Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Taima posted:

Is there any reason to stock multiple dishes during a sushi evening vs. just having a single 1x of each dish and doing auto supply? I don't get that mechanic at all. There must be something more to it because if you can just do 1x auto supply, what is the point of even having a button- just auto supply everything?
Some recipes make more than one dish as output, and if they're on auto-supply that can end up being wasteful when one gets auto-supplied and three of four get wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taima posted:

Also there are a few dishes that are very profitable AND use relatively low grade fish (like the tropical trio or whatever), does it make sense to stick to those types of dishes? It feels a little boring. And I would hate if a sushi place only stocked a couple of options. But I can't really see a downside?

This was always kind of funny to me because of how completely counter to Bancho's mantra around cooking it is.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
That's a good point regarding dishes that make several with one set of ingredients, good call.

New Questions, hah, sorry to blow y'all up. I just came into 12 days of PTO that were randomly scheduled so I didn't have time to plan a vacation or anything (plus my wife is still working as usual) so I'm just kickin it and playin some Dave (and probably Starfield...!)

1) The game got significantly harder everywhere and I'm curious why or how, is it because I unlocked the ice world? The game was pretty easy so I have no real issue with it, just curious. It feels like literally everything is rougher- much less oxygen spawns, much more aggressive sharks, less spawning of tools nearby to where those tools are required. It kind of intrigues me, does this mean the endgame and postgame will get difficult? That would be pretty great, as my one real issue with the game before now is that there as no difficulties and until I unlocked Ice World it felt impossible to lose at anything including bosses.

2) It seems like maybe the ice world mineral veins need you to upgrade your knife instead of spawning a pick nearby? I never saw a pick in the icy area, but maybe one could be brought down from the main area? Or yeah- is the knife upgrade the only way to reliably do this?

3) I have enough rizz to get to Platinum Cooksta, but my Max Taste is only at 180/250. I assume this is just the tastiest dish you've ever served, but drat, 250 feels like a lot? The best route I have right now to accomplish this is to level up bluefin or yellowfin Ootoro, but that would take a LOT more tuna. It takes 10x Ootoro to raise the taste to 205, so it would probably have enough Taste Factor at say, level 7-8, which would probably require like 60-100 more Ootoro.

That's just so much otoro though. Days of getting lucky with spawns and using all of your drone charges. Is this really the best way to accomplish this goal?

4) Can you upgrade how Dave performs as a server? Right now my staff are so dope that all I do is clean up dishes? lol

IcePhoenix posted:

This was always kind of funny to me because of how completely counter to Bancho's mantra around cooking it is.

100%! It's not just about the principle of it either, it shows a major weakness of the sushi game in general. The concept of omakase is just... not there.

The whole point of a high end sushi joint is to have the freshest, highest quality fish, while maintaining a good variety. That's why at a really expensive sushi restaurant, you're usually not just ordering rolls or whatever. You're letting the chef take you on a journey based on the poo poo they found at the market or their vendors, that morning. And it's always several fish being used. That's definitely what bancho would get up to if given the chance.

Maybe there's a penalty for serving dishes too frequently or something, that would be the easiest way, or... just make the sushi part better? What about minigames that determine the quality of the dishes? Omakase style serving what's good in that moment? Right now there is zero reason not to focus on a small amount of hilariously good dishes like some kind of sushi Mcdonalds and then just calling it a night.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm really sad that you don't get a bonus for variety. I do it anyway, because my little imaginary people would be sad at eating only ootoro even if they are too introverted to show it. The major problem, for me, with putting dishes as opposed to sushi on autopilot is that you quickly run out of condiments.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taima posted:

2) It seems like maybe the ice world mineral veins need you to upgrade your knife instead of spawning a pick nearby? I never saw a pick in the icy area, but maybe one could be brought down from the main area? Or yeah- is the knife upgrade the only way to reliably do this?

You can bring a pick down from the depths, but you'll want to start skipping straight to the ice zone sooner or later. Upgrading your knife is best.

quote:

3) I have enough rizz to get to Platinum Cooksta, but my Max Taste is only at 180/250. I assume this is just the tastiest dish you've ever served, but drat, 250 feels like a lot? The best route I have right now to accomplish this is to level up bluefin or yellowfin Ootoro, but that would take a LOT more tuna. It takes 10x Ootoro to raise the taste to 205, so it would probably have enough Taste Factor at say, level 7-8, which would probably require like 60-100 more Ootoro.

