Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Directed by Christopher McQuarrie (some previous M:I movies, Jack Reacher, and The Way of the Gun :eyepop:, screenplay for Top Gun Maverick)
Cast
Rebecca Ferguson
Tom Cruise
Hayley Atwell
Pom Klementieff
Vanessa Kirby
Simon Pegg
Shea Whigham
Ving Rhames

What the fuuuuuck how did I see the move before everyone else apparently? I was really failing to do anything productive today so messaged a friend if he wanted to go check out a movie, and turned out they were already screening this. The poster clearly says July 14 so for once my shithole country doesn't have to wait weeks after the international premiere. The 8pm show wasn't 100% full but pretty well occupied.

Non-spoiler review: it's a lot of fun, basically like previous M:I movies or Top Gun, so if you liked those, you'll almost certainly like this as wall. It has Tom Cruise running a lot, great action set pieces, car chases, lots of fights, very impressive stunts, obviously. Some minor criticism is the premise feels somewhat convoluted and requires :techno: exposition that doesn't always make sense; the movie is also pretty long and while I never found it dull or boring, still, it's 2:45 hours with a lot going on, unlike e.g. Maverick which was more direct.

I wasn't following the production super closely (besides the stunt hype) so I only realized there are two parts when I saw the title on the cinema booking page. It definitely leaves the story largely unresolved (but not a silly cliffhanger) and it looks like we'll have to wait a year for the next part.

(USER WAS AUTOBANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol thread unlocked.

I these movies are such stupid fun

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is Kittridge a villain?

Does anything in this movie tie back to the first one?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does anything in this movie tie back to the first one?

Tom Cruise and Ving Rhames are in it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how after all the times IMF has been dissolved Kittridge is still around.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Should’ve gone whole hog and have Kittridge get owned by an aquarium at some point in the movie.

Movie was extremely good, but I am done with everything being over 2.5 hours now

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Did you guys know Cruise does his own stunts

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Mola Yam posted:

He’s quite good at it!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Really wanna know what Cruise's insurance premiums are.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I appreciate that OPself-destructed upon posting, keeping with the spirit of the franchise

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Cruise calling The Entity basically God and having him outside the Vatican trying to literally kill God is some nice subtext

Good movie

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

Maybe some day he'll learn to act too

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Why would you want that?

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I'm gonna go watch this tonight.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Just watched this in 4DX the action was pretty fun, the first desert fight was immersive, the Italy driving sequence and the final action sequence was also really sick in motion. The only problem is this movie is Tom Cruise running, Tom Cruise driving and Tom Cruise on a bike like every Tom Cruise produced movie, interspersed with enough exposition to a boring plot whichironically enough could've been written by AI to fill an unnecessary two parter. Especially when no one is going to remember the plot when the next movie comes out and it needs a recap anyway. It's like 3hr 30 long or some poo poo. Funny moment was near the end when a dude walked out loudly saying he needed a cigarette after the final set piece. Turned out to be fantastic timing

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just saw this in IMAX and had a great time watching it, the final set piece especially. Story was pretty mid though and it's hard for me to get excited about an AI antagonist. I just rewatched Fallout last night and couldn't help but compare Esai Morales with Henry Cavill the entire time. Cavill just had so much more charisma in what is definitely a superior film and they just didn't do enough to flesh out the story of how Hunt and Gabriel first met for me to really care about him at all. A longer flash back scene at the beginning with whoever the gently caress Maria was would have helped a lot I think.

The movie is really quite funny though and I think Hayley Atwell is a great addition to the cast as someone with really no actual spy skills which contrasted quite nicely with Ilsa being the hyper competent agent who just didn't know when to just retire already god dammit!

Minor gripe but like what was going on with the cinematography every time two characters were having a conversation? Shot reverse shot all tight close ups except every time cutting back to a different angle or character is now on the opposite side of the screen. There's a Luther-Hunt scene where it's just so weird and distracting. Every time they cut back to Rhames and he's looking off in some other direction. An obviously conscious choice but I wasn't really a fan.

Anyway, a good time at the theater. Also I got a free poster, so that's pretty cool.

7/10

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

With Kittridge back is there any of actual spy movie paranoia vibe the first one had? Still my favourite of the series.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

stratdax posted:

With Kittridge back is there any of actual spy movie paranoia vibe the first one had? Still my favourite of the series.

