Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

liquidypoo posted:

I'm gonna say that it's the lighting doing something weird to Leon's hair. It'll probably start to look more normal as we lose daylight in-game
This is specifically an issue with the hair strands option, which causes Leon's luxurious locks to be lit incorrectly at times. The default hair is a little bit less dynamic but tends to look better to my eye, and you also save a few frames per second because even the power of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X can't handle the full might of Leon S. Kennedy's hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

The first popular use of it would be Shenmue from 99, and the term Quick Time Event was coined by one of the game's designers (Yu Suzuki), also from SEGA. God of War and RE4 both came out in 2005.
Only weird freaks care about Shenmue*, so I still blame RE4 for popularizing QTEs.

*please don't ask how much I contributed to the Shenmue III kickstarter campaign :eng99:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

While the GameCube version did come on two discs and the PS2 had just one, those proprietary GameCube discs only held 1.46 GB each whereas the PS2 DVD had at least 4.7 GB available. Disc space was definitely not the reason why the PS2 version is as rough as it is.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I booted up the PS2 version and while it's obviously downgraded in various ways, it doesn't look all that bad when running at 480p and upscaled with the RetroTINK 5X.

Well, the gameplay doesn't look that bad. The FMVs are a different story.

I remember trying to play this version with composite cables back in the day. It was a horrendous blurry mess on my 720p TV and I could barely even see the laser sight. That was the moment I realized investing in better video cables for my non-HD consoles might actually not be a bad idea.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 25, 2023

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

But also, in weirdly coincidental gameplay moments, I've finally been getting into Assassin's Creed Black Flag lately, and what does it have but a harpooning side activity that uses the Del Lago mechanics. Standing up front in a tiny boat, you spear a shark and then try to harpoon it as it tows you along. Eventually it breaks the line and disappears, and you have to try to hit it again when it reappears before it can attack the boat. Aiming and throwing harpoons feels about as janky with the thumbstick, except the game did include gyro aiming controls which help it go down easier. Nothing earth shattering, it's just new to me and I thought it was funny to pop up right after that last video.
Black Flag also lets you upgrade your harpoon strength, and at higher levels anything smaller than Del Lago dies in a couple of hits.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

They thought he looked like Piggsy from Manhunt (who wears a pig mask and nothing else, so maybe don't google him at work) but I prefer to call him Mantaur:

Half man, half minotaur. Yes, I know that doesn't make any sense. Blame Vince McMahon, it was his idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There were so many names to remember I just started glossing over them all. So when Saruman did the big face turn and everyone was shocked, it confused the hell out of me because I thought everyone knew he was evil.
I think you mean heel turn. Face turn would mean he was turning babyface, i.e. good.