That's just so much otoro though. Days of getting lucky with spawns and using all of your drone charges. Is this really the best way to accomplish this goal?

Some fish in the ice zone & deeper should be able to get to 250 taste, and not require droning.

quote:

4) Can you upgrade how Dave performs as a server? Right now my staff are so dope that all I do is clean up dishes? lol

You can't, but some employees can learn to clean up :v:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 29, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm really sad that you don't get a bonus for variety. I do it anyway, because my little imaginary people would be sad at eating only ootoro even if they are too introverted to show it. The major problem, for me, with putting dishes as opposed to sushi on autopilot is that you quickly run out of condiments.

Ah, yeah- re: condiments, sounds like you get some more later in the game? My hires do all the busy work including making the wasabi. My sides and drinks are: beer, tea, wasabi. And I have staff perks for all three so far, so I literally just do nothing (pick up dirty dishes only) while the sushi game runs.

That is another bit of a weird quirk of the game btw. Pouring beer and tea just loving sucks. I don't mind the minigame, it's... ok? The tea one is fun enough. The beer one is alright but feels a little random to me so far. But it just takes SO loving LONG to serve a drat drink in this game.

In the mid-early game the restaurant throws so many drinks in your face that you literally cannot fulfill them all while still serving all the food sometimes. Then, when a staff member gets the skill to pour drinks, they pour the drink in like 2 seconds. They also move 9 times faster than my fat rear end.

So far I haven't found a way to make Dave a better server and its just bizarre how it works out. Just sit around and clean up dirty dishes and nothing else, dope.

Btw can you set the menu in the morning, then go dive in the evening and have Bancho run the sushi place without you even being there?

Hwurmp posted:

You can't, but some employees can learn to clean up :v:

Well, poo poo. lol

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 29, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taima posted:

Ah, yeah- re: condiments, sounds like you get some more later in the game? My hires do all the busy work including making the wasabi. My sides and drinks are: beer, tea, wasabi. And I have staff perks for all three so far, so I literally just do nothing (pick up dirty dishes only) while the sushi game runs.

Hire some extra staff and you can send them out to collect condiments. Some are better at it than others.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ooh word I don't think I have been given that option yet. That's cool. I have got some mayo from the ice zone. Or is this something I can do and just missed? In terms of where I am in the game, I just got introduced to Marlin and got the email announcing the festival in 3 days.

Btw I really enjoy how random the staff hires are and it makes me wonder if some of the shittiest-looking hires are actually secretly the best. I have Maki at level 7 and she has loving 470 cooking skill LOL

Unfortunately no one has good Procurement which might be something important to get? My highest procurement so far is 250, idk if thats enough..?

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 29, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taima posted:

Ooh word I don't think I have been given that option yet. That's cool. I have got some mayo from the ice zone. Or is this something I can do and just missed?

You actually have that option the moment you unlock being able to hire staff. I think it either just doesn't tell you about it or it's easily missable because I didn't notice until I had people on the bench and was browsing the menus to see what I could do.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taima posted:

Btw I really enjoy how random the staff hires are and it makes me wonder if some of the shittiest-looking hires are actually secretly the best. I have Maki at level 7 and she has loving 470 cooking skill LOL

Maki has the highest cooking skill out of everyone, which is nice since it'd feel bad to bench her

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Taima posted:

Ooh word I don't think I have been given that option yet. That's cool. I have got some mayo from the ice zone. Or is this something I can do and just missed? In terms of where I am in the game, I just got introduced to Marlin and got the email announcing the festival in 3 days.
All of the 3 day festivals are random reoccurring events. They don't represent any kind of progression in the game.

quote:

Unfortunately no one has good Procurement which might be something important to get? My highest procurement so far is 250, idk if thats enough..?

There is only a finite number of staff available, hire everybody. I think there are 21 staff total in the game. Anyone not working in the bar should be sent on dispatch (go to waiting room -> details -> dispatch) DAILY to get condiments. Even if they have a low procurement value and only return with one item... that still one free item per day. Once you have hired a hand full of staff just hanging out in the waiting room you'll be floating in condiments.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

drewhead posted:

All of the 3 day festivals are random reoccurring events. They don't represent any kind of progression in the game.

