Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh sweet, I played through the game three times in a row and watched an LP of it and I'm ready for more, it's just that good!

NGDBSS posted:

I love how this game uses the old Spanish peseta as currency and pretends that, say, 1000 pesetas is not an insignificant amount. In reality the peseta had been phased out for the euro from 1999 to 2002 and was worth roughly 200 Pts per $1 US. The effect on the narrative is that Leon is just constantly rifling through the pockets of Spanish peasants for their spare change, and he can only spend it out here because any place that isn't the backwoods will laugh at him.

That's funny, it's been long enough that I forgot that was a real currency and assumed the gamedevs just made the name up to sound close to something real. Second biggest RE4 revelation after the moment I found out spinels exist in real life :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I never heard that they were originally gonna leave out the bingo line! I can't even imagine the amount of internet outrage they would've gotten even if everything else about the game was the exact same, that just seems like a choice you don't want to make.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah sweet, OG RE4 stuff too. This'll be neat, I haven't gone back to it since the remake came out. For the record, I eventually took the coward's way out and decided that I could live with them sharing a dual spot for my favorite in the franchise. That's quite a compliment for the remake, it doesn't hit everything I like from the original, but it's so massively fun that it's also way up top.

e: as much as I loved inventory tetris, I shamefully admit to using the autosort button too much now. Hats off to whoever got to design that algorithm, in their own way they're the greatest inventory tetriser who ever lived 🫡

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 14, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bruceski posted:

My take is that some of the stuff they were trying to add they did really well (the horror of that sacrifice in the opening for example) but in pursuing that they had to lose some of the silliness that was why I fell in love with the original. You still get some moments but in the original it felt like everyone was varying levels of in on the joke. It's kinda fascinating how some subtle differences in line reads can change a tone.

Yeah, that was one of my general criticisms. It's still very funny a lot of the time, but it does have an overall tone shift for the story, and it loses a lot of the silly charm in ditching most of the codec repartee with the villains. But at the same time, it's so drat fun to play that I can't be too harsh on it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It may have taken me three runs to notice, but I'm still salty about the switch from full heals to a fixed recovery amount for the big herb combinations :arghfist::smith:

No, it doesn't actually affect that much, since it still gets you 90% of the way there. But that sort of feels worse in a way, because it feels like a "why bother, then?" kind of change.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly, it's Resident Evil we're talking about, I would've believed it. They could reveal that Chris has a PhD in eyeball monsterology and I'd just nod and go along with it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't really love either version of the Del Lago fight either. It bothers me more in the remake because I spent more time goofing around with powerful/infinite weapons on higher difficulty levels, since it's one of those setpieces that completely negates any advantages by switching you to a custom weapon. That's just annoying to me.

And yeah, I forget the specifics, but it does get to regen its health if it enters a particular animation sequence without being interrupted. I'm terrible at aiming, so I'll often miss that, making anything above the easiest difficulty just a painful slog.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The PS2 cutscenes are a double whammy, since they're not only a downgrade in quality, because they're prerendered they lose all the special outfits :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bruceski posted:

The AUmPIT? That team stinks.

Lol

But also, in weirdly coincidental gameplay moments, I've finally been getting into Assassin's Creed Black Flag lately, and what does it have but a harpooning side activity that uses the Del Lago mechanics. Standing up front in a tiny boat, you spear a shark and then try to harpoon it as it tows you along. Eventually it breaks the line and disappears, and you have to try to hit it again when it reappears before it can attack the boat. Aiming and throwing harpoons feels about as janky with the thumbstick, except the game did include gyro aiming controls which help it go down easier. Nothing earth shattering, it's just new to me and I thought it was funny to pop up right after that last video.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I didn't mention it during the earlier video, but I have to wonder if the emblem symbol puzzle here is actually based on that puzzle next to the graveyard that they cut from the original. I don't really have anything to base that on, the puzzle layout just seems so similar that I wonder if it was something they just iterated on and shifted around until they found somewhere to fit it in.

