Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Is that how it works? Maybe you can explain what the 3 dots that appear above the fish when you tranq them means ?

Also I got my rear end kicked by the Great White Shark, so I figured I would come back once I upgraded my oxygen tank and weapons, but now it stopped raining. Did I miss my chance for revenge or does he come back eventually?

Once you get to what I would call midway through the story You gain the ability to upgrade a basic rifle to a sleep dart rifle. It's different from the one that looks like a paintball gun.

It has a 40% chance to put anything that's not a boss to sleep every time you hit it. Most of the time for larger and deeper animals that means you can almost certainly rely on the creature going to sleep before you kill it. It can be a bit of a liability and situations where you actually want to kill things because, if you don't have a drone, You can't keep damaging the creature without waking it up.

Up until the late game if you're trying to collect anything medium or larger alive it's your best choice.

I have to say I hate how they made it impossible to reference what the base stats are for a recipe after you upgrade it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Eifert Posting posted:

Once you get to what I would call midway through the story You gain the ability to upgrade a basic rifle to a sleep dart rifle. It's different from the one that looks like a paintball gun.

Ohhhh. I thought you guys were referring to the Hush Dart that does 0 damage. Turns out it's impossible to actually sleep any of the sharks with that.

For pure damage though I rocked with the multi-shot weapon that fires 3-4 for most of the game and had zero issues with combat until the Great White battle.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Away all Goats posted:

Ohhhh. I thought you guys were referring to the Hush Dart that does 0 damage. Turns out it's impossible to actually sleep any of the sharks with that.

For pure damage though I rocked with the multi-shot weapon that fires 3-4 for most of the game and had zero issues with combat until the Great White battle.

I was talking about the hush dart, there is a final upgrade for it that is not unlocked until the last tier of upgrades are available that can put sharks and other large fish to sleep with two darts. Before you get to that point it only slows down sharks.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

explosivo posted:

I was talking about the hush dart, there is a final upgrade for it that is not unlocked until the last tier of upgrades are available that can put sharks and other large fish to sleep with two darts. Before you get to that point it only slows down sharks.

Interesting. But it seems kind of a waste of invest that many resources into getting the final tier when the tranq rifle is just one upgrade away from the base rifle.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You're probably right but I decided to invest my resources into upgrading one killin' gun and one sleepin' gun and switched when necessary. Nice thing about the dart is it's a guaranteed sleep in one hit on fish so it's really good for scooping up lots of 3* fish without running the risk of killing them with the tranq rifle (which I think still does some damage, right?).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Away all Goats posted:

Is that how it works? Maybe you can explain what the 3 dots that appear above the fish when you tranq them means ?

Also I got my rear end kicked by the Great White Shark, so I figured I would come back once I upgraded my oxygen tank and weapons, but now it stopped raining. Did I miss my chance for revenge or does he come back eventually?

storms happen periodically, there's nothing in the game I'm aware of that's missable (...maybe the early dolphin quest if you gently caress it up?)

e: also the tranq rifle can chain proc, which makes an even better shark killer than it looks - the shark will stay asleep if you roll goodly again

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Finished this tonight, while I don't think everything lands every time I gotta respect them going for it and constantly changing things up throughout the whole game down to the last boss fight. Game's got heart and the credits sequence made me smile. Probably not going to come back to get that last Foodsta rank but I really enjoyed this one in the end.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am going to play through until I have enough money to break the game. I really like the planning needed to upgrade dishes.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

It didn't even occur to me that the regular tranq weapons can put big fish to sleep, I was just relying on my luck to find the tranq harpoon or bonk hammer (altho fuuuuck trying to get sharks with that). Hush dart is OP

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Triple Axel is a better gun to slap tranq on since each bullet makes a roll for the status effect. It rarely takes more than one shot to knock out a big fish.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Really? I was worried since the shots are all going to hit at a very slightly different time that they would occasionally cancel each other out when asleep dart procs before the non-sleep one.

I'm working on a super detailed guide for recipes and most of the advice online is loving garbage. The most limiting factor for all of these recipes is farm space and people are recommending a dish that cooks for one item and uses three vegetables. IMO vegetable sushi is one of the worst things you can pick.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Alright I finished the main story. The main story can be finished well before the restaurant is fully upgraded and everything is discovered.

Some pro tips:
#1. The farmer makes a happy little clap when you harvest crops. Keep an eye out for that.

