Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Dave the Diver is a casual, singleplayer adventure RPG featuring deep-sea exploration and fishing during the day and sushi restaurant management at night. Join Dave and his quirky friends as they seek to uncover the secrets of the mysterious Blue Hole.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256955037/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1687942831

Dave the Diver is a cute little fishing/diving game where the core game loop consists of diving into the blue hole to catch fish by day and serving the fish in a sushi restaurant at night. At first, you have one cook and you serve by yourself. Then you hire employees. Then you start farming. And it keeps going. It honestly keeps adding more and more stuff way beyond what I expected with various minigames every now and then. The core loop is extremely good and fun. You hunt fish then sell sushi and use the money for personal upgrades or employees or a bunch of other stuff. Dave gets a melee, harpoon and gun to start off with although the melee and harpoon only get temporary upgrades underwater while the gun can be customized and upgraded in various ways permanently. The pixel art is incredibly charming and works well even in cutscenes, most of which are hilarious. Every new cutscene is a treat.

I dropped basically all my other games to play this and I'm still not done after 35~ hours. I think my only complaint is that the special drops for upgrading guns can be a bit too grindy and the lack of automation for lategame farming gets tedious. Otherwise, A++++ game, highly recommend. Works perfectly on Steam deck too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSicBmL-zI

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

gently caress the Mako Shark!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

How reflexes dependent is the game? I've heard everyone raving about it, but I have the reaction speed and agility of a dead fish, so I'd like to know that I'm not going to just suck at the game before I jump in.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

skeleton warrior posted:

How reflexes dependent is the game? I've heard everyone raving about it, but I have the reaction speed and agility of a dead fish, so I'd like to know that I'm not going to just suck at the game before I jump in.

The actual game is fine action wise I find, some sharks still get me now and then, but that's also me neglecting my 02 (your HP/diving resource). I'll be honest: the QTE with (some/most) of the harpoons in this game are the frustrating parts to me. Even worse if you are on mouse + keyboard. The steam thread complaining about it had 43 pages before it was locked. Big tip: increase the base harpoon strength to bypass the QTE "minigame" as much as possible. And get tranq guns, sleeping fish give the best quality too

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Think I'm close to the end, so far I feel like the game is wide, but not very deep. Lots of content but the thing you'll be doing the most is grinding out the same few areas with little variety, and swimming circles around sharks waiting for the right time to shoot them.

Game has great art and is dripping style, but has some flaws, I'd say maybe 7-8/10?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I loved this game at the start but the deeper I got into the story I started to fall a little out of love with it, not that it's ruined the experience for me but the mechanics and minigames and that sort of thing keep coming throughout the entire game and some are worse/more annoying than others. I really enjoy the loop of catching fish and selling sushi to make money which allows me to buy better equipment to dive deeper to catch better fish to sell for more money, etc and every time the game forced me out of that loop I got kinda irked. There's some frustrating design choices like having to swim around the sea people village OR pay Bei to ride the manatee thing, the annoying forced stealth section that you have to go on immediately after getting on the boat with no way to quit/save until you've finished the whole section or having some quests force you to come back to the boat after finishing them with no way to know beforehand that it's about to happen. I am in chapter 6 now and I think pretty close to finishing the story and it sounds like there may be some postgame stuff that is more open ended so I'm looking forward to that.

Fun game but I think the story overstays its welcome a bit and at this point I'm ready to wrap it up.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's an interesting game.

I'm also on chapter 6 and I kind of agree with what was said above that your control gets jerked away a bit too often for the game to go off on a tangent. Those tangents are usually high effort but often not what I was really in the mood to get railroaded into. Add in a general mild disrespect of your time feeling with the gratuitous backtracking and the general slowness of pretty much everything in the sea people village.

I guess I don't really understand why outlets gave it 9s and 10s but it's aight

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I got this during the summer sale and I am having so much fun. Just a chill atmosphere with fun exploration.

