Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Alctel posted:

I thought I read somewhere that lack of variety does actually make ppl mad

Not that I could observe, maybe there's some hidden value that I didn't notice. Towards the end of the game the only thing I was putting on my menu was ~30 servings of the most expensive shark sushi I had and people would order it until it went out of stock, the only time I saw customers leaving angry was when I was too slow serving them. I think the game gives you a set number of customers each night based on your overall progression but they all have infinite money and no personal preferences, as long as there's something left to order they'll do so.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Whenever I put up a special meal after defeating a boss, I make sure fill the rest of the meny with singular meals and once all the servings of the special meal is taken, I set the rest to auto supply, so that I dont end up with throwing away food worth 500-600.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's worth saying that you shouldn't save the boss dishes. If you save them before you know it they'll be the least valuable thing on the menu.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Getting kinda tired of getting interrupted to do mandatory tutorials and quests connected to the story. I just got the veggie farm and tuna trap. How much more stuff is this game gonna throw at me before I can just catch fish and serve sushi?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

40-Degree Day posted:

Getting kinda tired of getting interrupted to do mandatory tutorials and quests connected to the story. I just got the veggie farm and tuna trap. How much more stuff is this game gonna throw at me before I can just catch fish and serve sushi?

A lot, but you can fail every one of them infinite times and they'll come back around again. There are only a handful that you have to pass before you can go on and they are all pretty easy, just annoying as gently caress

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The core gameplay is visually satisfying and engaging but it's very shallow. There were moments where I got annoyed with the distractions during the course of the game as well but in retrospect the game wouldn't have been nearly as engaging for nearly as long without them.

This is very much a style over substance game, The style is just compelling enough that it carries it.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

rage quit this the other day, was chilling for about half an hour collecting a whole bunch of stuff, ticked off about 3 quests worth of items on this dive then about 20 meters from the surface was ganked by a swarm of catfish

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m in chapter 3 and I just now saw the menu board on the back showing how much people have eaten. I’ve been wasting sushi. How do I know how much of something I should put out?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've beaten the game and only just realized you can set menu items to "auto supply", so you can just put one of a thing on the menu and they'll keep making more as requested (while ingredients last) instead of running out/over.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m in chapter 3 and I just now saw the menu board on the back showing how much people have eaten. I’ve been wasting sushi. How do I know how much of something I should put out?

You can check how many people you get on average and build to that, in theory. I tend to just put 2-3 meals out and a bunch of sushi I have highly upgraded and have a bunch of meat for at 1/1 and auto supply. Going all in on 1-2 meals is worth the ingredients, especially ones where the ingredients are mostly trivial to get a lot of, they become serious money makers quick. You can make good money this way without having to min/max much.

The downside to autosupply I think is that you burn through more wasabi, but once you get staff grinding that is your only job so it's not an issue at all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This game was a lot of fun but I agree with all the previous comments about it straying too far from the core gameplay loop the further you get into it. A lot of additions feel like "hey wouldn't it be cool if we added x?" and forcing it to work, and I either have to ignore them or spend more time every day not doing the most fun part (diving and sushi).

After I beat the story I was going to keep going to try and get a few more achievements (either in game or just personal goals) but I just hit a point after a dive where I came back to the boat and was just like "ok I'm done now." I think (late game addition) the branch should just be able to pull from your own inventory instead of needing to track ingredients and send them there myself, or something else that doesn't end up with me just sending them all my tuna and calling it a day because I can't be assed to remember everything all my dishes need

Still looking forward to the DLC though.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah I want to see how they're going to fill the last two fish pens

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Is there much of a bonus for upgrading your employees past a few levels?

I feel like the last couple of nights, the only thing I needed to do was clear dishes and grind wasabi, the crew handled everything else way faster.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Deki posted:

Is there much of a bonus for upgrading your employees past a few levels?

I feel like the last couple of nights, the only thing I needed to do was clear dishes and grind wasabi, the crew handled everything else way faster.

I usually upgrade them at least until they unlock their two traits/abilities. Having two servers with the drink server trait reduced the stress of running the restaurant a lot.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Level 7 to get both of their skills, after that it's up to you.

Unfortunately the "makes drinks" trait does not work for cocktails, which is annoying. Ideally you want "drink serving", "wasabi refill", and "cleaning master" (Il Nino has "drink serving master" and "cleaning master" and a maximum serving trait of 1033, highly recommend the Lucha Libre guy). Itsuki (the ninja) has drink serving and "irresistible charm" so I've got a luchador and a ninja doing the food running etc. which is great fun.

Apparently there's a guy named Raptor that can cover wasabi and cocktails, might have to try to find him.

