Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Can't believe Solomon Lane is alive in some MI6 blacksite and we had to deal with this handsome dud of a villain. here's hoping he's THE LAST THING THE ALGORITHM WOULD EXPECT in Dead Reckoning 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I loved the new villain purely because of Paris. Give me a cool heavy and I'll love any villain.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pom Klementieff grinning maniacally in the Rome sequence was fantastic.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

AccountSupervisor posted:

I respect that because at the very least it avoids the feeling that he just casts hot actresses in these so he can make out with them. He has control and ownership of the franchise so as the lead actor its a pretty respectful move especially considering the actresses are much much younger than him.

I do love that all of the actresses are around my age though. That might be part of why I find them all so amazingly attractive. I know Cruise is like 60, but he plays as 40 so the casting is respectable.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Eason the Fifth posted:

The 60's series was incredibly good and better imo than any of the cruise efforts. Barbara Bain and Martin Landau especially. Edit: and of course Peter Graves.
<---- :hmmyes:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

GrandpaPants posted:

Pom Klementieff grinning maniacally in the Rome sequence was fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiuBWPKHTPA&t=363s

Crushing cars like beercans must be a lot of fun, movies should allow the villains to enjoy themselves more.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Pom absolutely slayed in that pirate coat outfit

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I will say I did appreciate the hallway fight had the right amount of brutality and sound mixing that they could get away with in a pg-13, I felt those head slams into brick with that sound.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/joshieonfilm/status/1679967149064962049?s=20

Second part:
https://twitter.com/joshieonfilm/status/1679967770488852483?s=20

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That was really good. I've haven't really seen a lot with Pom before. She seems great. Really quick on the uptake there. Oh right, she's Mantis. Forgot about that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 15, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kill All Cops posted:

All her outfits were top notch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just saw it.

Literally nobody cares about capital-m Movies more than Tom Cruise. I think that, if the technology existed, he would clone himself, tell those clones to go to every theater and personally thank/shake the hand of every attendee, and those clones would happily do it.

I was bummed that Ilsa got killed. I liked the character and her history from the previous movies, and I liked Ferguson's sly "double double cross" performance, and even though I think Hayley Atwell is an absolute bombshell, I don't consider that a fair trade character wise.

Overall good stuff, I enjoyed it. I think the current standings of the "modern" franchise are 4-6-5-7. That makes Dead Reckoning the "weakest" but that's kind of a technicality, because all these movies are better action blockbusters than 99% of the crap they're releasing nowadays.

It also makes me want to see submarine movies make a comeback.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I have no idea why DR isn't doing well at the Box Office and Top Gun did..... They were the same kind of movie and both equally enjoyable imo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Barbieheimer is sucking all the air out of the room, unfortunate given I think this film will be seen as better than either of those two in posterity. Top Gun was also basically the only and first big blockbuster that wasn't superheroes at the time when the US was starting to reopen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mission Impossible has never had ultra strong domestic opening weekends. This is the strongest one yet. Let's see if it has legs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol at Tom being older than Jon Voigt was in the first movie. Although by this one he's visibly aging.

Also what was the deal with those alternate angles of Luther during his conversation with Ethan? They looked weird and the drastic change in angle was jarring.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Loved this. I thought the direction of the Fiat car chase was outstanding, I loved watching that thing zip around at a distance.

Place your bets: what’s the deal with the computer coffin thing Gabriel was inside of on the train?

muscles like this! posted:

Also what was the deal with those alternate angles of Luther during his conversation with Ethan? They looked weird and the drastic change in angle was jarring.

I don’t remember anything weird about that scene but there’s a good chance it was because Rhames was sitting down for it lol.

The weirdest scene for me was the bit where Tom is chilling on the balcony after a heated conversation with his team and a Rebecca Ferguson comes out and they share pleasantries about Venice and then snuggle. Seemed way out of tune with the rest of the film.

fadam fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 16, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mcmagic posted:

I have no idea why DR isn't doing well at the Box Office and Top Gun did..... They were the same kind of movie and both equally enjoyable imo.

Top Gun is a franchise that had a ton of nostalgia behind it and peaked perfectly hype wise in a summer with very little else that people wanted to see. This one had a weird early opening due to the IMAX situation and still might end up with the biggest Friday-Sunday in franchise history. (Discounting Thursday previews it's slightly ahead of Fallout's Friday)

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I've watched every one of these movies in a theater, but don't ask me to summarize any of them because the only part I can ever remember is Emilio getting spiked in the elevator. At some point later, Simon Pegg shows up.

This one was good, I look forward to watching and forgetting the next one as well.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Whoever was the production designer who decided to put Pom in 3 straight kickass outfits is a genius. Also really liked Gabriels train outfit as well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dpkg chopra posted:

I'm hoping the OP will come back and post when part two comes out.

Gonna start working on the draft now so I don't gently caress up and get myself banned again when trying to post at midnight after sitting through a 3 hour movie

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Just saw it.