My one complaint: narwhal roe

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
if you described the individual elements of this game to me you'd think i'd dislike it, but they do everything just right (except maybe a little more grinding than suits some people i guess)

i do think it could do with a few more swimming areas, but i'm probably not that close to the end, so maybe i'll get some

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Does fast travel beocme a thing at any point? I just had what I assume is a bug at 300' where a cutscene started, it ended and I had gone from ~115 to 40 and was at critical depth... so I died before I could get more oxygen and now I've lost 20 minutes of gameplay which half of the time was just going through all of the areas to get to this spot. The only complaint I have about this entire game is just how loving boring using UV light on worms is, and I assume once I finish this save the princess part it'll bless me with something so I don't need to anymore.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If any of y'all want to trivialize the difficulty invest in the sleep dart rifle. 40% chance to make literally anything fall asleep.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Does it work on bosses? Maybe I should give the game more credit, I saw that and assumed it would not work on things that actually mattered

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

faantastic posted:

Does fast travel beocme a thing at any point? I just had what I assume is a bug at 300' where a cutscene started, it ended and I had gone from ~115 to 40 and was at critical depth... so I died before I could get more oxygen and now I've lost 20 minutes of gameplay which half of the time was just going through all of the areas to get to this spot. The only complaint I have about this entire game is just how loving boring using UV light on worms is, and I assume once I finish this save the princess part it'll bless me with something so I don't need to anymore.

Regarding fast travel:

Once you reach the underwater village you'll unlock a mirror on your boat that lets you teleport there instantly. Also works to transport to the end zone once you've reached it

Regarding the spoilered text:

You get a charm later that lets you go through the worms without a light like the mermaids. Useful for a while but you stop needing to go through that area as much once you have fast travel, I ended up dropping it for more relevant perks

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

No Mods No Masters posted:

Does it work on bosses? Maybe I should give the game more credit, I saw that and assumed it would not work on things that actually mattered

stuns minibosses, the two bosses I've fought yet were frankly easier than some of the sharks and adjacent critters lol

Its top end damage will eventually be outclassed, I suspect, but even then it's a really great weapon for regular dives

the second boss I didn't have the tranq rifle yet but turns out that lucking into two sets of proximity bombs is very, very funny

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The net gun is a good option for the same reason, and both the net gun and the sleep dart can be upgraded to let you net/sleep larger things like sharks and tuna. The real GOAT however is the red squeaky hammer because you just need to swim up to something and mash melee until it falls asleep then scoop it up. And it works with anything (except for boss-rear end bosses)

Edit: Very late game spoilers: I just finished the section where you have to control Dave and Suwam at the same time and thought that was actually a pretty well done section. Some of this stuff lands but running from the pirates as Dr Bacon or swimming through the tunnel with the Beluga kinda sucks. The stealth section was meh too but laughed at the MGS references. At least they're all over pretty quickly.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 11, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Don't get me wrong, I agree most of the bosses are pretty straightforward, but the guy did say literally anything.

So far nothing in the game I've seen has been in remotely the same ballpark of dangerousness as that one shark with a whip for a tail. Jesus christ

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
all sharks are chumps with tranq rifle and drones. nighty-night idiot, have a nice trip :byewhore:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah sharks are free money.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

even if you have to kill the shark, stunning it lets you reposition and unload a couple more shots, each of which has a 40% chance of stunning it again

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

poly and open-minded posted:

I got this during the summer sale and I am having so much fun. Just a chill atmosphere with fun exploration.

My one complaint: narwhal roe

The Imp I knew would have no problems sourcing whale spunk.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Roe has a very specific meaning!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ah yeah, most of the harpoon qtes suck. I wish they'd put in an option to skip them or something. The harpoon caps out on damage really early too. Still, I'm down to buy whatever dlc they make. I can always use more dave in my life.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, I just crafted the fully upgraded tranq dart and it is very much worth going for. Fish fall asleep immediately after getting hit and you can put sharks to sleep with two darts.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Making fish sleep is better than the highest tier net imo. More versatile.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I was really getting pissed off at this game but I finally pushed through the awful story missions, and once you finish you unlock some cool stuff that's more focused on fishing and running a restaurant. I'm glad for that but I wish they'd believed in (and expanded) the core gameplay a little more.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Adam Bowen posted:

I wish they'd believed in (and expanded) the core gameplay a little more.

same, i'm not done with them yet but they really seem like effort that should have gone into the core loop. some of them are cute and fun but they should have cut the 1/2 of them that are just half baked.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I like the distractions but I basically have 3 things going on per day for the last couple of days and it feels a bit much.