#2. After you break out of the tiger shark bite by mashing the mouse button, a little white disc shows up. You are supposed to overlap that with a glowing dot on the shark's head. Took me a while to realize that.
Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB-_dw0m-no&t=17s

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Is there some point with the fish farm where it will become apparent to me that it's better to send fish from there directly to the restaurant rather than fish for them myself? So far it seems like there aren't that many fish in each of my different areas and I'm not sure if I want to have stock at a certain level before I start selling it, or should I feel free just to sell whatever is there and count on getting more fish eggs while I'm out diving.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is there some point with the fish farm where it will become apparent to me that it's better to send fish from there directly to the restaurant rather than fish for them myself? So far it seems like there aren't that many fish in each of my different areas and I'm not sure if I want to have stock at a certain level before I start selling it, or should I feel free just to sell whatever is there and count on getting more fish eggs while I'm out diving.

You'll pretty much always be getting new fish and eggs as long as you're making efforts to tranq or net most fish, so I just made sure I had at least two fish of each type so they'll reproduce then send the rest to the restaurant for dishes/enhancing. I never really thought about specifically trying to grow the fish farm but almost always had poo poo tons of fish in there for the restaurant every day.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

explosivo posted:

You'll pretty much always be getting new fish and eggs as long as you're making efforts to tranq or net most fish, so I just made sure I had at least two fish of each type so they'll reproduce then send the rest to the restaurant for dishes/enhancing. I never really thought about specifically trying to grow the fish farm but almost always had poo poo tons of fish in there for the restaurant every day.

Thanks. So as long as I leave two of each fish in the farm, I'm clear to send the rest to the restaurant?

And if I have only one fish in the farm, it's a sign I need to go tranq/net at least one more of the fish?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. So as long as I leave two of each fish in the farm, I'm clear to send the rest to the restaurant?

And if I have only one fish in the farm, it's a sign I need to go tranq/net at least one more of the fish?

Pretty much, yeah, obviously more than 2 means they'll reproduce faster but if you want them to passively make new fish you need to keep at least two. I always keep the highest rank possible, 2 3*'s or 1 2* and 1 3*. Not sure if that matters but I tried to keep two of the best ones in the tank.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
It it better to use the auto refill than maxing out meals in the menu, in order to avoid throwing away anything. I do realize that it could use up everything, but it seems like a better option than throwing anything away.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Rincewinds posted:

It it better to use the auto refill than maxing out meals in the menu, in order to avoid throwing away anything. I do realize that it could use up everything, but it seems like a better option than throwing anything away.

I think there's some earlier discussion here on this with more detail, but I've stopped using the auto-refill, which seem often to guarantee you throw away one of each dish that's on auto, and instead cook exactly the number of servings for the customers I get based on my Cooksta rating. Like with my Gold rating I get 28 people a night, so I make 28 total servings of a variety of dishes and sell all of those with no waste. I think at the next rank it's 35 people, so then I'll increase the servings to 35. This avoids the waste that happens when the cooks auto-fill dishes at the end of the night when there are no more customers. And I think with this plan the only two things you have to watch out for are (1) having enough variety that people don't get mad (i.e., don't just have 28 servings of one soup -- people want variety); and (2) being careful that some recipes make more than one serving -- like I have some soups that make 10 servings, so if I put that on the menu I need only 18 more servings before I'm topped out.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
I use auto refill on one serving recipes and then make a few (3-4) of the multi serving recipes that don't have auto refill on. I figure when they sell out of the 4-5 servings of the things that I make that use the more rare resource they'll fill up on one-shot sushi orders that refill, and I don't care about losing out on the odd chunk of meat from waste.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

For a game that generally has good design decisions, I don't know why they decided people should have to manage two different location's inventories.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
This is maybe a dumb question, but if I'm out on the boat in the morning before my first dive, can I freely go back and forth to the fish farm, regular farm, and restaurant without losing time? That is, does time pass on the lock only when I dive (or in the evenings when I open the restaurant)?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

McCoy Pauley posted:

This is maybe a dumb question, but if I'm out on the boat in the morning before my first dive, can I freely go back and forth to the fish farm, regular farm, and restaurant without losing time? That is, does time pass on the lock only when I dive (or in the evenings when I open the restaurant)?

Yes, you can go between locations as much as you want without advancing time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Imo the fish farm is for small fish. The big ones breed super slowly and only give you about a quarter of what you get. Max out the drones and get something to put large critters to sleep as soon as you can.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

just got gifted this, had never heard of it. looks very much my poo poo. gonna shoot me a shork

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I just Rescued the Beluga

How much longer is left in the main game? I'm feeling like I'm in the home stretch despite still unlocking new stuff regularly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deki posted:

How much longer is left in the main game? I'm feeling like I'm in the home stretch despite still unlocking new stuff regularly.

You're almost done, a couple hours at most. I unlocked cocktails for the sushi bar literally the night before the last dive so you'll continue to unlock stuff right up to the end of the story.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Deki posted:

I just finished the main questline. You're maybe 90% of the way through.

