Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm assuming Ilsa didn't die and got switched out for a masked decoy. Her being alive will be part of the AI's plan to defeat Ethan in part 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ihmemies posted:

So about Ilsa Faust and the 2nd part:

What is her role in the 2nd part if she’s like, really dead? They didn’t even have a funeral! I refuse to believe Ilsa is dead and they have only some flashbacks in the pt2.
It probably doesn't help that I watched John Wick Chapter 2 literally a day before seeing the movie (so part of my brain was going WHERE IS ALL THE BLOOD and DOUBLE-TAP THEM YOU MORONS during the gunfights), but it did sure prime me to notice that nobody actually took the knife out of Ilsa. Not that these movies have more than a nodding acquaintance with reality in the best case, but still. That looked survivable.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Well I mean yeah, sure. But I meant those 3 specifically, and the movie didn’t have to resort to revealing clothing or objectivization or any other common Hollywood tricks.
Egh gross post 🤢

I recently went back and watch the master in mission impossible 3 and by gxd is that a good entry. I think it speaks to turning the franchise back into a tv show one day as the plot felt like a v tightly written Good tv movie in many ways. Now on to 4 which I haven't seen! 5 is grand.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nobody ITT has commented on the fact that Rebecca Ferguson was clearly breathing in her final shot. I figured it was a mistake, but maybe she really does live. The only way to defeat an AI that can account for every possible scenario would be to have information the AI doesn’t have, thus it can’t plan for it. If it thinks Ilsa is dead, that’s their knuckle in the hole

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

blue squares posted:

Nobody ITT has commented on the fact that Rebecca Ferguson was clearly breathing in her final shot. I figured it was a mistake,

I noticed that as well. I wonder how much that bugs Cruise.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A little bit of trailer chat - I’m going to spoiler this in case there are people who avoided watching the trailers and haven’t seen the movie yet (I know people who avoid all trailers), but in retrospect I kinda wish the trailers hadn’t included two of the coolest and most interesting quick shots in the movie:

the ground-level train wheels shot when it goes off the bridge

The slow-motion momentary-weightlessness in the train car

Like yeah I get that the trailers are meant to sell me on the movie and coast on rapid-fire “doesn’t this look cool???” but show a little restraint if the shot is a one-off.

i’m a fan of fixed-camera moving vehicle shots in general for conveying motion, speed, and momentum (Rogue One had some great “fixed to the ship” shots in the final battle for example) so the shot in Mission Impossible’s trailer really stood out to me, but the impact was lessened after seeing the trailer 4 times in front of other movies.

I mean I guess the onus is on me to not watch trailers I guess?

Edit— I guess you could cherry-pick pretty much any shot from a trailer and say “that shot is going to look rad as hell to someone, and they’re going to wish it wasn’t spoiled”, but I think the two I’m referring to are pretty notable as something I’d never seen in a movie before.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 17, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I have some loving thoughts on this film and I'm glad I can finally talk about them since I've been sitting on these thoughts for a month now.

At first I was angry about Ilsa's death. I was also annoyed because it's like "Yup, they killed her off, but don't worry, we're introducing another brunette for Ethan Hunt to crush on with Haley Atwell." A coworker of mine had a theory on how this could tie in to part 2 and the future of the franchise. He's convinced that in part 2 Ethan Hunt will die. And if not die, he'll use the AI to fully erase himself from all records and fake his death so he can go live in solitude somewhere. Grace, in his theory, is not an Ilsa Replacement. She's an Ethan Hunt replacement. Haley Atwell gets introduced in part 1 so that she can become the next "Ethan Hunt" if they wanted to do more MI films after Dead Reckoning.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I definitely feel like Cruise knows he can't keep doing this stuff at this level forever and he's priming the series to work with him as the Director/Secretary and a rotating cast of up-and-comers or unappreciated midweights to keep on Impossible Mission'ing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I can't imagine him ever doing the director/secretary thing. With him, it's either all or nothing and I don't blame him at all for that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If the IMDb Trivia page is anything to go by, Tom Cruise has outright said that DR part 2 will be his last Mission Impossible movie.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Cruise just did an interview last week where he said he wants to keep making Missions Impossible into his 80s

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Huh, I stand corrected.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I have a really hard time believing that they can continue the MI franchise without Tom Cruise.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They were trying to set up Renner and that certainly didn't work. The problem is Cruise is even more inergral to the franchise than Connery was to Bond. What even is Mission Impossible without cruise? Just another Bondlike