I'm pretty sure on the first run through the game they aren't random. Maybe after you've cycled through all of them they randomize but I find it hard to believe that my events happened in the same order on the exact same days as the streamer I was occasionally watching play the game too.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Taima posted:

It's really important to look at peoples max stats on the hiring menu (I think the only time it appears) as some ppl have crap initial stats but grow into monsters

Also I got my max taste off thresher sharks I believe

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Alctel posted:

It's really important to look at peoples max stats on the hiring menu (I think the only time it appears) as some ppl have crap initial stats but grow into monsters

Also I got my max taste off thresher sharks I believe

Thanks for the tip that is good to know. That's also the only time they tell you about their unlockable skills; they never show it again. Super loving weird decisions.

drewhead posted:

There is only a finite number of staff available, hire everybody. I think there are 21 staff total in the game. Anyone not working in the bar should be sent on dispatch (go to waiting room -> details -> dispatch) DAILY to get condiments. Even if they have a low procurement value and only return with one item... that still one free item per day. Once you have hired a hand full of staff just hanging out in the waiting room you'll be floating in condiments.

I was told that staff soaks up money even if they aren't being used, is that not true?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Btw I love that one of the central plot points is that Dave is fat and also a diver, that's funny and I can actually relate as I was an overweight surfer at one point and let me tell you, wetsuits reveal all.

But I feel like they take it a bit far. I am not offended at all by the caricature, but for example Dave gets winded and it makes him a terrible server. He flails around helplessly while your squad does everything, and does it faster than you.

I get it, he is fat, he can't do things, but that's just like... not fun? Why is the goal to have Dave do nothing while the restaurant is open? Is that enjoyable? Even stranger, the game has this whole thing about being self sufficient and succeeding through hard work. Then at the end of the day you can pretty much just go take a shower while the sushi event happens because Dave is apparently a hot mess who can't do anything no matter how hard you try.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dave fights sharks all day, he is probably tuckered out

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
idk I felt like Dave had plenty to do at the restaurant, it all just depends on how you staff it. like I never hired anyone to cover cocktails because I enjoy doing it myself

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dave isn't lousy at everything at the restaurant because he's overweight, he's lousy because he's a diver who has never worked in one before. Two of my best employees are a velociraptor and a ninja, because they have experience serving and despite the former at least being a more considerable barrier to good service than being a bit on the jolly side. Grinding wasabi so that he has plenty of thinking time to ensure payroll is timely and accurate is exactly what I would have him doing in real life too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

drewhead posted:

Am I paying salary to staff? I've been reluctant to hire more than 2 cooks, 2 waiters, same in branch, 2 dispatchers.

If you think the beer and tea minigames are annoying, just wait until you get to cocktails.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Dave isn't lousy at everything at the restaurant because he's overweight, he's lousy because he's a diver who has never worked in one before. Two of my best employees are a velociraptor and a ninja, because they have experience serving and despite the former at least being a more considerable barrier to good service than being a bit on the jolly side. Grinding wasabi so that he has plenty of thinking time to ensure payroll is timely and accurate is exactly what I would have him doing in real life too.

Hmm, well Dave starts off as a really bad diver and then becomes a good diver. Basically the entire game is becoming good at things, so idk. And I can't really relate to your position that grinding wasabi and doing nonexistent payroll is the fun thing that the people want.

Totally respect your opinion though and honestly a little jealous that wasabi and standing around is what you want out of the sushi minigame, and at the end of the day it's fine and doesn't really affect my fun factor. This game owns.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Am I paying salary to staff? I've been reluctant to hire more than 2 cooks, 2 waiters, same in branch, 2 dispatchers.

If you think the beer and tea minigames are annoying, just wait until you get to cocktails.

I don't know what I'm talking about but for what it's worth I researched this point and people on reddit were saying that all employees draw salary :shrug:

Taima fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 31, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dave starts off as a good diver, and buys fancy equipment so he can dive to the center of the earth

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Got this game instead of Armored Core 6 on the advice of friends. Uncertain which button allows me to launch the fin funnels.

