Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

For the Scolding from Yoshie quest, do I need to put the shark head on the menu before I can serve it to Yoshie? Is there any risk of another customer bogarting it?

IIRC the shark head recipe makes 5 so you should be good regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

She also orders it like instantly so I don't think it's even a worry

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yoshie got her head, crisis averted

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That actress was right, that recipe sucks.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tagichatn posted:

There's a dev update for upcoming changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag_mWy5ElY0

It's got auto complete of qte, mid dive inventory sorting, color blind friendly options, better beluga and various other qol stuff. Looks real good.

The best thing there is the auto-sell-aside-from-two-fish on the farm

My 250 was some kind of shark, I think thresher?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I wound up getting it from max-level giant trevally sushi. Which is great, because trevallys(ies) neither run away nor try to bite you. Now I'm stuck trying to find the damned spike again; after I went back up to the surface, the merpeople weren't around any more, and I've forgotten where I saw them originally.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Halp! Sharks are kicking my butt. I have a Dragonbite Harpoon Gun and a Tranquilizer Mosin-Nagant, but neither will kill a shark before it kills me.

While we're at it, I'm stuck at Gold level in the sushi place.

I have been upgrading all my recipes, but I can't get anything to a taste of 250. What should I be trying to cook?

I was continuously tranqing and netting the narwhal. I would even get some narwhal eggs to make the process go faster. YOu only need to bring that to something like level 7 or 8. so that was easily doable.

Of course this makes me an eco-terrorist, but them's the breaks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ah yes, narwhal eggs

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

picked this up after one of my friends streamed it & I was drawn in by how pretty the game was. a week later i've put in 30 hours and finished the main story.

why is vegetable sushi the most profitable thing? am i missing some killer fish recipe somewhere

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hwurmp posted:

ah yes, narwhal eggs

you'd be surprised how many people have angrily posted about this

oldskool posted:

picked this up after one of my friends streamed it & I was drawn in by how pretty the game was. a week later i've put in 30 hours and finished the main story.

why is vegetable sushi the most profitable thing? am i missing some killer fish recipe somewhere

i am physically repulsed by the idea of using your precious boring crops on vegetable sushi

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

oldskool posted:

I don't know all the recipes, but the Tropical Fish Sushi Set you get from Michael Bang has been big bucks for me and uses very easy-to-catch fish

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Halp! Sharks are kicking my butt. I have a Dragonbite Harpoon Gun and a Tranquilizer Mosin-Nagant, but neither will kill a shark before it kills me.

Fire Sniper is where it's at :golgo:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This game owns a lot but I kind of feel like I blitzed through the main story way faster than intended, and even though there's a ton of upgrades left on the management side I don't have a whole lot left to fish for. My first Gyao hasn't even died yet.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 9, 2023

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Hwurmp posted:

This game owns a lot but I kind of feel like I blitzed through the main story way faster than intended, and even though there's a ton of upgrades left on the management side I don't have a whole lot left to fish for. My first Gyao hasn't even died yet.

I finished the game and never unlocked cocktails, or the really good staff. Not really complaining, it was a fun little story, but I was ready for it to be over and wasn't fussed about not unlocking yet another thing to min/max.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

oldskool posted:

why is vegetable sushi the most profitable thing?

That's weird. Anthony Bourdain's Jiro would disapprove.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vegetable sushi sucks. Way too many ingredients for one dish.

I had a place I went to in Korea. My Mom and Aunts visited me while I was getting married and I took them to my sushi place, with a really talented, friendly chef. One of my aunts just sooooooaaaaked every piece in soy sauce and wasabi. The entire time we are eating the chef was just stone faced, looked like he was gutshot. I had to rush back in after we left and explain Aunt Laurie has no taste, she wasn't trying to be insulting she was just ignorant.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I've seen chefs get angry customers aren't "eating right" but they also make zero effort to communicate with the customers about "the right way," so it's really no biggie, just the usual psycho chef behavior.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Would you say it represents the duality of man?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Nah, I'm a Monad guy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Animal-Mother posted:

That's weird. Anthony Bourdain's Jiro would disapprove.

Man, all that guy did was to say "Me too." I don't think he deserved the brunt of the ire.
On the other hand he had a soul patch, so gently caress him.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

I've seen chefs get angry customers aren't "eating right" but they also make zero effort to communicate with the customers about "the right way," so it's really no biggie, just the usual psycho chef behavior.

This guy didn't speak English.