Also, for the gun debates, I was a vocal keyboard warrior in favor of the Red9 and a later shotgun ever since the original game came out. The remake did something interesting in that it flipped my preferences to two I never even touched in the original. Mostly due to specs and handling changes, but the shotgun also suffered a lot because the changes to capacity upgrades that were discussed earlier basically negated its final upgrade. Still salty about that, I think it might be the mechanical change that bugs me the most.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The old footage reminded me I need to try switching to the original music for my next playthrough. The new one's great, but all the original tension music just hits harder in its own way. The save room remix is good too, but gets a little bit too ambient compared to the first one.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mostly like the Ashley mechanics better in the remake, but the one thing that bugs me is how hand-wavy the "tight"/"loose" commands feel compared to the original. I rarely feel like I have any real control over what she's doing, at least in the original she was either sticking right behind me or parked in a specific spot. Oh well, it still works well enough.

It also took me quite a while to notice that the "stealth" was actually visual-based. It actually didn't jump out to me until later on when I was doing an infinite launcher run, and was somehow going undetected firing explosive grenades all over the place in a particular stealth section, compared to my initial run trying to be all sneaky with knife kills :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

theenglishman posted:

Pour one out for everyone’s favourite Packers fan.

I'm disappointed to find out that apparently nobody's made this a mod yet.

....but on the other hand, somebody modded this into the game :stonklol:

e: The Mendez fight is neat in both games, but I think it loses some style points in the remake for not showing him transform. That's one of my all time favorite moments - way back when I first played the original, just the tentacle plagas were a level of videogame grotesqueness I'd never seen before, then this guy steps in and takes it to a whole other level I hadn't imagined. I still love that moment every time I replay the game.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 8, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Watching someone save kidnapped Ashley with a cannon pretty much summarizes why I love LPs of games I've already played multiple times on my own :hellyeah:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Obviously they went through the same advanced tactical training as Leon S(hins of steel) Kennedy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The intro reminded me of my biggest disappointment in the remake's story redesign, with Salazar Ramón popping in to chat on codec. I know why they cut most of it, but him and Saddler constantly chiming in for witty repartee was one of the big charms to the original.

On the gameplay side, I also don't love the red cultists. The occasional screen filter/stagger move isn't fun, and the setup leans a bit too far into plagas bursters for my taste. But on the other hand, I completely forgot about the chaingun guy in this section of the original, which is also a bit I don't like. So I dunno, maybe the only winning move is not to play :shrug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Holy :lol: at that cutscene skip for the bridge lever guy, I hadn't seen that before.

The switch to the Ashley section is a bit weird, it felt like such a natural fit for a revision of the Garrador cage fight, I was really surprised when it just turned into a completely hands-off set of cutscenes. I wonder if that was planned at some point, maybe I'm completely off base though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The thing about the OG NG+ weapon folks were talking about is that it's not about the gun itself, it's about the outfit and reload animation you get with it :hellyeah:
https://i.imgur.com/MM8vU4j.mp4

And yeah, I don't really understand the purpose of the assault rifle in the remake, it just seems fundamentally crippled by using rifle ammo. If it had its own pickup, I'd be happy to play around with it like the TMP, but as it stands, there's no incentive to do anything with it other than shoot it a couple times then sell it off for ptas.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, that's funny about the speed boost charm. I know I've heard about the Striker glitch before, but it wasn't in my mind enough to make the connection. I like the charm, it's just a small buff, but it's a nice little edge to have on constantly.

Also, yeah, the armored gigante is definitely the same one. A neat little touch I didn't notice the first time through is that its armor shows the damage you gave it by blasting it in the face with a cannon.
First appearance:

Cannoned!:

This time around:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pretty funny how much discussion there was in today's video about whether or not there'd be DLC, watching it just a little bit after I saw the announcement on the main RE thread. Of course I've gotta grab it day one, but I'll be excited to see it if you all play through on here.

Also, that scaffolding death is one of my favorite new contextual ones, I had a big laugh when I did it my first time through. The game totally got me when the platform started collapsing because I was in a rush, I instantly went "gotta get off this thing fast", and, well, I guess I kinda did? :rip:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Potential spoilers deleted :ssh:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 21, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I forgot there was a mysterious second video today right up until the end of the main one, I very much enjoyed being schooled on how the one-hand check provides no tactical advantage whatsoever :allears:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/y9G790A.mp4
"I've made a huge mistake"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been trying to figure out what movie character Saddler reminded me of since the remake came out, and there it is, 100% Dennis Hopper Bowser :aaaaa:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My vote is locked in on the strength of "Krauser knife battle scene narration" for this year's LP Academy Awards :five:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

How have I played this game since launch, and never heard a mention that gyro controls were available?! Nintendo has gotten me on board with it being the superior control option, but I never think to look for it because almost nobody else does it :negative:

Also, parasite jokes aside, remake Krauser totally gave me Metal Gear vibes the whole time, it's like he stepped right out of that franchise. My favorite little detail is his DEATH/GLORY patch featuring himself as a chibi skull and crossknives, which I can only assume is a homemade attempt to give himself more flair.