There is but the series has been primarily capital A Action films since 4 at the least and this is no exception. There's enough intrigue, back stabbing, and treachery happening to be satisfying though. I would have liked a little more.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My mate and I just got back from the movie. We're big fans of the franchise and were looking forward to it greatly.

What the gently caress was that? The movie was a complete disaster. My non-spoler gripes to begin with:

• The first time the green screen/CG was notibly distracting.
  • I know McQuarry has been pretty candid around the fact they think of the set pieces/stunts they want to do and then write a story around it, but this was the first time it really showed. Just a complete hodge-podge of set pieces
  • What a boring loving villain. Completely unthreatening Benicio Del Toro wannabe. How do you go from the amazing Sean Harris performance to that?
  • So many painfully boring matrix-esque Architect conversations
  • Did Ving Rhames suffer a brain aneurism or something? Every single one of his line readings was a combination of cringe and clunk. This guy used to be suave as gently caress and just oozed cool.

Now for the more spoiler filled gripes.
  • The AI poo poo is dumb as hell. I get that it's supposed to be a super advanced AI but all this "the AI has predicted it" stuff like it's some sort of God/Fate/Magical Fortune teller is just loving stupid. What were the dramatic stakes of the whole screensaver room? Why did one of the women have to die? Why would anyone listen to that goober.
  • The killing of Rebecca Ferguson is an absolute travesty. Why do it? Atwell's performance was fine (although it annoyed the gently caress out of me that she kept running away/leaving Ethan for dead), but why couldn't that have been Ilsa doing all that instead? There was no reason to introduce the new character and no reason Ilsa couldn't have been doing all that stuff. I get that Atwell's character was a bit more of damsel in distress at times, but they could have just had Ilsa get a broken arm or some poo poo so she needed Ehtan's help for certain things and nothing would have been different. Also, how the gently caress did she lose to that chump on the bridge. She's a) badass and b) had a freaking samurai sword.
  • How many times can we go back to the "i picked their pocket" well? Jesus christ, think of something new.
  • The Yemen scene made no sense. You can hidge behind a sand dune when the enemy is 20m away, but you can't when they are 100 metres away. How did they not see him? Also, Ilsa was in front of Ethan getting the reflective signal with the bad guys in between and the storm was behind him. How did he ride into the storm to get away whilst also riding towards Ilsa. DUMB.
  • Why was running on the airport roof? Where was he going? Why did the scene just end?
  • Are we to expect that a train collided with the car, launching Ethan out holding on to the steering wheel?
  • That alleyway fight scene was an unintelligible mess. Was the supposed to be the equivalant of the amazing Henry Cavill bathroom fight? Ooof.
  • I'm all for suspending disbelief and just going along with the story, but when you the plot literally has Ethan explicitly saying "I don't want any country to have access to this weapon, I'll destroy it." and then also state that "the key is a critical failsafe" why not just DESTROY THE loving KEY? The whole plan was dumb as hell.
  • Why did the girl from Guardians save Ethan on the train? So dumb. Why not just make it the Shea Whigham character or something.

I could keep going, but i'll leave it there. My anger is starting to subside.

What a disappointment.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
liked it but easily the weakest of the McQuarrie Missions Impossible, with way way too much tedious exposition repeating plot points to the audience.

the key driving the whole plot is mysterious for most of the movie, then traitorous CIA guy says it unlocks the AI whatever on the submarine from the opening, then this is treated as a big reveal when we're told that again in the last few minutes?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping the OP will come back and post when part two comes out.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

What a disappointment.

A lot of these complaints are just, like, "the film did not explicitly tell me something it expected me to infer from context clues and three decades of franchise history, I don't understand." Hell, the last one is just explicitly stated by the antagonist before it happens.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Not as good as Fallout but that's about the highest bar for action films to clear.

Still a great film. Atwell adds a lot and the car chase sequence with them was just so fun, as was the cutting to Pom seemingly having the time of her life driving that big truck.

I'm also very happy whenever Shea Willingham shows up so I was glad he got decent screen time.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

obliriovrons posted:

A lot of these complaints are just, like, "the film did not explicitly tell me something it expected me to infer from context clues and three decades of franchise history, I don't understand." Hell, the last one is just explicitly stated by the antagonist before it happens.

