Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ah sweet, OG RE4 stuff too. This'll be neat, I haven't gone back to it since the remake came out. For the record, I eventually took the coward's way out and decided that I could live with them sharing a dual spot for my favorite in the franchise. That's quite a compliment for the remake, it doesn't hit everything I like from the original, but it's so massively fun that it's also way up top.

My take is that some of the stuff they were trying to add they did really well (the horror of that sacrifice in the opening for example) but in pursuing that they had to lose some of the silliness that was why I fell in love with the original. You still get some moments but in the original it felt like everyone was varying levels of in on the joke. It's kinda fascinating how some subtle differences in line reads can change a tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I know he's carrying an axe, but since the boards are on top of the trapdoor my read on that guy has always been that he'd been nailing them down rather than trying to break in.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

That was my read too. I mean what's the story otherwise? Luis jimmied the trapdoor shut, then tied himself up, then taped his mouth, then stuffed himself in a burlap sack? To avoid getting got?

The other read I see for it is he was sealed in there, but Big Guy is coming so they were getting access.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The DLC map treasures are absolutely not there without it. I don't have it, I have looked directly at spots people with it have found stuff, nothing there.

Also apparently the amount of max health added for a yellow herb depends on the healing items it's mixed with (GY<GGY<GRY) but the difference is tiny so I don't know why they bothered.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MShadowy posted:

The thing about Luis is that he was probably lying when he said he used to be a cop in Madrid in the original RE 4.

I think somewhere in one of the rail shooters or something Wesker revealed he had been an anonymous puppeteer behind Luis, giving him some cover story of needing to infiltrate and then he joins Madrid PD just long enough to support that? I may have accidentally made all that up, I'll go dig through wikis and see if I can disentagle the remake from whatever came before.

Edit: tracked down where I THOUGHT I'd found that info and it's not there, so I'm gonna say I made it up.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 23, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I couldn't hear the Castellans so I turned on audio subtitles (whatever it's called, environmental subtitles?) for the "mechanical cadence" note. Turns out they had some fun with it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

The Anti-Umbrella Pursuit and Investigation Team is only ever named in Dead Aim, of all places. In the original 4RE, it's just called a "secret organization", and in most supplemental material it's called a "secret military agency", and some of that material actually mistranslates the intentionally vague name as "US Secret Service".

The AUmPIT? That team stinks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The name for those column cave formations is columns.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The small key you missed was all the way back when you got the hexagonal emblem after the first merchant. There's an alcove that's easy to overlook there and it offsets your entire key supply in the Village where you instead find one and backtrack to the previous drawer.

Yes, I did the same thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did they turn up the frequency of head whips? It was like half the enemies.

That section has always been very heavy in them for me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You showed off how to dodge the beams while saying you didn't know how. Keep to one side and watch what he's throwing. If he grabs/throws them in succession run to the side (don't slow yourself by running toward him), if he grabs both at once stand still.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I like her hesitation getting into the locker for the first time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The main thing to know about the early cannon trick is that it does spawn a few more enemies and since you don't do half the loop you don't get a good angle on some of the catapults so you either need to know the spots or aim under fire.

You can also raise it from up where the cannon is (just don't drop down) and then everyone who spoawns is running at you along a narrow path while you have a cannon. I think my record is three with one shot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It got interrupted by "keep your dogs on a leash" but Ashley yells at you first time you shoot at the dogs while they're still caged. I can't remember his response.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

29:00 Argate... they're not dropping a lot of bolts because you're supposed to be using the bolt thrower here, they're dropping bolts because you ARE using the bolt thrower here. Bolts are retrievable if you don't turn them into explosives.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

I swear I’ve gotten bolt drops here when I wasn’t using the bolt thrower!

There's a few on tables, but I don't think they drop as random loot. Just placed or crafted from knives.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I had something like that happen in the Water Room, she was getting grabbed by the crank and I was using the pistol that pierces enemies. I guess she was already in the "I'm getting picked up and can't move" animation so couldn't duck and cover when I shot the guy in the back.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bibidi, Babidi, Buu

...An elephant sat on you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Krauser in those close-ups looks like a cross between Gary Busey and - poo poo, I was going to saw the guy from Starship Troopers who got his hand knifed to the wall, but guess what - his name is Jake Busey.

So, yeah, Krauser is the unknown Busey Boy.

He inherited the family teeth and you didn't know he was a Busey?