I know part of that's on me for rushing the campaign, but one day of just chill fishing would be nice

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

explosivo posted:

I loved this game at the start but the deeper I got into the story I started to fall a little out of love with it, not that it's ruined the experience for me but the mechanics and minigames and that sort of thing keep coming throughout the entire game and some are worse/more annoying than others. I really enjoy the loop of catching fish and selling sushi to make money which allows me to buy better equipment to dive deeper to catch better fish to sell for more money, etc and every time the game forced me out of that loop I got kinda irked. There's some frustrating design choices like having to swim around the sea people village OR pay Bei to ride the manatee thing, the annoying forced stealth section that you have to go on immediately after getting on the boat with no way to quit/save until you've finished the whole section or having some quests force you to come back to the boat after finishing them with no way to know beforehand that it's about to happen. I am in chapter 6 now and I think pretty close to finishing the story and it sounds like there may be some postgame stuff that is more open ended so I'm looking forward to that.

Fun game but I think the story overstays its welcome a bit and at this point I'm ready to wrap it up.

Totally agree - the best parts of the game are very front-loaded, and the back half gets repetitive and frequently frustrating.

I still got a good 25-30 hours out of it, but I’m ready to let it go. It’s starting to really lean in to dumb and poorly designed boss fights, the management sim scales poorly once you get to platinum tier, and the story isn’t going anywhere particularly interesting.

That said - that first 10-15 hours were pure magic in terms of presentation and the next 10 were a very solid loop.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I got sucked in by the really nice pixel art, but I am really enjoying the gameplay loop. Sounds like I need to build the sleepygun looks like, I always like getting the toy hammer because it basically does the same thing.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
This is a fantastic little (large) game. This is a steal for under 20 bucks.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

'No, it's the environmentalists that are wrong' I say to myself as I scoop up seahorses with a net and shoot a grenade launcher at a shark

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the game's messaging is a bit muddled when you're fighting the bad guys who are I guess using the sea creatures to do.. bad things.. but I'm going around shooting every living creature I find including prehistoric dinosaur fish for monetary gain.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Alctel posted:

'No, it's the environmentalists that are wrong' I say to myself as I scoop up seahorses with a net and shoot a grenade launcher at a shark

I took the environmental stuff to be a direct parody of Paul Watson more than anything.

Though, there's absolutely every reason for environmentalists to hate Cobras operation even if Dave sheds a tear over a sea turtle choking on a plastic bag right before bludgeoning a tuna to death because he's out of drones.

Deki fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 12, 2023

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
There's no way to save in between those scenes where you have access to your phone is there? I really like the gameplay loop but sometimes I'm just.planning for a quick dive or bout of restaurant management and don't really want to play a rhythm game in some nerd's dream.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

McCoy Pauley posted:

There's no way to save in between those scenes where you have access to your phone is there? I really like the gameplay loop but sometimes I'm just.planning for a quick dive or bout of restaurant management and don't really want to play a rhythm game in some nerd's dream.

No, there's not, and there will be other times where that happens too. I think it auto saves so technically you might be able to bail out and come back at that point but I've never tested it.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

McCoy Pauley posted:

That's my greatest gripe. I had 15 minutes to kill the other day before hopping in a car for 4 hours. Came back up and got roped into some guitar hero bullshit mini game. WTF. Task manager end program.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As much as this gameplay doesn't need more overlapping content some sort of morality or ethic system actually would have worked for me. Getting bumps for "invasive" species (which by the way how does that work when other wildlife from all over the world just magically teleports there but aren't invasive somehow?) And breeding and releasing endangered wildlife. Catch too many vulnerable fish in a short period and get a big hit to your social media and even protests at the high end.

Make the narwhal ridiculously expensive to sell but have it basically guarantee that a bunch of people will do a sit-in when you open for a while to deny you spaces. I'd rather have that as a mechanic than a tamagachi or fish wearing hats.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Eifert Posting posted:

If any of y'all want to trivialize the difficulty invest in the sleep dart rifle. 40% chance to make literally anything fall asleep.

Is that how it works? Maybe you can explain what the 3 dots that appear above the fish when you tranq them means ?

Also I got my rear end kicked by the Great White Shark, so I figured I would come back once I upgraded my oxygen tank and weapons, but now it stopped raining. Did I miss my chance for revenge or does he come back eventually?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Away all Goats posted:

Is that how it works? Maybe you can explain what the 3 dots that appear above the fish when you tranq them means ?

Means they have been tranq'd but haven't fallen asleep yet. Usually takes a few seconds but bigger fish can't be put to sleep without the last dart gun upgrade, so if you're shooting a shark or big fish with it they'll get the three dots and they're slow but won't fall asleep.

Also you'll get another chance for those bosses. Next time it rains they'll tell you about it.