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Cruise just did an interview last week where he said he wants to keep making Missions Impossible into his 80s

Certainly something you might say if you've decided the character will die and you want it to be more surprising after having said it's a send-off for Hunt/Cruise for the last few years

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Gaius Marius posted:

They were trying to set up Renner and that certainly didn't work. The problem is Cruise is even more inergral to the franchise than Connery was to Bond. What even is Mission Impossible without cruise? Just another Bondlike

While I agree the franchise would likely suffer without cruise in it, the thing I like about the series itself is the bond elements combined with a heist movie.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If Tom Cruise does keep making these, they're going to have to eventually transition him to an elder statesman/chief role just because, y'know, linear time exists, so there's definitely a middle ground here of "keep Ethan around but let's start focus-testing a new main character for a few movies".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CapnAndy posted:

because, y'know, linear time exists

Have you seen how slow Tom Cruise ages? He’s going to be a field agent until at least 2060.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Tom Cruise is most likely not a genetic marvel, but an actor who takes good care of themselves, is probably on some sort of longevity therapy, and has access to the best plastic surgeons in the world.

That counts for a lot but it does not allow a 70 year old man to keep up with the things he could do at 50.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think the franchise can continue without him. The trick is finding an actor who is loving nuts like him with regard to the stunts.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I wouldn’t mind if it turned into a farce where Ethan Hunt wears the face of a younger actor during the stunts but is otherwise as stiff as De Niro in the Irishman.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
These movies are about Tom Cruise defying death. If they try to replace him, it'll be like the Bourne Legacy and no one will care.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
They also don't make stars like him any more and even when they did, he was 1 in a million.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It did feel like this was setting up the idea of continuing on without Ethan.

I think it's possible because while Cruise is definitely a big part of these films, they're also known for being great movies with stellar casts. You probably can't replace Cruise with one person, but if you get a few people that will make it a lot easier.

They just need to be as committed to Cruise as at making these films, and that's the hard part.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'll be the contrarian shithead and say I wish the movies were low-key espionage instead of high-stakes action. That isn't to say they're bad, they're far from it, but I still think the first one was the best and the only one in the spirit of the old series (even if it made Phelps the bad guy).

Hottest take: the best Mission Impossible movie is Sneakers.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I think it's possible because while Cruise is definitely a big part of these films, they're also known for being great movies with stellar casts. You probably can't replace Cruise with one person, but if you get a few people that will make it a lot easier.

They just need to be as committed to Cruise as at making these films, and that's the hard part.

McQuarrie is the second most important person in the franchise and he is tied to Cruise's hip. It's not going to work without either of them.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

I know what parts you're talking about, but I feel like there's a chance it might be less "setting someone up to continue the franchise post-Cruise" and more "showing what it's like to join the IMF so we, the audience, can visualize this group continuing on post-Ethan." Obviously, it could be the former, but I think there's a logic to the latter given the nostalgic tone of a lot of elements of this one (sleight-of-hand, big final train setpiece).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

live with fruit posted:

McQuarrie is the second most important person in the franchise and he is tied to Cruise's hip. It's not going to work without either of them.

We already know these movies were set up to be Cruise's last, even if he's saying something different now. He knows he can't keep doing this forever and the guy clearly loves movies and wants to leave behind a legacy. So I'm fairly certain that setting up the MI franchise to be healthy without him is a goal of his.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

We already know these movies were set up to be Cruise's last, even if he's saying something different now. He knows he can't keep doing this forever and the guy clearly loves movies and wants to leave behind a legacy. So I'm fairly certain that setting up the MI franchise to be healthy without him is a goal of his.

“Harrison Ford is a legend, I hope to be still going, I’ve got 20 years to catch up with him,” Cruise said. “I hope to keep making Mission: Impossible films until I’m his age.”

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I saw this over the weekend.

It didn't leave me with the same "wow, gently caress wow" feeling that Fallout did when I left the cinema, but I attribute that to it being the first part of a two-parter so it's not a neat "everything gets resolved in one movie" kind of story.

The set pieces felt weirdly more disjointed as a whole thing than in previous films, like in this one it really did feel like they'd basically just planned out a load of big-rear end action scenes and then struggled to write stuff to connect them all up. Still a great time though!

