Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I would pay to see the prequel Mission: Impossible: The Net Ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rewatched the first movie the other day and there are a lot of callbacks in DR.

Also apparently if you look up any footage of Tom Cruise and Rebecca Ferguson at MI movie premieres the two are very handsy with each other. It makes the scene of Ethan and Ilsa canoodling in Venice make more sense since that's just how they act around each other in real life.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Rewatched the first movie the other day and there are a lot of callbacks in DR.

If my math is right, Hunt was only a part of the IMF for about 3 years when the events of MI 1 went down.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I got out of this movie and figured I just didn’t remember the backstory with Marie and Gabriel but lol that they just tried to gaslight us into thinking either of these characters mattered or indeed had ever existed previous to this film.

Overall not great. Cool stunts but some awful dialogue, a ridiculously bland villain, and some baffling plot choices.

Also Ving Rhames returning to his home planet there at the end

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This thread needs more posts and discussions.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Let's talk about how M:I:III sucks!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hoffman owns in it, so do Crudup and Russell. Plot makes no sense though and Abrams just isn't a very good director

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I liked when John Woo did one and just leaned way into self-parody. Flutter those doves, Woo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
MI3 is really good. It's a bit more low-rent than what follows, but it's a solid flick with a mediocre finale.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I don't think there's a bad movie in the series. 3 is a perfectly fine action movie with a great villain, and 2 is so utterly ridiculous it loops back around to being kind of amazing. It starts with Tom Cruise throwing exploding Oakleys at the camera to launch into the title and ends with a motorcycle joust with the villain.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

J.J is a very sterile director, that's the best way I can put it. And with weird smattering of violence that are too much for what the series represents. Not a bad movie, but I'd put it pretty firmly in the bottom if it weren't for the fact that large sections of 2 just straight up don't work, which is slightly worse than 3's technical competence that lacks any vigor or spirit.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
6 > 5 > 4/7 > 1 > 3 > 2

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mi3 is the worst of them all and if it weren't for PSH hitting it out of the park it would be near unwatchable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think that Mission Impossible 2 is not a self-parody. John Woo was hired by Tom Cruise to John Woo the gently caress out of that movie and he delivered.

It is a pretty good John Woo action movie. It is not a very good Mission Impossible movie.

The thing about 3 is, I like some of the stuff it does. That gnarly and vicious death for Kerri Russell, the fact that the Impossible Mission goes perfectly to plan and it's only afterwards that poo poo falls apart, PSH's performance. Pretty good.

I think I'm the only weirdo here who likes 4 the best. Changing the title sequence to basically be a highlight reel of all the wild poo poo you're about to see while the theme blares, Cruise attempting to die via massive stunting, the "going rogue" (always going rogue!), poo poo never working right, that all starts here and I think they nailed it. Plus I like Bird's style more than McQuarrie.

Anyway, good franchise.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You're not alone. A lot of people like 4 a lot. I think it's just as good as anything McQuarrie directed.

Brad Bird nailed it and it's a shame Tomorrowland bombed and he ended up in movie jail.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My problem with 3 is that the MacGuffin is too MacGuffin-y.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My problem with 3 is that the MacGuffin is too MacGuffin-y.

Yeah I get that the whole joke is that they never say what the Rabbit’s Foot is but it sucks and it takes away from the stakes. It’s just a little too cute.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
III has fun action/tension scenes (saving Keri Russell, the bridge, the finale once Cruise is running) and I really enjoyed PSH, Crudup, Monaghan, and Maggie Q (other guy in the crew was okay) as the newcomers, but yeah something about III is lacking.

Honestly the MacGuffin isn't just an annoying narrative device, it also distances the audience from the real threat at hand, even more so than "The Entity".

Having watched them all again in the past six months or so, I think my tier system would be:

Will Watch Start to Finish
IV: Ghost Protocol
V: Rogue Nation
VI: Fallout

Likely to Skip Some Scenes
I: Book of Job
III: Mr. & Mrs. Hunt
VII: Dead Reckoning

Every Watch is a Mystery
II: John Woo's Bizarre Adventure

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I know the mystery of the Rabbit's Foot really bothered people but I never cared, because it's very obviously a Black Plague level bioweapon. The specifics of it don't really matter, to me.

Again, I understand that it really does bother people. That's instructive.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I think the one thing I kinda stay get a little disappointed, not angry, is when Ethan gets into super secret place in china and then it cuts to Maggie Q and John Rhys in the car,which I kinda liked but I wish Ethan getting the rabbit's foot was actually shown or atleast part of it.

I always like a good heist.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maggie Q should have been a regular on the team. She's awesome.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'll put Ghost Protocol over Fallout and Rogue Nation because I feel like McQuarrie's direction is a little too sterile while Bird lets himself get a little goofy with it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just saw this for a second time today and all the scenes of exposition were even more tedious this time around. There's a lot of series continuity complaints I have but the dumbest and most nitpicky is Grace's eyes remaining brown when she's got the Alana mask on. Vanessa Kirby has blue eyes so this wasn't a mistake or goof. Am I supposed to think that all the times Ethan is wearing a mask he's not using contacts? You never see him removing any. Just everybody luckily has the same color eyes that he does?