Just because a character says something, doesn't mean it makes any sense.

I refuse to believe this movie of all movies is too smart for me. This is the same movie that had multiple flashbacks during a scene of exposition to events that literally happened 5 minutes earlier.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Really loved this movie. I don't know how to compare it to Fallout since I honestly don't remember that one all too well and may need to rewatch it.

Looten Plunder posted:

Just because a character says something, doesn't mean it makes any sense.

I refuse to believe this movie of all movies is too smart for me. This is the same movie that had multiple flashbacks during a scene of exposition to events that literally happened 5 minutes earlier.

Honestly, a lot of your pain points were quite obvious.
He ran on the airport roof, because he was surrounded with no support and had to find a creative way to get out of there.

Paris helped in the end, because her boss killed her in an act of paranoia, which retroactively justfied his action. Not much loyality after that. But it was a self fulfilling prophecy, basically. The weirdest part there was Ethan's decission to spare her in the first place. But he's the hero, I guess.

The reason they did not destroy this key was really obvious. Basically the key is the bottle of the genie, after that thing is already out there and wrecking havoc on his own accord. With the key, someone might rein it in and either control it, destroy it, or fully unleash it onto the world. No party involved really wants the key gone. That was spelled out really explicitly.

If you accept the inherent stupidity ofthe main plot, the stupidest scene for me was probably
nonchalantly jumping from a speeding train onto a parking trunk as if the concept of momentum wasn't a thing.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 12, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Team Ilsa 4 ever

Grace can't keep pace

Nice to see Ram Kaichow getting movie work

Better than the latest Indiana Jones but can't help but think that it would be better at 90 minutes.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I can't believe they fridged Ilsa. It wasn't shocking given Ferguson's career, and they actually did it well with the earlier fakeout but they did her dirty and in the worst kind of way. Especially with such a lame villain doing it.

This was worse than the Syndicate duology and probably the weakest M:I movie since 3. But also still better than 90% of the stuff out there.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
Saw this today and enjoyed it, but also found it rather underwhelming. Very much a popcorn movie in that I enjoyed it at the time but it didn't leave much of an impression, I certainly didn't walk away exhilarated or thinking "WOW".

Unfortunately the more I think about it the more the plot holes are starting to bug me. I don't need or expect deep plots from M:I, but at least they usually have tight plots, this one unfortunately is a bit of an arse of a plot.

Discount Del Toro was such a beige antagonist, Benji and Luther completely superfluous, the entity just a complete non-entity, Grace totally unnecessary. 6/10

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

bucketybuck posted:

Luther completely superfluous

announcing “well I’m gonna leave the movie now, see you in the next one” sorta funny though

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I'm curious how Nicholas Hoult would've played Gabriel since he would've been in elementary school in the flashback.

Speaking of callbacks to Ethan's past, with all the talk about Luther finding an analog solution, I really hope they end up at the Hunt family farm in part 2.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tom Cruise’s cardio remains obscene. He is 60 years old and he continues to run like a person half his age. Tom Cruise running to and from things never gets old.

The Fiat 500 sequence was excellent comedy. Especially Hayley Atwell doing piddly little smoke donuts around the fountain trying to steer out of a burnout.

The desert sequence and the train sequence were exceptional. The fact that they actually built that entire train and each car from scratch for the movie makes the latter even more impressive.

I liked the sense of M:I 1 spy stuff, especially with Kittridge showing up again. It harkens back to a time when these movies were more thriller than CGI actionfest. I love the action sequences in these films, but it was nice to get a taste of spycraft again.

Dislikes:

What the gently caress was that scene at the beginning where Kittridge and Elwes and Pals were in that underground NSA briefing room, finishing each other’s sentences like they’re an intel agency hivemind? Felt totally forced, unnatural and melodramatic.

Esai Morales is a good actor, but as others have said, he was a piss poor villain in this movie. Just nothing but schmaltzy mean mugging the camera and delivering goofball expository dialogue.

There is an action thriller movie that did “Evil Omnipotent Rogue AI utilizing random humans to complete it’s goals IRL” better, and that movie was Eagle Eye. And even that was a so-so movie. But the AI villain was far superior.