Overall I'd give the game a 7/10. The first third had a great little game loop, the second third aka when you met the sea people and had a bunch of boring fetch quests was a bit slow, the final third picked up the pace outside of a few annoying boss fights. I had fun but have no intention of doing the additional side quest content to 100% it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's worth mentioning that it's very possible to beat the story before you unlock everything with the restaurant.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

I turned on my TV and the Roku fish flashed on the screen. I reached for my diving mask.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Solid 9.5/10 for me, loved this game. Haven't played a chill game that had so much love put into every detail since Stardew. Every single stormy night happened on a special ingredient night so I didn't end up getting my first GYAO! until after the credits lol, the otherwise super not-grindy 100% will likely be waiting for when the DLC drops. I've got to raise 5 different ones apparently, do I just let them die over and over until I randomly get all 5? I don't see a way to release my dolphin

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Do we have a list of the number of customers per night per level in the restaurant? I hate to throw away even virtual food.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Fat Samurai posted:

Do we have a list of the number of customers per night per level in the restaurant? I hate to throw away even virtual food.

Too many variables, in particular your furniture makes a difference.
However if you add (1) of each menu item and then the set the auto supply option after adding it you wont have minimal waste.
Auto Supply should be the default, it's dumb that it's not. There is no penalty for using it.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

drewhead posted:

Too many variables, in particular your furniture makes a difference.
However if you add (1) of each menu item and then the set the auto supply option after adding it you wont have minimal waste.
Auto Supply should be the default, it's dumb that it's not. There is no penalty for using it.

Interesting -- I had assumed it was basically static based on your Cooksta rating, and not thought of there being a furniture component. How does furniture impact things -- can you buy different seats and fit more people in?

I only started paying attention to this when I was Gold in Cooksta, but based on that rating and never having touched anything decor/furniture in my restaurant, I was consistently getting 28 people a night. Now that I'm platinum it seems to be 35-36 people (although I could be having leftovers based on one cook with a talent that results in extra dishes sometimes).

if you know the number of customers, making exactly that many servings seems like a better option that auto-supplying all your dishes, since auto-supply seems to guarantee one extra, unused dish made for each recipe every night. Although that's assuming waste even matters that much -- I seem to have quite a lot of all the ingredients all the time.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I haven’t been using auto supply much because I want to steer customers to higher-priced dishes. I’m currently at Gold and seem to get 28 customers a night. If I have, say, 20 servings of really valuable dishes and then a bunch of less expensive stuff, I’ll try to prep only 8 dishes of the cheaper stuff. My thinking is that if I set the cheap stuff to auto-supply, customers might order more of that and less of the fancy items. But I have no idea how customers choose what to order so this might not be necessary.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bold Robot posted:

I haven’t been using auto supply much because I want to steer customers to higher-priced dishes. I’m currently at Gold and seem to get 28 customers a night. If I have, say, 20 servings of really valuable dishes and then a bunch of less expensive stuff, I’ll try to prep only 8 dishes of the cheaper stuff. My thinking is that if I set the cheap stuff to auto-supply, customers might order more of that and less of the fancy items. But I have no idea how customers choose what to order so this might not be necessary.

Customers will order whatever is on the menu at random until it's depleted, once everything is sold out they'll start ordering norimaki. You don't have to worry about menu variation, if you have the ingredients to put out 30 servings of your most expensive dish it's generally best to do so. Might have been nice if there was some system where having a more diverse menu would add to your rating but in practice serving cheaper dishes only hurts your bottom line.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It ends up being 45 at the highest level.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Customers will order whatever is on the menu at random until it's depleted, once everything is sold out they'll start ordering norimaki. You don't have to worry about menu variation, if you have the ingredients to put out 30 servings of your most expensive dish it's generally best to do so. Might have been nice if there was some system where having a more diverse menu would add to your rating but in practice serving cheaper dishes only hurts your bottom line.

I thought I read somewhere that lack of variety does actually make ppl mad

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Game was good, but could've done with a pass trimming a bunch of the systems. Did not particularly need 4 different farms

Also the statue puzzle in the mid-late game was finnicky as hell

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Alctel posted:

I thought I read somewhere that lack of variety does actually make ppl mad

I don't exactly what the limits are, but there was one night I stupidly whipped up just 30 servings of one kind of soup -- failing to realize that each "order" fed like 6 people or whatever -- and just went with, and most customers left in a huff. Have at least 4-5 things seems to be optimal, even it's all the most expensive stuff you can make. I don't think I've yet noticed anybody walking because there weren't modestly priced menu options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Falcorum posted:

Game was good, but could've done with a pass trimming a bunch of the systems. Did not particularly need 4 different farms

Also the statue puzzle in the mid-late game was finnicky as hell

two of the bits you just turn as far as they'll go, then move the third a notch at the time till it clicks