Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If any of y'all want to trivialize the difficulty invest in the sleep dart rifle. 40% chance to make literally anything fall asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah sharks are free money.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

poly and open-minded posted:

I got this during the summer sale and I am having so much fun. Just a chill atmosphere with fun exploration.

My one complaint: narwhal roe

The Imp I knew would have no problems sourcing whale spunk.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Making fish sleep is better than the highest tier net imo. More versatile.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As much as this gameplay doesn't need more overlapping content some sort of morality or ethic system actually would have worked for me. Getting bumps for "invasive" species (which by the way how does that work when other wildlife from all over the world just magically teleports there but aren't invasive somehow?) And breeding and releasing endangered wildlife. Catch too many vulnerable fish in a short period and get a big hit to your social media and even protests at the high end.

Make the narwhal ridiculously expensive to sell but have it basically guarantee that a bunch of people will do a sit-in when you open for a while to deny you spaces. I'd rather have that as a mechanic than a tamagachi or fish wearing hats.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Is that how it works? Maybe you can explain what the 3 dots that appear above the fish when you tranq them means ?

Also I got my rear end kicked by the Great White Shark, so I figured I would come back once I upgraded my oxygen tank and weapons, but now it stopped raining. Did I miss my chance for revenge or does he come back eventually?

Once you get to what I would call midway through the story You gain the ability to upgrade a basic rifle to a sleep dart rifle. It's different from the one that looks like a paintball gun.

It has a 40% chance to put anything that's not a boss to sleep every time you hit it. Most of the time for larger and deeper animals that means you can almost certainly rely on the creature going to sleep before you kill it. It can be a bit of a liability and situations where you actually want to kill things because, if you don't have a drone, You can't keep damaging the creature without waking it up.

Up until the late game if you're trying to collect anything medium or larger alive it's your best choice.

I have to say I hate how they made it impossible to reference what the base stats are for a recipe after you upgrade it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am going to play through until I have enough money to break the game. I really like the planning needed to upgrade dishes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Really? I was worried since the shots are all going to hit at a very slightly different time that they would occasionally cancel each other out when asleep dart procs before the non-sleep one.

I'm working on a super detailed guide for recipes and most of the advice online is loving garbage. The most limiting factor for all of these recipes is farm space and people are recommending a dish that cooks for one item and uses three vegetables. IMO vegetable sushi is one of the worst things you can pick.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Imo the fish farm is for small fish. The big ones breed super slowly and only give you about a quarter of what you get. Max out the drones and get something to put large critters to sleep as soon as you can.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's worth mentioning that it's very possible to beat the story before you unlock everything with the restaurant.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It ends up being 45 at the highest level.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's worth saying that you shouldn't save the boss dishes. If you save them before you know it they'll be the least valuable thing on the menu.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The core gameplay is visually satisfying and engaging but it's very shallow. There were moments where I got annoyed with the distractions during the course of the game as well but in retrospect the game wouldn't have been nearly as engaging for nearly as long without them.

This is very much a style over substance game, The style is just compelling enough that it carries it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The way I would characterize this game after like 60 hours of gameplay is that it's a best-case scenario of style over substance. It's an extremely shallow game that distracts from that fact by adding a bunch of other shallow gameplay mechanics and using excellent visual design in introducing them.

Is it going to be some incredible masterpiece that stands the test of time and can allow you to lose 400 hours in it? No. That said however much amount of time you invest in it you're going to enjoy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My experience is there's a few combinations with El nino that can do everything but the wasabi and the wasabi is like five button presses a night so wanting to avoid that seems kind of lazy honestly.

If you want to get five stars regularly it's generally a good idea to hang out in the middle of the bar and grab every plate you can because that's got the lowest turnaround time before people leave. This might just be an impression but it seems like people leave dirty plates behind a lot more often during events, I had one moment In the post game where I swear there were 15 empty plates left at the same time. Caught myself muttering about the filthy cruise ship passengers.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seaweed is the one that looks like a pipe cleaner.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That actress was right, that recipe sucks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vegetable sushi sucks. Way too many ingredients for one dish.

I had a place I went to in Korea. My Mom and Aunts visited me while I was getting married and I took them to my sushi place, with a really talented, friendly chef. One of my aunts just sooooooaaaaked every piece in soy sauce and wasabi. The entire time we are eating the chef was just stone faced, looked like he was gutshot. I had to rush back in after we left and explain Aunt Laurie has no taste, she wasn't trying to be insulting she was just ignorant.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

I've seen chefs get angry customers aren't "eating right" but they also make zero effort to communicate with the customers about "the right way," so it's really no biggie, just the usual psycho chef behavior.

This guy didn't speak English.

It's common knowledge that you don't soak good food in condiments. That's the story about how I learned Aunt Laurie is a philistine.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

Does Dave even get to eat sushi at all through the game? I feel like it's possible that it happened once or twice in a cinematic?

I just assumed that's where the unsold plates went.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Totally respect your opinion though and honestly a little jealous that wasabi and standing around is what you want out of the sushi minigame, and at the end of the day it's fine and doesn't really affect my fun factor. This game owns.

I don't know what I'm talking about but for what it's worth I researched this point and people on reddit were saying that all employees draw salary :shrug:

A) managing the ingredients is what I personally liked.

B) there is a salary but if you max out a couple recipies you can sustain having every staff member at max level.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A lot of these changes seem kind of rad but I don't think I'll play the game again until I start a new game sometime next year during the doldrums.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This game is ironically very shallow. It's a great core experience and I would recommend it to anyone, But you are absolutely going to end up getting tired of the gameplay loop at some point. For me at least it was well after the end of the story mode.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Guigui posted:

For the fish farm, is it based on exponential growth? I want to try emptying tje garm save but for a few sharks - but they seem to take forever to reproduce (if at all).

It definitely seems at least partially randomized.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As far as I can tell it is based on size. Anything tuna sized and higher seems to be set for a slow birth rate. One of many reasons why it's best to have your main meals based on small fish.

It used to be making produce heavy meals and seaweed heavy meals was a bad idea but they've done a lot to juice your returns for a lot of the shallow water seaweed in particular. These days I'd say it's better to have a recipe you rely on that features a seaweed more than a dish than a large fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, some of the recipes really are traps