POOR REBECCA FERGUSON WHAT THE gently caress?!! This seems like a situation where the writers painted themselves into a corner due to her work schedule on other productions. She’s been the female equivalent of Ethan for three movies, now, and for her to get so unceremoniously murdered by some previously unknown mystery antagonist on a bridge seemed cheap and forced.

The writers seem like they wrote Luther and Benji’s scenes on a cocktail napkin in 20 minutes during a brainstorming session. Feels like they were maybe on the set for a total of a week and not a day longer.

I liked it in general, but as it’s only 1/2 the story, i’m gonna have to wait a year before I can fully grade the whole thing.

Tom Cruise’s charisma went a long way in getting me to like this one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Also, looks like Pom Klementieff ain’t dead, because Eli Thompson’s partner checks her pulse after Cruise jumps out of the train and goes “She’s still got a pulse! Hang in there for me!”

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

Are we to expect that a train collided with the car, launching Ethan out holding on to the steering wheel?

No, we're supposed to infer that he ripped the steering wheel off and dove out of the car because he couldn't pick the cuffs.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Just saw this in IMAX and had a great time watching it, the final set piece especially. Story was pretty mid though and it's hard for me to get excited about an AI antagonist. I just rewatched Fallout last night and couldn't help but compare Esai Morales with Henry Cavill the entire time. Cavill just had so much more charisma in what is definitely a superior film and they just didn't do enough to flesh out the story of how Hunt and Gabriel first met for me to really care about him at all. A longer flash back scene at the beginning with whoever the gently caress Maria was would have helped a lot I think.

The movie is really quite funny though and I think Hayley Atwell is a great addition to the cast as someone with really no actual spy skills which contrasted quite nicely with Ilsa being the hyper competent agent who just didn't know when to just retire already god dammit!

Minor gripe but like what was going on with the cinematography every time two characters were having a conversation? Shot reverse shot all tight close ups except every time cutting back to a different angle or character is now on the opposite side of the screen. There's a Luther-Hunt scene where it's just so weird and distracting. Every time they cut back to Rhames and he's looking off in some other direction. An obviously conscious choice but I wasn't really a fan.

Anyway, a good time at the theater. Also I got a free poster, so that's pretty cool.

7/10

Just saw this in a theater. My buddy loved it except for the "acting" in those tight shots you're describing. That was because this was shot in the peak of covid, and they weren't in the room. Tom is actually a great enough actor that he's the only one this doesn't seem to effect, everyone else clearly struggled with that aspect of it. Set pieces are some of the best they've ever done, the plot dialogue stuff weighs it down a little, but overall, a solid 9/10, probably top three in the franchise. (Fallout is the best easily).
Current order is.
6 (Perfect score. Perfect villain, ties together great elements of the other films. It's the most organic team movie, and fantastic set pieces.)
3 (massively underrated)
7 (It's great, Covid clearly hurt this, and the plot is a lot.)
2 (massively underrated. The most fun gunplay in the series. The bike sequence doesn't get enough love. The masks and Zimmer score are awesome. If you don't like this film, you don't like fun.)
5 (I think it may be a slightly better film than 2, but it's less fun but introduces RF and she's great)
4 (very, very overrated. A great sequence (building climbing) is overshadowed by a weak villain, and a very draggy plot with JR doing his best but just not being strong enough with Cruise.
1 (A good 90's film, a great start, but just not as strong as the rest.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 13, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I'd like to second 3 being underrated. It's the M:I movie where the plot works the best, and the bridge attack is really good. Two is terrible though.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Can someone just spoil this for me, does it end with an obvious cliffhanger or TO BE CONTINUED moment? I feel like movie serials haven't been doing that and I wish they would.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Across the spiderverse came out this year and definitely did that.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Imo this movie has a much more satisfying ending than Spider-verse, but it is still a part 1, so there is more story to tell. There is no cliffhanger, just a "how will our heroes complete the mission?"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

smug n stuff posted:

Imo this movie has a much more satisfying ending than Spider-verse, but it is still a part 1, so there is more story to tell. There is no cliffhanger, just a "how will our heroes complete the mission?"

Phase 1 complete. Onto phase 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

smug n stuff posted:

Lame! I haven't seen Spider-verse yet, but I *want* a bombastic ending that leaves you hanging going "wtf? they can't end it here!".