Worth noting: you can stop refilling wasabi at any time, you don't have to go fully to 100% if it's late in the evening and you're just trying to fire the last few bits of sushi.

stringless fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 24, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nino and Raptor are my two servers, they're pretty much perfect because they get high serving and cover everything but wasabi

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

What I've learned playing this:
  • Be sparing with your menu. Once you have a foothold, you probably want at most 2-3 batches of fancy multi-serving dishes, and then just a single serving of something both expensive and easily replenishable, set to autosupply. I have never once needed more than 3 slots for the menu.
  • Be careful about upgrading your restaurant ranking, and make sure you have the staff to deal with it in advance. I've had the Platinum rank available for at least 5 days at this point and I still don't want to get it because it increases daily expenses by something like 5x, and the increase in customers has not been anywhere near enough to offset that. A night's net earnings at Gold rank gives me 11k, which drops to 5k if I go to Platinum.
  • Unlock the tranq rifle ASAP. It's cheap, easy to make, effective, and remains the weapon I bring with me for 90% of my outings.

I've kind of petered out at this point in the game, diving has lost its novelty and I have to deal with a minimum of 3 shark attacks per dive, I've seen every possible iteration of the map 20 times over, and I'm both thankful for the distractions the newer mechanics offer, and resent them for stalling forward progress that much more. But hey, I got at least 27 thoroughly enjoyable hours out of it.

e: Oh yeah, and I swear the... translation? Is getting steadily worse as the story progresses. I've never had difficulty figuring out what anyone is saying, but the manner in which people talk is getting progressively more and more stilted and evidently not written by someone with English as their first language.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 25, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The way I would characterize this game after like 60 hours of gameplay is that it's a best-case scenario of style over substance. It's an extremely shallow game that distracts from that fact by adding a bunch of other shallow gameplay mechanics and using excellent visual design in introducing them.

Is it going to be some incredible masterpiece that stands the test of time and can allow you to lose 400 hours in it? No. That said however much amount of time you invest in it you're going to enjoy.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

For $20 I had a great time with it, but yeah I'm pretty much done until the DLC that's probably coming eventually.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FFT posted:

Unfortunately the "makes drinks" trait does not work for cocktails, which is annoying. Ideally you want "drink serving", "wasabi refill", and "cleaning master" (Il Nino has "drink serving master" and "cleaning master" and a maximum serving trait of 1033, highly recommend the Lucha Libre guy). Itsuki (the ninja) has drink serving and "irresistible charm" so I've got a luchador and a ninja doing the food running etc. which is great fun.

Apparently there's a guy named Raptor that can cover wasabi and cocktails, might have to try to find him.

Cohhcarnage is a cameo staff member and also gets the cocktail trait, I ended up using him later in the game. Never watched his stream but he seems to get added into a bunch of games as an easter egg.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

he's a variety streamer that regularly hits 10k+ viewers so yeah he has relationships with a ton of devs

I actually found as I got later in the game that I wished I could turn off the plate cleaning trait for the Luchador because he doesn't clean much faster than I could and in the time he takes to clean it he could have served two or three more orders while I wouldn't even finish one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Epic High Five posted:

Nino and Raptor are my two servers, they're pretty much perfect because they get high serving and cover everything but wasabi

Fully leveled they also cover Wasabi though? But I usually put myself on Wasabi duty

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If they do wasabi they wait for it to actually run out, which is waiting too long. Can't remember all the details, main thing is covering cocktails as Dave is a mixologist disaster

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Epic High Five posted:

If they do wasabi they wait for it to actually run out, which is waiting too long. Can't remember all the details, main thing is covering cocktails as Dave is a mixologist disaster

The controls for the cocktail machine are confusing and you don't get much time to actually practice it during a shift. I went on a multi-day hiring campaign just to find someone who could handle cocktails.

The ideal servers would cover:
- Drinks
- Cocktails
- Cleaning

I haven't found a pair of servers that cover it all, but I have drinks and cocktails covered, which is the biggest pain point.

I'm in chapter... 6? Just got to the geothermal vents and while I admire that the game keeps throwing new things at me, some of the mechanics later in the game seem like they weren't fully thought out. In particular, there are a couple of boss fights that require you to do specific things, but you aren't given enough feedback when you fail.

In particular:

The jellyfish: His eyes become big and red, which -- since I've played a video game before -- made me think I needed to specifically hit his eyes. This doesn't work, because the projectiles fire from his "face", plus if you touch him that low even during the "hit me" phase, you often still take damage. I had to look up a walkthrough before realizing I was just supposed to bonk him on top of his head.

The dinosharkthing above the control room door: The missile launcher absolutely refused to do anything the first few times I picked it up. It wouldn't start the lock-on process even when it was ready to fire. I watched a YouTube video and saw that I'd been doing the right thing. After a few more tries, it just started working. There was no feedback at all about how to use it or what to expect, so I was instead trying to get the shark to swallow it when he did the "suck up rocks" animation.

Anyway, I've had a lot of fun, but I think I'm ready for the game to be over.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WhiteHowler posted:

The controls for the cocktail machine are confusing and you don't get much time to actually practice it during a shift. I went on a multi-day hiring campaign just to find someone who could handle cocktails.