Train scene still rules tho

My personal series rankings:
5 & 4 (tied)
(a vast gap)

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
3 is great. I had no idea until this thread that it wasn’t well liked. 4, 5 and 6 are basically all the same movie. I’ve seen them all at least a couple times each and I couldn’t tell you which one is which. This is not a problem, they’re all super fun. Lots of Tom Cruise running and Tom Cruise riding and Tom Cruise leaping to safety. Love ‘em.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
6, 5, 7, 4, gap 2, 1, 3. JJ Abrams is poo poo and it disappointed me so so much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My ranking is

1/3/4/5/6/7 >>>> 2

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
For me it's 1/6/7 small gap 4/5 small gap 3 big gap 2.

I just love the first movie. I love all the plot twists, I love Max, I love the train sequence and still love everything going on at the CIA. It also has a ton of memorable lines.

Fallout would probably be below 7 and 4 if it wasn't for the Wolf Blitzer scene but that's one of my favorite scenes in the series, maybe my favorite.

Dead Reckoning was just too much fun, and 4 and 5 suffered a little probably by not seeing them in theaters.

3 I still like, there's some cool sequences and a really evil villain but it does drag.

I don't understand how 2 is as boring as it is.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

2 has the best score (Hans Zimmer), and is obviously John Woos Goldeneye that he never got to make.

I rewatched all of them during lockdown and was kind of soured on 2 until the climax. The motorcycle stunts in that are absolutely amazing and I didn't realize it when I first saw it because I wasn't a rider back then. Now Im im awe.

3 and 1 are the worst ones partially due to lack of the stunts and shots that make the series so worthwhile.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed this one a lot. I agree with GazChap that there's a very Kojima-esque feel to some of the story; maybe it doesn't go quite as far as he would, but we do get Gabriel wearing a cyborg slumber mask. That'll probably be important later.

Mostly I was glad we saw Hayley Atwell in an action role again, something I've been waiting for ever since Agent Carter was axed. And Pom Klementieff was quite wonderful too.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think I'm the only weirdo here who likes 4 the best. Changing the title sequence to basically be a highlight reel of all the wild poo poo you're about to see while the theme blares, Cruise attempting to die via massive stunting, the "going rogue" (always going rogue!), poo poo never working right, that all starts here and I think they nailed it. Plus I like Bird's style more than McQuarrie.

If they'd made the Burj Khalifa the climax of the movie instead of it being the superspy beating up an elderly scholar in a parking garage then Ghost Protocol would easily be my favorite. Fallout still has a fistfight at the end, but it's against a more intimidating opponent and more directly tied into the helicopter sequence. I get it's a fancy parking garage and there's some fun slapstick, but it felt like a letdown compared to what came before both times I've seen it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
2 is the one I like the least but also the one I've seen the most :negative:

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 21, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
2 is awful. Just the worst of that Y2K style. I tell people to skip it completely if they watch the M:I movies, though I do think it'd be funny if the Australian guy popped back up.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I grew up watching 1 on VHS so it will forever hold a place in my heart. 2 is bad. 3 whips rear end and is severely underrated. Ghost Protocol is probably my favorite one, it's just an amazing movie (the framed, disavowed team has to use broken down, malfunctioning equipment to stop the villain). Rogue Nation and Fallout both have Ilsa and amazing set pieces. And if I was being honest, I'm glad a MI movie finally did AI, they've already stopped nuclear threats, biohazardous weapons, viruses, and rogue agents

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Apple TV had 1-6 for sale in 4K remasters so I watched the lot. I really liked all of them, but I think 4 is probably the weakest of the bunch. The Burj climb and the playboy party were pretty neat setpieces, but everything else dragged. Also I was really surprised how much I liked 2. It's been a while since I saw that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

If they'd made the Burj Khalifa the climax of the movie instead of it being the superspy beating up an elderly scholar in a parking garage then Ghost Protocol would easily be my favorite. Fallout still has a fistfight at the end, but it's against a more intimidating opponent and more directly tied into the helicopter sequence. I get it's a fancy parking garage and there's some fun slapstick, but it felt like a letdown compared to what came before both times I've seen it.

Fun fact, Tom Cruise is only two years younger than Michael Nyqvist.

On retrospect something that was pretty goofy about DR is how the plot is all about an evil AI that can take over anything electronic and yet Benji has no qualms about putting his marketing tie in car into auto drive.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Fun fact, Tom Cruise is only two years younger than Michael Nyqvist.

On retrospect something that was pretty goofy about DR is how the plot is all about an evil AI that can take over anything electronic and yet Benji has no qualms about putting his marketing tie in car into auto drive.

Don't worry. It was an analog self driving car.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

fishing with the fam posted:

Don't worry. It was an analog self driving car.

The Hunt family tractor better play a role in Part 2.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ozmunkeh posted:

3 is great. I had no idea until this thread that it wasn’t well liked. 4, 5 and 6 are basically all the same movie. I’ve seen them all at least a couple times each and I couldn’t tell you which one is which. This is not a problem, they’re all super fun. Lots of Tom Cruise running and Tom Cruise riding and Tom Cruise leaping to safety. Love ‘em.

my thoughts on the series exactly.

1: amazing and the most like the show
2: another universe
3: the best villain of them all
4-6: is this the swimming? the car chase? the building? lotsa fun but they all mix together.
7: uncharted 2

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I think comparing these movies to some nebulous show from many decades ago does them a disservice.

I recently saw a picture of Tom Cruise in Cocktail. How does he look so incredibly much better nowadays? He's at an age where people consider going into early retirement.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do think it was interesting that they apparently had a tie in with Fiat but the Fiat in question is a goofy tiny thing that everyone has trouble steering.