Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I wondered about the cop at the beginning, if you could shoot torch guy. Not surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I know he's carrying an axe, but since the boards are on top of the trapdoor my read on that guy has always been that he'd been nailing them down rather than trying to break in.

That was my read too. I mean what's the story otherwise? Luis jimmied the trapdoor shut, then tied himself up, then taped his mouth, then stuffed himself in a burlap sack? To avoid getting got?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

You had asked about the first games to feature QTE. Technically the first was Dragon's Lair in 1983, but the entire game was QTE, and that feels kind of cheaty. For a game with separate gameplay and QTE during cinematics, the first appears to be Die Hard Arcade in 96 from SEGA. The first popular use of it would be Shenmue from 99, and the term Quick Time Event was coined by one of the game's designers (Yu Suzuki), also from SEGA. God of War and RE4 both came out in 2005.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

There's another Attaché management game coming out on steam, soon-ish. God of Weapons. It's a vaguely VS like, run around and auto-attack game, where you level up, but the level ups really just let you expand your case. 2 squares at a time, and you have to manage your damage output and recovery items by tetrising things around. Has a demo out, but it's very early https://store.steampowered.com/app/2342950/God_Of_Weapons/

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Something I've wondered about RE4, but the remake specifically - Do headshots increase the chance of a Ganado spawning a plagas head? Is it random? Or is it a seed thing?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

In the video you asked about what triggers Ashley to leave the lockers, and I think it's proximity. You left through the gate, and I think that's far enough away she decided to leave. I watched another LP where they did the same thing much sooner into the fight with the sisters, and Ashley got nabbed almost immediately.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I'm a little surprised that after all the times you point a gun barrel directly at the audience, I'm pretty sure you never examine Mendez's fake eye and have it stare everyone down.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I appreciated the "Turn based RPG" joke

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

IIRC Dolly Parton also lost a look alike contest

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Ramon base is from Annausagi on Deviant Art. I can't promise there's not some X-rated stuff there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

On Luis, I imagine instead that he saw the old Don Coyote and Sancho Panda cartoons.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Between 15 and about 25 seconds there is some piece of pipe that looks like a top hat lying on the floor.

So in the OG RE4, Louis' death comes much sooner. Also, Leon has another classic line, crying out, but mispronouncing his name as "Lewis".

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

EDIT: Removed per request

Sorry, didn't think about that.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 19, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I feel like I missed something here - that boat with Ada ride wasn't in the lake where Moby Carp was, was it?

Imagine it like this. The game takes place in and around a European coastal fishing hamlet. There's the small village with several houses, a church and a road leading out (the village's best feature). On the outskirts of town is the mayor's home on one end and then a few boat houses. Next you have a lake, which seems to mostly contain bass. Dotted around the lake are several caves, and a water path that leads to a fish processing plant. Beyond the lake there is a small quarry, and a path that leads to the castle. Beneath the castle is a mine, where the main export appears to be brain parasites, and brain parasite adjacent materials. Once you exit the castle you are at the ocean, and the island/offshore rig where we currently are. Here is where the underground lab is located.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Going from a lovely village, to a castle to a research facility then a big mining area filled with military types is just such a harsh cut.

It is kind of odd to see the game start in a village with basic turn of last century farming tools (minus the gas powered chainsaws), and oil lamps, and ox powered carts, and then 5 miles away, an island with state of the art (for 1997) PCs and electric gates, and push-button liquid nitrogen showers.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But it's still all owned by the local vampire plagas king who's controlling everyone?

I believe that Salazar is the local royalty (presumably prince regent?), but the guy with the actual influence is Sadler.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think we've seen the last of any female enemies at this point. None of the soldier enemies are women as far as I know.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bibidi, Babidi, Buu

Doesn't help that there are between 4 and 8 versions of Buu, depending on how you classify them.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Secret Service responsibility only extends to former president's children until they are 16. Lifetime protection only covers the former president and their spouse, but is terminated if the marriage is ended, but also the other person remarries. So if Melania were ever to divorce Trump, she's still covered, until she gets remarried.

So, assuming that Ashley is 16 now, her father is president and finishes his term, the Secret Service protection ends for her then. There can be special extensions granted (maybe like she was kidnapped, drugged, infected with an unknown biological agent, assaulted and traumatized) but generally anything post presidential term would be done by private security, paid for out of pocket by the target themselves.

So unfortunately, no wacky farce where there's an ever expanding crisscrossing line of related agents diving in front of machine gun fire

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

That explains why Hillary is still married.

It's probably more that she is still involved in politics and it's better PR to be married (even to a serial cheater) than to be divorced. But she'd still be covered, until she gets remarried. So divorced is OK, remarried is not.

theenglishman posted:

I would gladly watch that sitcom.

I'm picturing a wedding, where a champagne cork goes off, and dozens of people attempt to tackle the bride.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Krauser with the single Bio-weapon arm looks like he should be a guest character in the next Soul Caliber

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also, parasite jokes aside, remake Krauser totally gave me Metal Gear vibes the whole time, it's like he stepped right out of that franchise. My favorite little detail is his DEATH/GLORY patch featuring himself as a chibi skull and crossknives, which I can only assume is a homemade attempt to give himself more flair.

I love it, and it also feels like something a Metal Gear character has to have done at some point.

He's the Great Value brand, knife themed version of Revolver Ocelot: Bowie-knife Bobcat. Played here by 1984 era Rutger Hauer

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I'm not going to say that Ada's voice actress is overall bad, but her delivery for this entire video is lifeless. I think a lot of that falls on the shoulders of poor writing but so much of the delivery is flat as hell. For someone who is generally portrayed as a femme fatale, delivering lines like :effort: "So. He wants me to deliver the Amber. An Ill omen. *yawn* Who will pay it's dark cost?" It's such a waste.

Again, I think that's bad writing though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Maybe she's testing him, to make sure he hasn't backslid into being as jaded as she pretends to be since their last meeting.

If he's still the do-right boy scout, then she gets him a motorboat and jet-ski at the end, because he's doing the right thing. Maybe if she and Luis were successful in getting the serum together and Leon did not solve that problem himself, she would be OK with helping him.

OTOH, if he is like "You're right, to hell with the helpless girl." Then maybe she knows to not waste her time anymore. Or even more generously, maybe she then has the idea in the back of her head to try and convince Wesker to rescue Ashley, as she'd be a good bargaining chip.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I enjoyed the RBF references

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I just realized that while the Ada melee animations are cooler looking, they really lack the audio oomph and camera shake that Leon gets. It makes them feel weaker, even though I'm pretty sure mechanically they do the same damage.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Did RE invent the "shoot the red/orange glowy bit for pus-exploding extra damage" mechanic?

Glowing weak points have been a video game mechanic since forever. Even combining zombies and gross body parts might have been house of the dead first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Great thumbnail with the magic fingers on Hunk there.