he is relativly "small" fish in greed's ocean and the years havent been kind to his little empire, so he snatches at whatever oppertunity he can. so he buys chaz's bullshit and that was that. then chaz had a day where the best part of it was when he died.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 4, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I don't hate continuity and worldbuilding myself but not every show has to be 100 percent holistic towards the building of DEEP LORE or something. Sometimes they just wanna tell a joke about Loona going to a vet because she is a dog and that's fine.

Yeah, i think the world has lore and world building but it’s not like rule lawyer about it. It works way better if you have read Clive barker and his versions of hell. Because it’s a lot like this but more body horror. Hell is another dimension where god or something dumps shitheads and the natives are either born there or from the good place. Etc.

Also.

https://twitter.com/mitchelmirafox/status/1688351402769440768?s=46 Good poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

That's amazing lol Now I'm going to have that stuck in my head

Sorry for the reddit link but Viv posted another preview featuring Fizz, happy and whole, and I'm sure nothing bad will ever happen to him

https://www.reddit.com/r/HelluvaBoss/comments/15lr3a0/wake_up_it_looks_like_more_helluvaboss_can_come/

nah, he is hosed up in that. he isnt wearing make up and has no arms/legs. his face got burned bad. loving jester vader

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

My guess is some kind of trapeezing accident that Blitzo hosed up and caused Fizzerolli to fall into a vat of acid or something (with Blitzo taking some splash damage from that). I'm guessing acid just because we know that Imps are immune to fire, although maybe it's special hellfire idk

Also someone pointed it out on Twitter, but he was definitely doing circus stuff when it happened because the only part of his face that wasn't burned is his nose, where his clown nose would be

yeah it will be interesting at least. I am not a big fizz fan but he will probably grow on me like stryker

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

ozzie doesn’t strike me as the type to go that far out of his way to torment someone so I wonder if he paid stolas a house call for romantic advice

Maybe. I also like how it shows how small fish stolas is in the scheme of things. He is some 10th son of a higher ranked noble. He is powerful as gently caress but he is a candle compared to a lot of folks. Same with alastor.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Seeing this has me flashing back to this absolutely idiotic post from the subreddit from a few days ago

Please add "getting mad at episodes that are not even out yet" to the pile of Helluva Boss Fans Making Up Reasons To Be Mad And Then Making A Post About It

I like this. More of this

there is some insane poo poo talking about how Hazbin has been canceled and how BIG A24 is disgusted by vivs behavior and its such weird poo poo.

also stolas and moxxie should arrive this week will post when they arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/IMPmurderpros/status/1691955231486259241

my guess is next weekend or so.

got the new plushes today. will take a pic of stolas later