Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Adder Moray posted:

So we all agree Adam's going to respawn in hell, right? Would actually make something click. Angels don't generally die and sinners don't generally put in the work to be redeemed. So the last step to getting "reassigned" being "you die again" makes some logical sense.

I was thinking the same thing. It would make a lot of sense, but would raise questions about people who already been killed and weren't reassigned. Are they super dead because they died again in their proper place or is there more to it? Not sure. When you introduce true death and afterlifes, these questions always get raised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Luficer has a keyblade.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I heard some odd discourse yesterday. Some individuals were mad that Husk was a slave to Alastor. They felt that having "the only black character on the show" be a slave was a problem. The discourse then shifted to saw Alastor was a mentor to Charlie and how "bad it is a slaver is the main character's mentor."

It kind of boggled my brain a bit. Husk isn't the only black character on the show, for one. There is Vee and Alastor, both are PoC. I don't know if Alastor is black, but I know he isn't white. Technically, Vee is a hellborn but I feel she is black coded. Also, Husk isn't really black coded. He was originally played by Mick Lauer, who is Caucasian, and the idea of him having sold his soul was true then. Husk only became black when the actor changed to Keith David, because Mick couldn't sing and Keith for sure can. So, it wasn't a racially motivated decision. Then, there is the fact Husk isn't the only character who is enslaved and the story focuses a lot more on Angel being enslaved. And calling it enslavement is technically true, but also a bit misleading. Demons doing contract magic to collect souls is just Christian folklore and, while slavery can describe it, it is a bit off to compare it to real world slavery. There is an attempt by the show to compare it to real world things, but that is drug addiction and debt slavery, respectfully, which is a different beast all together.

I can go on, but it just felt like a bad faith reading of the show.

Unrelated, my friend sent me this article but it's a 52 minute read so I didn't read it. Still, thought I'd share it. It's a critical review of the show: https://ponett.medium.com/my-own-personal-hell-thoughts-on-hazbin-hotel-1b226af317f5

Covok
May 27, 2013

Crain posted:

This is one of those really annoying things about fandoms where you just can't win. Conflating the race of an actor and their part if not explicitly stated is a bit weird. Like, was the Arbiter from Halo black because Keith David voiced him? Was Goliath from Gargoyles? With a show like HH race fails to track 1:1 and with very few exceptions we don't really know what anyone looked like as a Human before reaching hell. Also there's no real answer for hellborn or heavenborn characters beyond "They're an Imp, Hellhound, Cherub, etc".

Also, this is one of those things that really ticks me off: People really can't separate morality when it comes to their anti-heros or favorite villains. Alastor is an "ally" but he's clearly 100% a villain in the story. He's a bad dude, he's completely loving EVIL. Why wouldn't he enslave people? That's literally one of his main power sets. The pilot calls it out explicitly and the show demonstrates it implicitly (and still pretty explicitly, short of saying the words "deal maker") that making a "deal" with a demon like him is a capital B, capital T, BAD THING. This is a show dealing with very heavy subject matter mixed in with it's funny foul language and raunchy jokes. I hate when fans get bent out of shape about "oh why would you have [explicit terrible villain] do [explicit terrible villain poo poo]!?". because that's characterization and it's needed in the story. It's very weird that fans will just gloss over the whole "He was a serial killer in life and in Hell" but focus in on him enslaving other demons as a part of his deal making as what is a bridge too far.

The question of God is literally one of the central plot points in the show at this point. It'll be interesting to see what the story decides to go with when it comes to Jesus Christ. Especially considering there's a very heavy bend towards an Old Testament way of things right now. I personally kinda figured that would play into the whole "How did Adam get into Heaven if he was the first sinner" question, but they decided to bypass that for this season.