I love it, and it also feels like something a Metal Gear character has to have done at some point.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Oh yeah, the flying bugs still exist.

They're called helicopters :rolleyes:

Mike feels so weird in this game, like, I've been hit by friendly fire so many times that I kinda feel like I would've done better without tactical support. Could he even do that in the original? I was thinking he just kind of vaguely did stuff off in the distance or in specific cutscenes when you got to advance, but maybe I've just lost track of how it worked.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I was thinking buddy, I don't even get a lunch break, you point a gun at me and I'll fly this thing wherever :shrug:

Anyway, this has been a great revisit of a game that holds up over tons of replays. I hope you all go through the DLC but it's been fun either way, thanks for putting in the time and effort.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I want to believe, but they did intend to leave out the "Where's everyone going....bingo?" line originally so who knows :ohdear:

Also, good call on the hallucinations calling back to that Hookman stuff. I hadn't thought about that when I played through this one, but I think that makes sense. I also liked the throughline of that enemy, it felt like it gave a bit more direction to just following Ada around on the fringes of the main campaign. And good new ending music too, all in all a good start to the DLC.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Complete local saturation" is instantly on the all-time great RE lines list, and I completely missed it in my own playthrough :negative:

In my defense, that's because my audio setup decided to break in a way that mutes all the codec audio, so I just tuned out those conversations, so I'm really glad it got brought up here. Yeah, right up there with "that boulder-punching rear end in a top hat" for great RE5 callbacks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Eh, I had fun, there are also a few gameplay differences that I miss in the main game now, which helps this stand apart. Ten bucks for a couple four hour playthroughs plus however much I'll revisit it in the future seems perfectly fine to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wa11y posted:

I thought they were hinting at an upcoming Control LP.

< This outcome would be Acceptable/Enjoyed >

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I did enjoy seeing dropped pieces of the main game show up here, the laser hallway in particular was something I missed. I always wondered if this guy was completely new or a reuse of something during the original game's development. I guess I could've googled it at any time, but that's what I watch LPs for :tipshat:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, I like the shield grab move, I really wish it made it back into the main game for Leon in NG+ or something. More rear end in a top hat(ish) physics would be fun, too, conking dudes with stuff flying around is always a good time in games.

And that boss fight played out a lot differently in both of my runs. Running up behind the altar at the back end of the room turned it into a long distance fight, Saddler stayed back far enough to keep the rifle viable with a few long range dodges, and he went down in few enough shots that I never had to get in close. That was on normal difficulty, so maybe it doesn't work if he lasts longer on higher levels.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aw boo, I knew it was coming but I hate to see it ends. It was a fun revisit, I was glad to see the bits of the original you all added in - I guess it's telling that I've probably replayed the OG game more than any other big campaign, but I barely remember anything about the original Separate Ways.

And yeah, the ending really got me wanting a 5 remake. I figured the problems with the original were too big for them to bother, but it sure feels like they're hinting at it. If they can do something with the good parts and ditch the..."problematic" stuff and lazy design, I'm totally on board.

Anyway, hope Argate gets better soon. I'll be curious to see anything from Mercenaries mode since I barely touch that myself.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

They should allow inventory Tetris in 5.

:hai:
I want to support their shift to co-op multiplayer because it adds a fun element for a lot of people, but as someone who only plays solo, it really dumbed down a lot of that stuff. A tiny, real-time inventory that gets swapped out at each little chapter break, that removes a lot of the fun and ongoing strategy from 4, I'd love it if they retooled that whole system.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, that was a nice unexpected surprise. God bless you, and thank you for your service, Tofu :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wesker looks fun as hell to play, even if he's a villainous sociopath attempting to destroy the human race, and worse, a redditor. I think he'd be my best playstyle fit if this mode had a bit more to draw me in.

Anyway, thanks again for doing the LP, it's been a ton of fun the whole time through!