It's common knowledge that you don't soak good food in condiments. That's the story about how I learned Aunt Laurie is a philistine.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Big patch today, including the option to skip harpoon QTEs.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Hwurmp posted:

Wow! Maybe I'll pick up the fire tip for a second time now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I was continuously tranqing and netting the narwhal. I would even get some narwhal eggs to make the process go faster. YOu only need to bring that to something like level 7 or 8. so that was easily doable.

Of course this makes me an eco-terrorist, but them's the breaks.
I have a tranq rifle, I guess I start leveling it up.

Goon who didn't unlock cocktails, you are lucky. They are tedious, easy to mess up, and waste a lot of time.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Hwurmp posted:

Just beat the game a couple of days ago and this would have made it much more enjoyable. The harpoon qtes that made you wiggle the sticks were the wooooorst

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Horn posted:

Just beat the game a couple of days ago and this would have made it much more enjoyable. The harpoon qtes that made you wiggle the sticks were the wooooorst

that one's still there, this just replaces the default harpoon & the dodge a charging fish ones with holding the button instead of mashing

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Just wanted to hop in and say I've been unexpectedly obsessed with this game that I thought would just be an amusing time killer. Something about the loop of "go get fish, now serve the fish" is just very satisfying in the way that it's presented. Honestly, I could do without all the sea people nonsense but it hasn't ruined the game for me at all. It's just very charming.

Except everyone is just so mean to Dave. Let my boy just chill and eat sushi. :(

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Suspicious Cook posted:

Except everyone is just so mean to Dave. Let my boy just chill and eat sushi. :(
Does Dave even get to eat sushi at all through the game? I feel like it's possible that it happened once or twice in a cinematic?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he gets to eat seaweed dumplings

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Hwurmp posted:

Amazing. I stopped playing on my Steam Deck because I was afraid I'd fling the thing across the room.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

Does Dave even get to eat sushi at all through the game? I feel like it's possible that it happened once or twice in a cinematic?

I just assumed that's where the unsold plates went.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

I just assumed that's where the unsold plates went.
That would explain why he never changes body shape in spite of doing enormous amounts of physical exercise. He ought to have thighs straight out of The Triplets of Belleville by now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FFT posted:

if you trash a plate instead of serving it he just eats it

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

TIL with proper aim & good timing you can net Bluespotted Stargazers & Spider Crabs. The full 3* Marinca dream lives on.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Just got into this game and since i have a week off, have already played like 10 hours since Thursday. I'm starting to max my diving items, and am a day or two after the jellyfish festival, as a marker of where I am.

Overall it's fantastic but I have some brief thoughts, I hope the creator of the game might find this at some point if they're searching around, but either way had some thoughts: :shrug:

1) The harpoon and guns feel fantastic. It's really fun to harpoon fish, and netting a bunch of fish at once is super fun too. The only problem is that the Large Net Gun is one of the cheapest guns to upgrade and is also something you always want to have on you.

At the risk of being hyperbolic, I think it's obvious that the net guns should be their own class of gun. That would also mean you could have various nets, and it could be like pokeball types. That would own.

Also true of melee weapons. From day 1 you should be have one non violent weapon and one damage dealing weapon. Again, this offers a ton of opportunity to customize all of these options.

The end result of how few weapon/guns you can carry in the water is that it's easy to feel a little forced to bring certain things. The UV light comes to mind. The net gun comes to mind, though of course you can specify that loadout if you expect to fight a boss... still though, it just feels clunky and kind of bad. I get that you can use the charm to avoid the UV gun enemies, but cmon dude. You're wasting a slot to get rid of these lame impediments to getting places. That's fun at first but once you've done it a few times, just give us a way to avoid them permanently if we want.

2) The taxi cab belugas in the sea people town are cute in practice but suck rear end in reality. The animation to board one takes forever, you can't even park it outside an establishment (it just goes away) and it inexplicably costs money?

The creator of the game seems to have a bone to pick here, which is why the dialog goes out of its way to say that of course you would pay for the services of the belugas. Sure. I am all in, but make it a pass which costs a chunk of change but then you get permanent or monthly access. Cut the animation to board one by 90% (or even better, let the user set that as a preference in the bell interface) and have some way to have your beluga either chill outside waiting for you when you enter a building, or if morality is the issue, have the user auto-call a new beluga when they exit a building if one was active entering that building.

3) I love the idea of predatory fish, and they are really fun in the beginning, but just get annoying as hell 90% of the time later. The game seemingly tries to fix this? In the sense that your diving suit is more camouflaged the better suit you have, I guess? But it's barely mattered in my playthrough. You constantly get attacked by trashy predators and if you don't want to use your ranged weapon (if you even have one, you probably have a large net gun because you can't have both) then you are forced to use your harpoon gun and then immediately toss their garbage fish corpses out of your inventory, which is wasteful and strange.

