Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

How is Ashley even more useless than Sherry?

President's daughter Vs Evil Scientists daughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Honestly, I feel for Ashley here. She's obviously freaked out after having had her body jacked from her, and she's already pretty attached to Leon. It makes sense she'd freak out, she's not a trained killing machine!

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
My favorite thing about the water room was always the infinite dark hole in the ceiling of the lower room that kept spawning new guys. They would just drop god knows how far and somehow NOT break there legs. I'm pretty sure it was right under the water room itself so I have no idea where they kept coming from.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Obviously they went through the same advanced tactical training as Leon S(hins of steel) Kennedy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I love insanely convoluted rooms of no discernible purpose.

If I ever get rich, I'm making a cut rate Winchester mansion. There may or may not be weird murderous cultists.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeah Ashley freaking out after having her body hijacked and nearly shanking her protector is so much better than what happens in the original. She's a much better character in remake it's not even close.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

"leon freaked out when he realized he could move and shoot at the same time"
"wouldn't you?"

i would, but not going "holy poo poo i can do this thing" so much as "holy poo poo why couldn't i do this thing before, and why didn't i realize it, what was affecting my mind, what else am i not realizing??"

i may have been reading a lot of SCP stuff lately

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was almost rooting for the Novistador's that were clowning on you. Spray and pray.

When they mentioned a commander-type Plagas, I thought it was just the bosses, but Big Red causing others to headsplode and occasionally stunning you was creative.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
The red cultists are a good example of how the plagas are made considerably more nightmarish in the remake, given that the cultists scream and clutch their heads in agony and to all appearances do not at all seem jazzed about having worms explode their domes.

Also - the way I find to stealth this room is to go right, wait for the cultists to turn around, and sneak up the stairs to the catwalk so you can drop the chandelier on people. It can be tricky though, since one of the lady cultists is guarding it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The intro reminded me of my biggest disappointment in the remake's story redesign, with Salazar Ramón popping in to chat on codec. I know why they cut most of it, but him and Saddler constantly chiming in for witty repartee was one of the big charms to the original.

On the gameplay side, I also don't love the red cultists. The occasional screen filter/stagger move isn't fun, and the setup leans a bit too far into plagas bursters for my taste. But on the other hand, I completely forgot about the chaingun guy in this section of the original, which is also a bit I don't like. So I dunno, maybe the only winning move is not to play :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P49ix-1-s4M

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I liked him better when he was throwing barrels down the stairs.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Oh boy it’s this episode :allears:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I appreciated the "Turn based RPG" joke

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Okay so watching this back, I made some comment about being surprised that some cultists were missing. Uhh, nevermind the fact that Argate sniped them before even starting the sequence; all three of us just seemed to have forgotten that :v:

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

Okay so watching this back, I made some comment about being surprised that some cultists were missing. Uhh, nevermind the fact that Argate sniped them before even starting the sequence; all three of us just seemed to have forgotten that :v:

Recording commentary and paying attention to a video at the same time is harder than it looks!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Trying to connect the dots from point A to point B is hard! Especially on the first editing pass, the commentary pass and then the second editing pass!!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What about elevenses?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There are very few games I played that had AI know to jump into bushes to avoid getting shot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It got interrupted by "keep your dogs on a leash" but Ashley yells at you first time you shoot at the dogs while they're still caged. I can't remember his response.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Probably, "I'm a fed, I shoot dogs!"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

IIRC Dolly Parton also lost a look alike contest

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

IIRC Dolly Parton also lost a look alike contest

well yeah, she looks nothing like charlie chaplin!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
If you're going to have a hedge maze, at least they had the decency to make it small and simple.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All Europeans should strive for well trimmed bushes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is a Game Over.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Leon kicking the urns gives off major "no, gently caress YOU, dad!" vibes, which go well with his hair

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Holy :lol: at that cutscene skip for the bridge lever guy, I hadn't seen that before.

The switch to the Ashley section is a bit weird, it felt like such a natural fit for a revision of the Garrador cage fight, I was really surprised when it just turned into a completely hands-off set of cutscenes. I wonder if that was planned at some point, maybe I'm completely off base though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Noodle knight? More like hotdog knight.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

putting hotdog slices in your microwave mac & cheese is a time-honoured classic and i'm glad that resident evil 4 is finally giving it the recognition it deserves

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm glad we're naming all the enemies after foods in this game full of body horror :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The thing about the OG NG+ weapon folks were talking about is that it's not about the gun itself, it's about the outfit and reload animation you get with it :hellyeah:
https://i.imgur.com/MM8vU4j.mp4

And yeah, I don't really understand the purpose of the assault rifle in the remake, it just seems fundamentally crippled by using rifle ammo. If it had its own pickup, I'd be happy to play around with it like the TMP, but as it stands, there's no incentive to do anything with it other than shoot it a couple times then sell it off for ptas.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Ramon base is from Annausagi on Deviant Art. I can't promise there's not some X-rated stuff there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh my, that's incredible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Not pictured: all of the Plagas waiting to burst out of that bubble. Come to think of it, I could swear there's a Simpsons joke about gum filled with spider eggs, and that imagery is coming to mind. Just, you know, Plagas instead of spiders.