Literally nobody cares about capital-m Movies more than Tom Cruise. I think that, if the technology existed, he would clone himself, tell those clones to go to every theater and personally thank/shake the hand of every attendee, and those clones would happily do it.

I was bummed that Ilsa got killed. I liked the character and her history from the previous movies, and I liked Ferguson's sly "double double cross" performance, and even though I think Hayley Atwell is an absolute bombshell, I don't consider that a fair trade character wise.

Overall good stuff, I enjoyed it. I think the current standings of the "modern" franchise are 4-6-5-7. That makes Dead Reckoning the "weakest" but that's kind of a technicality, because all these movies are better action blockbusters than 99% of the crap they're releasing nowadays.

It also makes me want to see submarine movies make a comeback.
His commitment is definitely one stand-outs for the whole franchise and it shows in the result.

Definitely need more submarine movies, but the Red October thing at the very beginning was a great touch.

fishing with the fam posted:

An AI villain that uses its internet access to "change truth" and knows everything is a good premise for a more grounded, paranoid spy thriller. That approach requires investment in characters actually talking to each other, which this movie could not care less about. It all really just doesn't fit the vibe of a big bombastic action movie, which really needs a more direct and tangible threat. Just have the AI try to crash the world's electrical grid or give it a nuke or something.

Edit: And I'm still pissy that they did Ilsa dirty like that. It bugs me that the movie straight up tells us that the AI wants to kill someone Hunt cares about to emotionally compromise him, but for some reason it must be a woman. Pegg and Rhames are off the table for this purpose for some reason?? Ving Rhames is barely interested in leaving his chair in these movies!

Edit 2: It might shock you to know that italics and spoilers are not the same tag.
Yeah that's one of my gripes with the movie, it's a great premise but for a different kind of spy movie. They keep having to explain the AI poo poo in exposition because otherwise 90% of the time is spent running around so the threat is kind of abstract and doesn't show itself naturally. I don't think it's a huge issue for the film though because the whole point is that other 90%, but still. Definitely a shame about Ilsa

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

fishing with the fam posted:

An AI villain that uses its internet access to "change truth" and knows everything is a good premise for a more grounded, paranoid spy thriller.

There is a British show The Capture where season 2 had a lot of stuff that are very similar.

Operatives which are not seen on security cameras and who can hack into comms so the base can only listen in horror as their team gets fed fake info which sounds like it's them. Those things are quite scary to see if you then think how much of our lives are controlled by what is shown on a screen.

Patlabor 2 also has a good scene like the submarine where fake info is presented on radar screens and causes all sorts of havoc. Just like with a sub there is no way to check if that blip is real or not.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Lol at Tom being older than Jon Voigt was in the first movie. Although by this one he's visibly aging.

I read that a lot of the exposition issues came about because of the particular difficulties of filming during Covid.

How true it is I don't know but it makes sense to me I guess, that it was harder to get all the actors in the same rooms together and have a more natural back and forth between them, so we end up with lines that sound like they were all filmed separately and edited together.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I enjoyed this one, although I'd agree with others that it's not at the top of the series, behind Fallout and Ghost Protocol at least. The action and suspense sequences were as good as ever, but the plot was unusually convoluted for these movies, especially when the plots are usually so disposable. Hayley Atwell is a great addition to the cast.

I rewatched the first MI last night and my god, Tom Cruise was practically a baby. That movie has some 90s-rear end ideas of how computers and the internet work. Great movie, and definitely much more of a paranoid spy thriller than the spy-oriented action movies the series would become.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

the reason they present imf like they do is because after baldwin kicked it in the last movie the entire agency is just ethan and his buddies and everyone is just really embarrassed about it. the guy at the start wasnt even an agent, he was just a food delivery guy hired by kittridge. thats why he was so bad with the code word stuff.

i hope harley quinn returns in the next one, she was fun

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Risutora posted:

the reason they present imf like they do is because after baldwin kicked it in the last movie the entire agency is just ethan and his buddies and everyone is just really embarrassed about it. the guy at the start wasnt even an agent, he was just a food delivery guy hired by kittridge. thats why he was so bad with the code word stuff.

i hope harley quinn returns in the next one, she was fun

I think he was an agent, at least a very very new employee, because Ethan specifically tells him "You made the right choice" as in he made The Choice.

Also this retconning of the IMF in that its made up of former government agents who broke some kind of law and choose between the IMF and prison is 100% seeds to set up the franchise beyond Tom Cruise.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

nah dude was just real confused about the really specific delivery notes on this weird guys pizza

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The right Choice was not to ask for a tip from this really intense weirdo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What really bothers me about this movie is that you never see the action hero take time to take a big ole poo poo.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Kill All Cops posted:

I genuinely loved the detail that apart from on the train, she was always wearing a skirt. It was like, that's probably suboptimal from a tactics perspective, and the fact that she chooses to do it anyway gives her a poo poo-ton of character without saying a single word.