Predatory animals should recognize a higher ranked predator when they see one, as the inhabitants of the hole get to know how scary you are. I mean, poo poo, you're basically a god who wanders into the hole and mass murders and captures half the animals there. As you increase in suit depth level, it should give you the optional ability to auto-deter predators up to a certain level. Huge quality of life change imo.

4) Music service integration would be incredible for the soundtrack, but obviously not a priority. I would bet that most people turn off the music eventually. There's just not enough of it for it to be a primary source of tunes.

5) It would be fantastic if, during boss fights, Dave could engage some kind of plot device that let him move a lot faster in the water, and shoot faster, and make your bullets infinite. Then you could speed up the pace of the battle quite a bit, which would be fun. Or it could be kind of a Bullet Hell kind of thing? Just a thought. The combat in Dave the Diver is pretty bad and easy, which is maybe the thing I like least about it, but there's no real reason it has to be this way; an expansion could add more dynamics to fighting other than just dodging some predictable af things, do the boss gimmick, repeat like 2 or 3 times because bosses are tissue paper in this game.

Overall, absolutely love this game and will definitely either beat or 100% since I'm off work for over a week.

e: oh and btw the bones of this game are incredible; an expansion which overhauls the minor QOL and weapon issues, and adds a bunch more content would be godly. Please do that. A more involved story would be great as well. This game is like playing a much less scary Subnautica; I have bad thalassophobia (despite being a surfer for 20 years, weird one...) so I can't even really play Subnautica without freaking out. I feel like there's nearly endless potential to make this title one of the best indie games in years if the expansion is treated right.

Seriously, the format of this game has so much potential that a AAA studio should be kramering in to offer to partner and increase the scope of this title.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 27, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taima posted:

1) The harpoon and guns feel fantastic. It's really fun to harpoon fish, and netting a bunch of fish at once is super fun too. The only problem is that the Large Net Gun is one of the cheapest guns to upgrade and is also something you always want to have on you.

The top-tier Hush Dart is more useful in the late game imo

quote:

3) I love the idea of predatory fish, and they are really fun in the beginning, but just get annoying as hell 90% of the time later. The game seemingly tries to fix this? In the sense that your diving suit is more camouflaged the better suit you have, I guess? But it's barely mattered in my playthrough. You constantly get attacked by trashy predators and if you don't want to use your ranged weapon (if you even have one, you probably have a large net gun because you can't have both) then you are forced to use your harpoon gun and then immediately toss their garbage fish corpses out of your inventory, which is wasteful and strange.

Titan Triggerfish, at least, can be used as part of a valuable dish

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Oh snap(per)! That's a hot tip thank you, I'll keep that in mind. It would be great if we could have one non lethal and one lethal for both the melee and ranged weapon types.

Hwurmp posted:

Titan Triggerfish, at least, can be used as part of a valuable dish

That's fair but maybe they shouldn't be... :shrug: it's analogous to the issue games like FF7 have where you just kind of... have to fight weak things all the time, or move around them deliberately, both of these options are boring imo

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 27, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Re: the beluga animation: it can be skipped.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Taima posted:

Seriously, the format of this game has so much potential that a AAA studio should be kramering in to offer to partner and increase the scope of this title.

fwiw Mint Rocket is already a subsidiary of Nexon, they were put together because they wanted to fund smaller and more focused indie-scale projects after their last AAA pile bombed. Dave gave them a crazy return on their investment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ahh ok good shout on Nexon. I appreciate all the help yall!

Is there any reason to stock multiple dishes during a sushi evening vs. just having a single 1x of each dish and doing auto supply? I don't get that mechanic at all. There must be something more to it because if you can just do 1x auto supply, what is the point of even having a button- just auto supply everything?

Also there are a few dishes that are very profitable AND use relatively low grade fish (like the tropical trio or whatever), does it make sense to stick to those types of dishes? It feels a little boring. And I would hate if a sushi place only stocked a couple of options. But I can't really see a downside?

I just finished the "fight" with the huge zombie dude, this game owns. I just unlocked tuna and that's been really fun. Bluefin is my favorite sushi by far; I lived right at the beach in Santa Cruz for about 10 years (just moved away to Seattle last fall) and we were a bit too far north for native bluefin but every few years the water would be right and we would have a long fall season of buying fresh, never frozen bluefin off the docks. Incredible memories.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 28, 2023