In the first few minutes, I thought I was watching a Metal Gear Solid movie. I mean, that intro sequence was practically identical to the opening sequence of MGS, even down to being in the Bering Sea. I half expected to hear Ethan Hunt talk about procuring weapons and equipment on-site

And then later, when they were discussing the big bad AI, I was getting solid shades of the plot from Metal Gear Solid 2 as well, with Arsenal Gear manipulating the world's information to present whatever truth it wanted to

Looking forward to part 2, but generally I do feel like movies like this work best as individual stories.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think Tom very sensibly realized he probably can't keep doing what he's doing in his sixties and figured he'd do Maverick, Dead Reckoning and then that space movie he wants to do as his last hurrah before scaling back.

Then he hit 60, he feels great and thinks he can just keep doing this forever. He's right, of course.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Atwell was cool but Ferguson getting introduced with that sniper rifle at the opera in MI:5 was a scene that still stands out to me.

After the last Bond, and a few other somber endings in other properties, it'd be cool if Part 2 ends as upbeat/positively as The Dark Knight Rises did.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

After seeing it again I'm feeling like it might be setting up a new team situation. Paris as the muscle, Grâce as the sneak, Shea Wigham as the too old for this poo poo team leader, his partner as the novice, and Benji as tech and as the single veteran of the old IMF.

Maybe they go full TDKR and have the end being a redo of Rogue Nations end but instead of Michele Monahgen and some dude it's Hunt and Faust finally getting a break from the action.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Eason the Fifth posted:

even if it made Phelps the bad guy
My mental canon is that he's really Dan Briggs wearing a Phelps mask, wanting revenge for being disavowed after just one season. :colbert:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
:hmmyes: I just clocked it up to Phelps being the code name for team lead kinda like the idea of Bond being the code name for a dozen 007s. I can't imagine the Peter Graves Phelps going turncoat and killing his team because he just wasn't that kind of guy.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Just saw it yesterday and this is my least favorite McQuarrie era Mission. Felt like it's mash-up of recycled characters from M:I2, Spectre, Age of Ultron, and handcuff driving chase scene from Tomorrow Never Dies.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

live with fruit posted:

These movies are about Tom Cruise defying death. If they try to replace him, it'll be like the Bourne Legacy and no one will care.

Well they did try it, with the same actor no less. I kind of liked Brandt though, he had some good banter with Benji and Luther.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Saw it last night. Overall really positive about it, but it took me a while to get into it. Some weird editing and tone made it really hard to settle into, I think the movie found its pace like 30 minutes in. Some scenes went on way too long, especially the government debriefing and the Italy car chase. I had a hard time keeping track of who had a key and who was buying a key from whom, but ultimately it doesn't matter, they're essentially mcguffins to get characters from one setpeice to another.

I thought it was hilarious that Cruise just flat out essentially says "I won't stop till I kill God (and convert everybody to Scientology)."

There has been a really weird undercurrent through the whole franchise with the way it (and specifically Cruise) treats its female characters though. Not in an overtly misogynist Bond way, but in a way that somehow feels slimier.

And a little point of interest, the two songs playing at the castle party are called "Arrival" and "Erase". How appropriate.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 19, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Speaking as someone who binged the whole series over the course of a few weeks, I liked this the most out of the McQ movies. Although I also didn't like Fallout (no heist? really?) so I might want different things from this franchise. I love the idea of Hunt becoming the new Secretary but IDK if I can do another MI movie without Benji. Benji's the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Couple thoughts…

The bad: Ilsa’s death. I’d like her to have survived but I suppose Rebecca is free to do other things now. Ilsa was awesome and it pissed me off.

The good: Everything else.

Pom, Vanessa, Haley, Rebecca all ruled. I bought Pom as the dangerous heavy. Though I have thought she will be a plant and Gabriel telling her she will betray them because Hunt spared her is more instructions for her and making it look good than him turning on her. Haley Atwell is a good addition but deffo no replacement for Rebecca. Vanessa’s fainting all over the place was funny.

I liked that there was a lot of comedy in this but nothing that undercut the tension of the action or situation.

I’m looking forward to part 2. I would enjoy it if Rebecca, Pom, Vanessa, Haley, Pegg and Rhames had their own little movie and let Tom take a rest or a cameo.

My favorite is Fallout tho.