Also I really enjoyed the movie, Ethan constantly being in check for a whole movie and never managing to clever double-cross his way out of it was a novel experience. And while we all know Tom Cruise is clearly actively trying to die while making a movie, the big motorcycle jump was so hilariously unecessary. They cut away like ten seconds later and don't even show him approaching the train, he just jumped for the sake of jumping!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
"ETHAN THE BOMB IS GOING TO EXPLODE"

"I CAN'T BENJI I'M Unnnnnnnnnnnnnhhh TAKING A MASSIVE poo poo"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Looten Plunder posted:

I do love that all of the actresses are around my age though. That might be part of why I find them all so amazingly attractive. I know Cruise is like 60, but he plays as 40 so the casting is respectable.

Seconding this, Rebecca Furguson, Hayley Atwell, and Vanessa Kirby are all really attractive to me.

i’m not sure Rebecca Ferguson is a good trade for Hayley Atwell, though

I liked the movie quite a bit though, I was even okay with the exposition dumps. An AI antagonist press-ganging humans into its service through extortion/greed is a pretty neat antagonist that I don’t think I’ve seen in a movie before.

Action setpieces were cool, I still like Mission Impossible movies quite a bit. I just bought the 4K box set of the prior movies (the only 4K version I previously owned was Fallout), looking forward to rewatching the series. It’s been a long time since I watched #2 and I don’t know that I’ve actually seen #3 or 4 all the way through. As much as I don’t care about Tom Cruise’s personal life, he is consistently entertaining as an actor and it’s my understanding that he truly does give a poo poo about his performance and is very good to his fans, and I can very much respect that.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Hollismason posted:

What really bothers me about this movie is that you never see the action hero take time to take a big ole poo poo.

How will we know what happens between him running towards a bunch of airplanes and him arriving in a completely different country unless there's a scene of Ethan taking a gross poo poo

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Seconding this, Rebecca Furguson, Hayley Atwell, and Vanessa Kirby are all really attractive to me.

i’m not sure Rebecca Ferguson is a good trade for Hayley Atwell, though

I liked the movie quite a bit though, I was even okay with the exposition dumps. An AI antagonist press-ganging humans into its service through extortion/greed is a pretty neat antagonist that I don’t think I’ve seen in a movie before.

Action setpieces were cool, I still like Mission Impossible movies quite a bit. I just bought the 4K box set of the prior movies (the only 4K version I previously owned was Fallout), looking forward to rewatching the series. It’s been a long time since I watched #2 and I don’t know that I’ve actually seen #3 or 4 all the way through. As much as I don’t care about Tom Cruise’s personal life, he is consistently entertaining as an actor and it’s my understanding that he truly does give a poo poo about his performance and is very good to his fans, and I can very much respect that.

4 is absolutely delightful and probably kickstarted the second half of the series' tone and characters. It may still be my favorite, even though I know in my heart of hearts that Fallout is still superior in every way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Xenomrph posted:

My friend said the same thing walking out of the movie and I congradualted him on discovering that movie stars tend to be good looking.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Chieves posted:

4 is absolutely delightful and probably kickstarted the second half of the series' tone and characters. It may still be my favorite, even though I know in my heart of hearts that Fallout is still superior in every way.

4 started the trend of "Holy poo poo Tom Cruise could have actually died filming this. Isn't that awesome?" For which cinema as an artistic medium will be forever grateful

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mcmagic posted:

My friend said the same thing walking out of the movie and I congradualted him on discovering that movie stars tend to be good looking.

Well I mean yeah, sure. But I meant those 3 specifically, and the movie didn’t have to resort to revealing clothing or objectivization or any other common Hollywood tricks.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Well I mean yeah, sure. But I meant those 3 specifically, and the movie didn’t have to resort to revealing clothing or objectivization or any other common Hollywood tricks.

Ok, nobody cares

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tom Cruise saw a Jackie Chan movie and said "I didn't have a miserable childhood being transformed into the ultimate gymnast/acrobat/dancer but I can at least try" and here we are.

A couple of random things:

These really are kid's movies starting at 4. My nine year old loves this poo poo. Tom Cruise is now his favorite actor and my son says some variation of "He had to practice that A LOT, wow!" every 10 minutes.
At the beginning of MI:5, Solomon Lane is in the background of a couple of the shots before Tom Cruise gets gassed by the Syndicate. Cool!
Both the 4th and the 6th movies are about stopping nukes. The 5th movie is about keeping money away from a guy that will, presumably, use it to detonate a nuke. Lotta nukes, is what I'm saying.
If Dead Reckoning Part 2 lands this will be the action franchise with the most consistent track record (5 movies minimum that didn't drop the ball).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So about Ilsa Faust and the 2nd part:

What is her role in the 2nd part if she’s like, really dead? They didn’t even have a funeral! I refuse to believe Ilsa is dead and they have only some flashbacks in the pt2.