I just did a few days but i'm definitely looking forward to hiring staff.

I figured part of why Dave seems a little crappy at first is he was rusty. He got pulled in from vacation!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Totally respect your opinion though and honestly a little jealous that wasabi and standing around is what you want out of the sushi minigame, and at the end of the day it's fine and doesn't really affect my fun factor. This game owns.

I don't know what I'm talking about but for what it's worth I researched this point and people on reddit were saying that all employees draw salary :shrug:

A) managing the ingredients is what I personally liked.

B) there is a salary but if you max out a couple recipies you can sustain having every staff member at max level.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Awesome man, Sounds like my opinion isn't very popular which is good to know.

Hey btw I'm curious- I just "beat the game" I think? I killed Yawie, that's the end right?

Is there anything I should know at this point in the game, now that I'm in post? I didn't speed run through but beat the game a few days before the end of October. The pacing just seems weird because even as I was beating the game, I was still receiving what felt like large, game changing additional mechanicsc and that part of the game wasn't close to finishing. Nor am I that close to getting the highest Cooksta rating (I think I have one left but not sure). Is that normal?

Also this is a random question but where the heck are the tuna? In the lead up to the tuna event there were tons, which I assume is how the parties work- you get much improved odds during that period- but I literally haven't seen one tuna since then. That slot appears to be occupied by Marlin now? What am I doing wrong?

Taima fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 2, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taima posted:

Hey btw I'm curious- I just "beat the game" I think? I killed Yawie, that's the end right?

Is there anything I should know at this point in the game, now that I'm in post? I didn't speed run through but beat the game a few days before the end of October. The pacing just seems weird because even as I was beating the game, I was still receiving what felt like large, game changing additional mechanicsc and that part of the game wasn't close to finishing. Nor am I that close to getting the highest Cooksta rating (I think I have one left but not sure). Is that normal?

:same:

It sort of seems like you're meant to spend a few days just grinding out the management side of things in between each story objective, but there's absolutely nothing stopping you from rushing straight through.

quote:

Also this is a random question but where the heck are the tuna? In the lead up to the tuna event there were tons, which I assume is how the parties work- you get much improved odds during that period- but I literally haven't seen one tuna since then. That slot appears to be occupied by Marlin now? What am I doing wrong?

Have you finished the marlin festival?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yo when do I unlock staff. I have silver rank and I am ready for it. Do I need to pass a day marker or something?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nessus posted:

Yo when do I unlock staff. I have silver rank and I am ready for it. Do I need to pass a day marker or something?

You've probably unlocked staff already. You have to serve Whole-Roasted Shark Head to Yoshie, and then pay for some hiring ads.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

You've probably unlocked staff already. You have to serve Whole-Roasted Shark Head to Yoshie, and then pay for some hiring ads.
Aw man, that means I have to fight a shark! I'm gonna die like when I played Jaws on the NES!

I think I do have the olive oil already from something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Red/Fire/Explosive Sniper Rifle kills all the sharks

You can find seasonings like olive oil at specific loot spots; iirc they look like red cooking pots with a green glow. Extra employees can also be sent out to gather them.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 3, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

How do I check my inventory in general? I think i've also found gold bars and silver bowls laying around and I'd like to liquidate that for dogecoins or whatever the gently caress our unlicensed sushi establishment uses.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Check the diver box on your boat, or Cobra's sell menu.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hwurmp posted:

Red/Fire/Explosive Sniper Rifle kills all the sharks

You can find seasonings like olive oil at specific loot spots; iirc they look like red cooking pots with a green glow. Extra employees can also be sent out to gather them.

personally i'm partial to electric sniper rifle because lol speed debuff, but really any of the sniper rifles are good

used one on the last relevant boss and it worked way better than messing with the gimmick weapon

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Have you finished the marlin festival?

I have for sure! I think maybe I'm just bad at finding the tuna schools. Also I might be making this up but it seems that if a special fish has spawned, there is usually at least one of them in the hold of the yellow ship. So far it's been pretty consistently true for me, so I guess I was just missing one of the better spots.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 3, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tuna schools should show up in the shallows, above 130m. You'll hear an intermittent splashing noise from them jetting around.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I also read that you can zone into another area like the shipwreck, zone out, and it resets the chance to spawn so that's a slightly less scrupulous way to make them appear too apparently.