That was the thing I forgot to mention in my original post: "Alastor is also clearly just using Charlie's naivete to his own ends and Charlie is even aware of this to a degree but allows it because it serves her goals." Because that's another element that makes the read bad faith: it's not like Charlie unequivocally loves Alastor. She fears him when they first meet and, even during the song and dance number with Lucifer, I feel she is just happy that one of the sinners is show signs of trying to be better and is too invested on this being the case to realize Alastor is just trying to gently caress with Lucifer. Alastor is a bad guy, Charlie seems him as useful and hopes she can redeem him, Alastor knows this and plays her because of it. Consider how Charlie talk to Alastor when she is emotionally vulnerable and doesn't have the effort to put up the front when Alastor comes to her bedroom. She is apprehensive, calls him a sadist, tells him he isn't interested in having him mock her today, and is scared of making a deal. She only turns around when she realizes Alastor does have the means to help her achieve her goals and totally views it as "this is a bad idea but I got no choice." It's really bad faith to call Alastor Charlie's mentor. He does want to mentor her, but he is clearly doing it for an evil goal, since he explicitly says he wants to guide her to his own ends and gets giddy when she almost breaks and declares that she's like an Overlord of Hell. Alastor knows he can't be stronger than Lucifer no matter how many souls he can collect because Lucifer has angelic power, which is explicitly and consistently shown to trump demonic power.. But, so does Charlie and he can use her to obtain power from behind the throne. That's my read, anyway.

Also, I absolutely HATE how people just absolutely conflate an author writing about something as endorsing it. I despise that so much. Yes, be careful with sensitive subject matter. Yes, it is a bad bit of tone and kind of offensive to do the Sir Pentious joke and Angel Dust's story in the same show. But don't then go and think this means the creator's endorse sexual assault or something. It's very, very loving common for people want good media to be from good media and bad media from bad people and they will force things to fit that narrative. If the show is bad, then the creator is bad. If the creator is bad, the show is bad. If the show is good, then the creator is good. If the creator is good, the show is good. People twist themselves into knotts trying to force the world to match this simple narrative. The world is a lot messier than that. Bad people can make good things. That doesn't mean you should consume the good thing because it supports bad people. But it's important to understand that because, otherwise, you will become a stan gaslighting yourselves into thinking the creator couldn't have done the bad thing because you like the show. And a good show can make a misstep while trying to tell a good story or have a good moral because people aren't perfect and sometimes make mistakes. AND SOMETIMES having even the good characters in your story do a bad thing is necessary for the story you want to tell and the theme you are trying to impart and it doesn't condemn the writer or the character and it has a lot more to do with how the story treats the element and how the writer wants to portray it that shows what their real intentions are.

Theris posted:

I ain't fuckin reading all that, but I did scan it. It's mildly amusing if only because part is that the show is bad because it's rote "tumblr bait," and part is shallow analysis of all the ways it's "problematic" that wouldn't be he least bit out of place on tumblr. Without a hint of irony or self-awareness.

Edit: The presence of St. Peter also suggests (confirms?) that Christ exists in this universe.

Yeah, I scanned enough of the article to get that contradiction. It struck me as really odd to be like "it's like all those tumblr projects somehow happened and its bad because its tumblr" when, like, if young creators are making stuff and communicating with each other and sharing design notes then, yeah, eventually you'll see that reflected in mainstream media. Like, of course, some shows would start looking like a tumblr character design blog because, well, young people eventually get jobs in the mainstream industries and will eventually be trusted to helm a show. And, sure, they might sometimes get watered down designs to fit a "corporate look" like what happened to Steven Universe (though, I think that might have been practicality too) but eventually the designs are just going to reflect what young creators like to make.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hazin Hotel could benefit from a midquel, even if that would never happen, where they fill in the time between like episode 4 and 5 with more poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lucifer is as powerful as he is because he is one of the elders of Heaven. Likely, Lucifer can't start a real war with heaven because there are other elders of heaven who are just as powerful, if not more so, than him. But, he always had the power to gently caress things up but no drive to even try due to his depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's also a ton of twitter drama addicts from the Tumblr diaspora who got worse. (Apparently they tried to return to Tumblr but got told to gently caress off, lol) They're lunatic grifters who try to turn literally everything into a cause celebre and have only gotten worse at it.

Is there some greater goal or is just about stirring the pot?