The ideal servers would cover:
- Drinks
- Cocktails
- Cleaning

I haven't found a pair of servers that cover it all, but I have drinks and cocktails covered, which is the biggest pain point.

Staffing spoilers?
This set up is the closest I got to making the restaurant fully automated, but they do miss orders/cleanups, especially if I don't help on Wasabi:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My experience is there's a few combinations with El nino that can do everything but the wasabi and the wasabi is like five button presses a night so wanting to avoid that seems kind of lazy honestly.

If you want to get five stars regularly it's generally a good idea to hang out in the middle of the bar and grab every plate you can because that's got the lowest turnaround time before people leave. This might just be an impression but it seems like people leave dirty plates behind a lot more often during events, I had one moment In the post game where I swear there were 15 empty plates left at the same time. Caught myself muttering about the filthy cruise ship passengers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

skeleton warrior posted:

How reflexes dependent is the game? I've heard everyone raving about it, but I have the reaction speed and agility of a dead fish, so I'd like to know that I'm not going to just suck at the game before I jump in.
Not. I suck suck suck at reflex games, and this one's fine for me. To give you an example: it took me a ridiculous amount of time to succeed at the Stardew Valley fishing game.

explosivo posted:

The net gun is a good option for the same reason, and both the net gun and the sleep dart can be upgraded to let you net/sleep larger things like sharks and tuna. The real GOAT however is the red squeaky hammer because you just need to swim up to something and mash melee until it falls asleep then scoop it up. And it works with anything (except for boss-rear end bosses)
My God, the squeaky hammer is GOOD?!?! My little world just shattered.

Tuna question: Why am I supposed to be able to catch more tuna when I only got one trap?

Restaurant question: Can somebody explain to me how I know how many dishes to cook?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not. I suck suck suck at reflex games, and this one's fine for me. To give you an example: it took me a ridiculous amount of time to succeed at the Stardew Valley fishing game.

My God, the squeaky hammer is GOOD?!?! My little world just shattered.

Tuna question: Why am I supposed to be able to catch more tuna when I only got one trap?

Restaurant question: Can somebody explain to me how I know how many dishes to cook?

Shoot the Tuna with a gun or your harpoon until it dies and harvest the fillets. You get a little bit less meat and you dont get the highest grade of the three (not stars, there are three different "cuts") but it's worth it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Halp! Sharks are kicking my butt. I have a Dragonbite Harpoon Gun and a Tranquilizer Mosin-Nagant, but neither will kill a shark before it kills me.

While we're at it, I'm stuck at Gold level in the sushi place.

I have been upgrading all my recipes, but I can't get anything to a taste of 250. What should I be trying to cook?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Halp! Sharks are kicking my butt. I have a Dragonbite Harpoon Gun and a Tranquilizer Mosin-Nagant, but neither will kill a shark before it kills me.

I have been upgrading all my recipes, but I can't get anything to a taste of 250. What should I be trying to cook?

I think the sailfish was what my 250 dish ended up being. Whatever one shows up in the submerged wreck on the lower left of the first area sometimes. Taste goes up by a linear amount when upgrading a dish so just go into a level up and see how much a dish increases and you can math it out from there. There's quite a few that go up by like 40 or 50 per level.

As far as Sharks go, I just learned their patterns so I could dodge them so I don't have a better answer for you there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The trinket that gives you a little dash has saved my bacon a hundred times, makes sharks a lot easier, but if you're just killing them and not whisking them away you may be better served by the shotgun

Upgraded meals break 250 in a hurry. If you don't have one that's heading there just give it a little time, one will come along.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
tranq rifle is the midgame weapon, sniper rifle is imo the endgame weapon (go the shock route, enforced slow is completely nuts and if you happen to pull the upgrade mats it combines with lightning for many lols)

final upgrade of the sleep dart also owns bones vs sharks but is completely worthless against bosses

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Neither Salt nor Soy Sauce has dropped in ages,so I can't make any meals :(

Also, what's the shock route?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Neither Salt nor Soy Sauce has dropped in ages,so I can't make any meals :(

Also, what's the shock route?

If you have employees not working you can send them on ingredient runs on their management screen

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

DoubleT2172 posted:

If you have employees not working you can send them on ingredient runs on their management screen
Whoa. That's life-changing. Where do you find seaweed? I've been way deep and never spotted it. Kelp, yes, agar, yes, never seaweed.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Seaweed is usually super shallow

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Go deeper for better-tasting fish.

Also, the menu can be sorted by taste, price, level etc

And yeah, generic seaweed is mostly above 50m iirc

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seaweed is the one that looks like a pipe cleaner.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

There's a dev update for upcoming changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag_mWy5ElY0

It's got auto complete of qte, mid dive inventory sorting, color blind friendly options, better beluga and various other qol stuff. Looks real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

For the Scolding from Yoshie quest, do I need to put the shark head on the menu before I can serve it to Yoshie? Is there any risk of another customer bogarting it?