Hwurmp posted:

:same:

It sort of seems like you're meant to spend a few days just grinding out the management side of things in between each story objective, but there's absolutely nothing stopping you from rushing straight through.

This in retrospect is one of the weirdest decisions in the game for me. Have you ever played Persona? In that game it's all about maximizing your days to achieve the greatest number of goals. Feeling like your time matters is cool and fun.

I think the developer intended Dave to have a similar mechanic/feel. The game acts like it wants you to use your time wisely in every way possible.

It feels like in the end, the dev couldn't make the game work like that (for whatever reason) so kind of wussed out or gave up on the time management aspect. So we have a game that is suggesting you do things that don't actually matter.

As a result, if you play the game efficiently like it clearly entails you should, you can beat the game way, way WAY before the pacing of the mechanics are anywhere near the same stage. As a result you are pretty much penalized for doing the efficiency thing that the game suggests as the right way to play.

If there is an expansion for this game I would really wish for them to expand the story, and at the same time, tie those mechanics more tightly into the story and make it flow better. And they should make it crystal clear how much time you have to accomplish things (and how important those things are) which is something Persona nails perfectly by having calendar deadlines for story sections. That way you know how long you have to gently caress around, and it's measured in longer stretches of time, not just [3 days until a fish party and if you do well, you are punished by racing ahead of the story beats].

I guess the more I think about it all I'm saying is that Dave needs to either lean way into the efficiency poo poo, in which case they could learn a shitload from the Persona franchise because they are currently making mistakes that are already mechanically solved, or they should make it Stardew Valley and stop even acting like efficiency matters :shrug:

Still like an 8.5/10 game for me and with a good expansion that could be approaching 10/10 territory. I've mentioned it before but the bones on this game are ridiculous. Some games are masterpieces and they use all of their constituent parts to achieve the best version of that vision.

Dave the Diver is already a great game, but the sheer potential is off the charts. Anyways this is probably the last I'll talk about this unless you/someone want to talk mechanics more. Just really really enjoyed this one and hope the devs somehow read this someday.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 3, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Tuna schools should show up in the shallows, above 130m. You'll hear an intermittent splashing noise from them jetting around.
If you've been told you have a tunafest coming up, swim left to right in the shallows across the map. You will run into tuna swimming into easy-to-spot patterns. You should also buy the ball traps every chance you get.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some new content planned for sometime this month, including new missions, a boss, a VIP customer who'll sell you stuff, crabs & lobsters, more night fish, and farm automation.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
A lot of these changes seem kind of rad but I don't think I'll play the game again until I start a new game sometime next year during the doldrums.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Does anything happen from mid chapter 6 to the end of the game that exposes more of the iceberg of this game?

I was super pumped playing this game when dives took like 20 minutes and I could finish a day in an hour. But now that it's like check farms, fill pack of valuable crappie, complete a story event, and the dives are 40 minutes and all the running around adds another 20, I feel like I'm treading water when the core gameplay is just point gun at fish. It feels like there was a little bit of bait and switch with the frequency of mini games early in the game compared to now.

Part of me would hate to put this game on ice but it's starting to feel like I have better examples of every gameplay option waiting just below Steam's surface. But I would likely not have the time or inclination to come back to this fishing hole if I do put it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zedprime posted:

Does anything happen from mid chapter 6 to the end of the game that exposes more of the iceberg of this game?

I was super pumped playing this game when dives took like 20 minutes and I could finish a day in an hour. But now that it's like check farms, fill pack of valuable crappie, complete a story event, and the dives are 40 minutes and all the running around adds another 20, I feel like I'm treading water when the core gameplay is just point gun at fish. It feels like there was a little bit of bait and switch with the frequency of mini games early in the game compared to now.

Part of me would hate to put this game on ice but it's starting to feel like I have better examples of every gameplay option waiting just below Steam's surface. But I would likely not have the time or inclination to come back to this fishing hole if I do put it down.

This was my biggest complaint about the game as well and the short answer to your question is that it doesn't get any better. The QoL updates may have made the downtime a little better than it was around launch but if you're playing right now then you would already have those.